Microsoft Doesn't See Sony's PS5 as Competition for the Xbox

You know, I'm almost intrigued enough to look into the past and see what kind of ridiculous, existential crises some of you had when the Xbox 360 dominated the PS3. Because this is borderline ego-driven fanaticism, and those of you so heavily advocating for a brand that couldn't pick you out of a lineup are something else. :lol:

This has nothing to with the Xbox gaming business.

Xbox gaming revenue does not include revenue MS gets for hosting third party content. Thats included in MS's cloud business.

Neither Sony or Nintendo will have trouble finding said cloud services from third parties either.

It's a lame attempt at diversion, because everyone knows Xbox is getting dominated in the gaming industry at the moment.
Spencer is sitting on the Microsoft Board and responsible for everything gaming. This includes their cloud solutions for gaming and B2B businesses. Xbox is just one part of his job. So why shouldn't he be allowed to talk about it?

Nobody said Sony and Nintendo will have trouble finding an cloud partner. This is about Spencer saying that google and amazon are their main competitors, because they have an global cloud infrastructure unlike Sony and Nintendo.

They are/will be consumers to MS, Amazon and google and pay tons of money to get access to Azure, AWS, Google to provide PSN, NOS, PS Now, ... to us end consumers.

It's a lame attempt at diversion, because everyone knows Xbox is getting dominated in the gaming industry at the moment.
He got asked a question and answered it 💡

The only lame attempts i am seeing are made by fanboys...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
"we can't compete at Sony's playfield with their rules, so we decided to make own playfield with own rules" - that's what i hear from MS
Man sometimes, I wonder why do these console wars exist. I mean of course, there's competition but some fans just take their rivalry to a ridiculous level with their overwhelming devotion for one of them.

Man sometimes, I wonder why do these console wars exist. I mean of course, there's competition but some fans just take their rivalry into a ridiculous level with their overwhelming devotion for one of them.
I asked an psychologist and he couldn't explain it to me either. He just said they need a therapy.

Man sometimes, I wonder why do these console wars exist. I mean of course, there's competition but some fans just take their rivalry to a ridiculous level with their overwhelming devotion for one of them.

Many people intertwine their self-identity with the brands they buy - and advertising actually pushes people to make this association, with commercials that try to associate, say, Coca-Cola with some sort of cool "lifestyle" of hip people doing hip things while enjoying an ice cold Coke.

With consoles I think it's a little simpler - lots of people can only afford to own one, and people jealously guard their prideful belief that they "backed the winner", so to speak. And this isn't restricted to PlayStation fanboys - some Xbox fanboys were just as insufferable back when the 360 was ascendant, and the PS3 was struggling to find a firm footing.

It's pathetic, but not that hard to understand.

NPD

GOW 2 - 1.56 million
GOW3 - 2 million +
GOWJ - 620k
GOW4 - ~415K / 505K
GOW 5 - lower than 4

How could I possibly argue with bollocks "NPD" sales figures like "2 million +" and "lower than 4", lol. Gears of War 4's last public sales data put it at around 2.6 million copies sold. Gears of War 3 didn't sell "2 million +" copies - it sold 3 million copies it's first WEEK.

Halo 5 - 935k

This is where I stop taking you seriously at all. No, Halo 5 did not sell fewer copies than Forza Motorsport 6 (though I assume your data shows only 6 copies of FM6 were ever purchased, by some guy named Lou in Kentucky). The last publicly available data point was that Halo 5 sold at least 5 million copies.

Fanboyism is like brain termites.

No platform is the holy grail but the PC platform does seem to be catering more to what the CUSTOMER ACTUALLY WANTS both in the games and the accessories they want to use to play them. I currently have reached a position that I find it not as likely I will make the future purchase a PS5 than where I stood say a year ago
Obviously. You do realize online games are very common nowadays, right? And that especially newer ones can never be played without an internet connection.
That statement concerning online is true regardless of platform used to play the game so I do not see the point of reference or revelence as to what quote of my earlier post you chose to respond to. The statement you quoted has nothing to do with the common traits required of all platforms concerning playing online but was more about the freedom the PC platform gives customers as to accessories they choose to purchase and the addition of 3rd party/community mods that add additional content and/or improve or fix deficiencies in the original games they own.

Also, you "own" a game on Stadia, just as much as you "own" a game on Steam - which is to say, not really at all.

Glad I'm not a PC gamer, I will have the games I buy installed on my HD or buy discs, if had a PC I would buy discs as long as I could, after that, I'm not sure if I would continue to be a gamer.

You own nothing, and any access to Steam games that persists if Steam went away, would be at the discretion of Valve or those publishers - not an actual consumer right. You're buying a limited right to a license of a thing, that they assert the right to revoke at nearly their pleasure.

Actually I own quite a few "Steam" games and after I download the game to my computer I do not need to be connected to the internet or Steam at all to access and play the offline content of my downloaded games. Granted that I cannot update or play any online portions but that would be true whether I owned the game on disc or not.

Modern game discs are little more than a clunky form of DRM thanks to the rise of the day 1 patch. Once the servers go down for a game you will be just as screwed as someone that bought it digitally if you need to re-install it.

Honestly I'll be surprised to see games still getting disc releases in 10 years. They're becoming increasingly obsolete and use alot of plastic for something that will be sitting on a shelf.
I agree and actually many people building new computer systems are not installing any sort of optical drive for reading disc on newer systems. Basically the flash drive has replaced the disc as far as a source to download new material from external sources and disc are pretty much going obsolete.

Also I own what PS4 games I have on disc, in some ways that is a disadvantage because if the laser or any part of the blu-ray drive fails I cannot play my games as by owning the disc version I must insert the disc into an operating drive to access the game. The digital version does eliminate that requirement.

Seems pretty cocky and foolish for them to write off Sony so soon. Cloud gaming isn’t that far yet and Stadia is **** so the bar is pretty low atm, who knows about amazon.

MS has kind of made their console a bit redundant by making everything available on pc anyway.

Disk copies? i haven’t bought one of those for at least 10 years. I got sick of those cases wasting space.

Last edited:
Seems pretty cocky and foolish for them to write off Sony so soon.

He's not writing off Sony, insofar as Sony compete with Microsoft on consoles and video games right now. He has bluntly acknowledged more than once that Sony "won" this console generation.

He's saying Sony and Nintendo are not well positioned to compete when cloud gaming finally becomes a "thing", because neither company has invested much of anything in the global infrastructure necessary to deliver those kinds of services. Meaning they are going to need to pay a corporation like Microsoft to facilitate that for them, which is going to make Microsoft a lot of money.

It also means Microsoft will always be able to deliver their own cloud gaming services more profitably (as they own their own infrastructure), and gives Microsoft the advantage of having direct control over the hardware.

In this future, Amazon and Google are their main competition, because those are the only other companies that have also invested in this kind of infrastructure. And virtually all cloud-based gaming services are going to be hosted by one of them.

You own nothing, and any access to Steam games that persists if Steam went away, would be at the discretion of Valve or those publishers - not an actual consumer right. You're buying a limited right to a license of a thing, that they assert the right to revoke at nearly their pleasure.
We're on the same page there. What you get with PC gaming over cloud gaming are "privileges" not necessarily granted by those rights, by virtue of having local access to the files. Similar rights, but not similar in practice.

And for the record, those much ballyhooed physical discs for your console don't confer much more in the way of rights or usability, in the era of day one updates that replace 90% of a game's files, and always-online games. Discs have become glorified CD keys.
Way off the mark on the sort of games I play. :) There are so many great games these days that aren't that narrow depressing slice. Project CARS 2 is perhaps the worst exception in my PS4 library. Physical games on the Switch are fantastic and well worth the benefits.

Last edited:
when the Xbox 360 dominated the PS3

The 360 never dominated the PS3 in marketshare. In every year the PS3 was on the market, it outsold the 360.

So why shouldn't he be allowed to talk about it?

Because who Azura host on their servers has nothing to do with Xbox lmao
Phil is trying to conflate the Xbox division with something it is not.

This is about Spencer saying that google and amazon are their main competitors

Azure's main competitors as Google and Amazon.
Xbox's main competitors are Nintendo and Sony.

Not hard.

How could I possibly argue with bollocks "NPD" sales figures like "2 million +" and "lower than 4", lol. Gears of War 4's last public sales data put it at around 2.6 million copies sold. Gears of War 3 didn't sell "2 million +" copies - it sold 3 million copies it's first WEEK.

This is where I stop taking you seriously at all. No, Halo 5 did not sell fewer copies than Forza Motorsport 6 (though I assume your data shows only 6 copies of FM6 were ever purchased, by some guy named Lou in Kentucky). The last publicly available data point was that Halo 5 sold at least 5 million copies.

Fanboyism is like brain termites.

Please read the post properly. NPD sales are US only and launch month. NPD is used by the industry and allows us to compare sales because we get monthly reports.

Use official sources verified by industry instead of random online websites. So yeah, 70% drop for Halo and a whooping 95% for Gears in the UK.

Tribalism at it's finest. Whether it's sports, a city/state/country, rival fast food chains, Iphone vs Android, console wars, ethnicity wars, identity wars, political ideations, etc. It all comes down to an "us vs them" mentality w/ the ideal that "my way is the better way". It's simply a showcase of human nature on full display.

Use official sources verified by industry instead of random online websites. So yeah, 70% drop for Halo and a whooping 95% for Gears in the UK.

This is gonna be my last turn in the spin cycle:

You like the NPD Group a lot? Okay.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...t-selling-ps4-and-xbox-one-games-of-all-time/

That article was posted in September 2019, and lists the best-selling Xbox One exclusives, as provided by Matt Piscatella at the NPD Group (accurate as of August 2019). Halo 5 is at the top of that list.

Industry verified!

Please read the post properly. NPD sales are US only and launch month. NPD is used by the industry and allows us to compare sales because we get monthly reports.

The NPD Group doesn't even factor in digital sales, because it has no simple way to. Digital sales now account for 80% of all video game sales in the UK by the way, since we love market research groups here at GTPlanet.

Also, "industry verified" is a nonsensical thing tosay in the first place. Microsoft don't reveal hard sales data, and haven't for years. They also don't "verify" data collected by outside research groups.

Tribalism at it's finest. Whether it's sports, a city/state/country, rival fast food chains, Iphone vs Android, console wars, ethnicity wars, identity wars, political ideations, etc. It all comes down to an "us vs them" mentality w/ the ideal that "my way is the better way". It's simply a showcase of human nature on full display.
And car brands or sports teams, too. Oh well.

The 360 never dominated the PS3 in marketshare. In every year the PS3 was on the market, it outsold the 360.

Sweet Jesus. Except for maybe one or two other people, I have never seen such adamant goaltending and subsequent moving of the goalposts in my entire life. I don't have the patience or temperament to do this, so I'm backing out.

I'll let others more patient than myself continue this conversation.

You don't recognize that when the PS3 was launched in 2006, it initially had mediocre sales for the first few years due to its complicated Cell structure and lack of launch titles back then?

You don't recognize that when the PS3 was launched in 2006, it initially had mediocre sales for the first few years due to its complicated Cell structure and lack of launch titles back then?

Don't bother. All of this is, again, reminding me why I stepped away from posting as much as I once did.

Sweet Jesus. Except for maybe one or two other people, I have never seen such adamant goaltending and subsequent moving of the goalposts in my entire life. I don't have the patience or temperament to do this, so I'm backing out.

I'll let others more patient than myself continue this conversation.

Don't bother. This is the exact same thing that he's done, ad nauseum, for months.

Not hard.
Spencer is more than just Head of Xbox. He is responsible for everything gaming at MS and he talked about Cloud gaming. Not hard.

Maybe next time the few other people sitting right beneath Nadella should tell Spencer sitting at the same table that fanboys think he is only responsible for Xbox and should only talk about Xbox. /s

Nope. He never used the word xbox. You do, because you think Spencer responsibility is only Xbox. Which is false.

Last edited:
This is gonna be my last turn in the spin cycle:

You like the NPD Group a lot? Okay.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...t-selling-ps4-and-xbox-one-games-of-all-time/

That article was posted in September 2019, and lists the best-selling Xbox One exclusives, as provided by Matt Piscatella at the NPD Group (accurate as of August 2019). Halo 5 is at the top of that list.

Industry verified!

Cool I posted actual numbers.

The NPD Group doesn't even factor in digital sales

They do now and have for some time. They ask publishers for digital side.

Digital sales now account for 80% of all video game sales in the UK by the way,

A lie. Publishers have regularly posted their digital numbers. Here is PS4's

2PlMeIz.png

Anyway, digital isn't going to compensate for a 70-95% drop LMAO

Also, "industry verified" is a nonsensical thing tosay in the first place. Microsoft don't reveal hard sales data, and haven't for years. They also don't "verify" data collected by outside research groups.

No it's not, it's how you know which source is reputable. MS stopped revealing sales data ever since PS4 demolished XB1. If you recall they initially did with the XB1 and did so with the 360.

Again wrong. NPD is used by all publishers (MS, Sony, Nintendo, EA, Activision etc) on reporting North American sales.

Try again.

A common misconception especially for those that live in the US.
PS3 and 360 sales very close if you look at their FY and shipments. PS3 outsold the 360 through the years and was able to close the year gap the 360 had. There's a whole world out there, and while the 360 dominated in US and UK, the PS3 handily beat it in Europe and Japan.

Spencer is more than just Head of Xbox. He is responsible for everything gaming at MS and he talked about Cloud gaming. Not hard.

Maybe next time the few other people sitting right beneath Nadella should tell Spencer sitting at the same table that fanboys think he is only responsible for Xbox and should only talk about Xbox. /s

Again does not change this:

Last edited:
Again does not change this:

Doesn't change that Spencer never said PS aren't competitors to Xbox.

He was talking about MS, Sony, Nintendo, Google, Amazon in regards to gaming. And not about any divisions or brand.

Last edited:
Doesn't change that Spencer never said PS aren't competitors to Xbox.

He was talking about MS, Sony, Nintendo, Google, Amazon in regards to gaming. And not about any divisions or brand.

I am simply saying an obvious reality, that you keep skirting around:

Xbox is not Azure.
Xbox at its current state is struggling to compete with Playstation and even Nintendo.

A common misconception especially for those that live in the US.
PS3 and 360 sales very close if you look at their FY and shipments. PS3 outsold the 360 through the years and was able to close the year gap the 360 had. There's a whole world out there, and while the 360 dominated in US and UK, the PS3 handily beat it in Europe and Japan.
Yet the Xbox 360 has a year ahead of release versus the PS3, I suppose?

While the complex nature of the Cell CPU impacted game development, from the perspective of consumers the initial slow sales probably had a lot more to do with poor marketing and "five-ninety-nine dollars" rather than the architecture of the CPU. The PS3 definitely rallied to finish the gen on a very similar sales number to the 360, not sure why people are getting upset at that statement.

While the complex nature of the Cell CPU impacted game development, from the perspective of consumers the initial slow sales probably had a lot more to do with poor marketing and "five-ninety-nine dollars" rather than the architecture of the CPU. The PS3 definitely rallied to finish the gen on a very similar sales number to the 360, not sure why people are getting upset at that statement.
Most likely. I think Sony is to blame for that but at least they were still able to catch up in sales during its lifetime.

I am simply saying an obvious reality, that you keep skirting around:
What you are doing is derailing the topic to fit your argument about Spencer. Phil isn't trying anything. You are...
Because who Azura host on their servers has nothing to do with Xbox lmao

Last edited:
Fanboyism
Fanboyism never dies.

I hope both PS5 and XBox SeX will do well similiarly in service and performance so both can screw both of hardcore fandoms.

(Sorry Xbox, your short name is kinda funny I couldnt help it to be honest.)

Back