Microsoft Ends Xbox One X, One S Digital Production

I wanted to buy a xbox x but due to the current pandemic they been sold out and i don't like buying used systems.

But guess i wont now even if i find a new one what's the point since its been discontinue?

Never seen a company kill support for a system not even 3 years old before unless it was a massive failure.

Say what you want about sony but at least they support there systems.

Microsoft: We don't want to force users into buying next-gen platforms.

Also Microsoft: Abruptly stops producing 2 out of 3 current-gen platforms.

Never seen a company kill support for a system not even 3 years old before unless it was a massive failure.

The current platforms certainly have not been killed in terms of support. In fact, all first-party games launched on the Series X will be playable on Xbox One platforms for at least another 2 years which is far better current-gen support than what Sony is offering.

Microsoft: We don't want to force users into buying next-gen platforms.

Also Microsoft: Abruptly stops producing 2 out of 3 current-gen platforms.

The current platforms certainly have not been killed in terms of support. In fact, all first-party games launched on the Series X will be playable on Xbox One platforms for at least another 2 years which is far better current-gen support than what Sony is offering.
I'm not just talking about games but platform as well.

The ps2 was supported till 2013
The ps3 till 2018
The ps1 was supported till 2006
And i'm sure the ps4 will continue to be support for at least a few more years.

The ps3 till 2018

Cancelling the platform makes sense for the Xbox S All-Digital and One X because they will have direct replacements in the form of Lockhart and Series X respectively. Furthermore, both are confirmed to be fully backwards compatible, with the exception of Kinect titles.

That is different to what Sony is doing but Microsoft's priority is to maximise its player base for first-party titles as opposed to shifting as many next-gen consoles as possible.

Interest for the console whose entire selling point as being the most powerful one on the market and the best way to play games was likely to plummet significantly the closer we got to the next console generation that promises to blow it out of the water and play the same games even better. It's a move that makes sense on Microsoft's part, because once the SeX comes out any Xbone Xs still in the sales channels will become paperweights.

But guess i wont now even if i find a new one what's the point since its been discontinue?
Consoles manufactured yesterday are stock for November/December. In principle you'll still be able to find new ones right up until the XSX launches - and then people will be looking at a new $400 "old" console vs a new $500 (or so; no prices announced yet, but that's the magic figure nobody wants to break) "new" console and rationalising themselves into the new one.

The ps3 till 2018

It simply doesn’t have a place in the market anymore. The XSX exists for those that want the absolute most powerful console, while the rumoured “Lockhart” system is there for people who still want to play next gen games, but don’t really care about the difference in power between that and the XSX (the Lockhart is expected to be relatively cheap, still apparently more powerful than the One X). If you can play next gen games on the Lockhart for relatively cheap, why buy a (potentially more expensive) console that’ll only be supported by first party games for another 2 years?

The Lockhart is also rumoured to not have a disc drive, which explains why the All Digital Xbox has only been discontinued after like, a year of production.

Microsoft so badly need to name their consoles better... one s & one x followed by series x? we could be on the XXXX by now lol

Wow I never knew MS continued making the Original Xbox until 2009 in NA, the latest dated model I've ever seen is 2005, (in the UK), did anybody here buy one of these later units ? If so were they cheap ?

The ps3 till 2018
What exactly is the issue?

Wow I never knew MS continued making the Original Xbox until 2009 in NA, the latest dated model I've ever seen is 2005, (in the UK), did anybody here buy one of these later units ? If so were they cheap ?
They didn't. Microsoft was so desperate to get out of their contract with nVidia that they ended production of the original Xbox well before the 360 came out.

They didn't. Microsoft was so desperate to get out of their contract with nVidia that they ended production of the original Xbox well before the 360 came out.

Well that's how I remembered it too in the UK, as soon as the news of the 360 came out Xbox was dead. Wikipedia seems to state 2009 in NA, is this a mistake ?

I just ordered a xbox one x from ebay today,I wanted to upgrade to a 4k tv anyway.The CEX store has stopped taking in scorpio edition on a separate note

I can imagine them not choosing to keep the One X going over the One S is that because it's probably too near Lockhart (Series S) in terms of price and power.

I picked my One X one year, three months and eleven days ago and I do not regret it one bit. I guessed (correctly) that Microsoft next gen console wouldn't show up until holiday season of 2020, and even so, that I could get at least one year more of service after its debut. What I didn't expect was the announcements of the Lockhart console and that there would not be true X series exclusive games for at least two years, so my One X can relax because when I eventually upgrade it can be still active as a second bedroom console/media player.

From a business stand-point, makes sense.
I mean, the One X costs more to produce and people are buying the cheaper One S.
However, what I don't understand is the need to also get rid of the disc-based One S.
They should have gotten rid of the digital One S as the disc-based gives you both.

Back