Microsoft Reveals Next-Gen Console: "Xbox Series X"

There's been quite a few retroactive complaints about it, like with GT5, but in-period it was the usual "my Forza is better than your GT"
Except they weren't retroactive in either case, though?

To be honest I think you're a bit out of your element when it comes to talking about Xbox related stuff, Famine. There were more problems with the XBone at launch than just the amount of games specific to the system; and as it is right now the SeX seems to be occupying the space that the PS2 had when it launched. That isn't to say that the SeX has anywhere near the anticipation of that, but I remember well that there was basically nothing on the system but warmed-over Dreamcast and PSX ports until GT3 came out; so unless you liked Ridge Racer V or Tekken Tag a lot the most you could do with it was play PSX games in a slightly better way or watch DVDs. We still need to know price, but pending Sony punking Microsoft over that again it wouldn't surprise me at all if people consider the SeX a considerably more appealing product than the PS3-level disaster Microsoft had on their hands when the XBone first came out.

The question was what XB1X owners need to upgrade to an XB1X for that their XB1X can't do.
Visuals and framerate. If you ask me, its not worth it. For X1 owner it is, but not for X1X. Cleverest decision will be to wait until Black Friday 2021 happens.

Which accounts for sevenish of the 22.
Its almost all AAA games that was here.

If not, the platform with 80% fewer new games won't be either.
It depend on what you already have. There was more reason to buy X360 or PS3 in 2013 than X1 or PS4. XSX is a great thing if you have PS4/PS4Pro(because you can finally play Forza, Gears and Halo) or X1(because its awful), but not all that great if you have X1X or gaming PC.

the most you could do with it was play PSX games in a slightly better way or watch DVDs
And that was the killer thing. Sony sold so many PS2s simply on the basis of them being a cheapish DVD player, to people who couldn't care less about games (and probably never bought a game for it) - and yes, the launch games were kind of mince. The same tactic didn't work quite so well with PS3 because it wasn't cheapish and there were notionally still two competing high-definition disc formats and the screens needed to use them to full effect were still expensive too.

But I don't know what the killer thing that Xbox Series X has which will compel you to upgrade from an XB1 model (particularly the XB1X). From what I can tell, it has two games the XB1 can't play, and... I don't know what else. The thousands of XB1/360/XB games are still playable on XB1, so it's not that. Is this Game Pass Ultimate thing with the new xCloud integration only available on XSX? I didn't read that much about it, so it's possible but I thought it was just a thing where you owned the game regardless of platform and could play it on your phone.

Is it really just 40-or-so XB1 games you can now play in 4K60 (if you have a 4K screen; they are coming down in price though) as opposed to either 4K or 60fps? Is that worth going into Game on launch day, shopping in your XB1X at a £200+ loss and coming home with an XSX?

The 12/24-month old XSX makes sense to me. The launch day one doesn't.

To be honest I think you're a bit out of your element when it comes to talking about Xbox related stuff, Famine.
Hence my asking questions.
There were more problems with the XBone at launch than just the amount of games specific to the system
At the moment it looks like the amount of games specific to the system wasn't a problem, or if it was, the XSX has it worse (I've not actually heard of either of the new titles, and they have a 50:50 chance of being mediocre it seems).

I remember a few pre-launch controversies - always on (and that comedy line about getting a 360 instead), the Kinect requirement, the game-sharing thing - but I thought they'd all been walked back before it actually landed. I know people didn't like the original UI, but then I also recall Microsoft abandoning the proprietary HDD of the 360 for generic ones in the One (I don't remember if they're swappable or not) - though it's also reversed on that with the XSX.

What problems have I missed? I've only ever used an XB1S.

Visuals and framerate. If you ask me, its not worth it. For X1 owner it is, but not for X1X. Cleverest decision will be to wait until Black Friday 2021 happens.
I largely concur. I just don't see what the day one console offers at this point.

Though unfortunately I have to buy one :lol:

At the moment it looks like the amount of games specific to the system wasn't a problem, or if it was, the XSX has it worse
Problem with One(or PS4) at start was lack of games. Like if you play for a couple of hours a day you could complete all available games in few months. And stuck without games at all for half of a year or get back to your PS3/X360. And now you start with all Xbox One games collection. Its a great thing.

I just don't see what the day one console offers at this point
They dont give us enough info, that is a problem.

I had to send my Xbox One in for a Firmware issue (green screen of death), resetting it back to factory default did not work amongst other things I tried. Other than that, it has lasted pretty well considering I had to send my 360 in 3 times for the RROD.

That would be my biggest concern with the newer systems, firmware issues. Seems like it's a good policy to play the waiting game while they sort the inevitable launch issues out.

I had to send my Xbox One in for a Firmware issue (green screen of death), resetting it back to factory default did not work amongst other things I tried. Other than that, it has lasted pretty well considering I had to send my 360 in 3 times for the RROD.

That would be my biggest concern with the newer systems, firmware issues. Seems like it's a good policy to play the waiting game while they sort the inevitable launch issues out.
This^^^ I can imagine reading about all the launch issues.....not good...
I must consider myself lucky I guess. Both my launch One and my launch One X had no issues whatsoever.

I must consider myself lucky I guess. Both my launch One and my launch One X had no issues whatsoever.

I was lucky with my PS3, still running strong with, zero issues Vs the PS2 which I had to send in twice for repair. Never had an issue with any of the Nintendo systems I've owned. Unless you include blowing the dust out of a NES cartridge to get it to work. :lol:

I largely concur. I just don't see what the day one console offers at this point.

Unless these two new consoles can offer 4k gaming at high frame rates consistently, then as an attractive proposition, they wouldn't be too attractive imho, especially with possibly higher retail prices compared to the previous generations.

For new versions of game franchises there will always be a fair number who want the newer iterations, but those people may only get the console when that franchises game appears if nothing else is compelling.

There are always those who will get the new console regardless of what games are available. These new consoles at least offer the options of playing games from the previous generation(s) to tide people over until the new generation specific games start appearing. And those games will need to be noticeably better in many ways to justify the new generation hardware.

And large improvements are harder to do for each generation as time goes on. How much better will Forza and GT7 look, how much will the physics, the AI etc be improved compared to the previous consoles! Time will tell for those, and other franchises, because the franchises sell more new consoles to fans than original games, unless someone comes up with an era defining game like GTA or a CoD etc. Nothing I have seen on either console has has grabbed the imagination, or garnered any enthusiasm in large numbers from what I have seen so far.

The price of these consoles may define who takes the initial lead in sales, and indeed sales for both together in these financially difficult times for many. The release dates may be so close as to not be significant. We live in interesting times. :)

Though unfortunately I have to buy one :lol:
You have to buy one, or GTPlanet will buy one for you! ;) :lol:

I see the purchase of the SX like upgrading your PC with a new graphic card/ram/cpu/ssd (you're just future proofing), there's no new games atm to play but all your existing catalogue will look/perform better/load quicker.
I only really play PC2 but I'm keeping a firm eye on future sims (AMS2 & the new BTCC), my kids make good use of the Game Pass.
So for me I'll get it, probably not day 1 but not that long after & I'll give the 1X to the kids to replace their dying PS3.

Still can't believe this is potentially releasing in...3 months? With like, nothing to play. I'd rather just upgrade my PC to be honest and even it's current 3 year old form it's still more powerful on paper, just, than both the PS5 and X1SX (why...just call it Scarlet ffs!) so *shrugs* I think i'd rather spend 3/4/£500 on just PC upgrades. As for PS5 are we even in a better boat with games? Doubtful GT7(is it 7...almost lost count lol) will come this year but at least it'll come before FM8/FMX whatever. What a strange time for a console release...still think they should delay the release of both until some time next year, it really now more than ever just doesn't feel like we need them, in my opinion anyway.

What a strange time for a console release...still think they should delay the release of both until some time next year, it really now more than ever just doesn't feel like we need them, in my opinion anyway.
Christmas is the time when most consumer goods sell, miss that time period, and sales would be a fraction of what is expected at any other time, even if it was the launch of a new console. It is not a coincidence that consoles are released (mostly) around the last quarter of the year. ;) Also, atm, both consoles have some technology advantages compared to PC's atm, and a delay allows any technological advantage to possibly disappear. And unlike extra time for game development, the specs and performance of these consoles are locked in, and there are whole lot of companies planning, and relying on those consoles appearing when scheduled.

I just had another thought about the release date. Didn't the last Recession delay the release of the PS4 and Xbox One? I seem to remember it being delayed by a year or two. It might be relevant considering we are currently in another recession.

Still can't believe this is potentially releasing in...3 months? With like, nothing to play. I'd rather just upgrade my PC to be honest and even it's current 3 year old form it's still more powerful on paper, just, than both the PS5 and X1SX (why...just call it Scarlet ffs!) so *shrugs* I think i'd rather spend 3/4/£500 on just PC upgrades. As for PS5 are we even in a better boat with games? Doubtful GT7(is it 7...almost lost count lol) will come this year but at least it'll come before FM8/FMX whatever. What a strange time for a console release...still think they should delay the release of both until some time next year, it really now more than ever just doesn't feel like we need them, in my opinion anyway.
First of all, 3 years ago there weren't any ray tracing technology ready consumer GPU and PCIE4 ssd's, which means you need to upgrade motherboard, ssd, GPU and CPU. Right now it will cost you 1000£+ if you want PS5-like hardware with XSX-like SSD.

Second, production is already going, specs was set in stone before Corona,so there's no reason to delay.

We can expect massive marketing campaign in the near future, most likely September. Then they will explain us why we need next gen console.

I mean at least there are some exclsuvies for PS5 even if it is a bit hazy as to whether they'll be there at launch.
And that's why Sony will probably take this generation too. Besides the fact they already have exclusives that will remain exclusive to the console, if they are also making another Bloodborne then It's gonna be game over for MS, again. And the new classic oriented GT will be another massive console seller as well.

I haven't liked the ps4 gen at all. There I still have the first white model that came with Driveclub gathering dust, and Bloodborne. The only two exclusive games I have liked for this console and that still play from time to time, but that doesn't mean they have had others that the people have approved this generation (Horizon, GOW etc), and if these return again for ps5 (not on PC too like Microsoft), then I don't see the point of having the new xbox if their games are gonna be on PC as well.

I don't understand the policy of Microsoft on unity, but sure as hell they are interested on the cloud and subscription services, only. Will that alone generate enough revenue for them during this generation regardless this new xbox might lack games again?, who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was sold on this thing when they said backwards compatible throughout every previous Xbox generation.

And that's why Sony will probably take this generation too. Besides the fact they already have exclusives that will remain exclusive to the console, if they are also making another Bloodborne then It's gonna be game over for MS, again. And the new classic oriented GT will be another massive console seller as well.

I haven't liked the ps4 gen at all. There I still have the first white model that came with Driveclub gathering dust, and Bloodborne. The only two exclusive games I have liked for this console and that still play from time to time, but that doesn't mean they have had others that the people have approved this generation (Horizon, GOW etc), and if these return again for ps5 (not on PC too like Microsoft), then I don't see the point of having the new xbox if their games are gonna be on PC as well.

I don't understand the policy of Microsoft on unity, but sure as hell they are interested on the cloud and subscription services, only. Will that alone generate enough revenue for them during this generation regardless this new xbox might lack games again?, who knows.

i understand that. But for me it doesn’t make difference because the only PlayStation exclusives I liked were Days Gone and Gran Turismo. Spider-Man was cool until I found out there would be no Venom dlc or symbiote suit. I completely lost interest in the game. I think that was the reason I bought it. I’m looking forward to these next consoles though. The PS5 would’ve been a launch day purchase if it were backwards compatible back to the first PlayStation. It’s gonna be a good console. Hopefully they make a black one too though. Lol

What might tempt me is PSVR2. In the meantime I'm in no rush, I'm happy playing games on my XB1X & PS4 Slim.
One things for sure though, I don't want both consoles again, all I've become is overwhelmed.. :)

I was all set for the Xbox as I've really enjoyed my Xbox One and Xbox One X. But I'm not seeing that jump and the games to justify buying it.

Definitely tilting to the PS5 personally.

This is just a rumour of course, but a respected games industry writer has received info from a retail source that the Series X may retail for $599. Not a confirmation of course but that is a very high potential price point with zero launch exclusives and zero first party exclusives for 18-24 months.

https://www.t3.com/news/xbox-series-x-price-leaks-and-gamers-arent-going-to-be-happy

With the PS5 rumoured to be around the $400-$500 price mark depending on whether you go digital or disc. This could either be an absolutely massive blow to MS or its a bluff to push Sony for a price.

I think ps5 might also be €600 disc, like xboxX, but the digital rpiced at €500. (yeah, if it comes with games as we've seen i still have doubts whether they will take the €500 risk for the disc version).

These consoles are very powerful PC regardless all of its chips are built-in (dedicated). What were pèople expecting?, and €600 is still very cheap for the power inside lol

I know Sony fears the 600 price tag because of the ps3, but heck do you remember the price of the ps1 too?, I don't klnow in your countries but here in Spain it costed, the first year of release, 100.000 pesetas = 600 dollars, so I guess in your respective countries the same but of course in south america were the prices are..., I don't know how to name that sorry.

Last edited:
Honestly this sounds like a massive train wreck waiting to happen, MS should delay this thing until they have games to actually sell the system.

I get trying to beat Sony to the punch, like they did with the launch of the 360 (the PS3 launched a year after), but you still need games to sell a system. You could argue the $399 price point is what really sold the 360 over the PS3 ($500 40GB and $600 60GB respectively) and not it beating Sony to the market.

I think ps5 might also be €600 disc, like xboxX, but the digital rpiced at €500. (yeah, if it comes with games as we've seen i still have doubts whether they will take the €500 risk for the disc version).

These consoles are very powerful PC regardless all of its chips are built-in (dedicated). What were pèople expecting?, and €600 is still very cheap for the power inside lol

I know Sony fears the 600 price tag because of the ps3, but heck do you remember the price of the ps1 too?, I don't klnow in your countries but here in Spain it costed, the first year of release, 100.000 pesetas = 600 dollars, so I guess in your respective countries the same but of course in south america were the prices are..., I don't know how to name that sorry.

Rumours are PS5 will be $499 and $399 respectively based on multiple leaks and sources. Will be interesting to see if any of its true but I agree with @DDastardly00 , this feels like a train wreck worse than that of the Xbox One launch. At least that thing launched with some exclsuvies.

You really crazy, if you think that PS5 will be 400$ and XSX 600$. PS5 will be on par or even more expensive than XSX due to SSD. Also, MS could be more aggressive with the price.

Most likely, both will be around 600$, +/- 50$ for different packages.

I like that both companies are rivalling each other on console price it will keep them honest. I wonder who will blink first... cant be long now because they need a price to enable pre orders.

Today I've learnt the next Bloodborne for ps5 will be a ported Bloodborne1. Seriously?
What do you mean? From Software have never said they will make a sequel to Bloodborne. DS3 and Sekiro both came out after Bloodborne, and From's next in house game is already known to be Elden Ring, with the Demon's Souls remaster coming by way of third party.

So, how is this that disappointing? Why were you expecting a Bloodborne sequel? What?

What do you mean? From Software have never said they will make a sequel to Bloodborne.
And who said they were making a sequel?, I was saying that a second chapter to Bloodborne should be expected for ps5, nothing more, specially as a launch tittle, for then seeing that it is gonna be just bloodborne1 port. Yeah elden ring and demon soul port instead. That is not Bloodborne, probably the greatest ps4 exclusive, being this last one another reason to expect a sequel. Because Bloodborne is exclusive to Playstation, whereas the other soul-like games are not with the exception of demon souls, which is also gonna be a ported remake.

So, how is this that disappointing?
I don't know, because Bloodborne has been without a doubt the best game I've played this gen on the ps4, and probably best souls ever along with ds1?

Why were you expecting a Bloodborne sequel?
What to say to this. Because literally every single playstation user is also expecting a sequel to it at some point perhaps?

And who said they were making a sequel?, I was saying that a second chapter to Bloodborne should be expected for ps5, nothing more, specially as a launch tittle, for then seeing that it is gonna be just bloodborne1 port. Yeah elden ring and demon soul port instead. That is not Bloodborne, probably the greatest ps4 exclusive, being this last one another reason to expect a sequel. Because Bloodborne is exclusive to Playstation, whereas the other soul-like games are not with the exception of demon souls, which is also gonna be a ported remake.

I don't know, because Bloodborne has been without a doubt the best game I've played this gen on the ps4, and probably best souls ever along with ds1?

What to say to this. Because literally every single playstation user is also expecting a sequel to it at some point perhaps?

Nothing has been talked avout sequels or remasters. A remastered Bloodborne as far as I know is nothing more than a rumour at this stage.

Back