Microsoft Reveals Next-Gen Console: "Xbox Series X"

I checked before. There is no recent news about PGR anywhere. It’s all from years ago.
Looking it up, I may be wrong. I just recently saw someone get achievements for it but they must have been on the original console. So if that's the case, my apologies.

Last edited:
With people saying that the PS5 looks like a router it looks like Virgin Media decided to balance the books by releasing a router that is shaped like an SX
Screenshot_20200712-095908_Gallery.jpg

Being able to purchase 12 month Xbox Live Gold subscriptions has been removed from the global Microsoft stores.

Some media outlets starting to optimistically believe this may mean online play on Series X might be free. Now wouldn't that be a turn of events in the console war!

Being able to purchase 12 month Xbox Live Gold subscriptions has been removed from the global Microsoft stores.

Some media outlets starting to optimistically believe this may mean online play on Series X might be free. Now wouldn't that be a turn of events in the console war!

Interesting !

More likely that gold will simply be absorbed into Gamepass and Gamepass ultimate will have Xcloud as its extra feature.

I'd say not a chance in hell Gold becomes free. Along with 3rd game cut it's the single reliable source of revenue that the Xbox division has. Their consoles are barely selling, and so are their exclusives. Nadella's wallet won't stay open forever.

Microsoft is stopping production of the Xbox One X and Xbox One S All-Digital Edition consoles, it told The Verge today. It will continue to produce the standard Xbox One S. The news comes after many would-be Xbox owners have had trouble finding the consoles at stores.

“As we ramp into the future with Xbox Series X, we’re taking the natural step of stopping production on Xbox One X and Xbox One S All-Digital Edition,” a company spokesperson told The Verge. “Xbox One S will continue to be manufactured and sold globally.”

That's interesting, I suppose Microsoft is restructuring the Xbox Family with the regular One S acting as the entry level machine into the ecosystem, while Lockhart and the Series X will act as direct replacements for the SAD and One X respectively.

The One X had a rather short lifespan, I wonder if resale values will pick up any time soon...

Not a chance in hell of that.

I don't mind 30 fps, but look... EVERY single game on this thing has to run at *at least* 1080p. Please. The fact that this wasn't the norm for the One was sickening. Right now the only major downside to the (non-X) One versus the (non-Pro) PS4 for me is the fact that there are cross-platform games in existence that run at 1080 on the PS4 but not the One. This absolutely must be rectified this generation.

I don't mind 30 fps, but look... EVERY single game on this thing has to run at *at least* 1080p. Please. The fact that this wasn't the norm for the One was sickening. Right now the only major downside to the (non-X) One versus the (non-Pro) PS4 for me is the fact that there are cross-platform games in existence that run at 1080 on the PS4 but not the One. This absolutely must be rectified this generation.
It will be, there's no reason to worry about the game running in 1080p. Whether games play in 4K on the Series X and not on the PS5 is the issue now.

If true, this is such a game-changer.

Big time. I guess they see the value of Gold being the free games maybe? So with Gold going, the free games will go and Game Pass becomes the defacto subscription for Xbox with Xcloud replacing Gold in the Ultimate subscription.

Sony was forced to have PSN be free for the PS3 because it sucked and everyone was already pissed at them at that point anyway so they needed to do something for some goodwill, but as soon as it was good enough that they could charge for it they did and it became seemingly a main pillar of their income. Kind of curious how Microsoft plans on making any money this generation.

Sony was forced to have PSN be free for the PS3 because it sucked and everyone was already pissed at them at that point anyway so they needed to do something for some goodwill, but as soon as it was good enough that they could charge for it they did and it became seemingly a main pillar of their income. Kind of curious how Microsoft plans on making any money this generation.
Game pass.

Definitely a huge selling point for Xbox going forward if true, worked out well with the PS3 as it was a major selling point going into that consoles launch which helped soften the other shortcomings such as the price and games lineup.

Charging for online play is a relic of a different time. There is no valid reason to charge specifically for it in 2020, especially when games have a large if not total reliance on the online component thus making them useless without it.

Then why did a free to play game, Phantasy Star Online 2, was shown in the Xbox game reveal and clearly stated online play requires Gold.

As until something is officially announced it currently requires it according to how they operate.

Why wouldn't it if there's been no change yet*?
As until something is officially announced it currently requires it according to how they operate.

Because it would be the first clue to a change. It shows joined up thinking. That's why I think this isn't going to happen.

The only reason it could is if the take up of Games Pass is big enough to give up on Gold. Then it would be a smart move as Sony don't have an appropriate response.

Because it would be the first clue to a change. It shows joined up thinking. That's why I think this isn't going to happen.

The only reason it could is if the take up of Games Pass is big enough to give up on Gold. Then it would be a smart move as Sony don't have an appropriate response.
If we’re still currently using a paid subscription to play it would make sense to say that it needs a paid subscription to play, no matter what does or doesn’t happen in the future.

Also remember they just pulled 12 month subscriptions, so at best nothing is going to change till those subscriptions are over. It's at least a year before things change, if they do, and anything said on trailers or other material is currently correct.

AF0AC64A-589C-4EA6-877E-7F4BE9DC67D6.jpeg

Apparently MS has decided to move the 'Optimised For Series X' logo from the front of game cases to the back. This is after feedback suggested that the large logo was ugly and ruined the art and look of the games.

Why MS didn't just make Series X game cases is beyond me, even if technically the disc itself is identical to the XB1 version. Or better yet include the patch enhancements on the disc and ship that.

AF0AC64A-589C-4EA6-877E-7F4BE9DC67D6.jpeg

Apparently MS has decided to move the 'Optimised For Series X' logo from the front of game cases to the back. This is after feedback suggested that the large logo was ugly and ruined the art and look of the games.

Why MS didn't just make Series X game cases is beyond me, even if technically the disc itself is identical to the XB1 version. Or better yet include the patch enhancements on the disc and ship that.

Because of the cross gen nature of their Xbox One and Series X games. It isn't hard to understand why. When we start getting exclusive to Series X titles im sure we'll see something different. Its quite difficult to include paych enhancements on a disc for a console that hasn't released. Also makes it clear to owners of both consoles.

Because of the cross gen nature of their Xbox One and Series X games. It isn't hard to understand why. When we start getting exclusive to Series X titles im sure we'll see something different. Its quite difficult to include paych enhancements on a disc for a console that hasn't released. Also makes it clear to owners of both consoles.

It would have been a good idea for the sake of clarity to have separate Xbox One game boxes and Xbox Series X boxes on store shelves with exactly the same disk inside. So split the production of them 50/50. I can see people walking in and saying "Where are the Series X games?", then needing some explanation from staff whereas the PS5 games are very clear. Also this would make things easier down the line when Series X only games come out.

MagpieRacer
Its quite difficult to include paych enhancements on a disc for a console that hasn't released.

Obviously if they did patched discs they would release when the console actually releases. If people want to pre buy games for an unreleased system then they can live with the unpatched "XB1" versions.

Last edited:
Wow. First Forza, now Halo... Guess MS is changing their minds and making it next gen exclusive too? I wonder.

Although I'm fine with this, it also means Halo is probably going to take the spot of Forza AGAIN next year..... :rolleyes:

Maaaan, 2020 really sucks...

Latest Posts

Back