Microsoft Reveals Next-Gen Console: "Xbox Series X"

The graphics were so roasted at that unveiling I can imagine MS has said "go and make the whole thing again!" :lol:.

But seriously, launching Series X without a substantial game like that is going to make things difficult.

Wow.....

there was always a game that sold me instantly the xbox.

but this time?

No Forza and now not even Halo.

I think this console launch will end in a big desaster but everybody saw that coming.....

I think this console launch will end in a big desaster but everybody saw that coming..
If MS could cut Sony with price lack of exclusives on start wouldn't be a problem. After all there would be Cyberpunk, Assassin's creed and Call of Duty. And ****ton of other BC games

Last edited by a moderator:
Xbox will continue to exist, it wont be a massive failure. Of course PS5 will outsell it in the first year, but i dont think that is a issue for Microsoft. As long as people continue to be invested in Gamepass, its fine for them. There will be a time where Series X will shine with its 12 tf, just not at launch. Maybe with the new Forza 12-24 months down the line. The Halo delay makes sense, but boy does the launch looks barren now.

PS5 isnt looking that much hotter. Spiderman is most likely the only big first Party game at launch. And i simply dont care about those kind of games. But Sony did a way better job in marketing the PS5 and giving people the impression thats its a true nextgen console. The Xbox marketing has been a continous disaster so far.

Wow.....

there was always a game that sold me instantly the xbox.

but this time?

No Forza and now not even Halo.

I think this console launch will end in a big desaster but everybody saw that coming.....

Even if the big title wasn't delayed, it would still be available on Xbox One anyway so that would hurt sales on its own. Its unclear to me what Microsofts tactic is with this console, but with Halo being delayed, the one game that was at least being associated with next gen, that's a blow.

Its all down to price now.

Ive gotta say they could have done a better job of marketing this console and where is the killer app? Its like having offering up a super car for sale with only one paint colour... baby turd brown... Who are you to refuse?

Even if the big title wasn't delayed, it would still be available on Xbox One anyway so that would hurt sales on its own. Its unclear to me what Microsofts tactic is with this console, but with Halo being delayed, the one game that was at least being associated with next gen, that's a blow.

Its all down to price now.
Price with nothing to play on it will not sell it.

Being able to get all first party games on a Windows 10 PC will not sell it.

Being the new thing will sell it to people who buy things because they are the new thing but you can say that about PS4 as well,

Forza wasn't made next gen exclusive, because the game never was announced for current gen to begin with.

Indeed, but 2019 being the first year without a Forza game since 2010, it would have make sense to assume that MS wanted to benefit one more year to polish their game and make FM(8) a launch title.

Now with the « only next-gen » announcement, and the 18 months cross-gen communication, a release date on 2022 is likely, and thus surprising considering their previous schedule.

It would have been logical to have a cross-gen FM8 for the launch, and two years later the « real » next-gen Forza Motorsport. But the logic is quite confusing at Microsoft right now!

I think MS is heavily relying on the 'most powerful console, 12 TFLOP' thing to sell it at launch. If they aggressively price it and convey that it's potential WILL be realised a year or two down the line then it could still sell well. I don't think it's totally necessary to have a killer game to make it do OK, the PS2's killer game was a DVD player! :lol:

Being able to get all first party games on a Windows 10 PC will not sell it.

Being the new thing will sell it to people who buy things because they are the new thing but you can say that about PS4 as well,

Yeah, I mean I'm talking about extreme when it comes to price, like this thing is gonna have to be like, sub £350 or something. Basically the price point replacemnt for the Xbox One X before it got discontinued.

And to having games. Lots of games and exclusives of quality if possible, as I don't want to think they're selling hardware only, again.

This is where the issue I'm having is. What is the killer exclusive at launch? We know there won't be one first party as it'll be on Xbox One and PC.

I mean at least there are some exclsuvies for PS5 even if it is a bit hazy as to whether they'll be there at launch.

8 gen consoles start with 10-20 games available? 9 gen start with thousands. Until 2016 Xbox One has stronger games lineup and still fail, because of price and lack of performance figures.

8 gen consoles start with 10-20 games available? 9 gen start with thousands.
Xbox One launched with (most of) the Xbox 360 and Xbox back-catalogue, plus 22 first- and third-party games new for the platform.

Xbox Series will launch with (most of) the Xbox One, Xbox 360, and Xbox back-catalogue, but no first-party games new for the platform and only a handful of new third-party games - the Xbox Newswire article lists three (The Medium, Scorn, Tetris Effect: Connected) but even one of those is also scheduled for Xbox One.

Xbox One launched with (most of) the Xbox 360 and Xbox back-catalogue
BC was implemented in 2015

but no first-party games new for the platform and only a handful of new third-party games - the Xbox Newswire article lists three (The Medium, Scorn, Tetris Effect: Connected) but even one of those is also scheduled for Xbox One.

There were 14 big titles for One at start:
  • Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag (Ubisoft, Ubisoft)
  • Battlefield 4 (DICE, Electronic Arts)
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts (Infinity Ward, Activision)
  • Dead Rising 3 (Capcom Vancouver, Microsoft)
  • FIFA 14 (EA Sports, Electronic Arts)
  • Forza Motorsport 5 (Turn 10 Studios, Microsoft Studios)
  • Just Dance 2014 (Ubisoft Paris, Ubisoft)
  • Killer Instinct (Double Helix, Microsoft Studios)
  • Madden NFL 25 (EA Sports, Electronic Arts)
  • NBA 2K14 (Visual Concepts, 2K Sports)
  • NBA LIVE 14 (EA Sports, Electronic Arts)
  • Need for Speed: Rivals (Ghost Games, Electronic Arts)
  • Powerstar Golf (Zoe Mode, Microsoft Studios)
  • Ryse: Son of Rome (Crytek, Microsoft Studios)

And there will be at least 13 big new titles available for XSX:
  • Star Wars: Squadrons (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – October 2
  • Crash Bandicoot 4: It’s About Time (PS4, Xbox One) – October 2
  • Ride 4 (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – October 8
  • FIFA 21 (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – October 9
  • Dirt 5 (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – October 16
  • Watch Dogs: Legion (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Stadia) – October 29
  • Destiny 2: Beyond Light expansion (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Stadia) – November 10
  • Assassin’s Creed Valhalla (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, Stadia) – November 17
  • Cyberpunk 2077 (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X) – November 19
  • The Medium (PC, Xbox Series X) – holiday
  • Scorn (PC, Xbox Series X) – holiday
  • Tetris Effect: Connected (PC, Xbox One, Xbox Series X) – holiday
  • COD Black Ops Cold War – holiday

So now since Xbox has a rough estimate on release date it should be kinda expected to be the same with the PS5?
But still no price which kinda is the pickle.
At lease I have enough saved and a bit extra just in case.

BC was implemented in 2015
Ah yes, I forgot. MS has always made a big noise about BC (rightly so, actually), then decided that it wasn't necessary for XB1, then decided it actually was a year later.
And there will be at least 13 big new titles available for XSX:
  • Star Wars: Squadrons (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – October 2
  • Crash Bandicoot 4: It’s About Time (PS4, Xbox One) – October 2
  • Ride 4 (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – October 8
  • FIFA 21 (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch) – October 9
  • Dirt 5 (PC, PS4, Xbox One) – October 16
  • Watch Dogs: Legion (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Stadia) – October 29
  • Destiny 2: Beyond Light expansion (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Stadia) – November 10
  • Assassin’s Creed Valhalla (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, Stadia) – November 17
  • Cyberpunk 2077 (PC, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X) – November 19
  • The Medium (PC, Xbox Series X) – holiday
  • Scorn (PC, Xbox Series X) – holiday
  • Tetris Effect: Connected (PC, Xbox One, Xbox Series X) – holiday
  • COD Black Ops Cold War – holiday
Available for, yes. New to platform... no. Check out all the games you have there with the words "Xbox One" in them.

The list of first-party titles new to platform is zero, until late 2021 at the earliest. The list of third-party titles new to platform is two: The Medium, and Scorn. These are the only games you will need to buy an Xbox Series X to play. Xbox Newswire lists Tetris Effect as well on that list but it is also an XB1 title.

* More than 50 new games planned for this year across generations and optimized for Xbox Series X, including Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, Dirt 5, Gears Tactics, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, and Watch Dogs: Legion. With Smart Delivery you only have to buy these games once to play the best versions for your console, across generations.
* New games developed for Xbox Series X and launching with Xbox Game Pass,including exclusives like The Medium, Scorn, Tetris Effect: Connected, and more.
* More than 40 popular games newly optimized to take full advantage of Xbox Series X such as Destiny 2, Forza Horizon 4, Gears 5, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Madden NFL 21, and more.
XB1 had 22 launch day games (first- and third-party) - games you needed an XB1 to play. Series has two, neither first-party. Everything else is old XB1 games - some upgraded for XSX (and XSS?) - and BC, which you don't need an XSX to play.

Two new games makes it a very hard, and I'd assume £500, day-one sell. If you already have an Xbox One X, it's an even harder sell (which is probably part of the reason Microsoft has killed it).

Last edited:
Xbox will continue to exist, it wont be a massive failure. Of course PS5 will outsell it in the first year, but i dont think that is a issue for Microsoft. As long as people continue to be invested in Gamepass, its fine for them. There will be a time where Series X will shine with its 12 tf, just not at launch. Maybe with the new Forza 12-24 months down the line. The Halo delay makes sense, but boy does the launch looks barren now.

PS5 isnt looking that much hotter. Spiderman is most likely the only big first Party game at launch. And i simply dont care about those kind of games. But Sony did a way better job in marketing the PS5 and giving people the impression thats its a true nextgen console. The Xbox marketing has been a continous disaster so far.

Very well written sir :)

Yeah Xbox won´t be killed with this and I totally agree if Sony is not able to ship PS5 with GT7 (and we all know they won´t because Polyphony is still slow as ****) I also have no intention to buy a PS5 yet.

The Gamepass is awesome, it really is.

Still I was so much hoping for a new xbox and a new Forza Motorsport but hey it will come.

I even think they should delay the whole console launch but that would be a chicken move.

Halo was meant to be a game as a service so thats why I don´t understand the delay at all.

Available for, yes. New to platform... no. Check out all the games you have there with the words "Xbox One" in them.
XB1 had 22 launch day games (first- and third-party) - games you needed an XB1 to play
Half of Xbox One games available were crossgen, so nope. Another half was mediocre :lol: Same situation with PS4, maybe even worse.

One at start didnt have Game Pass, Smart delivery and BC. Also it was overpriced and underperforming. So in comparison XSX is much better purchase in 2020 than One was in 2013.

So now since Xbox has a rough estimate on release date it should be kinda expected to be the same with the PS5?
But still no price which kinda is the pickle.
At lease I have enough saved and a bit extra just in case.

Sony should move quickly to also give a launch date now. I expect both won't announce pricing till end of September if based on both launching in November. All the press murmuring seems to suggest that the Series X will be priced lower than the PS5.

I was already on the fence about buying the new Xbox at launch (and PS5 for that matter), but I think I will be waiting for sure since Halo was the only thing I was truly interested in. Shame about the delay but better to launch a quality game.

Half of Xbox One games available were crossgen, so nope.
It's not... quite the same thing here though.

Perhaps it's arguable that since you don't need a new copy to play XB1 games on XSX/XSS, but you did need a new copy to play X360 games on XB1 (at least to my understanding of how that worked), the XSX/XSS upgrades are better value than the X360/XB1 upgrades, but then some were also entirely new games with the same name - Madden, for example, ran on the Impact game engine on PS3/X360 and the Ignite game engine on PS4/XB1.

Either way, the XB1 had more new content at launch that you needed the console to play than the XSX will.

Another half was mediocre :lol:
If you say so. I don't recall many complaints about FM5, and that wasn't an upgraded 360 game.
One at start didnt have Game Pass, Smart delivery and BC. Also it was overpriced and underperforming. So in comparison XSX is much better purchase in 2020 than One was in 2013.
It'll have two new games you need to buy the console to play (and what are the chances of half of them being mediocre? I don't know anything about either title). You won't need the console to play anything else on offer.

I'm not seeing how this is a compelling prospect, particularly for XB1X owners. What do XB1X owners need the XSX for, that the XB1X won't be capable of doing when November rolls round?

By 2021/2022, when the XSX is getting first-party games that aren't on XB1, sure, but at launch? Not seeing it.

If you say so. I don't recall many complaints about FM5
Don't really disagree with what you said in general, but this part. I feel like there was a lot of backlash and complaints about the game in general. I don't recall exactly off the top of my head, but I think the big things were missing features compared to FM4 and the general lack of content. It was a solid game and I enjoyed it, but some couldn't look past those issues.

Xbox Series X could have a successful launch if the Flight Simulator reboot comes out for console this year. After all, it’s the first game ever where players can find an AI-generated interpretation of their own house, and it’s graphically stunning. System seller if done right!

Don't really disagree with what you said in general, but this part. I feel like there was a lot of backlash and complaints about the game in general. I don't recall exactly off the top of my head, but I think the big things were missing features compared to FM4 and the general lack of content. It was a solid game and I enjoyed it, but some couldn't look past those issues.
Was that the one where they went all GT3 on it? Cutting down on the car count because more polygons made them harder and more time-consuming to build.

There's been quite a few retroactive complaints about it, like with GT5, but in-period it was the usual "my Forza is better than your GT" (and vice versa, of course!). I think that would have been around GT6 launch time, on the wrong console, too.

Was that the one where they went all GT3 on it? Cutting down on the car count because more polygons made them harder and more time-consuming to build.

There's been quite a few retroactive complaints about it, like with GT5, but in-period it was the usual "my Forza is better than your GT" (and vice versa, of course!). I think that would have been around GT6 launch time, on the wrong console, too.
Yeah that was the one. They did release a good amount of free content throughout the life of it though, but it was still considered the "worst" Forza this generation I think. Hell, people are already complaining that the next iteration is going down the exact same path, so they're already damning that before we even know anything about it.

but then some were also entirely new games with the same name
Rivals, COD,Just Dance 2014,NBA 2K14,Battlefield 4(singlplayer, multiplayer was extended) and AC were all the same on both generations. EA sports games for 360 was updated versions of previous installments.

the XB1 had more new content at launch that you needed the console to play than the XSX will
Sure it has. But was it worth it?

If you say so. I don't recall many complaints about FM5, and that wasn't an upgraded 360 game.
More like downgraded :nervous: Its decent, but miles away from gorgeous masterpiece that FM4 was.

I'm not seeing how this is a compelling prospect, particularly for XB1X owners. What do XB1X owners need the XSX for, that the XB1X won't be capable of doing when November rolls round?
As XB1X owner you could sell it and buy XSX instead. You still can play all you games just with better visuals. You cant do this with 360 and XB1(while they say few words about BC, it wasnt confirmed) back when XB1 was launched.

Rivals, COD,Just Dance 2014,NBA 2K14,Battlefield 4(singlplayer, multiplayer was extended) and AC were all the same on both generations. EA sports games for 360 was updated versions of previous installments.
Which accounts for sevenish of the 22.

As things stand, the XB1 had at least five times as many new games at launch as the XSX will.

Sure it has. But was it worth it?
If not, the platform with 80% fewer new games won't be either.
As XB1X owner you could sell it and buy XSX instead. You still can play all you games just with better visuals. You cant do this with 360 and XB1(while they say few words about BC, it wasnt confirmed) back when XB1 was launched.
Okay, but that doesn't really answer the question. The question was what XB1X owners need to upgrade to an XB1X for that their XB1X can't do. What's the thing that makes you think "wow, I need to do that upgrade!", because the XB1X does not have that capability?

You're looking at spending £200 to change your XB1X at launch to an XSX to... carry on playing the same games, or a choice of a whole two new ones, and doing the same things. I'm not seeing the compelling argument for doing this. Two years down the line, sure. Launch day? Nah.

Back