Microsoft's Next Xbox is Actually Just Called 'Xbox', Apparently

Just Call it Xbox 4 and never think about making stupid names again for the future ones.

No one cares what some delusional Marketing department thinks makes a Console sell, all it does it make it confusing as a name.

Xbox one is already stupid because now you have to call the first generation Console the Original Xbox to not confuse people when talking about it.

Scene: 75 years in the future, Commander Scott is at the holodeck doors.

"The android at the bar said you could show me my old console. Lemme see it."
Insufficient data. Please specify parameters.
"The Xbox! Show me the Xbox, yer chatterin' piece of…"
There have been six consoles with that name. Please specify by model number.
"X-B-O-X, no bloody 360, One, S, X, or Series X."
Program complete. Enter when ready.

Xbox one is already stupid because now you have to call the first generation Console the Original Xbox to not confuse people when talking about it.

This criticism never made any sense to me. No one ever called the OG Xbox anything other than "Xbox", so I fail to see how Xbox One confuses one for the other.

I think that criticism is better levied at the original PlayStation which legitimately features the same original console, albeit smaller named PlayStation One.

Manufacturers scrambling to accommodate?
images

This criticism never made any sense to me. No one ever called the OG Xbox anything other than "Xbox", so I fail to see how Xbox One confuses one for the other.

I think that criticism is better levied at the original PlayStation which legitimately features the same original console, albeit smaller named PlayStation One.
Playstations is as simple as possible and even though it's a different design the Playstation One is the same console just slim.

Playstations is as simple as possible and even though it's a different design the Playstation One is the same console just slim.

Which is exactly my point. It's the same model, albeit smaller, but with a different model SKU. Yet, somehow the Xbox and the Xbox One, that released two whole generations after the fact — 12 years later — confuses people?

Which is exactly my point. It's the same model, albeit smaller, but with a different model SKU. Yet, somehow the Xbox and the Xbox One, that released two whole generations after the fact — 12 years later — confuses people?
Yes.

I don't know how it is for you, but it's Australian Nature to shorten everything, the amount of times someone has called an Xbox one just Xbox for me and then I clarified they meant Xbox one, only for me to say the latest one because it just makes me think of the Original is confusing.

Playstation solves that just by calling it PS1.

Last edited:
Yes.

I don't know how it is for you, but it's Australian Nature to shorten everything, the amount of times someone has called an Xbox one just Xbox for me and then I clarified they meant Xbox one only for my to say the latest one because it just makes me think of the Original is confusing.

I've noticed this as well. We say PS 1, PS 2 and so on but every different model XBox is simply called XBox. We're a strange lot down here. :lol:

My girlfriend works at a used game store, customers phone in saying they have an “Xbox 1” to sell, then bring in an original Xbox. It’s because it’s the first one, it’s #1. The same people call 360 just Xbox and the whole thing just collapses from there.

The multitude of DS and 3DS variations cause almost as much confusion.

Never overestimate the intelligence of the public.

Just Call it Xbox 4 and never think about making stupid names again for the future ones.

No one cares what some delusional Marketing department thinks makes a Console sell, all it does it make it confusing as a name.

They had to think of unique names because they probably don't like to sound similar or traditional like how Sony simply names their PlayStation consoles.

The fake shopping scenarios around this are hilarious. What "grandma" is spending $500 for "lil Timmy" on a game console? LOL
The design should speak for itself, if that brick is not on the console box, grandma, ya got the wrong one.

They had to think of unique names because they probably don't like to sound similar or traditional like how Sony simply names their PlayStation consoles.
Could of just done what Samsung did to Apple, and just add an S, but it's not like Sony invented Numbering.

Could of just done what Samsung did to Apple, and just add an S, but it's not like Sony invented Numbering.
I concur. Though Nintendo seems more unique and awesome when it comes to naming their consoles compared to Xbox and PS.

Something which has already been happening for some time, really. I don't think it's been any different ever since they decided to make a second console. You'd still have people saying Oh I have an Xbox(or even Playstation) disregarding any exact title the console has. This just sounds a bit blown out of proportion.

Yes.

I don't know how it is for you, but it's Australian Nature to shorten everything, the amount of times someone has called an Xbox one just Xbox for me and then I clarified they meant Xbox one, only for me to say the latest one because it just makes me think of the Original is confusing.

Except, when spoken aloud, calling it PS1 is incorrect, unless you're specifically referring to the slim model. PSX is also incorrect, despite it being its original codename as that now refers to the failed DVR from 2003 (?). If we're going to split hairs, then let's split all of the hairs. :lol:

Understand, I'm not being combative for the laughs. I'm trying to understand how Xbox nomenclature riles so many feathers, yet the PlayStation is always used as the de facto standard when it can be (and has been) just as confusing in every one of these examples that tend to come to light.

Well yes, and same with Sega when they made consoles, but Microsoft is terrible with names on the Console and should be revoked from naming privileges.
Well, the Xbox 360 sounded good when it came out, at least. :lol:

Except, when spoken aloud, calling it PS1 is incorrect, unless you're specifically referring to the slim model. PSX is also incorrect, despite it being its original codename as that now refers to the failed DVR from 2003 (?). If we're going to split hairs, then let's split all of the hairs. :lol:

Understand, I'm not being combative for the laughs. I'm trying to understand how Xbox nomenclature riles so many feathers, yet the PlayStation is always used as the de facto standard when it can be (and has been) just as confusing in every one of these examples that tend to come to light.
It might not be technically correct but for everyone it's simple because the Playstation one is still the same Console and the PSX is soo rare most people dont know it even exists.

The Xbox is clearly more confusing especially when it comes to people not familiar with gaming, explaining it to non gaming people is not as easy as you make it sound.

It might not be technically correct but for everyone it's simple because the Playstation one is still the same Console and the PSX is soo rare most people dont know it even exists.

The Xbox is clearly more confusing especially when it comes to people not familiar with gaming, explaining it to non gaming people is not as easy as you make it sound.
Explaining to a non gaming person would not be any more difficult no matter what brand you're talking about. You'd tell them one is called the Xbox One, and one is called the Playstation 4.

Place the word Super in front of it, job done.
Worked for Nintendo, for those of you old enough to remember the excitement of the early 90s...You have a Super Nintendo!?!

Super Xbox.

Back