Microtransactions Have Arrived in Gran Turismo Sport

If a band remasters an album, do you consider it a brand new release?

A hilarious and disingenuous comparison, almost as if you didn't even read my post. That car model can't even be considered a "remaster" of any sort, it's literally starting over from scratch, nothing about the polygonal model, textures and materiel work are reused, just like a new-car-series GT car.

A remastered album of songs is literally just a reused album that takes the original old master and just digitally enhance the sound effects and get rid of old noise, they didn't even recreate anything over. Nice mental gymnastics though.

A hilarious and disingenuous comparison, almost as if you didn't even read my post. That car model can't even be considered a "remaster" of any sort, it's literally starting over from scratch, nothing about the polygonal model, textures and materiel work are reused.

But that's necessary work to bring the assets into the next generation of consoles.

By your logic, Christiano Ronaldo is a new character everytime EA releases a FIFA game.

But that's necessary work to bring the assets into the next generation of consoles.

By your logic, Christiano Ronaldo is a new character everytime EA releases a FIFA game.

GT series has 1000+ cars they must bring to modern standards from their PS2 age in addition to new-to-series cars, modern graphical standards that involve longer development times (6 months to create one car from scratch) and increasing development cost. If it was so easy to create those cars from scratch as just saying it's only necessary work to bring them to modern era, then why are there still 1000+ cars from the PS2 games missing in modern standard, even back in the GT5/GT6 days? Forza 5 even charged as paid DLC for bringing back old Forza cars updated to this gen, I had no problem with that.

Players character models in Fifa games just use a facial 3D scanned model of their heads and attach them to the same generic 3D body model rescaled to different sizes. It isn't going to take 6 months and massive development costs to create one character in Fifa. The comparison doesn't make any sense.

Several of the cars like this that were in the previous games most absolutely should be considered new content. Same car for the past 6 games but it's obvious they had to completely remake it from scratch to modern standards as if it were a new car to the series. That's the same amount of time a modeler/artist would have been spent on a completely new car from 2018, employees Polyphony have on their payroll. I suspect a lot of returning cars are coming out earlier than new-to-series cars because Polyphony already has all of the photo/video research and laser scan data to have gotten an earlier start on creating them.

00rvicz.jpg

01vzcwe.jpg

14ypc3u.jpg

15lrf89.jpg

No. That simply is not how that works. As I expressed before, it is a returning car, something you prove with the comparison images above. The model is new, but the vehicle itself as it exists in Gran Turismo is not. And your FM5 comparison is wholly offensive to the point you're attempting to prove in and of itself.

Look at the uproar that model caused for the game within the community. No seriously, go have a look at the uproar it caused — you'll find very few people that agreed with it, and you'll find fewer still calling any of those vehicles "new" in any way, shape, or form. A series of returning car, previously seen in Forza 4 with a few genuinely new cars sprinkled in dissuaded me (and quite a few others) from buying the car pass until Turn 10 proved it was a worthwhile addition again.

I've never seen so many people upset over what others choose to do with their own time and/or money. :boggled: I shut off the micro-transaction option and just kept on rolling. What do I care whether someone spent their $3 on a car or spent hours "grinding" for it? That is their choice. If they value their time more than money then go for it. Should I be upset that a teenager on summer break has 10x more time to play Gran Turismo than I do? Should I consider it unfair that he/she is able to grind away at the game for hours and I cannot because I have a job and an adult life? Going by some folks logic here it seems I should be! :lol: But I'm not upset. You see, I couldn't care less if people grind their lives away in GT Sport, or choose to spend their money buying cars. It is whatever works for you. I'm glad you have the option to fully enjoy the game, however it suits you. As long as it isn't pay-to-win nonsense, and it isn't, then I fail to see how having more choices is a bad thing.

No. That simply is not how that works. As I expressed before, it is a returning car, something you prove with the comparison images above. The model is new, but the vehicle itself as it exists in Gran Turismo is not. And your FM5 comparison is wholly offensive to the point you're attempting to prove in and of itself.

Look at the uproar that model caused for the game within the community. No seriously, go have a look at the uproar it caused — you'll find very few people that agreed with it, and you'll find fewer still calling any of those vehicles "new" in any way, shape, or form. A series of returning car, previously seen in Forza 4 with a few genuinely new cars sprinkled in dissuaded me (and quite a few others) from buying the car pass until Turn 10 proved it was a worthwhile addition again.

Do explain how "it works." You have to pay the artists and modelers for those 6 months in recreating that car from scratch, 6 months which could have just been used in creating a completely new-to-series car model. It is a "returning" car yes, but it IS new content to GTS. That Forza example just proves that creating "returning car" models is just as time consuming as creating "new-to-series" car models, not like some generic FIFA player characters. I'm aware of the backlash back at the time for it just like some people here are giving backlash for GTS (except in GTS you're still getting it for free), I'm just saying I was fine with it, especially as someone who dabbles in 3d modeling.

That ps2 GT car model doesn't even have an intricate cockpit modeled which actually takes up half of the development time.

And it's so funny to watch that this thread turned into a war for a Forza fans when motorsport 7 is clearly very poorly sold, they let horizon 3 into the battle, which was released in September 2016 on 2 platforms (with Play Anywhere).

What's really funny is the cultist attitude of some members when it comes to GT. And the post below is the first to mention other games including FM. And off course it's from a GT white knight. So you are very wide of the mark. Think some people really need to seek help for their issues.

PD is well aware of a backlash which is why they put a hide-MT option. But I think the reason why they went ahead with the idea is cause MTs are proving to be important to the video games industry for post-launch profits. Maybe Sony was directing PD to do it. At least it was done in a sensible way, a dollar for a car instead of a cash pack.

Hey at least it isn't RNG loot boxes, and no content is exclusively locked away for people to get, unlike FM/AC/PCARS DLCs.

That ps2 GT car model doesn't even have an intricate cockpit modeled which actually takes up half of the development time.
I'm quite sure that others are talking about returning cars that already were premium models! Without source, i do believe/agree that upgraded standards are done from scratch and i wish there were more of them.

It’s so funny watching the same people act as if they would commit seppuku for GT. :dunce:
But on this forum same forza fans comes "like flies on ****" in whining GTS topics, as if their internal pains subside from any GTS failures.

Last edited:
Thing is, if you're here, this doesnt affect you. You can afford all cars under $2 mil.

So who are you angry for? Casuals? Nah.

Kaz going back on his word? I sort of think that you shouldnt be holding one persons word as bond in situations like this.

Would I trust luminaries like Todd Howard or Dan Greenawalt or any of the figureheads when they are talking about multimillion dollar properties?

No.

Business decisions change on a dime.

This sort of thing is a very low impact change. On an altruistic angle I wish these things didnt happen but then I wish for world peace and a Shelby Cobra Daytona...

What's really funny is the cultist attitude of some members when it comes to GT. And the post below is the first to mention other games including FM. And off course it's from a GT white knight. So you are very wide of the mark. Think some people really need to seek help for their issues.

Yup that's a fitting description :lol: I only own AC and PCARS among those games I've compared so I must be clearly biased against FM. :rolleyes:
I did realise I forgot to give my stance on the MT debate, which I'll point out that I'm not supporting MTs in any way. I only written my previous comment in a neutral manner cause observers like me need a non-opinionated open mind when approaching controversial subjects. I wouldn't bash the nation of Russia the very chance I'm hearing trivial news about Vladimir Putin, cause there's a depth of the news that isn't covered on the media that may be critical and sound wide of the mark of the commoner's expectation who believes the media is supporting their argument. I study games development and MTs are a new reality we have to face. I personally don't like it, but games are made to print money anyway.

But on this forum more forza fans comes "like flies on ****" in whining GTS topics, as if their internal pains subside from any GTS failures.

The terrible PS3 era of GT has caused relatively unfair stigmatisation of the brand and its biggest fans on this forum, from the harsh cultist attitude of other biased people on GTPlanet who follow from other sim-racing game alignments.

So :@:PzR Slim, why do you think I am putting GT on a pedestal? I just like the game better for my own reasons I believe are valid, that's all.
If it wasn't out of context to discuss my reasons why though, I would just straight up roasting FM. :cheers:

Do explain how "it works." You have to pay the artists and modelers for those 6 months in recreating that car from scratch, 6 months which could have just been used in creating a completely new-to-series car model.
Assuming, of course, that PD were actually doing that.

Not every returning car that PD graciously added for free to their flagship game (with a poor launch reception) were assets that they had been bootstrapping a decade past their sell by date like.

But on this forum more forza fans comes "like flies on ****" in whining GTS topics, as if their internal pains subside from any GTS failures.
With the sheer irony that usual suspects on the other end of the discussion, seem to act like anything is better than admitting GTS has any failures compared to any game? I guess that makes your group as the other flies enjoying the same **** then b/c you're all as involved in the discussion as we are.

Makes sense. The only turd left to argue seems to be sales, seeing as 1 GTS fly was caught lying about graphics (& physics), and another fly tried to tell a Staff member with multiple years of track experience that he was wrong about GTS' tire physics, but had no desire to actually explain why.

So, hey, great analogy to bring up in a group where people are constantly full of it. 👍

Yup that's a fitting description :lol: I only own AC and PCARS among those games I've compared so I must be clearly biased against FM. :rolleyes:
I did realise I forgot to give my stance on the MT debate, which I'll point out that I'm not supporting MTs in any way. I only written my previous comment in a neutral manner cause observers like me need a non-opinionated open mind when approaching controversial subjects. I wouldn't bash the nation of Russia the very chance I'm hearing trivial news about Vladimir Putin, cause there's a depth of the news that isn't covered on the media that may be critical and sound wide of the mark of the commoner's expectation who believes the media is supporting their argument. I study games development and MTs are a new reality we have to face. I personally don't like it, but games are made to print money anyway.

The terrible PS3 era of GT has caused relatively unfair stigmatisation of the brand and its biggest fans on this forum, from the harsh cultist attitude of other biased people on GTPlanet who follow from other sim-racing game alignments.

So :@:PzR Slim, why do you think I am putting GT on a pedestal? I just like the game better for my own reasons I believe are valid, that's all.
If it wasn't out of context to discuss my reasons why though, I would just straight up roasting FM. :cheers:
Quite funny that you took all that from my post. I was merely pointing out to a member that it was someone defending GTS that first brought other games into the discussion when they intimated that it was 'Forza fans' who wanted to turn it into a 'war'. I made absolutely no comment on what you had said.

But on this forum same forza fans comes "like flies on ****" in whining GTS topics, as if their internal pains subside from any GTS failures.

Posts like this as so revealing about a persons mentality. I just don't understand the us and them mentality. I own a PC, PS4 and XBone. I play every racing game I can get my hands on. I do not pass comment out of some cultist love for one franchise. I pass comment based on my experience of playing them and noticing what is good and bad about them.

For example the new tyre model has made the game much better which means I much prefer it to FM7 now but the broken economy, poor selection of tracks and need for multiple button presses in menus to achieve what you want are still a big problem with the game.

The inability for some to accept any criticism of 'their' game is beyond pathetic.

Last edited:
Well they said there was not going to be any MT's. Now we have it is normal for fans to feel betrayed.

Now nobody will trust PD and Sony.

If we tolerate MT's it could get worse. Gt Sport is the not the worst with its microtransactions but in the future it could get worse if the fans dont do anything about it.

Well they said there was not going to be any MT's. Now we have it is normal for fans to feel betrayed.

If we tolerate MT's it could get worse. Gt Sport is the not the worst with its microtransactions but in the future it could get worse if the fans dont do anything about it.
I think it's a bit harsh to say we've been betrayed! It's not like we have to use the MT function! As I said earlier, all this 'outrage' would be justified for an exclusive car, but come on, it's only for cars under Cr.2M which are all easily obtainable through normal gameplay.

Quite funny that you took all that from my post. I was merely pointing out to a member that it was someone defending GTS that first brought other games into the discussion when they intimated that it was 'Forza fans' who wanted to turn it into a 'war'. I made absolutely no comment on what you had said.
Oh my bad. I wasn't supposed to take offence to the 'white knight' comment. I didn't know what it means so I looked it up on UrbanDictionary and concluded that the word meant I was committing a double standard to circlejerking GT in defence.

You can make the same argument with paid DLC though. In fact when post-launch paid DLC first started last gen gamers automatically assumed it would result in the acceptance of "incomplete games," where devs locked content and game features already created, completed, and stored on the disk behind a paywall. We've now gotten to a point where paid DLC is highly accepted because devs no longer abuse it as gamers are smart enough to know when they're being taken advantage of. Microtransactions don't have to be abused and can be implementated fairly just like paid DLC. The moment Polyphony and Sony pulls a BS move that degrades the player experience and an insult of intelligence is when you will most definitely hear the most die-hard fans complain, just look at how all of the SW:Battlefront fans boycotted how microtransactions destroyed Battlefront 2 game design, resulting in very poor sales for EA.

Last edited:
I've never seen so many people upset over what others choose to do with their own time and/or money. :boggled: I shut off the micro-transaction option and just kept on rolling. What do I care whether someone spent their $3 on a car or spent hours "grinding" for it? That is their choice. If they value their time more than money then go for it. Should I be upset that a teenager on summer break has 10x more time to play Gran Turismo than I do? Should I consider it unfair that he/she is able to grind away at the game for hours and I cannot because I have a job and an adult life? Going by some folks logic here it seems I should be! :lol: But I'm not upset. You see, I couldn't care less if people grind their lives away in GT Sport, or choose to spend their money buying cars. It is whatever works for you. I'm glad you have the option to fully enjoy the game, however it suits you. As long as it isn't pay-to-win nonsense, and it isn't, then I fail to see how having more choices is a bad thing.
:lol: So if someone with no practice in the game other that WATCHING TWO VIDEOS can buy a Gr3 car and go to sport mode without driving anything in the game at all. That will be fun for people's safety ratings. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The amount of bending the concept of reality by defenders of the faith in this thread is hilarious.

Fact. Kaz said no to MT. Fact. MT is now in the game.

No amount of "you don't have to use them if you don't want to" can change that.

In addition to that how can anyone know with any certainty that the game loop wasn't designed with the addition of MT at a later date?

Last edited:
You can make the same argument with paid DLC though. In fact when post-launch paid DLC first started last gen gamers automatically assumed it would result in the acceptance of "incomplete games," where devs locked content and game features already created, completed, and stored on the disk behind a paywall. We've now gotten to a point where paid DLC is highly accepted because devs no longer abuse it as gamers are smart enough to know when they're being taken advantage of. Microtransactions don't have to be abused and can be implementated fairly just like paid DLC. The moment Polyphony and Sony pulls a BS move that degrades the player experience and an insult of intelligence is when you will most definitely hear the most die-hard fans complain, just look at how all of the SW:Battlefront fans boycotted how microtransactions destroyed Battlefront 2 game design, resulting in very poor sales for EA.

I remember the time when Expansion packs were the way to go such a shame they are basically gone as DLC took its place.

I have no problem with paid DLC if it adds more to the game at a fair price but also has effort put into it rather than being rushed, removed to be old later or on disc dlc. DLC can also be abused we seen that with the likes of EA and Capcom.

I remember the time when Expansion packs were the way to go such a shame they are basically gone as DLC took its place.

I have no problem with paid DLC if it adds more to the game at a fair price but also has effort put into it rather than being rushed, removed to be old later or on disc dlc. DLC can also be abused we seen that with the likes of EA and Capcom.

Yeah Capcom was one of the worst and most guilty of it last-gen, lol. People datamined the disks and found a bunch of completed hidden content.

If other racing games had MTs, they would get slated to hell and back, so why should PD and Sony get away with it? No "AAA" game should ever be immune from criticism over MTs, even if its a game people enjoy very much.
This is a stupid thing to say. So GT warrants a strong criticism now that micro transactions are in the game? Completely ignoring all the good things about it? If people like a game with micro transactions, so what? Not everyone needs to be outraged by it.

Can't help myself but to laugh. How gullible are you people? As if fans of the series haven't been through this before. At this point you all should've known better not take Kaz's words as some kind of utlimate truth.

Edit: I don't agree with or like MT in fully priced AAA-games at all but my point still stands.

Last edited:
I think Forza had MTX since at least 4 w/ buying tokens with real world cash and then cars costing a set amount of tokens.

GT5 was apparently the DLC MTx king.

GT6 you could buy credits ending up up with a $20 mil 250gto costing like $10?

This isnt without precedence. Then again, I feel like most people arguing are philosophically against this rather than thinking about how it actually affects them.

MXH
Can't help myself but to laugh. How gullible are you people? As if fans of the series haven't been through this before. At this point you all should've known better not take Kaz's words as some kind of utlimate truth.

Edit: I don't agree with or like MT in fully priced AAA-games at all but my point still stands.
Classic diversionary tactics! Who knew, Kaz said MT's wouldn't be in the game and now they are it's our fault.

MXH
How gullible are you people?
I guess not so much. Its just they gave PD and Sony a benefit of the doubt. Now that the MT released, PD and Sony are basically hold less accountable for their fans.

Then again, we dont know what happens behind the scenes. Are PD costs so much to Sony that the MT is enforced by Sony? Are Kaz past answer about MT only apply to launch? We don't know.

Again doesn't matter if the Microtransactions isn't majorly harmful to the game itself. Yes Microtransactions is looked down due to most publishers exploits the customers by it and does play part of the negativity. But for me it isnt the no. 1 problem for GTSport.

If you switch off MT, then they are no longer in the game. I haven’t had much chance to play since the update, but I can only assume that switch is very difficult to turn off, otherwise surely all the people complaining would have done it by now

Back