Microtransactions Have Arrived in Gran Turismo Sport

GT6 was actually boring, for me of course, I got so much money thanks to the online races that I literally didn't know what to do with it. One of the things I didn't like from the last one (I think is probably the only thing I didn't like). The game was too easy, it was pointless.

And now is when someone says
hey, that is a clear contradiction
and I answer
GT6 was a normal/classic Gran Turismo. This is Gran Turismo (FIA) Sport, I don't want to grind to have the race cars, I want to buy them, that's ok for me

Although, and I finish my argumentation (your honors), I'm aware that in any moment someone in PD can go bananas and make everything microtransactions, just as they removed the tuning or implemented/eliminated stuff without a clear reason (from a user point of view). Who knows what crosses the mind of a board member in a japanese multinational. I understand that some people might be uneasy with the money thing (I personally don't care, I have a monthly budget to expend in silly stuff like videogames because I don't smoke, don't drink, don't party and don't use drugs. That's a lot of money saved every month)

edited: sorry moderator, I'd gladly make these 2 post 1 but don't know how

Last edited by a moderator:
The weatherman said it wasn’t going to rain today. Guess what, it’s raining I feel betrayed and am gonna start moaning about it on an Internet forum!

Wow, those cars are expensive, i checked the store and there are 43 cars for sale. Most are priced €2,99. So if you would buy all those cars it would cost around €130.

I think it is also even more expensive than the GT5 DLC packs. How can it be more expensive to unlock content than buy a new expansion? If they are really concerned not everybody can drive the cars they should just add seasonal events or higher payouts in career and online mode.

...NO, that's how you get games designed to be boring or time consuming in order to coax you towards paying money cut out an artificial middle-man. I fear PD or Sony will see those sort of comments and decide it's perfectly acceptable to for all intents and purposes lock cars behind a paywall due to insufficient progression systems. Absolutely no game should ever be developed in such a way where physical monetary transactions are encouraged in order to make all of a game's content accessible - if you want to charge more for extra post launch content, make it paid DLC, or find other aesthetic or optional opt-in purchasable items to garner revenue. In GT's case they could do extra avatar or suit items, special decal packs, some custom livery designs (either PD-originals or colabs with brands, tuning houses, or racing teams). I literally came up with all of this right now off the top of my head.

There's already several things that could be done to make the expensive cars more accessible through simple game design changes. Payouts in Sport Mode could be increased (which would be a double whammy, drawing more people into the highlight mode of the game), higher-tier league events could get higher payouts, a stronger progression system could be added in which more progression=higher payouts, and where near 100% completion credits come so easily just about anything is accessible, or some special challenges could be added that reward some/all of the expensive cars (something like that would bring back a mechanic to GT that hasn't been seen in 10+ years). Something like a "collector's series" set of mission events, where the eight events provide 2-2.5cr a piece, and golding all of them reward you with a random 15-20mil car (or even on per medal), and then your rewards let you purchase another of your choice.

So much could be done but corporate greed is mucking things up. I don't know if Sony are all to blame, or PD is getting their hands dirty here too.

This. When it comes down to it, you can balance a game's economy to work in the most fun way you could possibly come up with, or you can balance a games economy to make some money on microtransactions.

Yes, you can balance it somewhere in the middle, but you are, by definition not making the most fun game you can make. And you're doing so on purpose.

The micro transactions in GT sport don't appear to be very bad. But the idea of them are definitely something we as a community should be wary of.

So, you're saying that having more options is bad? Nobody is forcing you to give any more money. It's an option.

No. I am saying that you are tricked into paying twice for something you’ve already paid for and you don’t even seem to realize it from the looks of your reply.

I don’t mind paying for DLC, I do mind developers introducing microtransactions to trick lazy people and people that lack time to play into paying more than once for exactly the same product.

You can say what you want but it’s criminal to make people pay twice for one product when said product stays in the possession of the same person, it doesn’t even matter if the owner in question chooses to pay again as you mention, it’s criminal.

How would like it if you’d buy a new car full-option, only to later find out you need to pay an extra one-time fee to be able to use you airconditioning on hot days...

Either way, my opinion won’t change and I’m glad my country (Belgium) is -one of the only to my
Knowledge- fighting microtransactions in the gaming industry.

But... but... you dont have to! In fact if you do your kind of a fool. Like I agree they shouldnt really be there but your acting like PD is forcing you to pay money for these things. They arent.

Totally and completely irrelevant that they are not forcing people to pay.

The option to pay for something that has already been paid for, is criminal.

Edited into my previous post.

*moderators feel free to delete this post, i can’t find where I can delete this on my wrecked iPhone lol.

No. I am saying that you are tricked into paying twice for something you’ve already paid for and you don’t even seem to realize it from the looks of your reply.
How in the world is this a trick, and who the hell would be getting tricked? You're pushing that narrative a bit too much. There's nothing hidden about it, it's extremely up-front on what it is.

Maybe this is the reason microtransactions were introduced? Gotta pay the bills somehow (if this is true). Check the quote below.

Polyphony Digital stopped complete Internal manufacturing modeling

Source:
The company modeling Honda S660 is ModelingCafe

Translation:
Cafegroup New Work by Modeling Cafe Fukuoka.

I was able to help modeling HONDA_S 660 of Gran Turismo SPORT which is currently on sale at Modeling Cafe. Although it was a very difficult project, it was
successfully implemented in July's update .

In addition, due to consideration of Polyphony Digital as a client, we were able to disclose actual situation.
Projects and work that you can disclose achievements like this time is truly a blessing to motivate the company and the staff and it is really appreciated.
We invite you to enjoy Gran Turismo SPORT at S660.

Here's the thing though, I don't think you've played the PS1/PS2 GT games if you don't realize it literally created the CAR-RPG collectathon game design 20 years ago which required grinding to get all cars and actually drew in fans with that design. Some people like progression in their games instead of having everything unlocked from the start. GTS isn't designed around microtransactions, it's actually easier to obtain most of the cars in this game compared to the old Gran Turismos where microtransactions never even existed. You literally get a free prize car every day in GTS just for driving around a length of 1.5 Nurburgring laps. The only cars in the game that most agree on being too excessive in price are the 20 million credit cars, in which case you can't even buy those with microtransactions.

Honest question, I'm curious did you complain about GTS's (or any old GT) game progression design and how it's anti-consumer before MTX was even introduced in this update? The game economy and design hasn't changed since the game launched.

The issue — for lack of a better term — is that GT Sport is billed as the “new era” of GT. So what came before doesn’t necessarily inform what does now. Of course, we’ve seen a lot of walk back since launch on that front. A more traditional single player campaign was added. Most of the post-launch cars are road cars.

It’s true, the 20M cars are the main source of frustration for some, and they are excluded from the new MT program. They’re a great example of the split-personality that is GTS though: they’re so far into grind territory that they may actually be the hardest cars to acquire from a time standpoint since... GT5 maybe?

I also think we may be conflating the collectathon CARPG approach with grinding. The big draw back in GT1-GT3 times, at least for me, was a combination of everyday cars and the steady march upward in terms of car performance via purchases and upgrades. The zero-to-hero model, if you will.

GT Sport just can’t do that on the same level. I’m not too bothered by that (not as much as I thought I’d be), but I’m guessing that’s largely due to changed priorities over 20 years! ;)

But back in GT1 days, you could afford any car within about an hour of play. A dozen hours or more for one car is a huge jump, compounded by the somewhat bizarre choice of making Sport Mode payouts/XP so minuscule.

No. You're wrong

This is all my personal opinion, it's diferent than yours

:confused:

The outcome in the end was to have all content available outside career mode, but have some stuff locked behind certain events within the career itself - which I thought was a reasonable compromise.

It’s a similar case in the Forza Motorsport games (though not Horizon). In FM7, you can drive any car in-game as a "Rental", in Arcade or Career. In Career, you don't earn any XP/credits with a rental, though.

Saying this I think once you finish all the SP misions you should have all the content at hand from game progress view right?

Sort of. I'd love to get properly nerdy and figure out how much "grind" (as in, repeating events multiple times) is in the old GT games. From my admittedly foggy memory, it all really kicked off with GT4. There were too many cars in that game for even the massive career to cover in terms of prize money. GT5 made it worse with the 20M cars (and no way to go over that amount in the bank).

For comparison, I just recently hit 700 cars owned in FM7. That's practically the entire list at launch, but with all DLC, I'm missing a few dozen of the original list (and, like GTS, they're mostly the most expensive cars). I haven't even done all of the career events yet, though I have run a few dozen online races, and do collect Forza Rewards (500k/week), if I remember to redeem on the website.

In GT Sport, I own one of the 20M cars thanks to a lucky daily prize spin. I own around 200 cars at last count, though it'd be higher if not for two things: one, I remove any duplicates from my garage (unless I really want two different colours); two, I've also removed any <1M car and bought it instead to work towards the in-game Achievement. The exception to that is the Vision GT cars; I keep prize versions of those since I don't want to waste the credits on them.

Four of the cars in GT Sport cost 75 million credits combined. The next 63 cars cost 77.46 million credits combined (31M of which is Gr.X Vision GTs). The remainder of the lineup (171 cars)? 42,064,290 Cr. Written a different way, each 20M car is roughly 10% of the entire lineup's worth right now. That's undoubtedly contributing to the frustration some players face; you can buy 200 of the game's cheapest cars, or one of the most expensive.

On the plus side, and tying it all back to a comment at the top of this post, Sport is a "new era" GT game. You don't "need" those 20M cars, at least not for the main thrust of the game (the Sport Mode). I don't believe they've shown up one-make races there, unless PD provided the car. But with BOP, at least in theory, you can hop into all of the main Gr. classes for a few million credits — and the game positively chucks Gr.3 cars at you via Circuit Experience.

Then again, you don't "need" a lot of cars in the CARPG style of game. But some of us just want to drive as many of them as possible! :D

A lot of people (looking at you The American) are missing the fact here that Gran Turismo hasn't be made a grind to introduce transactions. The game has been a grind since December 23, 1997.

See above: you could buy any car in GT1 after barely over an hour. The handful of cars you couldn't buy? Either a maximum of two hours or so (GV Enduro), or be insanely quick (the Gold license prizes).

This update essentially changes nothing. Buy the car with credits if you don't want to use your own money. Buy the cars with your own money if you don't have the time to get the credits.

The only gripe you could have is if you think they've deliberately made it hard to get credits in the hope that people would use real cash. Which isn't what I think they've done it for really (although of course they will make some money from it.)
Pay more money to play less of the game!

I don’t mind paying for DLC, I do mind developers introducing microtransactions to trick lazy people and people that lack time to play into paying more than once for exactly the same product.
You can say what you want but it’s criminal to make people pay twice for one product when said product stays in the possession of the same person, it doesn’t even matter if the owner in question chooses to pay again as you mention, it’s criminal.
How would like it if you’d buy a new car full-option, only to later find out you need to pay an extra one-time fee to be able to use you airconditioning on hot days...
Either way, my opinion won’t change and I’m glad my country (Belgium) is -one of the only to my

You are not paying for something that you already paid for, that is a simply factual wrong. You paid for the game and the mechanics it provides to get cars and drive them, if you are surprised by this after 20+ years of GT i fault you, not the game. You are being offered a shortcut, you are not being tricked.

Your country is getting rid of loot boxes aka gambling in games, please let me know if i am wrong. If you had to pay 3 euro for a spin with 4 random cars PD would be in trouble, this is nothing like that. The other bad version of MT is content hidden behind a paywall, this is also not the case.

Then we have the free games that rely on MT to survive, they usually do it by creating a constant flow of custom items that never return, content that you can buy with a virtual earned credit, but it is impossible to get everything without paying real money.

The GT version of MT is used in pretty much every big game out there (Battlefield series etc) since forever, this is boosting via MT. I can essentially buy a F1 car for 3 euro the day i get the game and compete in whatever daily races there may be with that. It is just that usually those single car events provides the car... hmmm. The real boost is being able to buy the Megane car when there is an event that gives that an advantage.

We have people that spend most time in creating Custom liveries, they might love this feature, they can buy a new car to paint.

This is DLC (that you support??) mini sized.

The only real issue is the loss of trust with PD when they told us it would not come, even if the answer was giving as a side remark in what i remember as not being a real interview. I would have liked the journalist, or whoever it was to dig more into the answer. I think it is pretty clear, that either the answer was meant for the launch version, or that PD needed to backtrack on that answer if they wanted to keep on supporting the game and they needed the money for that. I just bought 2 cars, i didn't really need them that bad, i just wanted to support a game i have played for more hours than any other game the past 2 years.

Optional microtransactions aren't criminal. You haven't had payed for the time it takes you to earn credits in game. You can choose to play and have the money or pay a minuscule amount of money for a car. Or decide to support a 60 bucks game you have enjoyed for 1000hours and donate like 1 dollar for a 400k Cr. Gr. 3 car. I rather have that than traditional Dlc. On the other hand I will gladly pay like a 100 dollars for having a real track like Silverstone, Spa or whatever, or even classic GT fictional tracks like Grand Valley.

I don’t think Belgium is outlawing DLC or micro transactions but they are outlawing loot/Skinner box gambling behaviour exploits which GT Sport does use.

Maybe this is the reason microtransactions were introduced? Gotta pay the bills somehow (if this is true). Check the quote below.

Translation:
Cafegroup New Work by Modeling Cafe Fukuoka.

I was able to help modeling HONDA_S 660 of Gran Turismo SPORT which is currently on sale at Modeling Cafe. Although it was a very difficult project, it was
successfully implemented in July's update .

In addition, due to consideration of Polyphony Digital as a client, we were able to disclose actual situation.
Projects and work that you can disclose achievements like this time is truly a blessing to motivate the company and the staff and it is really appreciated.
We invite you to enjoy Gran Turismo SPORT at S660.

At this stage, they only help to Modeling the S660, Most of them are still with PD staff.

anyway it's good news for Gran Turismo, At least the model level of S660 still very high.

I don’t think Belgium is outlawing DLC or micro transactions but they are outlawing loot/Skinner box gambling behaviour exploits which GT Sport does use.

Im pretty sure that If i send an e-mail to “Test-aankoop”, I’m a subscriber there, the company that got the Ball rolling against the lootboxes system, about what PD just did with the introduction of these microtransactions to buy cars ingame which you can get for free with the daily mileage or by playing the game itself (campaign,missions,etc...) they would sue PD for ripping off people and they’d win the lawsuit without a doubt.

Good thing I don’t care if other people want to waste their money on something they’ve already paid for. You can’t make people pay twice for the same thing, maybe in your country, but not in mine.

Some countries (like China?) requires that loot boxes require a visual numeric indictor showing the percentage win chance.

I also see that on youtube that some web 'personalities' have put out videos lambasting PD for this decision. I feel like this is a part of the snowball effect to get clicks and outrage culture.

I remember back in Forza 4 you could buy cars with earned game credits or tokens bought with real money in a very similar mechanic to GT Sport.

No one seemed to care back then.

You can say what you want but it’s criminal to make people pay twice for one product when said product stays in the possession of the same person, it doesn’t even matter if the owner in question chooses to pay again as you mention, it’s criminal

No body is making anybody to pay twice. Get your facts straigth.

I don’t mind paying for DLC, I do mind developers introducing microtransactions to trick lazy people and people that lack time to play into paying more than once for exactly the same product

Where is the trick part of this MT? You get what you pay, and you play what you get.
It's an option that can save my time. Example: If it takes an hour to earn 2 mil credits playing the game the way I want to, and my hour costs, let's say10 dollars. If I pay PD 5 dollars for a car that costs 2 million credits, then I saved my time, and money.

Like I said, this is a good way to implement MT. There is no loot box element, and there is no pay to win element what so ever.

Funny how people still defend microtransactions. :lol::yuck:
K
Again, let me reiterate: Kaz lied. He went up to fans and customers, said that there wouldn't be microtransactions. Now we are at this point. If you cannot see why that this entire crux of the argument, AKA what this thread has been about for the ten pages it has been up, is what is being talked about, then I really don't know what to say except that it's absolutely sad.

The fact that I have 'complained' about GT in the past is irrelevant to the discussion being had, and really goes to show that this debate, as it pertains to Forza and GT, is incredibly tribalistic, and more often then not, having one side bash the other, yet staying suspiciously and hypocritically silent when the other does the exact same thing.
Kaz straight up lie. Come off it. It was a year later. He may have not wanted them , he may have thought they were not going to be a part. Things change. This means nothing. This is about human psychology and people being mad. So what some random person decided they would pay a little extra to get what they want. Games are fun but can be grinds and time sinks. Of you have what you want good for you. Some who started the game more recently may want a way to catch up with their car collection. I want pd to do well and keep giving us these updates. If a few people want to pony up some cash so be it.

I wonder how much content I have lost from games that I didn't finshed... eh

losing intereste is in such a lame gripe.

I like this MT stuff. I'm gonna by $10 worth to help support PD and future development of GTS.

But Spa better be in the next update!
They went fantasy this time so rl next time?

Last edited by a moderator:
Im pretty sure that If i send an e-mail to “Test-aankoop”, I’m a subscriber there, the company that got the Ball rolling against the lootboxes system, about what PD just did with the introduction of these microtransactions to buy cars ingame which you can get for free with the daily mileage or by playing the game itself (campaign,missions,etc...) they would sue PD for ripping off people and they’d win the lawsuit without a doubt.

Good thing I don’t care if other people want to waste their money on something they’ve already paid for. You can’t make people pay twice for the same thing, maybe in your country, but not in mine.

You will have to explain how they are ripping of any players and making them pay twice for anything. Make the argument here before you mail the awesome guys that got rid of gambling..

And remember that there is literally hundreds of games that does the same, on sale in belgium and doing a much greeder job.

Looking forward to your answer to your claim!

Lol it's just as easy as sending an email. Right.

And "getting the ball rolling" is not the same thing as something which has passed into law so you're changing your whole story.

Last edited:
I have to say it’s an entertaining notion that you can sue a video game for optional micro transaction purchases and win. You do realize a lot of games these days have some hidden clauses drawn up by top notch lawyers that basically allow them to retain all rights & content to the game.

I think if you are really willing to try and get PD sued for this, then you really need to get a life.

Not that you have a case here, since there are no loot boxes.

Last edited:
Nope.

Up until late last year, the legal classification of gambling required three things:
1. Input of real-world currency
2. Game of chance
3. "Cashing out" of real-world currency

I spoke directly to Video Standards Council Rating Board, the UK body that consults on PEGI classifications, and that was their distinction according to advice from the UK Gambling Commission. However, Gambling Watch UK - an independent body that monitors the expansion of gambling in the UK - considers it a grey area and while not the legal definition, it would consider anything that involved just the first two steps as gambling.

This seems to be the basis of the change of attitude in Belgium and the Netherlands, and those countries now class anything that involves the input of real-world currency on a game of chance - whatever the prize, whether you always get a prize or not, and whether virtual or not - to be gambling and thus illegal to allow children to participate. This may become adopted across Europe as the standard.

GT Sport's car carousel isn't gambling, for two reasons. There's no money involved and... there's no game of chance. It's predetermined.

If you don't believe me, let one run, then Close Application when it picks the car but before it saves. Start the game up, it'll repeat and the same four cars appear (in a different order, more often than not) and you'll win the same car. Keep doing that as long as you want.

they would sue PD for ripping off people and they’d win the lawsuit without a doubt
Yeah, no.

Last edited:
... what PD just did with the introduction of these microtransactions to buy cars ingame which you can get for free with the daily mileage or by playing the game itself (campaign,missions,etc...) ...

It’s not for free though. You need to spend time playing the game, so there is an opportunity cost.

Back