Microtransactions Have Arrived in Gran Turismo Sport

It's the GTPlanet Facebook and Twitter, which is the only gaming social media accounts I look at.

But if you look at my original post, I didn't specify GTPlanet, but rather the player base in general. However, looking through the thread it seems like several members are unhappy with the addition of loot boxes.

And of course, there was this eight-page discussion with more than a few people voicing their displeasure at the mere mention of MTs coming to FM7 (which didn't end up happening).

It shows the power of miscommunication, however — and bad press. There are people in this very thread that are referencing lootboxes in FM7 (which never had real-world money tied to them, never contained exclusive content, and were completely optional in-game for the purposes of collecting cars), or MTs (which never did arrive either, and Turn 10 recently announced won't be coming to FH4). Our Facebook page still has similar comments about Forza, nearly a year after release.

For example:

There's a big difference between spending a few bucks for cars then whatever the hell Turn10 were doing in FM7... I'm still unclear how the stuff works in FM7 but I actively avoided them.

There is a difference: it's always been impossible to spend real-world cash to gain access to a car in FM7 instead of credits.

FM7 prize crates let users spend credits on things like cars, suits, and Mods. Cars are no longer a part of that, and Mods always result in more won credits than what the pack of them cost. It’s very cyclical in nature — spend credits to earn credits — but on the base level, isn’t terribly far removed from the Xbow grind in GT Sport. You spend a little (Mileage points) to make the car more tunable, then challenge yourself with a harder and harder situation to earn max credits.

Weirdly enough, with GTS and FM7, there's two reversed stances; one dev announced MT plans prior to release and walked that back, the other announced no MT plans prior to release and walked that back.

What? Lootboxes is something you buy for real money, what you are talking about has been in games since forever. #fakenews

Weirdly enough, by that definition, FM7 wouldn’t have them at all!

I’m not too bothered about the inclusion, considering how it’s been implemented (though the about-face is surprising). But that’s always been my stance; MTs can be fine if they don’t negatively impact the game’s ecosystem. If people want to spend money to instantly access content (but which offers no inherent advantage over other players), so be it; it’s not terribly different from the days of GameShark.

What’s interesting is watching people rally against similarly innocuous MT systems in other games, only to give it a pass here. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

I'm OK with this. Especially since I won't be spending more money on the one game I was spending on for quite some time (hopefully). Will certainly take it for all the cars in the millions that I can get. And means I can focus on actually doing stuff for the sake of getting the most expensive stuff. Unless I just end up rolling it in a prize spin instead.

I know these MTs are optional but, to see PDI make use of them instead of being loyal in not using them, just disappointed me greatly, and I that have yet to get a PS4 and GTSport because I'm a poor man.

As Forza 7 will be getting lootboxes removed, believe me, Forza players will now have something else to bash at GT players/fanboys for this new matter.

They designed the game, balanced it, they have complete control over the rate at which players receive resources. This was a business decision, one that does not need to be rationalized by fans who want to make this feel less icky.

I honestly do not see problems with this, i do not like to be treated like children and i will not treat other people as such, let people use their money any way they want, and use their free time with other activities or with the family, it would only be a problem if we did not have a reasonable way to get the cars using the game's own system, which is not the case, but there's a downside for lying and changing the rules in the middle of the game.

@GT6mebe What was that you say about games that have microtransactions?

Capped at 2 million and economy has stayed the same.....basically this means very little.
Funny, even in other games where microtransactions are literally non-existent, you push it as an issue for them. It means little here, but it's a major issue for some other Major title - Why?

Considering the amount of free DLC we have gotten I don't even mind
I agree, they made a very logical choice with that, considering the relatively small list at launch. Good on them.

I'm very interested to see how you're going to try to spin this :lol:

Last edited:
people are making a mountain out of a molehill as per usual, they had them in GT6 and i never once felt i had to buy them but they can't keep giving things away for free that's not good for them in the long run, even with all the sponsorship deals they have going on

I just checked ps store via website and yeah there is no car items that priced above 2.000.000 credits on the store, which is pointless. They should make microtransactions available for cars priced 2.000.000 above or at least Gr.3 and above. Stock cars are cheap.

===

Thread summary:

Microtransactions in other games: bad

Microtransactions in GTS: justified

People just dont bother to do analysis of the microtransaction type/business model. As far as I understand there is no change to the game economy (before mtx exist the economy is already scarce for me as I never reach over 3.000.000 credit since day 1 release) and the mtx provided are only timesaver to get certain cars.

If there is mtx, it is auto judged as bad game, an it is common since (unproved accusation towards) swbf2 case.

I personally going to work over my freelance job rather than grinding for a lot of in-game money. Even value of 10 cars are nothing compared to my side job. But I also respect people who have a lot of time to just play the game.

I expect some people thinks I am supporting microtransaton aka greedy, but thats not the point.

Balancing microtransaction is an art.

They are not micro transactions... they are choices.
You can still use in game credit to buy them... or real world cash... that is a choice.
No one is forcing your hand.

For all those against pay for content (vs grinding, sense either option is available), come talk to me when you're over 50 years old, have a real professional job that takes on average 10-12 hours a day, plus some weekends, have a wife that you do not want to divorce you, have a home/yard to care for, have hobbies that involve the real world and actual human face to face interactions...
Then tell me grinding for 10hrs (matter of fact, grinding for any length of time) makes any sense in that world whatsoever.
Life is already a frigging grind...
The game is meant to be fun... fun for me may not be fun for you, and vice-versa.
I can easily drop $200 on a meal out with my wife (decent restaurant, couple adult beverages, uber there and back...)... a few bux in game to avoid wasting 10hrs over and over and over and over again... ?
Yes, to me, worth it.
If it is not to you, then grind away.
Your choice.

Now, where do I send my real world money to obtain the Miura and 250GTO?

Let me know when said games provided 6 months/packs of free dlc :lol:
So that's all there is to it now? I guess you've finally accepted that the vast majority of claims you've made against another game have all been just about wrong :lol: It's a bit embarrassing really, that you can't even be humble about how wrong you've been with so many aspects, especially now that just about all the claims you've made against other games, are all happening to GT. It's funny to see how that turned out.

However, when Forza was having such an issue with lack of content, they actually gave away a ton of free cars AND tracks(it was somewhere around 20+ free vehicles and at least 2 tracks I believe.) That's exactly where GT is now, so it makes sense that they'd make the same choice.

Last edited:
Not perfect, but still, better this than locking stuff behind lootboxes. Seriously, 🤬 every game developer who does this 🤬.

Even worse when said boxes can only be acquired using real money.

At least you can buy the cars with in-game credits, and even if you decide to use real money, you'll know what you are getting.

Not perfect, but still, better this than locking stuff behind lootboxes. Seriously, 🤬 every game developer who does this 🤬.

Even worse when said boxes can only be acquired using real money.

At least you can buy the cars with in-game credits, and even if you decide to use real money, you'll know what you are getting.
Who does that? (besides the obvious EA debacle.)

I do not mind the MT method for PD. The problem is that a PD lied. In August he said he would not add the MT, and a year later added.

Because of that, I think GTS did not sell what was expected by SONY. So the initial plans changed. They decided to put MT.

The GT franchise has sold more than 20 million units in each playstation generation. Each generation had two to three games, including prologues.

In the PS4 generation, there was only one franchise game: GTS. And this version only sold about 4 million. At the end of the generation, it must sell a total of 5 million, being very optimistic. This is a problem when it comes to franchise sales in every generation.

PDI missed the excessive delay to launch GTS. And when it launched, the game presented serious problems that displeased the fan base, as always online, weak cast of racetracks and cars.

PDI is chasing extra revenue. Because? Because GTS does not sell anymore! Promotions are commonplace in the game. The sales potential of GTS has already been achieved!

I said months ago: It does not make sense for PDI to continue spending resources and time in a game that financially does not bring you a return. GTS was a gamble! And this bet failed!

So, I think GT7 will appear in 2019. It will be the same GTS game, however, with additions to classic and real racetracks. But with gamedesign single player similar to the GT6 and with much more content. The online will continue.

Sony has a goal. The PDI can not only launch ONE GAME in this generation. The PDI can not sell only 5 million copies, when in the last three generations it sold 20 million in each. That's a lot of difference!

Kaz has already spoken twice this year that is already working on the new GT. Why did he say that? I feel that they have not been satisfied with GTS, and have changed their plans to turn GTS into Raceroom of PS4 for the return to the traditional game. However, with GT7 adding the online GTS system.
Sony has a goal. The PDI can not only launch ONE GAME in this generation. The PDI can not sell only 5 million copies, when in the last three generations it sold 20 million in each. That's a lot of difference!

Not being intrusive does not mean an excuse for a free pass on MTs in $60 games. People that let MTs slide because they think it doesn't affect them are part of the problem and contribute to their increased normalization in games, whilst the 0.05% of whales that continue to dump loads of money into MTs give the publishers an ample excuse to keep doing it.

If GTS had been Free-to-Play, then there could have been some leeway.

With respect, you are boiling the argument down to a very simple level. Anyone who buys an MT is bad, those who don't are the crusaders of video games? Paid and free content is a simple bi-product of the demand for games as a service and to have more content & support after release, a move away from the old days when a game was released and that was your lot. I know which model I prefer.

While there is the odd example of a greedy publisher or hiving off content to monetise it's not remotely as widespread as some would suggest. In GT Sport, for example, why was a load of content free? Why not monetise from day one? Plenty of other titles have done just that.

Finally, and the main reason I disagree with your statement, is games vary hugely with how much they cost to make, how much they cost to maintain, how big the team is and other considerations such as licenses and level. By your inference, therefore, all games should be the same £50 they always have been? Regardless of production cost but you'd still like more content after launch and on-going support for the online side of things (even though that was never a consideration 15-20 years ago. It's like saying beer should be the same cost regardless of whether it is in a small can or a big barrel.

Of course, they can't price games relative to their production cost because some gamers would be up in arms about that so what solution would you suggest? No more content after launch? A separate charge for online play? (and no PS+ isn't the same thing as all of that goes to Sony because, well, there's an infrastructure to maintain too) Or back to the 'good ol' days when' what you got was in the box, broken or not?

I respect the point that some publishers have exploited MT's and DLC but I can't agree PD is in the same camp, or many other racing games for that matter.

Who does that? (besides the obvious EA debacle.)

Ubisoft does. Example: They recently added Rainbow Six characters to Ghost Recon Wildlands. The only way to get them is through lootboxes.

I'd love to play as Ela (the girl in my avatar), but I can't support stuff like this.

Ubisoft does. Example: They recently added Rainbow Six characters to Ghost Recon Wildlands. The only way to get them is through lootboxes.

I'd love to play as Ela (the girl in my avatar), but I can't support stuff like this.
Having barely gotten back into that game, I didn't realize that the content was only restricted to the loot boxes. That's a bit unfortunate as I barely started dabbling with the PVP aspect of the game.

So that's all there is to it now? I guess you've finally accepted that the vast majority of claims you've made against another game have all been just about wrong :lol: It's a bit embarrassing really, that you can't even be humble about how wrong you've been with so many aspects, especially now that just about all the claims you've made against other games, are all happening to GT. It's funny to see how that turned out.

However, when Forza was having such an issue with lack of content, they actually gave away a ton of free cars AND tracks(it was somewhere around 20+ free vehicles and at least 2 tracks I believe.) That's exactly where GT is now, so it makes sense that they'd make the same choice.

Thats a needlessly long post to beat around the bush and admit no other game like that has had so much free DLC :lol:

Thats a needlessly long post to beat around the bush and admit no other game like that has had so much free DLC :lol:
That's a long post? It was 4-5 sentences with one question as well. What exactly was long about that? You've wrote paragraphs about blatant lies and hypocrisy, but this is all of a sudden "needlessly long?" Oh man you're a good at bull ****, i give you that :lol:

I'm not arguing that it has a lot of free DLC, just saying that it's not the only game that has offered a large amount of DLC when it was relatively low on content. That should be easy to recognize for anyone that actually has eyes and understands what's being read.

You've wrote paragraphs about blatant lies and hypocrisy, but this is all of a sudden "needlessly long?" Oh man you're a good at bull ****, i give you that

you should look up what the word needlessly means

I'm not arguing that it has a lot of free DLC, just saying that it's not the only game that has offered a large amount of DLC.

lmao what a copout
Like I said let me know when such games have given 6 months of free DLC packs :lol:

you should look up what the word needlessly means

lmao what a copoutLike I said let me know when such games have given 6 months of free DLC packs :lol:
And like I said, you've wrote needless paragraphs of things that aren't even true, but all of a sudden this is too much for you?

Cop out? Forza gave an equivalent of pretty much 5-6 months of free DLC, as well as tracks on top of that, when they were severely lacking in content like GT currently is. That you choose not to understand that, for whatever reason, is beyond me.

It's like you have a hard time understanding any facts, and choose to use misinformed opinions as if they represent what's actually going on.

The only copout going on here is you trying to avoid every comment that you've made about other games. It seems that anything relevant that you have to add is just dwindling into nothing, as you've no more false, and misrepresented information to put forth anymore since the game of your choosing is now doing all of those bad things you've made into mountains for other games.

Agreed, if this means more free cars and tracks in the future, by all means it’s fine.
Rockstar's entire DLC for GTA 5 has been because of this; the Shark Cards pay for new content.

And yet there's already posts in this thread mentioning how they don't want PD to mimic Rockstar.

Back