Mid May and not even a hint of an update?

I was thinking this same thing tonite when driving my '14 Vette. 😡
Its a shame isnt it. I think the Norsdschleife has silly restrictions on car type too with its limited amount of races. I would love it if they would just make open races restricted by pp. Forza Motorsport 7 had an open championship at the end of each series and it was great fun to go back and re-do with all of your cars.

I'm baffled that Music Rally is so limited. You should be able to pick any track, any car, any song and just go for it. There should be an infinite playlist mode so that you can just keep going through lots of songs. There should be an infinite track mode so that you do one lap of a track and then at the start/finish line there's a portal that runs you straight onto the next track. There should be a mode where the music keeps getting faster and faster until you run out of time. There should be an online knockout mode. There should be challenges with extra obstacles on the track, or car swapping, or stop/start zones.

There's so many things you can do with the idea, and they did the bare minimum. It's sad to see a new(ish) idea and the developers don't even try to explore the interesting and fun things that could be done with it.
Hey mate there should not be any Music Rally events in any Gran Turismo games, because it's a dumb and stupid idea. The blunderhead who made this game is defiantly smoking some sort of weed to introduce Music Rally event.

Its a shame isnt it. I think the Norsdschleife has silly restrictions on car type too with its limited amount of races.
Make a Gr.3 custom race or whatever car you like the way you like it.

Last night, I did a custom race on Dragon Seaside. Gr.3 cars, 25 laps, no weather change. I was on RH tires with the Jaguar Gr.3 no assistance except ABS. No fuel consumption training for circute experience. I started 10th and I finished 1st about a 1sec ahead of the 2nd. Though, I did 3-4 mistakes learning to be fast on the track, the AI are fast enough and challenging.

If AI can't challenge you, go on Daily's or find a fast lobby with clean racing.

Last edited:
CBH
Collecting cars in a racing game is BS and they should be available to buy at the dealership
Allow me to introduce you to Gran Turismo 1, Gran Turismo 2, Gran Turismo 3, Gran Turismo 4, Gran Turismo 5, Gran Turismo 6, and Gran Turismo Sport, all of which had cars that you could not acquire through the dealership. Must be 25 years of "BS" for you.
CBH
A real driving simulator game should not have garbage in it, and it should be about racing and racing only.
Allow me to introduce you to Gran Turismo 1, Gran Turismo 2, Gran Turismo 3, Gran Turismo 4, Gran Turismo 5, Gran Turismo 6, and Gran Turismo Sport, all of which had things you could do other than "racing and racing only". Must be 25 years of "garbage" for you.
CBH
So I think it's really time for Kaz to go a rehab centre for a while so he can get all the help he needs, so he can get better and to go back and make traditional type numbered game again, rather than adding crap in GT7 that means nothing to a racing game.
CBH
Hey mate there should not be any Music Rally events in any Gran Turismo games, because it's a dumb and stupid idea. The blunderhead who made this game is defiantly smoking some sort of weed to introduce Music Rally event.
That's a weird obsession with illicit substances you have there (also, unless you mean he's sat there toking a blunt wearing a "**** DA KEISATSU" shirt, it's "definitely"; "defiantly" means "with an air of defiance"). A guy does things you wouldn't do, therefore he's on illegal drugs (you know, since weed is still illegal for all uses in Japan). Smells a bit like projection...

Are you having some kind of competition to see who can post the most bizarre, insane comments? If you are, you're winning.

Last edited:
Yup, makes no sense. You can't drive to a beat, unless you tap the throttle pedal to match it, in which case you'll soon run out of time whilst also looking ridiculous.
Well, no, you can't exactly drive to the beat. I do, however, have fond memories of nights many years ago spent tearing around the winding backroads of the San Francisco East Bay hills listening to "Radar Love" and the song getting me really pumped up!

Music Rally doesn't do that.

Last edited:
I still don't get the point of the music in the music rally.

You're not driving to the beat. There's no finese to any of it. It's just a time trial with checkpoints.
Right. And a time trial with checkpoints is fine, including music is just a way to make it feel a little unique.

Everything doesn't have to have a functional purpose, sometimes it's fine to do something a certain way just for the aesthetics. Although I could do without the seizure inducing pulsing aesthetic.
CBH
Think what you like. I think there's nothing wrong with checkpoint based time trials - Sierra Rally was cool. Including music is a novel (and very Gran Turismo) way to go about it. It's just that as usual, Polyphony have taken a decent idea and done nothing with it.

Of all the problems with Gran Turismo, even if you count Music Rally as a problem it's pretty minor.

Right. And a time trial with checkpoints is fine, including music is just a way to make it feel a little unique.

Everything doesn't have to have a functional purpose, sometimes it's fine to do something a certain way just for the aesthetics. Although I could do without the seizure inducing pulsing aesthetic.
But PD still managed to make it unfun and boring by setting it as a time trial event where the music just became a distraction that often got in the way of trying get gold (i.e. the mechanical goal of the event). The Cobra one at Trial Mountain took me longer than the actual circuit experience.

If PD's goal was to make me hate the song and never want to hear a note of it ever again, then I suppose it's a resounding success.

I just wish, with it being a highlighted feature on the same menu level as the World Map which leads you to the rest of the game, PD actually did more to develop the music side of it where, say, you have to drive to tempo of the music by maintaining a certain average speed, sort of like a historic rally. Something different instead of just another "go as fast as you can" time trial event when we already have License Tests, Missions, and Circuit Experiences.

Last edited:
the music actively makes it harder to drive though. it made me think how much I relied on listening to the engine before shifting and revved out gears multiple times. the one on trial mountain made me laugh because it's like they really tried to make the music sync up for the first gear shift, but that's literally it

edit: you cannot change the music / car volume. in the rest of the game you can, but on the music rally you can't adjust the music. incredibly dumb

Last edited:
Well my cousin told me a couple weeks ago not to buy gt7 yet, he said he doesn't like the way the online mode is setup, and some of the one hour missions are hard for him to beat, some of the AI are expertise! So, idk what's in store for the future but PD apparently didn't do what the fans intended for them to do and that was to make the online as fun as possible, and the other modes.

I just ignore the existence of Music Rally because it doesn't add anything to the game. If they were missions than I would be more inclined to do them.

Forgive the slight thread grave digging, but
GT7 got me to buy a Series X to play Forza 7 (and 8 when it arrives).

It has a real campaign, 24 cars on track, a wealth of customization options to set up your own races (including multi-class, special victory conditions, setting the behavior for each car) and rain at Brand's Hatch! I still prefer the driving model of GT, but Forza 7 is a racing game, GT7 is not. The AI isn't out to kill you in Forza, acknowledges you on the track and is set not to be dirty by default. (you have to enable AI blocking and side swiping if you like that sort of thing) It also has 7 difficulty levels or so.

My GT7 play time is now just the daily ticket, maybe one day an engine will appear, although with each day passing I ask myself why bother... Mainly I'm waiting for the LCD to serve up the cars again I want to race (against) in custom races. But maybe I'm better off doing that in Forza with more sensible AI, more cars on track and more options for setting up races :/ Wet weather dynamics are better in GT7 though, but that's about it.

Anyway, enjoying Forza 7's campaign a lot more already than the cafe fluff.
You forgot one of the best parts about FM7: you can choose between short, medium and long races in career mode through the option menu. You can basically turn every single race in every championship into a 1h race if you feel like it.

You forgot one of the best parts about FM7: you can choose between short, medium and long races in career mode through the option menu. You can basically turn every single race in every championship into a 1h race if you feel like it.
"Extra long" generally makes races around 45 minutes but that's still a pretty good length. But then there's endurance races that are already very long on the standard length. "Extra long" really makes them live up to the "endurance" name.

I literally said any % speedrun, which only counts all league races ( and by default all licenses) NOT ENDUROS, and said I did not include mission races in GT7 or any of the optional races/ DLC races.

Don't know why you guys are going " gotcha" when I laid out the data.
But ok let's play gatcha.
The Human Comedy is 8 hours alone.
Mission races are about 4 hours, I did not include them because there is no speed run that includes them.
All the Circuit experience races combined are a little under 3 and a half hours if you manage to get bronze on all of them . There are 43 of them, I won't even include the sectors, just the one lap alone.

The DLC races add in over 5 hours of content unless you tomahawk it and then it adds in around just under 3 hours ( but no speed running is allowed so lets default to 6 hours)

Chili pepper races , another 3 hours minimum, the Gr 3 at Daytona is almost 45 mins alone.

The GT7 time includes The Cafe + license test ONLY and does not include any WTC races, chili races, or rally challenge races.

Also Speedrunning in Gramturismo is not the same as speed running Elden ring, that is a moronic thing to say . No one is skipping 95% of the game in GranTurismo, It's being played as intended.
GT 7 has more endurance races than GT1-3 as of today as well .

But yes let's compare GT7 to GT4, which divides the game up x 3 by region, clone copy-paste events.
GT 1-6 don't allow you to make your own endurance races ( i can make 24-hour endurance races on over 90 layouts in gt7).
But you know, polyphony has to make a special box or it's not content.

I literally said any % speedrun, which only counts all league races ( and by default all licenses) NOT ENDUROS, and said I did not include mission races in GT7 or any of the optional races/ DLC races.

Mission races are about 4 hours, I did not include them because there is no speed run that includes them.
All the Circuit experience races combined are a little under 3 and a half hours if you manage to get bronze on all of them . There are 43 of them, I won't even include the sectors, just the one lap alone.

The DLC races add in over 5 hours of content unless you tomahawk it and then it adds in around just under 3 hours ( but no speed running is allowed so lets default to 6 hours)

Chili pepper races , another 3 hours minimum, the Gr 3 at Daytona is almost 45 mins alone.

The GT7 time includes The Cafe + license test ONLY and does not include any WTC races, chili races, or rally challenge races.

Also Speedrunning in Gramturismo is not the same as speed running Elden ring, that is a moronic thing to say . No one is skipping 95% of the game in GranTurismo, It's being played as intended.

But yes let's compare GT7 to GT4, which divides the game up x 3 by region, clone copy-paste events.
GT 1-6 don't allow you to make your own endurance races ( i can make 24-hour endurance races on over 90 layouts in gt7).
I'm not sure why you are having such a hard time accepting the fact that this Gran Turismo, especially for a numbered entry, has the least amount of Single Player content. Hell, even the online focused GT Sport has more.

GT has never been about 'making your own'. Sure, you can do it and that's awesome. But I feel that GT has always been about the GT Mode with tonnes of races, the rags to riches campaign. Ticking off the plethora of races, championships, missions, licenses.

Sure GT7 has the missions and licenses (you don't even need the IA or S.. WTF is up with that?), but the races and championships are severely lacking.

But PD still managed to make it unfun and boring by setting it as a time trial event where the music just became a distraction that often got in the way of trying get gold (i.e. the mechanical goal of the event).
Oh absolutely. That's just Polyphony doing it's thing. Taking a decent idea, then implementing it poorly and with little concern for actually refining it so that it can be as fun as possible. There's any number of examples of this, particularly in the online era.

Like many things in GT7, I like the idea but not the specific implementation. This is another one of those things. Checkpoint time trials are fine. Having it be the beat of music instead of a timer is fine. But that they left it at that is boring when there's so many other things they could have done with it, which is why made the post you originally replied to.
I'm baffled that Music Rally is so limited. You should be able to pick any track, any car, any song and just go for it. There should be an infinite playlist mode so that you can just keep going through lots of songs. There should be an infinite track mode so that you do one lap of a track and then at the start/finish line there's a portal that runs you straight onto the next track. There should be a mode where the music keeps getting faster and faster until you run out of time. There should be an online knockout mode. There should be challenges with extra obstacles on the track, or car swapping, or stop/start zones.

There's so many things you can do with the idea, and they did the bare minimum. It's sad to see a new(ish) idea and the developers don't even try to explore the interesting and fun things that could be done with it.
You can add to that stuff that would tie the driving to the music if you wanted, although I'm not quite sure how that would work mechanically.

Personally, I still enjoy Zone Mode in Wipeout HD. The "driving" is technically unrelated to the music still, but the way the music combines with the visuals is very pleasing.

I just ignore the existence of Music Rally because it doesn't add anything to the game. If they were missions than I would be more inclined to do them.
Who even thought of the idea of Music rally in the first place? That's boring in a way! My friends think so too.

No, now you're moving the goalposts. What you said was that it was, and I quote, "all races.." This was just factually incorrect.

As I posted, GT7 is the most barebones in terms of races and racing content of every main GT barring GT1.

You can argue you meant something else, but you actually said all races, and that is wrong. You can also try to start throwing missions etc. In, but again, moving the goalposts. GT7 as it is, is the most bare GT since GT1 when it comes to races

As for skipping 95%, no one claimed that. However, in GT2 you do only have to complete 9 events to speedrun it. That's skipping over 91% of them. So once again, you're wrong.

Last edited:
No, now you're moving the goalposts. What.you said was that it was, and I quote, "all races.." This was just factually incorrect.

As I posted, GT7 is the most barebones in terms of races and racing content of every main GT barring GT1.

You can argue you meant something else, but you actually said all races, and that is wrong. You can also try to start throwing missions etc. In, but again, moving the goalposts. GT7 as it is, is the most bare GT since GT1 when it comes to races

As for skipping 95%, in GT2 you only have to complete 11 events to speedrun it. 9. That's skipping over 91% of them. So io nce again, you're wrong.
It's like he was saying that we don't know what we're talking about, we know what goes on in GT. And sometimes the AI are just chaotic like they own the track and can do a lap 5-10 seconds below the average player.

Yet Gran Turismo 4 had 3 24hr races, an 8hr, 9hr, I think the longest lap ones take around 6-12 hours each depending but which those 3 24hr races alone I’m fairly sure take longer than the WHOLE content of Gran Turismo 7…

Also making “endurance” events aren’t part of the content progression - that’s an option you want to make for your experience but not everyone else will be doing the same as such.

Last edited:
GT1
GT2
GT3
GT4

All games that had NO updates after the initial release (unless you count the re-release for GT2 due to the percentage issue). And they were all games that gave me hours and hours of fun.

I'm not one that looks for updates every other month or so. Just give me a fun game and I'll play it. What happened to that? What happened to just playing a game and having fun? Completing GT7 (Cafe menu, Circuit Experiences, Missions, all other races/championships) takes/took a hell of a lot longer to complete than either of the previously mentioned games. So what is it? Is it impatience? Is the whole "they have a huge dev team so why can't they churn out new cars and new races every month or so?"

I'm just happy they keep making the games.

Learn some patience, guys. They'll release more content in due time. They're not actively trying to send their latest version to an early grave. Sony and Polyphony are both multi-million (billion?) dollar companies. Companies like that aren't really known for doing dumb things to piss off their main customer base.
GT7 is longer than GT4 ? fanboy bro ?

Yes but they are extremely familiar with the game. They are doing every license test first try, they know which cars to buy to make sure races are only tried once, they move through the menus as fast as possible, and they've done this over and over and over to get down to the best time over years. It is not representative of someone just casually playing the game fresh, GT7 played in the same way would be a lot faster as well.

The 2hr30 GT2 speedrun does exactly that, all license tests done in just over 30 minutes. Looking at Speedrun.com the current record for GT7 is 38 minutes, but it's the sole entry. I'd bet that could be down to 30 minutes or close to it after 20 years of working on it by several people.

The record for cafe mode is 8hr 44min but a large chunk of that is sitting through all the menus and dialog, something the other games didn't have. Also again, that is just one time so far. No competition bringing it down after 20 years. Even so, that means licenses + required races is done in under 10 hours.

But we're not talking about "any%", we're talking about how much total content each game has. Nobody judges a games content based on how quickly you can get to the end skipping over anything not required.

GT4 100% is 230 hours. There isn't one submitted for GT7 yet but...

Licenses 30 minutes
Cafe ~ 9 hours
Extra races ~ 3 hours
Championships ~ 3 hours
Missions you say ~ 4 hours
Human Comedy ~ 8 hours
Circuit Experience ~ 3 hours

Total = ~30 hours. Even if you allow another 3 hours for Circuit Experience sectors we're just a little short of the 230 hours, aren't we?

Allow me to introduce you to Gran Turismo 1, Gran Turismo 2, Gran Turismo 3, Gran Turismo 4, Gran Turismo 5, Gran Turismo 6, and Gran Turismo Sport, all of which had cars that you could not acquire through the dealership. Must be 25 years of "BS" for you.

Allow me to introduce you to Gran Turismo 1, Gran Turismo 2, Gran Turismo 3, Gran Turismo 4, Gran Turismo 5, Gran Turismo 6, and Gran Turismo Sport, all of which had things you could do other than "racing and racing only". Must be 25 years of "garbage" for you.

That's a weird obsession with illicit substances you have there (also, unless you mean he's sat there toking a blunt wearing a "**** DA KEISATSU" shirt, it's "definitely"; "defiantly" means "with an air of defiance"). A guy does things you wouldn't do, therefore he's on illegal drugs (you know, since weed is still illegal for all uses in Japan). Smells a bit like projection...

Are you having some kind of competition to see who can post the most bizarre, insane comments? If you are, you're winning.
CBH has many valid points. It's not insane at all.

CBH has many valid points.
Not in the post I quoted, wherein he decides that, because he doesn't like a thing, the thing is "garbage" and has no place in a racing game which should be just about racing and nothing else (like no GT game has ever been) and the person who made the thing (and all other GT games) is a criminal drug user.

I'm not particularly a fan of Music Rally either. I find it a bit weird, more because it's placed directly alongside "GT7" as one of the main two hubs of the game when you boot it up and you can't even play "GT7" until you've completed at least one Music Rally. Regardless of that, it's literally a checkpoint time trial with forced music and audio balance in favour of that music and away from car and environmental sounds; you finish when your time runs out (with checkpoints increasing your time allocation up to a pre-set end point) and are scored on how far you got.

However I'm not the sole arbiter of taste, nor am I gatekeeper for the entire concept of what racing games should be, and my antipathy towards it doesn't result in my levelling accusations of criminality and substance abuse. To do so would be bizarre and insane.

I find it a bit weird, more because it's placed directly alongside "GT7" as one of the main two hubs of the game when you boot it up and you can't even play "GT7" until you've completed at least one Music Rally.
This is what is also so weird about Music Rally - what makes it so unique that it needs to be it's own separate thing, beside the main portion of the game in the initial start up menu, when it could have easily been it's own category within the Driving Missions?

In my opinion, Music Rally is for new players.

If a friend comes over, sees my wheel and says they want to try it, they can play Music Rally for a bit. They have fun and get into it.

In older GT games, I tried to set up really easy things for them to try but it's always confusing to new players. They always said, "I don't get it".

In my opinion, Music Rally is for new players.

If a friend comes over, sees my wheel and says they want to try it, they can play Music Rally for a bit. They have fun and get into it.

In older GT games, I tried to set up really easy things for them to try but it's always confusing to new players. They always said, "I don't get it".
It's just a terribly executed idea. The music 100% over powers the sound of the car. And the songs beat has nothing to do with the track your racing on. It's just an awkward experience.

This is what I look like playing music rally in my Fanatec setup. I can't help but laugh every time I try it.
fokbCC.gif

Right now I’m most surprised how the in-game news feed hasn’t been updated since April 25, as it’s greeting players at every startup. That’s a very long time for a major first-party title which launched a little more than two months ago, not to mention in a strikingly unfinished state after all the hype generated by their 25th anniversary fanfare. PD have really mastered the craft of playing dead, and seemingly without realizing how strange it comes across to everyone outside their own little bubble.

Back