Minecraft News and Discussion

• Thread starter WallRunner
  • 14,002 comments
I heard Minecraft is available for the PS3, is it worth getting?
It is equal version 1.2.3 for PC, that's from march 2012.
Smaller maps, much less content, no custom servers, no mods, no texpacks, etc.

PC version is superior by far, but if you have some friends playing MC on PS3 and want to join them, it surely is a good game. I personally couldn't play it without mods and bukkit servers though.

Your decision, it's a great game anyway.

EDIT: I heard a demo version is available on PS3, try that one first.

There is a demo, Which is the tutorial map that you can play, which is unlimited time but cannot save. Overall it's okay, just waiting for them to do more.

There is a demo, Which is the tutorial map that you can play, which is unlimited time but cannot save. Overall it's okay, just waiting for them to do more.
The demo isn't unlimited. I've played it for 45 minutes before it sent me back to the main menu.

As far for the full game itself, it's a pretty good game.

The demo isn't unlimited. I've played it for 45 minutes before it sent me back to the main menu.

As far for the full game itself, it's a pretty good game.

I was playing for an hour plus before buying the game.

According to the site the demo should last 110 minutes.

Last edited:
I don't have a PC capable of doing anything. It even has trouble playing YouTube videos. I might get this for the PS3. I'll try the demo tonight.

I bought this game last night. I used up my remaining PSN credits along with some PayPal funds I added to my PSN wallet to buy this game. I am playing in Creative Mode. Not ready to take on the Survival Mode in this game yet. Coolest thing I've done so far was create my first Golem- an Iron Golem, of course. Liking the experience here.

I think I just encountered my first jackass on Minecraft. Some guy entered my Minecraft world. Thought he was a cool guy and all. I turn away to put some stuff up and go into the kitchen. When I came back to my room, I noticed a castle in my Minecraft world was blown up. Either some kind of Creeper invasion or lots of TNT got set up. Either way, my castle was destroyed. Thankfully, I had saved my world before the punk ass dude came into my world destroying the castle I had built tonight.

Yep... I got griefed. Got to be careful, Minecraft folks.

I think I just encountered my first jackass on Minecraft. Some guy entered my Minecraft world. Thought he was a cool guy and all. I turn away to put some stuff up and go into the kitchen. When I came back to my room, I noticed a castle in my Minecraft world was blown up. Either some kind of Creeper invasion or lots of TNT got set up. Either way, my castle was destroyed. Thankfully, I had saved my world before the punk ass dude came into my world destroying the castle I had built tonight.

Yep... I got griefed. Got to be careful, Minecraft folks.

Good thing that 4J actually added the "Invite Only" box, or will be herring alot of people being griefed every single day.

I just keep everything solo or invite only (Since no one on my list has the game).

Trophies shouldn't be that hard but some well are just annoying.

I just keep everything solo or invite only (Since no one on my list has the game).

Yeah, I had do that aswell. Out of 60+ friends on my list, only 2 have minecraft.

Trophies shouldn't be that hard but some well are just annoying.

I think the "Sniper Dual" trophy is the toughest on the list. You have to really know how far a skeleton is, and must kill from long distance.

I think the "Sniper Dual" trophy is the toughest on the list. You have to really know how far a skeleton is, and must kill from long distance.

That and the 500m railcart one I think are the hardest. I also found out that if you are 25m over and 25m up for the sniper dual doesn't work. :grumpy: Since I tried that on the tutorial level and it didn't pop.

I also found out that if you are 25m over and 25m up for the sniper dual doesn't work. Since I tried that on the tutorial level and it didn't pop.

I did that too on my survival map at 50 blocks up, it didn't work either. Then I placed 50 [wood] blocks down on the ground, and left the last one as a 50 blocks marker. I built another platform on top my house (only about 3 blocks above my house) only to sit and wait for skeleton to spawn. I almost manage to kill a skeleton from 50 blocks away until he fell into a hole that creeper made, and he hide there like a little ba:censored:d. :grumpy:

Most of the Trophies can be earned simply through the Tutorial. So you don't have to start from scratch to get the Trophies. I noticed this when the Demo version keeps telling me I'd earn a trophy for certain tasks I performed. Play around in Tutorial Mode to get most of the Trophies.

Coolest things I've done recently (today, really) was tame an ocelot and brew my first potion. I love cats, so taming an ocelot was very cool. I made my first Snow Golem while in the Tutorial world. I basically learned you need to illuminate certain areas VERY well, as hostile mobs can form almost anywhere.

Most of the Trophies can be earned simply through the Tutorial. So you don't have to start from scratch to get the Trophies. I noticed this when the Demo version keeps telling me I'd earn a trophy for certain tasks I performed. Play around in Tutorial Mode to get most of the Trophies.

Coolest things I've done recently (today, really) was tame an ocelot and brew my first potion. I love cats, so taming an ocelot was very cool. I made my first Snow Golem while in the Tutorial world. I basically learned you need to illuminate certain areas VERY well, as hostile mobs can form almost anywhere.

Yea most, but some of the other trophies are well just annoying, like the sniper dual and the 500m rail cart travel one, and the obvious ones like the end and nether.

Hey is it OK to talk about the mod packs in here? Sorry if it isn't but I just really wanted to shown off what I built in tekkit lite. This was all done legit with resources I mined myself(with help of a quarry) which is impressive when you consider construction of this used over 1300 copper ingots!!!. Its a breeder rector for re-enriching depleted uranium cells it has a force field to stop my base getting blown up and round the back it has a coolant injector for the LZH condensators. When I get more copper I will be replacing the dual uranium cells for quad cells.

The reactor
Breederreactor_zpsa24bf21b.jpg

Inside the core
Reactorcore_zpsc3cf3e8b.jpg

Populating my villages with Villagers in Minecraft PS3, I am finally seeing the sort of worlds I've wanted to build from my Minecraft Pocket Edition worlds. Proper villages I've created have Villagers as well as Iron Golems. These villages are more like the kind of RPG-type villages I've wanted to created. Only that these aren't certain villages with boring people that say almost the same thing. In one village, I even created a little chicken farm. This is all very cool! Time just flies by as you're trying to make things. Nothing more fun than enjoying something as time just flows by.

Hey is it OK to talk about the mod packs in here? Sorry if it isn't but I just really wanted to shown off what I built in tekkit lite. This was all done legit with resources I mined myself(with help of a quarry) which is impressive when you consider construction of this used over 1300 copper ingots!!!. Its a breeder rector for re-enriching depleted uranium cells it has a force field to stop my base getting blown up and round the back it has a coolant injector for the LZH condensators. When I get more copper I will be replacing the dual uranium cells for quad cells.

The reactor
Very nice!

Is it an equal breeder setup? Means you simply heat it up to over 9000° and then let it hold the temperature?

Back in the days when we had tekkit running on the server, I had a fully automated reactor. It was running 24/7 without needing any resources. It was connected to a uranium cell factory (which was smaller than the reactor itself) and the waste simply got burned.

Power output was 2400 EU/t (absolutely stable), which is the absolute maximum.

Was an awesome time.

Last edited:
Very nice!

Is it an equal breeder setup? Means you simply heat it up to over 9000° and then let it hold the temperature?

Back in the days when we had tekkit running on the server, I had a fully automated reactor. It was running 24/7 without needing any resources. It was connected to a uranium cell factory (which was smaller than the reactor itself) and the waste simply got burned.

Power output was 2400 EU/t (absolutely stable), which is the absolute maximum.

Was an awesome time.

Thanks not sure what you mean about it being an equal breeder setup but I can crank the heat up to over 50,000 degrees according to the information panel I put in. The reactor you had going sounds awesome so much power output. How did you get it to fill the reactor automatically? I would like mine to remove the re-enriched cells and but depleted cell back in.

EDIT: the video I watched on this said that you have to pre-cook the reactor by putting un cooled uranium in to get the heat up. Heat in the reactor doesn't go down either which is good as the heat makes the breeder faster. here is the info panel over 55,000 heat and totally safe.
reactorinfo_zpse1b6b395.jpg

Last edited:
Spawn point should be the same for everyone, although can change very small from person to person though.

Spawning underwater isn't normal but it does happen now when they changed so you don't "always" spawn on a sand block/Beach/Desert.

Ah, good to know. It was interesting starting a game in pitch black and drowning.

I've never had to deal with this much water before while playing Minecraft PE or on the Xbox. The map I'm currently
working on has the spawn point on a small island less then 50 blocks in diameter. And as far as I can tell just might be the only piece of dry land on the map. The small island has no trees, so resources are nonexistent. I've tried swimming
looking for land but so far nothing. Unless I switch to creative mode or find land with trees, this map might be a waste of time.

I think the PE/Xbox/PS versions still have the Ocean biomes that go up to 1000 blocks long...might explain it. :P

Eks
I think the PE/Xbox/PS versions still have the Ocean biomes that go up to 1000 blocks long...might explain it. :P

It does, if you get outside of the boundaries (Since I have notice ocean everywhere that is near the boundary) Just that the maps are really small I think than the xbox version. (If someone could confirm?)

Eks

Sorry.. I'm playing on the PC currently. I meant that I've played both PE and Xbox versions before.

If anyone is interested I'll post the seed info later.

Thanks not sure what you mean about it being an equal breeder setup but I can crank the heat up to over 50,000 degrees according to the information panel I put in. The reactor you had going sounds awesome so much power output. How did you get it to fill the reactor automatically? I would like mine to remove the re-enriched cells and but depleted cell back in.
I was playing tekkit before lite and classic came out. I think it's about the same as classic nowadays.
They apparently raised the temperatures, because in the version I was playing nothing could withstand more than 10'000°.

2400EU/t was possible with 54 uranium cells in it. Yes, that is a reactor only filled with uranium cells.
Cooling was done with ice, tons of ice. I think it needed about 1 stack of ice (64 blocks) every 2.5 seconds. Temperature was adjustable, so I could've used it as breeder if I wanted to.
Most important items were the MFFS Reactor Heat Control blocks (they're the cooling units that use the ice to cool the core and chambers).

I used a dispenser and pneumatic tubes to fill it with new cells that came from the uranium cell factory, which was done by using some automatic crafting tables and tons of buildcraft pipes. The empty cells got sucked out of the reactor by a retriever and then destroyed to get rid of the waste (because that would result in massive server lag).

It needed 5 parallel MFSU lines to store all the energy, because one MFSU line can only take 512 EU/t. Forcefield was powered by the reactor itself, it doesn't need that much power though.

About 3 or 4 times people tried to sabotage the reactor, but only once they managed to achieve an explosion, but even then not a single block outside the reactor got destroyed.

The key was, I only used reinforced stone blocks to secure the reactor while it was running. BUT as soon as the reactor started to explode, the forcefield automatically turned on and prevented any damage. That's why people normally failed to sabotage it.
The reason I couldn't use forcefields while it was running was because it would've cut the pneumatic tubes that were connected with the reactor.
As far as I remember it was the MFFS Heat Monitor Server that had this automatic forcefield protection function in case the reactor was in progress to explode.

EDIT: Two High Voltage Transformators were needed, because they have a limit of 2040EU/t. The glass fibre cable can transport 2400EU/t though.

Last edited:
Might be a slight spoiler

My friend and I started a brand new map last night and......he found the end portal within an hour and a half!!! Just pure insane luck. Had 1 ender pearl in the portal. We only play on survival mode so this is the fastest I have heard of anyone ever finding the end.

Hmm spoiler tag not working properly. But this I am sure is old news for most on this site.

Back