Minecraft News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by WallRunner, Oct 14, 2010.

1. WallRunner

WallRunner Premium

[/B][/COLOR]
    What is Minecraft?
    Minecraft is a sandbox game in which you build objects out of blocks in a full 3D world (Think Pixel-art, only better), the world is randomly generated and extremely fun to explore, including mountains, caves, waterfalls (lavafalls to :dopey:), beaches and even has a random chance of snow!

However, all is not peaceful in this world, along with a few types of harmless animals, such as pigs, chickens and sheep (nicknamed "mobs"), at night or in dark underground caverns reside multiple scary creatures, including zombies, skeleton archers and spiders! The focus of the game, atleast at first, is to survive the night by building a fortress and mining for materials, including iron and diamond ores to craft weapons, tools and building materials from.

If you're interested, check out http://minecraft.net, survival mode isn't free, but creative mode is, which lets you explore the world and build structures with unlimited blocks, but doesn't have enemies, a pretty day/night cycle or the dynamic lighting of "Alpha" or "Survival" mode.

If you want to buy the game (and you should), it's ~$21/€14.95, and includes access to the newest version of the game, character and world skins and survival multiplayer support.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2013
  2. Sharky.

Sharky. Premium

I considered starting a thread on Minecraft a few weeks ago. :lol: Guess you get the honours instead :p

p.s - You forgot to mention the exploding penises ;)

3. nk4e

nk4e

I keep on watching that video because its how awesome Minecraft is!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
    ukmalb and m8h3r like this.
  4. Sharky.

Sharky. Premium

His fireplace had a wooden base, that was always going to happen. Serves the guy right :D

5. WallRunner

WallRunner Premium

I figured I'd let the new players learn about those for themselves :p

That video is priceless, although it did teach me to make sure my fires are surrounded by stone, around the sides and under. I set a bunch of fires on a beach once and all the pigs kept walking into them so I'd go down every so often and collect the meat :lol:

I really want to do a SMP game though sometime soon and try to see how well we can build a city or something and fend off the attacks.

From,
    Chris.

6. nick09

nick09 (Banned)

So this is basically a very blockly(is that even a word?) sims with an survival edge to it. I'm really starting to get hyped for it after seeing some videos.

7. Sharky.

Sharky. Premium

Think a 3D version of Dwarf Fortress and you're nearly there.

8. tlowr4

tlowr4

I love this game. But I don't have the money to buy the Alpha version :(:(. And the Classic version stinks! :yuk:

COuld someone please loan me money? :lol: :p

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  9. Anes

Anes (Banned)

It looks like a PS1 game...

10. nick09

nick09 (Banned)

Ok, now I'm hooked and $15 for such a great game even at Alpha status just seems so much more worth it. Not to mention free updates and there is no DRM! What more can you ask for?

11. Sharky.

Sharky. Premium

Doesn't mean it plays like one. ;)

It's made (mostly) by one guy; what were you expecting, 360/PS3 levels of graphics?

12. Joey D

Joey D Contributing Writer

$15? Ya I bit for it. My God it's addictive and I have no idea what in the world I'm supposed to do. I just wish it would quit snowing.

13. Rykon Zero

Rykon Zero Premium

Yeah, if it snows, it never quits. Not until biomes are introduced in about two weeks.

14. Anes

Anes (Banned)

Well the usual argument from PC > console people involves graphics but basically this looks like a first person Sim City game from 1996?

I haven't played a PC game since about 2001 so maybe I'm missing something? I would really like an engineering type game with decent graphics now that I think about it.

15. WallRunner

WallRunner Premium

I think that's just the art style the developer went with, there's texture packs which can make it look prettier though, if you want.

@Joey, when it loads a snow world it's going to snow on that save, it's just randomly selected when you make a new game, I think that's going to change soon though.

If you want to play a (really old) version of Survival with enemies, you can play the old survival test mode here, but it still doesn't have most of what's included in Alpha, such as weapons, tools, pretty lighting, etc. Just a little more fun to play if you can't afford Alpha yet (I couldn't until yesterday :p)

From,
    Chris.

16. Rykon Zero

Rykon Zero Premium

Okay, so what I thought I'd do is show off my main world.

[​IMG]

This is my house. Built into the side of a mountain, and fairly creeper-proof.

[​IMG]

The Subterranean Farm Complex.This is the first floor, there's two more below it, and this thing is so ungodly profitable, I had to make this:

[​IMG]

The Mess Hall. The first five are filled with bread. It stands on the location of my First Night Hut. But of course, the game is MINEcraft, so I have a mine.

[​IMG]

It's 20 by 20, I think, and is enough to completely fill two large chests with cobblestone. It's not very profitable, oddly enough. Maybe when I get lower. And this is Mineshaft Beta, Alpha was a direct dig and pan at the bottom of the earth.

17. nk4e

nk4e

Rykon, how much time have you spent in Minecraft?

18. Rykon Zero

Rykon Zero Premium

Long time. Although, this is only the main account on the netbook, the desktop has a huge world, a massive castle, a main house with a dome and a gold block right on top, an underwater base, and a base on a floating island, the last two of which are randomly right next to each other. I also have a lock system in place so I can traverse my territory via boat. I can't be bothered to span the distance from Lake Genesis (The body of water next to my spawn point) to Lake Suzuran (huge lake) because that would take me roughly as long as making my castle.

19. UnionStrike

UnionStrike (Banned)

I'm spending my first night in minecraft, holy crap it get really dark at night even with my monitor at highest brightness, and I don't have a single torch yet, I also see some lone figure in the distance with red eyes moving around ._.

20. nick09

nick09 (Banned)

Just run for a tree and wait it out. So far I have made a small home connected to a cave, lit up some caves just so I know I visited them before, and made a 10x10 pit for two pigs and a sheep. Just doing random stuff pretty much.

21. Joey D

Joey D Contributing Writer

I'm in the process of digging and underwater tunnel from my house on one island to my castle on another island. This game is stupidly fun for something that really has no point.

22. emacs

emacs

23. Sharky.

Sharky. Premium

24. WallRunner

WallRunner Premium

Well i was going to take some screenshots of all I've built thus far (Castle, Docks, Gardens, Farm carved into a hill, underground/underwater lair with glass ceiling, etc.), and a cartographer map, but I just set fire to the roof of my castle...

From,
    Chris.

25. nick09

nick09 (Banned)

Kept on starting new worlds so I could do this:
    [​IMG]

Yes that is a house on ice. For some reason inside the ice melted so I just put some wooden blocks in place of the ice. Floor's a little slippery but it works.

26. Rykon Zero

Rykon Zero Premium

Yeah, torches will melt snow and ice.

27. Solid Lifters

Solid Lifters

Of course, I can't play this game. When I start to download it, it freezes my whole PC.

Anybody else have problems?

I have Windows 7 Home.

28. Rykon Zero

Rykon Zero Premium

Wow, no, that's not happened to me. You could always check on the forums and see if there's a similar case for someone else.

In my massive save file, I have completed the fire fence I had thought of. Doesn't keep monsters out, but it does kill them.

29. Solid Lifters

Solid Lifters

I tried a different web browser and it worked, but not well. I only get 1 frame a second. Don't need to bother with this anymore. Shame, 'cause it looked like fun.

30. Richardrfo

Richardrfo Premium

I played free online for a few days, then decided to buy it, playing an SMP over at http://mc.plugpayplay.com/ who've got a pretty solid server going, just waiting for the update where hopefully mobs are possible.