Minecraft News and Discussion

• Thread starter WallRunner
  • 14,002 comments
The latest snapshot added the Glow Squid. Not much is implemented for it, but it's pretty cool.

As for my BTE progress: Slow, but getting it done. Haven't touched my BSU builds, been more busy with my Seattle contribution. I'm working on the Lease Crutcher Lewis area. Another cool thing we are implementing is a new LIDAR system, so we can have more accurate terrain for our cities.

Last edited:
The latest snapshot added the Glow Squid. Not much is implemented for it, but it's pretty cool.

As for my BTE progress: Slow, but getting it done. Haven't touched my BSU builds, been more busy with my Seattle contribution. I'm working on the Lease Crutcher Lewis area. Another cool thing we are implementing is a new LIDAR system, so we can have more accurate terrain for our cities.
Does it drop anything?

It drops Glow Ink Sacs, which lets you add a "glowing" effect to Item Frames and Signs.

There's also a new Glow Lichen plant that grows in caves. They don't give off much light, but a cool little detail.

Last edited:
Depth? Can we go into minus numbers now or has it all been updated relative?
Max height is 320 and max depth is now -64. They also added the new Grimstone that was shown in the teaser video with the Warden that generates below zero.

You can also increase the height and depth in the game files, so you can go up to 3000 in both directions. It lags a bit if you have large numbers like that.

They're probably going to redo the mountains in future snapshots once they are done with the caves.

Last edited:
Been a while since I posted an update about 1.17, but turns out they're going to split the update in two parts. The first (with the new mobs, blocks and minor structures like Amethyst Geodes and Dripstone) coming out this summer. The next part (mainly world generation) will come out in the holiday season.

Because of this, any new snapshots will have the normal 1.16 world height and cave gen. They still need to test out the newer gen more before fully releasing it. However, they released a Data Pack which reenables them if you want.

More info and Data Pack download here:
https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article/minecraft-snapshot-21w15a

Last edited:
I have a 7-1/2 year old world that just had a large section reset itself. My world started as a PS3 world, then I updated to PS4 and I still play on Legacy Console Edition. I have had this glitch twice in the past where it reset roughly a 200x200 block section which I think happened with new updates that introduced new biomes. Legacy hasn't got any updates for a long time so I just assumed this wouldn't happen again. I have been playing at a new base for the last few months but decided to go to my castle & bring one of the horses there to my new base and that's when I found the reset section. It's quite a bummer since the area contained an older town that used to be the world spawn/starter area and had some cool buildings including the most extensive map building in my world, showing the whole 5x5 world as well as zoomed in maps of individual bases. It also had part of a giant cave system I dug out below ground and another base down there.

I had a hard drive fail on me years ago and lost about 8 months of progress at the time and ever since I save a copy of my world every time before I play, I have the last 10 or so copies on my machine and then older ones in the PS cloud storage. I tried the oldest one on my machine last night and the reset section was still there. Does anyone know if the save cache file potentially holds the glitch? Do I need to download an older version of that from the cloud to try to get back or if I still use the current save cache and just get an old enough world save file will that work? What does the save cache actually do? I don't know when exactly the glitch happened, but I hadn't been to the effected area for a few months or more so it's going to take some trial and error I think to find it, if I even can. If these glitches are irreversible than I'll just deal with it & move on but I'd really like to get that town back if possible even if it means rolling back progress on my newest base.

Any help that can be provided would be appreciated and I'm happy to give more info if needed.

I'm thinking about getting into the Data Pack stuff and making my own things.

I'll start small by making a new custom dimension with modified biomes. I'll share my progress here when I get to it.

I want to set up a Minecraft Java server for me and my friends that is on all the time so anyone can jump on and play the game whenever they are free, rather than relying on someone to turn it on whenever they want to join in.

I just want a Vanilla Minecraft Survival world. Does anyone have experience with renting servers or running them and can direct me to a place you recommend that's not expensive (if at all)?

I want to set up a Minecraft Java server for me and my friends that is on all the time so anyone can jump on and play the game whenever they are free, rather than relying on someone to turn it on whenever they want to join in.

I just want a Vanilla Minecraft Survival world. Does anyone have experience with renting servers or running them and can direct me to a place you recommend that's not expensive (if at all)?
I have a friend who used a free service which was pretty good, the only caveat was ads for the host user on their web browser. I'll ask him what it was later.

I have a friend who used a free service which was pretty good, the only caveat was ads for the host user on their web browser. I'll ask him what it was later.
I have seen "Aternos" is a place that seems to offer free servers. Is that the one? All reviews I find for it are so mixed I can't really work out if it's a good one or not.

I have seen "Aternos" is a place that seems to offer free servers. Is that the one? All reviews I find for it are so mixed I can't really work out if it's a good one or not.
Yep, it's Aternos. Of course since it's free there isn't really a risk to trying it; I haven't had problems with it but my experience is quite short.

Yep, it's Aternos. Of course since it's free there isn't really a risk to trying it; I haven't had problems with it but my experience is quite short.
I'll explore that option then and see if it's good or not. Thanks a lot for the review!

I have set up an Aternos server. Wow it was easy and it has been fantastic the past few days. 5 of us have been on the server concurrently and had no issues so far. Thanks for the pointer!

I have set up an Aternos server. Wow it was easy and it has been fantastic the past few days. 5 of us have been on the server concurrently and had no issues so far. Thanks for the pointer!
Additionally it can be used with mods so if you want to get into that it can do it.

I didn't even know I had "Minecraft: Bedrock Edition." Apparently, I had bought "Minecraft: Java Edition" long ago and just didn't install "Bedrock Edition." The Bedrock Edition of Minecraft is more tailored to Windows and seemingly has better optimization than the Java Edition. I am still trying to find a control scheme I like with my XBOX One controller. Otherwise, it's pretty cool using the Bedrock Edition of Minecraft.

In addition to this, I have also considered making mods for Minecraft. Part of the reason why I went with Bedrock Edition was for modding Minecraft. I have only ideas as this point. If more creativity starts falling into place, that may change into something very cool.

I didn't even know I had "Minecraft: Bedrock Edition." Apparently, I had bought "Minecraft: Java Edition" long ago and just didn't install "Bedrock Edition." The Bedrock Edition of Minecraft is more tailored to Windows and seemingly has better optimization than the Java Edition. I am still trying to find a control scheme I like with my XBOX One controller. Otherwise, it's pretty cool using the Bedrock Edition of Minecraft.

In addition to this, I have also considered making mods for Minecraft. Part of the reason why I went with Bedrock Edition was for modding Minecraft. I have only ideas as this point. If more creativity starts falling into place, that may change into something very cool.
Users who bought Minecraft Java prior to a certain date (not sure when) got Minecraft for Windows (Bedrock) for free as a code that could be claimed. That's how I got my copy. However, recently all players on PC got both editions no matter if they had the Bedrock or Java versions (although people who had Minecraft before this got a free cape). Bedrock is buggier than Java, but nowhere near as bad as it used to be. The optimisation is better though. For using a controller, I'd recommend using the Console Edition control scheme:
1681310867309.png

1681310883878.png

1681310897444.png

I don't like the default Bedrock controls either. As for modding, you're much better off with Java, as this is where the overwhelming majority of the modding community of Minecraft is. I'm not part of the Java cult that seems to exist; I spend most of my time in Minecraft on two long-term Bedrock worlds, but you need to use Java when you're modding.

Recently, I took advice to lower the frames per second in Java Minecraft, and it got over the glitchy nature of my monitor not catching up with the high FPS level. I toned it down from the default 144 FPS to about 60 FPS. I may invest in getting a better computer in the near future. If I get a better PC, I may get into playing Minecraft again on a maybe regular basis.

Back