Minecraft News and Discussion

• Thread starter WallRunner
  • 14,002 comments
So Minecraft and RTX.

Talk about needing high end.

Just to run 1080p without DLSS at 60 fps you will need at lease a 2080 Super or 2080 Ti.
For 1440p with a 2080 Super/Ti it's 22 fps.

CPU isn't so much of a factor just slightly lower minimum fps in some cases.

So if you want to run Minecraft RTX
On a i9-9900K or Ryzen 9 3950X
With a 2080 TI
At 4K
Will only net 22 FPS.

So I'd suggest holding off on playing Minecraft with RTX right now until some improvements can be made.

I honestly hope that Microsoft aren't going to be stupid and only release it on Xbox and PC. I don't expect a Switch port but the PS5 can easily handle it.

I honestly hope that Microsoft aren't going to be stupid and only release it on Xbox and PC. I don't expect a Switch port but the PS5 can easily handle it.

So far RTX is confirmed on Xbox next gen.
No word on PS.

Is anyone else not a fan of the Bedrock edition on consoles? Sure, unlimited worlds and crossplay are great, but there's just one thing I can't get over.

4J Studios really did a great job creating a user interface that was tailored to the console experience. It was also fast and responsive. Bedrock's interface reeks of freemium mobile game; like I'm playing a phone game with a DS4. Clearly not designed for the hardware it's running on. To add salt to the wound, the interface as a whole is slow. Sometimes it takes up to 5 seconds just to load the settings screen. In addition, opening a chest/furnace whatever incurs a delay that I don't find present at all on pre-bedrock versions. Nevermind it being a PITA to navigate the crafting/inventory screens.

It's an absolute nitpick, I know, but having to engage with the interface as often as you do in a typical run of play doesn't help.

I agree 100%. If the old edition carried on with the updates I'd use that instead. Split screen is pretty much a no go when you've hot more than about 10 entities in the area (villagers, cows, chickens etc)

I think the new UI isn't very good at all (even with a mouse and keyboard, which is what I use). I don't like the four categories since I never know where a black is as they're broader categories. If they'd made a UI based on the input device, it would be much better.

The recipe book is the better than the Java one at least...

I only discovered this last night...

Lots of very cool free content on the Minecraft Store, under the 'Minecraft Education' category.

https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article/free-educational-content-minecraft-marketplace

I don't know if this was always intended to be free, or if it will continue to be free after it has been downloaded (I assume and hope so...), but for now it is all freely available.

Free content includes Minecraft models of Mount Olympus, the International Space Station and Washington D.C., among several others.

I have joined the Build The Earth project! I'm currently in a group working on the Pacific Northwest. I'll be posting progress shots here so you can see what this is all about :)

Micron Business and Economics Building
Boise State University (Boise, ID)
micron1.png
micron2.png

Still needs work. This is what I finished over the weekend.

Center for the Visual Arts
Boise State University (Boise, Idaho)
visualart1.png
visualart2.png

This one was a bit tricky since it's a fairly new building and not a lot of reference images.

EDIT:
There's two of us working on the Boise State campus. He changed out the Obsidian for Dark Prismarine to match the texture better. I gave him permission obviously.

Last edited:
Brady Parking Garage
Boise State University (Boise, ID)
brady-1.png

This is a bit of a difficult building to do due to it being an open structure. This is what I've done yesterday, I improved the look today and I want to upload a new shot of the finished product.

What a mic drop from this year's Minecraft Live! I'm probably more hyped about the Caves and Cliffs update than the Nether update.

Haven't posted much about my BTE progress, it's been slow but I got more buildings done.

I can't wait for the cave update, glad there's gonna be some variety for some survival players and whatnot. Been playing some Hardcore Minecraft a bit too.

My school has an official survival server for our gaming major students. It took a while for me to get into the groove of Survival since I mainly play on Creative servers and theme park recreations like MCParks and Palace Network.

Yay 2020.

Another year, another holiday season!

Anyone working anything exciting? Anyone celebrate holidays in their worlds? Fireworks..etc.

Minecraft Earth is set to be axed at the end of June. The most recent update disabled microtransactions and added in "all completed, unreleased content currently in our pipeline", which is a bit of a nice gesture as they could have easily just junked that content and tried to squeeze a few last dollars out of the game.

Eq-8LZIXUAc4_sl

Unsurprisingly Covid is being cited as the official cause since people are being generally discouraged to go outside, which is kind of an important part of the game.

Unsurprisingly Covid is being cited as the official cause since people are being generally discouraged to go outside, which is kind of an important part of the game.

Oh no!

Anyway...

Says Pokemon Go....
We still take your money and still let you go outside.

I think it couldn't compete with it so I guess that's all you can do.
I played a bit but it was just like Poke Go and just removed it.

Minecraft Earth is set to be axed at the end of June. The most recent update disabled microtransactions and added in "all completed, unreleased content currently in our pipeline", which is a bit of a nice gesture as they could have easily just junked that content and tried to squeeze a few last dollars out of the game.

Eq-8LZIXUAc4_sl

Hmm, if I were a member of the coronavirus family I'd be a tad insulted, but hey.

This game had so much potential, but let's face it, it stank to high Heaven.

Good riddance.

I think it couldn't compete with it so I guess that's all you can do.
That's what a lot of folks have been speculating, too late to the party and too similar to other offerings. I also suspect they had intended it to be the killer app for HoloLens, and when that project went down the drain Microsoft just lost interest entirely.

Hmm, if I were a member of the coronavirus family I'd be a tad insulted, but hey.

This game had so much potential, but let's face it, it stank to high Heaven.

Good riddance.
The only thing I cared about it was the variants of animals. Hopefully they'll be added to Minecraft at some point.

The only thing I cared about it was the variants of animals. Hopefully they'll be added to Minecraft at some point.
If I recall, the Moobloom and Glow Squid were potential candidates for the next new mob for 1.17.

If I recall, the Moobloom and Glow Squid were potential candidates for the next new mob for 1.17.

Glow Squid.
By vote.

Mobs
Glow Squid

Last edited:
Back