Minecraft PC - Is It Worth It? / Traincraft Mod Screenshots

• Thread starter Doomotron
  • 82 comments
United Kingdom
England
Doomotron
Being an owner of the PS3 version, I have been wondering "Is the PC version worth it?" I have given myself 590 Euros to spend on gaming, but I have been questioning whether I should spend £17.95 (Sorry for both currencies) on a game I already own.

PS3'S ADVANTAGES
  • Easier to play (A proper controller)
  • Better graphics
  • Easier crafting system
  • Free trial mashup packs
  • Better online play
  • Local multiplayer
  • Cheaper
PC'S ADVANTAGES
  • Snapshots, mods and more items
PS3'S DISADVANTAGES
  • No mod support
  • Can only play online with friends
PC'S DISADVANTAGES
  • Worse controller
  • Worse graphics
  • Possibility of slow running

I will also make two sub-threads about other aspects of the game.

The only thing that the PC version can't do "better" (assuming you have a decent-ish PC) than the console ones is ease of use. Which is a huge plus (there are ways to play the PC one with a controller, but stuff like the crafting system can't be replicated on PC as far as I know and there is always an element of flakiness in how the PC version runs), admittedly; but you sound kind of convinced that it's not worth the upgrade yourself.

I'm not sure where you are getting 'worse graphics' from, since you can run mods that enhance graphics far more than the PS3 could ever do. As for 'possibility of slow running', you can change graphical settings so it can run.

Also with that list you kinda answered your own question.

Being an owner of the PS3 version, I have been wondering "Is the PC version worth it?" I have given myself 590 Euros to spend on gaming, but I have been questioning whether I should spend £17.95 (Sorry for both currencies) on a game I already own.

PS3'S ADVANTAGES
  • Better graphics
  • Easier crafting system
  • Better online play
  • Local multiplayer
  • Cheaper
PC'S ADVANTAGES
PS3'S DISADVANTAGES
  • No mod support
PC'S DISADVANTAGES
  • Worse controller
  • Worse graphics

Interesting comparison but not one I would make, owning both versions, and the PS4 version. If you are used to FPS games on the PC many would argue it's far more intuitive using the WASD/mouse combination than a controller, and the crafting system is also very intuitive. The disadvantage of the PS crafting system, in my opinion, is that it "gives away" all the potential recipes rather than letting you discover them yourself. It's kinda fun forming the shapes of tools on the crafting table, on PC.

As for graphics, mods aside it's graphically very simple, with virtually no difference between the versions. Furthermore the size of the world is relatively quite restricted on PS3 compared to PC (a lot larger on PS4 though)

I would perhaps agree that hardware-wise at least "you know where you are" on PS, there is always going to be a maximum draw distance and mean FPS, but then really that's less flexible than PC, and although MC on PC is arguably kinda badly programmed, with it's reliance on Java and not the greatest optimisation ever, by modern standards it's pretty easy to get it running with a smooth, panoramic set of preferences.

Lastly, PC owners get the major updates first, but that's more down to Mojang/MS I guess :)

In my experience "letting you discover them yourself" just means you have to minimize the game and look up things on the Minecraft wiki. Some crafting recipes are straightforward and logical, and that does include "most" of the early equipment. Fishing poles, axes, shovels, hoes, etc. Others are kinda odd but they make sense in a "oh, I got it now" kinda way (buckets, for example). Some of them are so hopelessly esoteric, even if you know what you're trying to make, it makes you wonder if Roberta Williams came up with them.

I've got a Lenovo G50 laptop with an Intel Celeron N2840 with 7.89GB, 64-Bit. What FPS do you think I'll get with that?

EDIT
Also, how much memory does Minecraft use with Java?

I've got a Lenovo G50 laptop with an Intel Celeron N2840 with 7.89GB, 64-Bit. What FPS do you think I'll get with that?

EDIT

Here is the Recommended requirements:

CPU: Intel Core i3 or AMD Athlon II (K10) 2.8 GHz
CPU Speed: Info
RAM: 4 GB
Video Card: GeForce 2xx Series or AMD Radeon HD 5xxx Series (Excluding Integrated Chipsets) with OpenGL 3.3
Sound Card: Yes
Free Disk Space: 1 GB

Minimum requirements:

CPU: Intel Pentium D or AMD Athlon 64 (K8) 2.6 GHz
RAM: 2 GB
Video Card: (Integrated): Intel HD Graphics or AMD/ATI Radeon HD Graphics with OpenGL 2.1
Free Disk Space: 200 MB

Here is the Recommended requirements:

CPU: Intel Core i3 or AMD Athlon II (K10) 2.8 GHz
RAM: 4 GB
Video Card: GeForce 2xx Series or AMD Radeon HD 5xxx Series (Excluding Integrated Chipsets) with OpenGL 3.3
Free Disk Space: 1 GB

Minimum requirements:

CPU: Intel Pentium D or AMD Athlon 64 (K8) 2.6 GHz
RAM: 2 GB
Video Card: (Integrated): Intel HD Graphics or AMD/ATI Radeon HD Graphics with OpenGL 2.1
Free Disk Space: 200 MB

Then my PC will work with it.

Also, is it possible to buy an older version of Minecraft as the mod I want is not yet compatible with later versions of the game? If not, I won't buy the game at all as it would be useless. I'll spend my nearly 600 Euros on a PS4 and GTA5.

Also, is it possible to buy an older version of Minecraft as the mod I want is not yet compatible with later versions of the game? If not, I won't buy the game at all as it would be useless. I'll spend my nearly 600 Euros on a PS4 and GTA5.

When you buy the game, you can use the Minecraft launcher to play any version of the game all the way back to the early Alpha builds from 2010.

That's 6.89GB to spend on mods! Amazing!

Well you can do as little as 1GB or up to full amount.
I was doing about 1.5 modified on a 32 bit system (and XP) and could get about 20-25 mods before I start having issues. So that is one reason I upgraded. (2nd one was to get out of XP now) and (3rd is to play some FPS again)

EDIT

Processor seems to be the same as mine. How fast is it? (For reference, mine is about .4 GHz below minimum) Game startup lags like hell at times, but once the immediate area is loaded up, I seem to ged mid-20's to mid-30's framerates.

In my experience "letting you discover them yourself" just means you have to minimize the game and look up things on the Minecraft wiki. Some crafting recipes are straightforward and logical, and that does include "most" of the early equipment. Fishing poles, axes, shovels, hoes, etc. Others are kinda odd but they make sense in a "oh, I got it now" kinda way (buckets, for example). Some of them are so hopelessly esoteric, even if you know what you're trying to make, it makes you wonder if Roberta Williams came up with them.

That's a fair point. A happy medium would be nice, perhaps where it shows the item only when you have the required parts.

I'll just add this to the graphics discussion...

wpqJUjJ.png

ZBrFBIV.png

8u8qIoJ.png

pyIAgq5.png

npL30dX.png

2015-07-29_00.00.33_1438124826.png

2015-07-29_00.01.18_1438125234.png

2015-07-29_00.01.29_1438125266.png

I kind of question asking if Minecraft PC is "worth it," as if it isn't that good. I had to wait a good bit until I finally got to play PC Minecraft. When I did, I was quite pleased. I previously played Minecraft Pocket Edition a lot. Then when Minecraft Console Edition came out, I immediately jumped out to buy the game for my PS3. I then finally got PC Minecraft to work when I bought a new computer. So is Minecraft PC worth it? Absolutely.

In a perfect world and if I had it my way, I'd play PC Minecraft with the accessibility and ease provided by the console versions of Minecraft. So it is very much worth it.

I'll just add this to the graphics discussion...

wpqJUjJ.png

ZBrFBIV.png

8u8qIoJ.png

pyIAgq5.png

npL30dX.png

2015-07-29_00.00.33_1438124826.png

2015-07-29_00.01.18_1438125234.png

2015-07-29_00.01.29_1438125266.png

Shaders mod = cheating. Still looks pretty good though, but being someone who doesn't mind Sega Mega Drive graphics, I don't care.

EDIT
For my mods, how to you play Version 1.6.4? I need to be able to or I have wasted my money.

ANOTHER EDIT
Don't worry, I know how to do it now.

Last edited:
My (I think) 10 year old, 2gb of ddr2 ram piece of Apple trash is able to run Minecraft Singleplayer at give or take 30 fps as long as you drop all your settings to minimum. So I imagine a cheap custom gaming pc should be able to get 60fps on high-max settings

Worse controller

When it comes to a game like Minecraft, using a keyboard and mouse is by no means worse. In fact it is far superior, since movement is actually a lot easier. Plus you have a lot of keys to use for things. It is the same for anything that gives a first person perspective, and the same can be said for things such as RTS games like Dota, RPG's like Fallout and Skyrim.

Never did understand that argument against playing games on the PC. Perhaps I am just old, but there really are no disadvantages to playing these types of games on a PC with a keyboard and mouse. If anything, the Playstation and Xbox controllers put you at more of a disadvantage than anything; as they severely reduce range of motion and buttons. The only games that put you at a disadvantage with a keyboard/mouse, are racing games, or any games that heavily feature driving such as GTA or Watchdogs.

but being someone who doesn't mind Sega Mega Drive graphics, I don't care.

If you didn't care about graphics, then you would not have used it as a pro for the PS3 and a negative for the PC.

Shaders mod = cheating.

And how is it cheating exactly? It is only the same as adding a mod for modern types of tech in Minecraft, or for magic, or new weapons and tools. A mod is a mod, and that is where minecraft on the PC excels.

When it comes to a game like Minecraft, using a keyboard and mouse is by no means worse. In fact it is far superior, since movement is actually a lot easier. Plus you have a lot of keys to use for things. It is the same for anything that gives a first person perspective, and the same can be said for things such as RTS games like Dota, RPG's like Fallout and Skyrim.

Never did understand that argument against playing games on the PC. Perhaps I am just old, but there really are no disadvantages to playing these types of games on a PC with a keyboard and mouse. If anything, the Playstation and Xbox controllers put you at more of a disadvantage than anything; as they severely reduce range of motion and buttons. The only games that put you at a disadvantage with a keyboard/mouse, are racing games, or any games that heavily feature driving such as GTA or Watchdogs.

If you didn't care about graphics, then you would not have used it as a pro for the PS3 and a negative for the PC.

And how is it cheating exactly? It is only the same as adding a mod for modern types of tech in Minecraft, or for magic, or new weapons and tools. A mod is a mod, and that is where minecraft on the PC excels.

As the person who posted that used a mod, not vanilla graphics.

PS3'S ADVANTAGES
  • Better graphics
  • Easier crafting system
  • Better online play
  • Local multiplayer
  • Cheaper
PC'S ADVANTAGES
PS3'S DISADVANTAGES
  • No mod support
PC'S DISADVANTAGES
  • Worse controller
  • Worse graphics

I believe you should get the PC version. Almost all of its disadvantages can be removed through the use of mods, and on top of that mods can add functionality that the console versions don't have, so it's possible to build your own specialized version of Minecraft that is tailored entirely to you.

I believe you should get the PC version. Almost all of its disadvantages can be removed through the use of mods, and on top of that mods can add functionality that the console versions don't have, so it's possible to build your own specialized version of Minecraft that is tailored entirely to you.

How do you install Forge Mod Loader without giving yourself a virus?

How do you install Forge Mod Loader without giving yourself a virus?
Always make sure the site you're downloading from is files.minecraftforge.net. That's the project's official homepage. Once you're on the site, click "Installer-win" under "DOWNLOAD LATEST." That'll install it for you. There's also an installer for Linux machines, as well as a Readme, a mod development kit (MDK) and the loose files if you want to install manually. If you're concerned about getting a virus from one of their advertising partners, don't be. It's never happened to me and I've downloaded Forge a few times.

Always make sure the site you're downloading from is files.minecraftforge.net. That's the project's official homepage. Once you're on the site, click "Installer-win" under "DOWNLOAD LATEST." That'll install it for you. There's also an installer for Linux machines, as well as a Readme, a mod development kit (MDK) and the loose files if you want to install manually. If you're concerned about getting a virus from one of their advertising partners, don't be. It's never happened to me and I've downloaded Forge a few times.

How do you get Java Runtime 1.6.0? It doesn't appear on the website.

Java has been installed... But there is another issue. When I try to download Traincraft (the mod I want), it says 'Which program do you want to open this in'. I am using Windows 8.1. Which do I open it in?

Latest Posts

Back