Mirror's Edge: Catalyst

Australia
Australia
f5V59QNwkiY9.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

Publisher: Electronic Arts
Developer: EA Digital Illusions CE (DICE)

Engine: Frostbite 3
Platforms: PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One
Release Date: February 23rd, 2016

Mirror’s Edge has always had a special place in the hearts of all of us at DICE. The first game had a lot of promise. It was unlike anything else in terms of the gameplay and style — it had a unique soul. But as much as we loved that game, we knew it could be more. So that’s what we have set out to do as we introduce Mirror’s Edge to a new generation.

The team has spent a lot of time re-evaluating every aspect of the game and making it a new experience. This is not a sequel, this is not Mirror's Edge 2. We have landed on a vision that honors the first game — pushing the boundaries of first person movement and diving deeper into the story behind our heroine Faith — but also brings a lot of great new, interesting gameplay and features to the experience for our players.

Thank you for your incredible passion and your patience. I'm excited to tell you that it's paid off — by this time next week, you will have finally seen more of the game at E3.

Last edited:
Couldn't be more delighted. I've played the hell out of the original. I always thought it was an absolute gem that was often overlooked, but looking at the reactions to this trailer on various sites it seems it's received the attention it deserves after all.

Looking forward to this one but I am a little concerned by the trailer's focus on the combat that was so pointless in the first game. I mean, yeah, you can't have a AAA (or maybe AA) game without combat, but still. Then again E3's trailers tend to be biased towards the violence thing so maybe it will be optional. Either way, I'm very interested to see what they do with this.

Meh I hope it's good, wasn't sold by the original, thought it was inconsistent and the great concept lacked great execution.

Looking forward to this one but I am a little concerned by the trailer's focus on the combat that was so pointless in the first game. I mean, yeah, you can't have a AAA (or maybe AA) game without combat, but still. Then again E3's trailers tend to be biased towards the violence thing so maybe it will be optional. Either way, I'm very interested to see what they do with this.
I noticed this with Beyond: Two Souls as well. The previous trailers and gameplay are all thriller/story based whereas the E3 one with Page, Dafoe and Winter was very centred on military scenes.

I wonder how this will tie into the original story. I was thinking it would take place after Mirror's Edge since the suits that (I can assume they are CPF) are wearing seem much more advanced and streamlined compared to the original Project Icarus:
1000px-38_-_Characters_-_Pursuit_concept.png

tumblr_inline_mkja8mqkWl1ryv9ki.gif

I've been waiting for a sequel ever since the release of the first one. Fantastic news!

I wonder how this will tie into the original story. I was thinking it would take place after Mirror's Edge since the suits that (I can assume they are CPF) are wearing seem much more advanced and streamlined compared to the original Project Icarus.

I believe the parkour cops were sent by Pirandello Kruger.

Need4Speed685
I believe the parkour cops were sent by Pirandello Kruger.
Now that you mention it, I think it was a joint operation from both PK and CPF. PK wore the white prototype while CPF donned the black suits with what looked like a softball catcher's mask.

Last edited:
I liked the idea of this game but I couldn't play it, brought on my nausea/motion sickness that I get in most first person games.

Are you kidding me? Another EA-backed sequel with a title that is the EXACT same as the previous game? How long will this go on for?!
Hot Pursuit, Most Wanted, Star Wars Battlefront (3), Mirror's Edge...........

Meh I hope it's good, wasn't sold by the original, thought it was inconsistent and the great concept lacked great execution.

This is how I felt about the first one. It was very linear for the most part, which was brutal given how it seemed to suited to open world type work. Almost cruel, really, to give us an amazing parkour engine and then be like "hey, stick on these rails please, k thx bai."

If they make it far more open and exploration based (Metriod, GTA, etc) I'll be sold on it. But if they just do what they did with the first one, not buying it.

Are you kidding me? Another EA-backed sequel with a title that is the EXACT same as the previous game? How long will this go on for?!
Hot Pursuit, Most Wanted, Star Wars Battlefront (3), Mirror's Edge...........

Uhm, what's wrong with that? Gran Turismo 6?

Uhm, what's wrong with that? Gran Turismo 6?

He means sequels with the exact same name, not just the same name with a number. I wasn't aware they were calling this Mirrors Edge and not Mirrors Edge 2, but if they are that's bloody annoying.

They need to have more open environments and less indoor sections where you have to either use guns or find that one vent in the room to get out. The game was at it's best when you were on the rooftops at full sprint. Looking forward to some proper gameplay.

They need to have more open environments and less indoor sections where you have to either use guns or find that one vent in the room to get out. The game was at it's best when you were on the rooftops at full sprint. Looking forward to some proper gameplay.

I thought some of the indoor climbing sections were pretty good as well. Those more deliberately paced bits provide the necessary breaks between the fast paced roof sections. But I agree the more horizontal indoor parts were pretty boring and usually had poor combat scenes too. They seemed to run out of ideas in the final third of the game.

Mirror's Edge: Directed by J.J. Abrams:

Visuals: Check!
Soundtrack: Hmm... we need some wubs. Like wub wubs. Mt Eden has a remix of Still Alive, but that's too good. We need something that's like wub wub snooPINGAS blarghhhh wheewww wheewwww blablaBLARGH.

While it seems like a good idea, I don't think that an open-world will implement itself well into a game like Mirror's Edge. It's more of a first-person-platformer than a shooter. Having an open world will mess with the flow that you had in the original Mirror's Edge since you'll have to stop and decide where to go.

I wouldn't mind a little bit of freedom within each level though, like one or two paths that would deviate from the main one and could shave a few seconds off your time.

While it seems like a good idea, I don't think that an open-world will implement itself well into a game like Mirror's Edge. It's more of a first-person-platformer than a shooter. Having an open world will mess with the flow that you had in the original Mirror's Edge since you'll have to stop and decide where to go.

I wouldn't mind a little bit of freedom within each level though, like one or two paths that would deviate from the main one and could shave a few seconds off your time.

The original game had a few "shortcuts" in each level. The issue was it just got extremely boring with minimal replay value minus time trailing. Which got fairly boring as well.

An open-world might make the game less idiot proof, it will certainly make it a more interesting game and attract more people that just want to run around and explore. Which is massively appealing to a large variety of people, from casuals to speed runners and sequence breakers. As for messing with the flow, they had that fairly well taken care of with the critical objects appearing red. It will not take much to add in a "guide" system to help those that can't get into a flow.

But again, the most common complaint I've heard about the game is it felt far too linear (shortcuts in a level are still linear) despite this promise of running around and jumping on things. Super Mario 64 was fairly open world and everyone did just fine with that game.

Back