Mission 11 - New York Toyota GT2000

• Thread starter Swift
  • 169 comments
All this talk of driving the Toyota 2000GT at New York made me want to give this another try, so here's my video:

My winning margin is 9.176 seconds:)

The total time was 6.39.783

I know its 5 seconds off Austin343's time,:bowdown: but I thought I'd share anyway!

Enjoy the racing,
GTsail

Thanks Open Addict -

My Toyota is definitely in need of a paint job!

I previously had many attempts where I was about 2 seconds slower and the same AI were in the way thru the corners.:yuck: At least with this race I was up alongside the pesky AI so I could complete the passes without slowing down.:)

See you at the races!
GTsail

Thanks Open Addict -

My Toyota is definitely in need of a paint job!

I previously had many attempts where I was about 2 seconds slower and the same AI were in the way thru the corners.:yuck: At least with this race I was up alongside the pesky AI so I could complete the passes without slowing down.:)

See you at the races!
GTsail

Heck, anyone can drive fast and rub the other cars. But it takes a master to miss the cars and go real slow. :lol:

Nice vid. See you at MazdaLS. :)

Sorry, but I don't even bother with the "Missions" anymore...they're so unrealistic as to be laughable...especially 11...I've done up to number 10, but from there on, they just become more and more "WTF???"...bad handling cars attempting fast laps, underpowered cars trying to catch much faster ones on courses with long straights that mean a slight miscalculation and you may as well just hit "restart". I've been playing the game for years on and off, and haven't been able to progress past 11, even thought I've completed most of the other challenges in the game. After probably up near 100 tries at 11, I've decided I can do without Jay Leno's Tank Car. The missions are something that just doesn't interest me anymore.
For instance, in number 11 in particular, who the hell would even dream they could have a chance in hell...unless they drove like a god and had all the luck in the world...of catching up in only 3 laps on a technical course like New York with a lead car 30 seconds or so ahead, given the car you have been blessed with? I mean, the damn thing has oversteer and understeer (seemingly both at once sometimes), lift off oversteer in corners, it falls off the torque curve so badly around the second gear area that it feels like you could get out and walk faster, and has body roll that would make an oil tanker in a hurricane proud.

I've raced cars for real (drag race and circuit, as well as a touch of rally driving) and sometimes I wonder what the hell the makers of GT were thinking...and in a real race in real life, if you gently rub the other guys car or brush a barrier exiting a corner, you don't get a five second penalty...I also recall an old racer friend of mine saying a couple of years back about this very mission "You know, there's a name we call blokes who turn up to a high speed race with standard soft suspension and street tyres...disqualified"...

I wonder if it's true what they say, that different countries get a different version of the game...? I've noticed that the AI cars don't seem to make one single mistake in many races in GT4...I mean, there's "AI" (Artificial Intelligence"), but there's what some of us old gamers used to call the annoying and frustrating "PAI"..."Perfect Artificial Intelligence" that is just too perfect for it's own good...

Still a great game though...👍

Last edited:
After spending the last three days (including some sessions stretching to four hours or more...the wifes away and I've got a block of days off work) trying to beat this mission, the best I have managed is +5 seconds. I honestly don't think it's possible to go any better than this...with the version of the game I have.

A few things I've noticed...does anyone else see this happen? Just curious...
* If you haven't passed the white Mazda 110 by the start of the series of 90 degree corners leading into the second last long straight, restart...there's no way on gods green Earth you're going to catch him at that stage.
* The AI cars show a remarkable propensity for following absolutely perfect driving lines, with literally no understeer or rear end sliding visible at all. Too perfect in fact. It really stands out.
* If you are pushing hard, and once or twice get the rear out of shape, it seems to me that even if you reduce pace a bit, the car no oversteers a lot easier from that point onwards. Similar but not as noticeable with understeer.
* Brake lock up...again, let it happen once or twice, and the computer seems to say "Oh, let's throw some more of that at you and see how you like it then buddy", and it locks up with squeeling tyres even when being gentle on the brakes.

I bought my copy of GT4 off Ebay (our son kept the other one we owned when he moved out of home), s I'm not sure what version this one is, other than I'm in Australia and the box says "Pal"

All up, as I said, I've given up now on the missions...there's no point in including stuff in a game that is so far beyond what is capable of any but the most dedicated, I-haven't-got-a-life, full time video gamers...it just frustrates and annoys the ordinary user.

I still find it odd when people say this mission is hard. I never had much trouble with it. However, I will say that driving style has much more weight than actual skill in this mission. If you're not using all of the track and hitting the apex in the corners, you're just not going to make it.

Odd that you say you can't catch the Mazda on the straight. Your car is much faster than the Cosmo there, so if you're still a little behind it is possible to catch it. Are you taking the hairpin in first or second gear?

All up, as I said, I've given up now on the missions...there's no point in including stuff in a game that is so far beyond what is capable of any but the most dedicated, I-haven't-got-a-life, full time video gamers...it just frustrates and annoys the ordinary user.

I have a working life, A house, a wife, (who has me around her little finger :) ) and PAL Version of GT4. I found this mission tough, however it is do-able.

Read many of the posts in this thread, as that is what helped me to complete this mission. Slow in, Fast out really applies with this car also. You can not treat it like an LMP or racing car. You have to be gentle.

A few things I've noticed...does anyone else see this happen? Just curious...
* If you haven't passed the white Mazda 110 by the start of the series of 90 degree corners leading into the second last long straight, restart...there's no way on gods green Earth you're going to catch him at that stage.

*Snip*

I disagree about the Mazda on the straight, the Toyota 2000GT has far superior straightline speed. In my WRS-clean standard run (no contact with walls or cars at all) at this, I was a little over 3s behind the 110 at the checkpoint going onto the second last long straight on lap 3 and still won by over 1s. He has an absolute nightmare in the bottom hairpin and wiggles a lot coming out. If you can pass him coming out of the bend on his right side, you'll easily beat him to the line.

This mission is all about the maintaining of momentum, you're in an old car, modeled on the fact that in them days cars had relatively narrow and not terribly grippy tyres. Add to this you're on Comfort tyres (N1s) the worst in GT4 and it becomes absolutely necessary to drive this mission with the slow-in-fast-out mantra of yore rather than relying on the extreme levels of grip that high-downforce cars on R5 tyres give you (and get you into bad habits of relying on them.) Bear in mind too that this car has the driving aids turned on. Stomp the throttle and get the car sideways, ASM kicks in to cut power and straighten you up, thus slowing you down. Overpower the skinny, non-grippy tyres and get the wheels spinning and TCS kicks in to stop it and slows you down.

I also disagree about the "I-haven't-got-a-life, full time video gamers", I completed this mission (as well as all gold licence tests) before completing a single race in GT4 purely as a mechanism for learning to drive with a wheel (I used D-pad for all previous GT games before this.) I clearly do have a life, clicky my username, that car in the background of my profile is mine, as is the house it's parked outside of. Those things don't come to those who don't have a life and I work bloody hard to earn what I do and enjoy it too. Gaming is a part-time hobby, but perseverance goes a long way (as does an understanding wife, which thankfully I also have!)

I can post a video if you'd like of my Mission 11 run. It's nowhere near as quick as Austin343 or GTsail290's videos (definitely have a look at these 2 as well as they'll show you where to make time and how to drive this) but it does prove you can pass the Mazda 110 exiting the last corner and still win. ;)

I recall struggling with this mission when I first got this game in '05, and I finally did it with the DS2. Probably took me a couple dozen attempts.

Now I've got the DFGT, and I thought perhaps it would be easier with the wheel since it's easier to drive smoothly. Well, nope-- I'm still fit to be tied. Getting better with practice, but the best I can muster is 8 seconds behind. Kind of disheartening when you don't even see the Mazda in view when you reach the end. I'll keep trying, but yeah, this one's got to be perfect.

I recall struggling with this mission when I first got this game in '05, and I finally did it with the DS2. Probably took me a couple dozen attempts.

Now I've got the DFGT, and I thought perhaps it would be easier with the wheel since it's easier to drive smoothly. Well, nope-- I'm still fit to be tied. Getting better with practice, but the best I can muster is 8 seconds behind. Kind of disheartening when you don't even see the Mazda in view when you reach the end. I'll keep trying, but yeah, this one's got to be perfect.

If you've done it before, using the DS2, then all you need is some more practice with the DFGT wheel.

Try not to over-drive the Toyota. Like Smallhorses says just above, you need to maintain your speed thru all the 90 degree turns (slow-in, fast-out), so smooth is good!

Good luck!
GTsail

If you've done it before, using the DS2, then all you need is some more practice with the DFGT wheel.

Try not to over-drive the Toyota. Like Smallhorses says just above, you need to maintain your speed thru all the 90 degree turns (slow-in, fast-out), so smooth is good!

Good luck!
GTsail

Finally did it. After about a half a dozen attempts of getting the split down to 4 seconds and then 2, I finally got him by .105. All during my attempts I knew that as along as I was gaining 10 seconds per lap on the leader I was doing OK.

My original tendency was to overdrive the car like everyone says not to do, but I realized that I was chronically UNDER driving it, to the point that I was babying it. It took many many tries, but I ultimately found the *zone* with the car.

I'm glad to put this one to rest once again.

Finally did it. After about a half a dozen attempts of getting the split down to 4 seconds and then 2, I finally got him by .105. All during my attempts I knew that as along as I was gaining 10 seconds per lap on the leader I was doing OK.

My original tendency was to overdrive the car like everyone says not to do, but I realized that I was chronically UNDER driving it, to the point that I was babying it. It took many many tries, but I ultimately found the *zone* with the car.

I'm glad to put this one to rest once again.
Well I beat the Mazda on my fourth try. I think with a little bit of practise it gets really easy. Now I'm having to use the same technique for the Superbird at Seattle

To help maintain your speed in the 90 degree corners, you want to get as close as you can to the outside barrier, brake, go easy on the throttle, and just before you hit the apex, full throttle. You want to be going through the corners at around 50 mph (80 kph). For the three small corners after the roundabout, I entered the first one at around 37 mph (58-59 kph), same speed for the second, and then full throttle through the third, so you should exit at around 45 mph (72 kph). For the roundabout after the start/finish straight, I entered at about 40 mph (64 kph), then 50% throttle round the roundabout at 45 mph (72 kph) in 2nd gear, then when you are just about to turn left, apply full throttle and hit the apex at about 59-60 mph (96 kph), but BRAKE EARLY before you enter the roundabout. I passed the Celica there on my third lap. For the hairpin before the start/finish straight, I managed to maintain a speed of about 35-36 mph (56-57 kph) but during the turn you want to keep full throttle to maintain the speed. You never need 1st gear, all the corners can be done in 2nd gear. Hope this helps. :)

I beat the Mazda on the start/finish straight on the 3rd lap, so close :scared:

Thanks to stan394 for the help 👍

Last edited:
PAL version is apparently a lot harder than the NTSC/NA versions for mission 11....i hate it and cannot do it...but having just read this from post number one i think i'll give it another go

For those of you still trying to beat Mission 11, here are a few tips to help. 1. ALWAYS drive in manual. If you drive this car automatic, it'll shift way earlier than it should and won't take advantage of engine braking. You want to get the absolute most out of every single gear. When late braking in this car, don't worry about the engine. You can brake very late and shift straight into 2nd gear to slow down faster. 2. Fly into the apexes early and don't stress out if you have to brake a little mid apex to correct yourself. As long as your revs are high, you'll be fine. 3. This should go without saying, but find landmarks on the track to tell you exactly when you should brake (of course). 4. And lastly, bellyaching about how awful and outdated the car is isn't going to solve anything. The car is perfectly capable of passing this mission. My time : 6:46.3

How are you guys, good afternoon.
Or rather, some of them already in their old age.

I tell you that a couple of weeks ago, I got the pleasure to dust off my old console, and to give GT4 racing again, (which for my taste is better than the "Gran Turismo")

Well, after the pleasure of running some beginner races again, (I have had the luxury of getting the Autobianchi in my favorite color, for which it took me a certain 16 attempts and 200 pts.)
Well, I've moved on to the "Missions" section and AT THE SECOND TRY, I've caught up with the Cosmo. I have been through a very narrow margin, but I have succeeded. +.065

I hope someone else gets to see this achievement, as I see the forum very lonely. And Thanks for this space that has served me a lot of consultation even though this is the first time that I write something.

By the way, I apologize if something is not expressed correctly, since I am from Mexico and I use the Google translator.

Back