Mission 11 - New York Toyota GT2000

• Thread starter Swift
  • 169 comments
Well guys, unless one of you has an idiot proof way to beat this then I think I will never get it. I've been beat .02 .8 1.5, you name it. To those of you who did beat it I congratulate you. I have watched the video's. I can get to 26.4 on the first split, and after that I can't see how Mick777 keeps his speed up. Maybe I never will, but I have tried everything. If any of you have any advice I would welcome it. So far I have tried 1897 times. Only done 653 complete. The others were re started. Don't know, maybe I should just start the game again. Any thoughts?

Okay, we've got an old vintage car on N2 tires (according to the replay info) and i think TCS is ON. So you've got all these things working against you. Basically tons of understeer. Normally the car wouldn't be so crappy to drive.

Brake heavily before turning in.
That's the main thing. And hten you can concentrate on your steering. Steering this car (with the tires and all the crap on) is like steering a rowboat, but basicaly:

BRAKE.........and then coast & steer in. Give gas when appropriate.

Every single corner at New Yawk uses this same basic recipe except one: the 270 degree circle area. Here, you need to brake in as straight as possible into the circle (think of it as a chicane area with a "left/right" steering demands).

Once you're in the circle, push the 2000GT to its very limit of understeer, and then back off the throttle. Do this over and over in this turn so you're keeping speed as constant as you can. As you can see the exit, get lined up an NAIL IT out of htere so you get some nice exit speed.

Power is almost non-existent, so you do'nt have to worry about oversteer at all. The rest is just a good knowledge of the course.

If i were you, i would try buying this car from the historic lot. Putting some N2 tires on, switching the ASM off but leaving the TCS on 2, and drive around New York. DO lots of laps. Get accustomed to the track. Do it as a Track Meet as well, so you get used to passing other cars.

The Ai actually drives very poorly in this mission. After some practice, you'll evenetually smoke them. That final hairpin turn at the end of the course is crucial. The Ai car (forget which one) gets a bit confused and starts to turn in too early. And then he over-corrects before leaving the hairpin into the final straight. Make sure you've got a cornering path that doesn't include smaking into him as he struggles!

Last edited:
Another critical thing with these heavy, slow steering, vintage sports cars is weight transfer.
As has been stated get your braking done early,in a straight line, then shift the weight by feinting and countersteering ( ie quickly and briefly turn the opposite way just as you are about to turn in ) through the corners.This really increases the speed at which you can corner.Hope this makes sense, it is a hard thing to describe but once you have done it you will know what I mean.

This may have been mentioned before, if so forgive me.

Thanks for your help guys. Problem is I am now having a day off work to do this. Whoever wrote this mission wants a good slap up side of the head. Will keep trying. Thanks for the encouragement.

Thanks for your help guys. Problem is I am now having a day off work to do this. Whoever wrote this mission wants a good slap up side of the head. Will keep trying. Thanks for the encouragement.

REally, it's not that bad. You'll eventually get it.

Another things to focus on is your line around the track. Its probably up there with breaking strategies.

You really need to plan your approach into each corner. Don't just come in hot, dive in and mash the brake. Driving like that costs you momentum, and time. And to make things worse, the TCS will kick in further anchoring you down.

Start out wide on the turn, cut in close to the barrier, and swing out wide again, and set your self up for the next turn. The key is to maintain as much momentum coming out of the turn as you possibly can. The majority of turns in New York will allow you to do this.

Setting up and finding the rhythm of the proper line will usually take a little while to master. Approaching each turn, navigating it, exiting it and setting up for the next turn should feel like one fluid motion.

I found that running New York in the Muscle Car Competition in a stock American muscle car helped me run this. I'd run it a few times in my stock Cougar . . . Until I felt like I was following the appropriate line each lap. Then went back to the challenge.

Since the Toyota didn't have the acceleration of the Muscle cars, it allowed me to take my time setting myself up for each corner.

Yes, yes yes. Finally beat this cowson. After nearly 3500 attempts I nailed the bleeder. Sorry for my language but Jesus am I glad.Beat it by .622. I aint the best in the world but there really is a sense of achievement when you can do it. If I can do it, anyone can. Thanks for all your help guys. Thought the wheel was going to go through my tv.

WOW!!! What a mission. I FINALLY passed! by only.971 Thank god. I dont know how many times I tried but it was definitley waaaaaaaay too many!

Yes, yes yes. Finally beat this cowson. After nearly 3500 attempts I nailed the bleeder. Sorry for my language but Jesus am I glad.Beat it by .622. I aint the best in the world but there really is a sense of achievement when you can do it. If I can do it, anyone can. Thanks for all your help guys. Thought the wheel was going to go through my tv.

Congrats Popeye . . . Just wait until you get to 34. :):sly::scared:

I DONE IT! i thought it was going to be really hard but it only took me 3 or 4 goes. on the 3rd lap at the last corner the car in first slid out and smashed into me but i ended up overtaking him down the straight and winning by .460 secs

I tried this mission today, and on the 2nd try, passed it.

On the 1st try, i was down by 2 sec at the end of the 3rd lap, but i won by 4 secs on the 2nd try.

Just to say, the key to this mission is to brake early and gain lots of speed outta the corners.

Use the kerbs maximum, except the kerbs at the tight right left right corner after the straight, right after the 'roundabout'. That particular kerbs tend to oversteer the car if used too much. Otherwise, it's quite a simple mission.

to expand on that: you gotta brake early while knowing exactly how the rest of your cornering line is gonna shape up. Therefore, additional brake-taps late-corner are what can kill you.

I finally won this mission! I feel so happy about it now :) I crashed one time during the three laps, but I still gained the 1st place just before the finish line! It's just great! :D 👍

Congrats to you:tup:. Its great when you get it. I had a hell of a job with it, but it was sweet when it happened. Well done

I finally won this mission! I feel so happy about it now :) I crashed one time during the three laps, but I still gained the 1st place just before the finish line! It's just great! :D 👍

Congrats. 11 was the second mission I completed after 18 (and after 1-10). I learned the art of patience. Which helped me with 14 & 15.

Congrats to you:tup:. Its great when you get it. I had a hell of a job with it, but it was sweet when it happened. Well done

Thank you very much! :)

Congrats. 11 was the second mission I completed after 18 (and after 1-10). I learned the art of patience. Which helped me with 14 & 15.

Thanks. Yes, the main thing here is that you've patience and that you don't overdrive the car. Keep calm and you'll win it 👍 At this point I want to thank whole GTPlanet (A special thank to Jordan, because without you we wouldn't have this awesome website! ;)) and for those who have posted advice here! You're awesome guys!

I recently redid this mission with the intent of getting the best time I could, and although that didn't happen (when does it?), I did end up with a clean run that ranks second on GTRP, less than 0.6 behind holl01. Since people (especially in PAL, probably because of faster AI) still struggle with this mission, I thought I'd share a video of that run.

I recently redid this mission with the intent of getting the best time I could, and although that didn't happen (when does it?), I did end up with a clean run that ranks second on GTRP, less than 0.6 behind holl01. Since people (especially in PAL, probably because of faster AI) still struggle with this mission, I thought I'd share a video of that run.

Way to go Superman!

Thank you Austin343 for that video. I was watching it before trying the mission in order to get an idea how to tackle it. After reading the posts in this forum I was expecting more difficulties. I managed to do it in my 4th try. If you find your rythm in the corners, it´s really not that hard.

33 missions down, only one to go (guess which one :))

I've been trying this, about 1.5 hour a night for about the last two weeks.

Last night was my closest result; I did +0.005.

But when the first results screen came up, it showed something like +-3 lap.
The second set of results showed a reasonable time.

I did a few more runs but couldn't get closer than a little over a second.

A problem I have is that, even if I pass the 2nd and 3rd place cars just before Columbus Circle, I have difficulty going hard enough but not too hard for the rest of the last lap. I either hold back too much and go slowly, or lose time sliding badly.

I've been trying this, about 1.5 hour a night for about the last two weeks.

OUCH!

Yeah, this is a pretty tough Mission.

Are you running with a manual transmission or auto? The manual makes this Mission easier since you can stay in the lower gear a little longer. Use R2 to hold the auto transmission in gear a little longer.

Re-read Parnelli Bone's post # 123 and Paragon GT's post # 127 which talk about weight transfer and being smooth thru the corners.

Brake early and go thru the corners smoothly.

I purchased a Toyota 2000GT and drove it around at New York for practice.

Good luck,
GTsail

Last edited:
I either hold back too much and go slowly, or lose time sliding badly.

I seem to remember this was a trying mission. You have to resist the urge to go too hard in the corners. Brake early and then accelerate through them. Do what GTsail290 recommended and read the above posts. I too bought a car slapped on the correct tyres and went over to Arcade and just ran lap after lap. It is much easier with MT but it can be done with AT. It just takes more skill? :sly: And a lot of patience. :banghead:

But when the first results screen came up, it showed something like +-3 lap.
That peculiar result screen was my main reason for posting.

I persisted and eventually managed -0.047, and that was relative to about a .200 second faster AI time, too.

There were two things I concentrated on a bit in the final attempts. I made a bit more of a "V" instead of "U" line through the final double-apex hairpin. And in the interior left-hander which follows the double-ninety right at the furthest extremity from the start line, I swung a little to the right on entry, using a bit of that extreme run-off area. In fact, I used a lot of kerb in that corner and the final left-hander too.

And, oh yes. My wife had gone to bed and so her television wasn't going and so I could better listen to all the sounds on mine.

I persisted and eventually managed -0.047, and that was relative to about a .200 second faster AI time, too.

Nicely done SportWagon:tup:

I thought you would be able to beat the Mission. You were so close before.:eek:

Respectfully,
GTsail

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back