Mitsubishi Not Dead Yet: Nissan Takes Control

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 656 comments
The brand is not only about the Lancer Evolution anyway.

In Mitsubishi's most important market of North America? Yes, it more or less is, considering it was the brand's calling card for years beginning with the Evo VII. Subaru at least had reliability and AWD to hawk and believe in. Mitsubishi has more or less since 2004 hitched their wagon to the idea that buying a Lancer even would get you somewhat close to the idea of piloting a Evo in a rally stage or whatever. Not anymore.

If they're going to try the tactic of race on Sunday, sell on Monday, they basically have no options for a hypothetical Evo XI that aren't obscure rally disciplines that aren't under the hold of R5 regulations. Contrast that with Honda and Acura, at least in North America, who actually do have options to intersect into advertising racing heritage with the current model range (James Hinchcliffe, obviously, but also the HART Civic Type R TCR and then Katherine Legge and the Meyers Shank Acura NSX GT3) Granted, it's on more or less halo models, but what can Mistubishi do? I don't think many people in North America care about Dakar, and if they did know about it, they'd know that the Outlander or RVR they can buy at their local dealership is nothing like the purpose built off road racers that are present in Dakar.

In Mitsubishi's most important market of North America? Yes, it more or less is, considering it was the brand's calling card for years beginning with the Evo VII. Subaru at least had reliability and AWD to hawk and believe in. Mitsubishi has more or less since 2004 hitched their wagon to the idea that buying a Lancer even would get you somewhat close to the idea of piloting a Evo in a rally stage or whatever. Not anymore.

If they're going to try the tactic of race on Sunday, sell on Monday, they basically have no options for a hypothetical Evo XI that aren't obscure rally disciplines that aren't under the hold of R5 regulations. Contrast that with Honda and Acura, at least in North America, who actually do have options to intersect into advertising racing heritage with the current model range (James Hinchcliffe, obviously, but also the HART Civic Type R TCR and then Katherine Legge and the Meyers Shank Acura NSX GT3) Granted, it's on more or less halo models, but what can Mistubishi do? I don't think many people in North America care about Dakar, and if they did know about it, they'd know that the Outlander or RVR they can buy at their local dealership is nothing like the purpose built off road racers that are present in Dakar.
Lol wtf, what are you talking about? :boggled: :lol:

Why do you keep on bringing that North American market up as if it's their only sole market remaining active when the brand barely has presence there anymore? And comparing it with other brands like Subaru or Honda just because of a freaking scenario and factor? Seriously?

Earlier, I was talking about how this brand became different throughout the years, from their original roots of participating in rally motorsport to focusing in making electric & more civilian vehicles recently, and then suddenly you had to bring this whole recognition stuff just for what? To dismiss it? What does it have to do with their historic past?

Regardless of what you're saying or trying to point out, they still do have existing markets in other parts of the world, particularly in Asia, where they still have some of their most solid presence, plus they have more variety of vehicles there than what they currently have in the NA market.

And If I can recall, I bet it wasn't even marketing their cars in NA as potential AWD machines that made them participate in Rallies before in the first place. But of course, that's just their past and we all know that they won't be like the same again ever.

Btw, I'm not talking about any of their controversial issues or scandals here because those are different stories from what I'm talking about.

2021 Outlander has been spotted
2021-mitsubishi-outlander.jpg

Appears to be heavily influenced by the Engelberg Concept.

Even if it's covered by camouflage, I can see that they're trying to fit the Dynamic Shield to it's own very front-end.

Just feels like cars are going back to this. I know the Range Rover and Land Cruiser have looked like the car below, for half a century, but seems like this is the norm now.
vintage-german-ladies-with-their-classic-cars-1920s-04-1040x440.jpg

Not necessarily news per se, but a design study of a 2023 Galant VR-4 was released today.

What're everyone's thoughts about this? Personally, this is exactly the type of vehicle the brand would need, being that all the brand has to offer is the hilariously cheap Mirage/Attrage, the outdated ASX/Outlander Sport, and the strange-looking Eclipse Cross. It's hard to go wrong with a stylish sedan that could also cash in on nostalgia; something like this could drastically improve Mitsubishi's image, which would in turn increase sales.

That's the sort of thing that could help them. Not some random CUV with a re-hashed nameplate.
Exactly my point. I don't know why Mitsubishi has completely abandoned the thought of any somewhat exciting car.

It's also a shame nothing ever came of the 2007 Concept-ZT. For a non-luxury sedan this is quite a handsome design.

What they need is a true successor to the Evolution X but it seems unlikely for the next few years. Also, a new Pajero/Montero model since it's already discontinued in the brand's home, Japan.

Furthermore, Mitsubishi's crossovers in the United States are performing horribly. In 2018, a mere 9,485 Eclipse Crosses and 39,300 Outlander Sports were sold. To put that into perspective, Nissan sold 412,000 Rogues in the US that year. Yes, I know Mitsubishi is a smaller company with fewer dealerships and advertising funds, but those sales are quite low for compact CUVs, which suggests that they are abysmal products.

Which might lead to a reason good enough to pull out from the US market someday. Three diamonds no more.

Which might lead to a reason good enough to pull out in the US market. Three diamonds no more.
I don't know, honestly. Strangely, despite the Outlander Sport being a decade old almost, it's 2018 sales (39,000) was the highest ever. Since 2015, its sales have been increasing, so I guess there's no urgency for it to die. Mind you, it only sold 16,000 units in 2011 and 18,000 in 2012.

The Mirage is improving as well. It sold the highest amount of units in 2018, with its sales also steadily increasing since it came out in 2015.

I don't know, honestly. Strangely, despite the Outlander Sport being a decade old almost, it's 2018 sales (39,000) was the highest ever. Since 2015, its sales have been increasing, so I guess there's no urgency for it to die. Mind you, it only sold 16,000 units in 2011 and 18,000 in 2012.

The Mirage is improving as well. It sold the highest amount of units in 2018, with its sales also steadily increasing since it came out in 2015.
Those numbers only show how small time they really are in that market.

In Asia, particularly in the ASEAN region, however, they seem to be faring well and like what I have mentioned above before, they offer more models like a pickup truck, as well as a body-on-frame SUV. And not to mention they have a commercial truck division, too, though it is managed by a different corporation.

Releasing a performance saloon with a second-tier model name, generally beloved by JDM fans in a market dominated by crossovers sounds like the absolute worst thing they could do.

VXR
Releasing a performance saloon with a second-tier model name, generally beloved by JDM fans in a market dominated by crossovers sounds like the absolute worst thing they could do.
Really?

I think it would be a great idea, but only if done right. The Galant name has always been used for Mitusbishi's midsize sedan, so a new midsize sedan called Galant would make perfect sense. Personally, a Galant VR-4 should compete with the VW Arteon based on that sketch, but it could have the upper hand by being cheaper, better looking, and have a mild-hybrid powertrain.

Really?

I think it would be a great idea, but only if done right. The Galant name has always been used for Mitusbishi's midsize sedan, so a new midsize sedan called Galant would make perfect sense. Personally, a Galant VR-4 should compete with the VW Arteon based on that sketch, but it could have the upper hand by being cheaper, better looking, and have a mild-hybrid powertrain.
I won't be liking this idea if that Galant is only going to be based on the platform of Nissan's midsize sedans.

Yeah, that Galant would be a flop here. It would do worse than the Chevy SS. It's a bad combo: a vehicle type that doesn't sell well from a manufacturer that doesn't sell well.

Yeah, that Galant would be a flop here. It would do worse than the Chevy SS. It's a bad combo: a vehicle type that doesn't sell well from a manufacturer that doesn't sell well.
Mitsubishi has to start somewhere, though. Also, a mid-size 4WD saloon with a coupe-like roofline isn't exactly comparable with a Chevy SS.

Mitsubishi has to start somewhere, though. Also, a mid-size 4WD saloon with a coupe-like roofline isn't exactly comparable with a Chevy SS.
What they have to do is build a more competent CUV, that's what is going to bring in the sales. As much as I HATE it, that seems to be the best path to go with.

---
With that said, I would love to see a return of the Galant plus a VR-4 model behind it. Though I know it's not going to happen, which is why I hate life sometimes. :grumpy:

A good CUV would be a good start.

I never said they were comparable. But they both have a driver side and passenger side mirror, so they're similar.

A good CUV would be a good start.

I never said they were comparable. But they both have a driver side and passenger side mirror, so they're similar.
Hell, I don't think Mitsubishi even has any incentive to make another good CUV. The age-old Outlander Sport's sales are continuing to go up, while the Eclipse Cross, the brand's first new crossover in a while, has been a complete flop.

Personally, a Galant VR-4 should compete with the VW Arteon based on that sketch, but it could have the upper hand by being cheaper, better looking, and have a mild-hybrid powertrain.

But the Arteon isn't exactly a volume seller, is it?

Mitsubishi is so far away from what they used to be between the 70s and late 90s, it's not even funny at this point. I think their biggest problem is they lost their mojo. Obviously you need volume sellers, but Mitsubishi has from what I know never been in the top tier Toyota, Honda, Nissan segment of sales. But what they lacked in sales they made up with actual automotive great stuff like the first gen turbo Lancer, the Pajero, the Galant VR-4, the crank walk awd DSMs, the GTO, the AWD turbo Lancer Evos and so on. Then they had nothing.

Mitsubishi's problem is that it's not like an athlete having a heart attack and dying. It's like an artist or a performer having a stroke and being reduced to a shadow of former glory.

They now have a cheap car with a new face though
20my-mirage-gls-ltd-thai-front-right-y35-mid-resolution-jpeg-rev-1-1-1574296058.jpeg

Back