Mitsubishi Not Dead Yet: Nissan Takes Control

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 656 comments
If they were clever with the rear door handle, it could pass for a coupe CUV.

It feels like their designing Mitsubishi into the Citroen of Japan.

Mitsubishi will be irrelevant in the US until it brings something that actually garners attention - an actual Eclipse sports car, a Montero offroad SUV (so hot right now), or an Evo sports car. Something, anything, to make anybody care that they still exist.

It's worth noting that Mitsubishi Mirage sales have been increasing in the US year after year, greatly outselling the Eclipse Cross and even the Outlander Sport/ASX. Though it seems to be the new car of choice for tweakers and other shady looking people. Because they'll probably sell one to whoever walks in.

Last edited:
It's worth noting that Mitsubishi Mirage sales have been increasing in the US year after year, greatly outselling the Eclipse Cross and even the Outlander Sport/ASX. Though it seems to be the new car of choice for tweakers and other shady looking people. Because they'll probably sell one to whoever walks in.

Probably urbanites who don't want to use public transportation during the pandemic. IIRC it's the cheapest new car in the US market and it's small enough to work in cities.

All the reviews I've seen of the Mirage are quite unflattering, even going so far as to say the Chevy Spark is a superior vehicle despite the Mirage having better average fuel mileage. That and knowing for a fact that the two Mitsubishi dealers I know of around here have financing options bordering on desperation levels, I can't say I'd expect people to be actively seeking it out other than it's extremely cheap and easy to obtain.

I can't believe Mitsubishi still sell that junk Mirage new in the states, it's worse then a Chinese MG hatchback.

Probably urbanites who don't want to use public transportation during the pandemic. IIRC it's the cheapest new car in the US market and it's small enough to work in cities.
I think the reason Mirage sales have gone up is because most other companies stopped selling their competitive cars. Only the Chevy Spark is competitive on price (which is kind of hilarious actually) and the Hyundai Accent and Kia Rio are $2,000 more.

I think the reason Mirage sales have gone up is because most other companies stopped selling their competitive cars. Only the Chevy Spark is competitive on price (which is kind of hilarious actually) and the Hyundai Accent and Kia Rio are $2,000 more.
Isn’t the Versa still the cheapest car in the US? Or have they finally moved on from the $11,995 base price.

Isn’t the Versa still the cheapest car in the US? Or have they finally moved on from the $11,995 base price.
The new one is almost $15,000, and also I kinda forgot it still exists. The Chevy Spark is actually cheaper than the Mirage now.

Last edited:
Even then, there's the perception that people would rather buy an used car rather than a low-end new car.

Even then, there's the perception that people would rather buy an used car rather than a low-end new car.
Here in the States there's plenty of suburban parents who will buy their college kid a brand new car for "safety" or whatever.

There is also the fact that a base model Yaris weighs in at about $16,500 and has a lot of the amenities that are stripped out of the Mirage's cheapo trim, and also doesn't struggle to get out of its own way when you need to pass a semi on the freeway. If your credit isn't completely in the toilet and you have to have a new car in that range, you may as well just put up the extra $1,000.

Yaris was discontinued this year, so the Buy Here Pay Here lots masquerading as Mitsubishi dealerships should have a big boost.
Ah, so it is. That leaves only the Spark and Versa S in the sub-$16k range, and GM financing even seems to hate people with good credit (in my experience anyway), so Nissan is basically competing with itself for that market segment now. Yay, question mark...?

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread for it. But the first Mitsubishi made under the Nissan ownership. 2022 Outlander's a rebadged Nissan Rogue. Weirdly I don't mind it, but...it's odd.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35521326/2022-mitsubishi-outlander-revealed/
2022-mitsubishi-outlander-101-1613499030.jpg

2022-mitsubishi-outlander-106-1613499008.jpg

2022-mitsubishi-outlander-111-1613499046.jpg

2022-mitsubishi-outlander-128-1613499181.jpg

I like the weirdness. I actually think the rear isn't weird enough. I've been getting a samurai vibe from Mitsubishi for the past long while that no other company has in their design.

Now can you imagine if Mitsu debuted a new Montero with this design style and made it modular enough to accept body modifications like a 4Runner? I think there's plenty of off-road enthusiasts out there who would be interested in a new and still capable Montero. Offer it with the standard gas engine and a diesel and boom, there you go.

You just reminded me that those things will be 25 years old in just a couple years....💡
Actually, I think it might be 25 years old next year. I recall the Legnum VR-4 started production as early as 1997. It might be even earlier than that for all I know.

I have to say, I really quite like that design. Yes, it is a non-luxury compact CUV, the most mundane segment of all, but it is definitely one of the better looking options. Though, if it continues to only sell 20k-30k units per year, like the previous Outlander, then I think its time for Mitsubishi to throw in the towel for the US market.

Though, if it continues to only sell 20k-30k units per year, like the previous Outlander, then I think its time for Mitsubishi to throw in the towel for the US market.
Which highlights the Montero argument once again. Mitsubishi offers nothing desirable. Their most desirable cars, at least considering the current market, would be the Evo and Montero. Every single Evo they could make will sell, and I'd argue the same for the Montero, as long as it's marketed as an offroad machine. They might even be able to snag some of the low-key Land Cruiser market since Toyota is ending the LC in the US.

You can definitely tell they raided the Nissan interior buttons and switches parts bin.
I'm unoffended by Nissan's interiors. All the larger cars I've been in, particularly the Altima, are really comfy, and all the buttons do their jobs. They're boring and not the nicest things in the world but they're a fine rental companion for a month at a time.

Which highlights the Montero argument once again. Mitsubishi offers nothing desirable. Their most desirable cars, at least considering the current market, would be the Evo and Montero. Every single Evo they could make will sell, and I'd argue the same for the Montero, as long as it's marketed as an offroad machine. They might even be able to snag some of the low-key Land Cruiser market since Toyota is ending the LC in the US.
I agree with you, but Nissan probably did not have the resources to develop a Montero. After all, Nissan currently makes no off-road oriented SUV, so it would likely have to be built from scratch.

Last edited:
Back