Mitsubishi Not Dead Yet: Nissan Takes Control

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 656 comments
I don't get why Mitsubishi Don't sell the Triton in the US.
Because there was the Mitsubishi Raider back then, a rebadged Dodge Dakota sold until 2009. They didn't sell the Triton there probably because it's smaller than a Tacoma but it makes me wonder because there was also the old Navara which is still being sold until now.

But the Arteon isn't exactly a volume seller, is it?

Mitsubishi is so far away from what they used to be between the 70s and late 90s, it's not even funny at this point. I think their biggest problem is they lost their mojo. Obviously you need volume sellers, but Mitsubishi has from what I know never been in the top tier Toyota, Honda, Nissan segment of sales. But what they lacked in sales they made up with actual automotive great stuff like the first gen turbo Lancer, the Pajero, the Galant VR-4, the crank walk awd DSMs, the GTO, the AWD turbo Lancer Evos and so on. Then they had nothing.

Mitsubishi's problem is that it's not like an athlete having a heart attack and dying. It's like an artist or a performer having a stroke and being reduced to a shadow of former glory.

They now have a cheap car with a new face though
20my-mirage-gls-ltd-thai-front-right-y35-mid-resolution-jpeg-rev-1-1-1574296058.jpeg
Man, those were the days. :indiff:

Nowadays, the brand seems to be a joke compared to more competitive brands. :guilty:

Atleast in Australia the Triton is far cheaper then any of it's rivals which is why it sells soo well here, it's priced aggressively to the point it's similar price to the Chinese pickups, whos quality is rather eh.

The Triton used to have a crappy front-end though in which it looked similar to a Chinese pickup, until the facelifted model came and became a game changer.

I don't get why Mitsubishi Don't sell the Triton in the US.
For the same reason why Toyota doesn't offer us the Hilux, and Nissan doesn't offer us the Navara. It's too small of a truck for the US market.

Though the Triton does in fact have some sales in the Americas; in Latin America it's rebadged as the RAM 1200.

But unlike alot of pickups in America at this size it has a Cab Chassis option and single cab.

I don't think that Mitsubishi have a Modern Gas engine to give the Triton that would be suitable for the US though.

Last edited:
But unlike alot of pickups in America at this size it has a Cab Chassis option and single cab.

I don't think that Mitisbishi have a Modern Gas engine to give the Triton that would be suitable for the US though.
The Montero before was offered with either 3.0, 3.5 or 3.8 GDI V6 engines. I think they fitted the Triton with one of them in other countries.

The Montero before was offered with either 3.0, 3.5 or 3.8 GDI V6 engines. I think they fitted the Triton with one of them in other countries.
Only the 3L on the Current Pajero/Montero Sport(Same Platform)would be suitable but it isn't that powerful, the other engines haven't been on this platform before and are outdated so it's very unlikely it would be mated together.

That saying it looks as if the SUV version isn't even sold in the US as well which I think is odd as it would be a decent cheap alternative to the 4Runner.

For the same reason why Toyota doesn't offer us the Hilux, and Nissan doesn't offer us the Navara. It's too small of a truck for the US market.

Though the Triton does in fact have some sales in the Americas; in Latin America it's rebadged as the RAM 1200.
That isn't the reason, because the Navara is the same sort of size as the Ranger and a Pickup like the Amarok is Larger then both yet isn't sold, both of these models are based on diesels though like the Hilux and I would say it's more EPA related then anything else, Although the Hilux would never be sold in the US as it's just a Narrower slightly shorter Tacoma on the same platform, they could very easily be one vehicle in the future to save costs.

Last edited:
Only the 3L on the Current Pajero/Montero Sport(Same Platform)would be suitable but it isn't that powerful, the other engines haven't been on this platform before and are outdated so it's very unlikely it would be mated together.

That saying it looks as if the SUV version isn't even sold in the US as well which I think is odd as it would be a decent cheap alternative to the 4Runner.
If compared to the likes of 4.0L V6 engines of the Tacoma and Navara in the US market, then it isn't really appealing at all. That's why they had the Mitsubishi Raider there before like I said, although it's a tad bit larger and also had the V8 engine of the Dakota. So there was no point of bringing the Triton there while it still existed.

If compared to the likes of 4.0L V6 engines of the Tacoma and Navara in the US market, then it isn't really appealing at all. That's why they had the Mitsubishi Raider there before like I said, although it's a tad bit larger and also had the V8 engine of the Dakota. So there was no point of bringing the Triton there while it still existed.
Omg that is Cringe lmao, how could anyone buy that.

That's weird. It's like an Eclipse, Durango, Nitro and Ram, crashed at a 4-way intersection.

Yeah, but what do you expect with an unpopular rebadged model? Rofl.

Is this the first time you actually saw how it looks like? :lol:
Yeah. Been out of the loop of many USA cars since I left 11 years ago.

In my momoeries, this, is a Raider
1988DodgeRaider_01_1200-700x525.jpg

I don't know what that other thing is. ;)

Just looked it up. They've been around a couple years before I left. Seriously, can not recall seeing one of those pick ups. Ever.

Just looked it up. They've been around a couple years before I left. Seriously, can not recall seeing one of those pick ups. Ever.
The new Raiders sold horribly in the US, mainly because the Dakota existed.

Well, that makes it a very rare one, indeed. ;):lol:

And in actual news, Mitsubishi will kill off the diesel engine.

TOKYO -- Mitsubishi Motors has decided to stop developing new diesel engines, Nikkei has learned. The Japanese automaker will eliminate diesel versions of its key car models by the end of 2021 and significantly reduce the size of its existing diesel vehicle business. Diesel engine vehicles are falling out of favor, especially in Europe, with global sales expected to decrease as much as 40% in the next decade or so

Profitable crossovers aside, Mitsubishi's next car in North America should be the next-gen Pajero/Montero. Flagship off-road trucks are not only very profitable but also help bring people into dealerships. A sense of adventure is one thing but actual capability is another. Fans of off-road vehicles already know how capable those older Monteros are and there is room in the market to steal sales from the 4Runner and...the 4Runner. If Mitsu can manage to make that Montero more efficient and with more modern tech than a 4Runner I think they'll find some sales. Also possibly a discount option to the few people who buy Lexus GXs and actually take them off-road.

The problem with Mitsubishi is that they're not the brand that used to produce the flagship SUV they had before, one that had conquered the Dakar rally for 12 times. It's sad to see that they're only focusing on their other SUVs now like the Challenger or Outlander which have no such recognition. Both of these models have platforms which came out not more than 10 years ago, unlike the current platform of the Pajero/Montero that will already turn 14 years next year but might be even more than that if you only consider it as an enhanced version of the 3rd-generation model from 20 years ago. In other words, it just badly needs a refresh, something that would be radical and would really cater in today's era.

The Eclipse Cross is set to receive a much-needed facelift very soon as the prototype has been spotted doing rounds. At the front, it appears to have adopted a Juke-inspired headlight design:
2020-mitsubishi-eclipse-cross-facelift-1.jpg

2020-mitsubishi-eclipse-cross-facelift-4.jpg

The biggest issue with the design of the current car, the flat rear, appears to be receiving some attention too.
2020-mitsubishi-eclipse-cross-facelift-6.jpg

The Outlander and L200 does so well here. I can't believe they would ever want to pull the plug, in the UK at least.

The Outlander and L200 does so well here. I can't believe they would ever want to pull the plug, in the UK at least.
According to the article, it's (apparently, according to an insider) so they don't have to re-engineer them to new emissions regulations.

According to the article, it's (apparently, according to an insider) so they don't have to re-engineer them to new emissions regulations.

I guess it depends now that we are no longer part of the EU whether we will adhere to any of those new regulations, or create our own that may or may not differ.

I guess it depends now that we are no longer part of the EU whether we will adhere to any of those new regulations, or create our own that may or may not differ.
Could be, though I would imagine that even if the UK didn't change regulations the logistical problems involved were deemed not worth it by their beancounters.

Gonna be really brutal for their European dealerships though, having such a sizeable amount of their stock cut out of the equation on such short notice. I dunno how they're expected to survive on just the Mirage and L200 through next year.

Back