Mitsubishi Not Dead Yet: Nissan Takes Control

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 656 comments
I agree with you, but Nissan probably did not have the resources to develop a Montero. After all, Nissan currently makes no off-road oriented SUV, so it would likely have to be built from scratch.
There is a lot of internal discussion about a new Xterra given that there's a lot of public outcry for a new one. (thanks to the Bronco and new Jeep offerings) I mean I am no product planner but they could seriously use the same chassis/drivetrain/interior from the new Frontier and make it happen fairly cheap....

Even though it has no shot at ever being produced in the near future, this still looks interesting. 2023 Lancer EVO XI rendering.

Mitsubishi-Lancer-Evolution-32.jpg

Mitsubishi-Lancer-Evolution-33.jpg

Mitsubishi-Lancer-Evolution-34.jpg

Mitsubishi-Lancer-Evolution-36.jpg

Mitsubishi-Lancer-Evolution-56.jpg

Mitsubishi-Lancer-Evolution-45.jpg

Last edited:
The C-pillar reminds me of BMW's GT line, and the LED headlight strips remind me of the Lynk & Co from WTCC.

I like the front end of both cars a lot but everything after that is pretty derivative. The rear especially is just bits and pieces of Subaru and Kia.

In case you missed it: In September 2021, Mitsubishi stopped "developing car platforms for the Japanese market", instead using Nissan's for them
Honestly that makes a lot of sense, probably for other companies as well. Japan is an extremely competitive market dominated by car platforms that aren't suitable for most of the world and where car ownership becomes less practical and affordable by the day. It's like if you were developing cars for Manhattan, rather than the rest of the United States. It doesn't make sense.

Mitsubishi Mirage: officially dead in Japan, may subsequently be killed in the US and other markets:

The current-gen Mirage is now entering its tenth model year for the US market and sales have averaged about 20k units each year, with no real major year-to-year fluctuations. Rumors float that the Mirage may become a subcompact CUV. If the Mirage dies, the Nissan Versa would be the only sub $20k car left for the US market, after the Chevrolet Spark, Kia Rio, and Hyundai Accent all were discontinued after 2022. Furthermore, it is the only remaining new car in the US to have less than 100hp (has 78hp).

I don't think a pickup is the best idea for them. Nobody who knows Mitsubishi in the US ever thinks of pickup trucks. What we think of are the Montero and Evo and off-road motorsport in general. What they need here right now - what they've needed for years and would've been making money hand over fist - is a new Montero. They need it now because the 4Runner is a dinosaur with no replacement in sight.

Weirdly, because Australians have such a strange taste in pickup truck and SUV packaging and design, the American-market Outlander which they shipped to Australia has a much more appropriate truck-like SUV design than the Australian-market Pajero Sport. But I still think the Pajero Sport would sell here, particularly if it came with a Ralliart package or whatever Mitsu is offering these days. There are people out there buying brand new Lexus GXes specifically to go off-roading and the Pajero Sport offers similar capability for much less money. 4Runner TRD Pros are flying off the shelves at a ridiculous rate. There simply aren't any other competitors in the reasonably priced full-enclosed off-road SUV market.

I don't think a pickup is the best idea for them. Nobody who knows Mitsubishi in the US ever thinks of pickup trucks. What we think of are the Montero and Evo and off-road motorsport in general. What they need here right now - what they've needed for years and would've been making money hand over fist - is a new Montero. They need it now because the 4Runner is a dinosaur with no replacement in sight.

Weirdly, because Australians have such a strange taste in pickup truck and SUV packaging and design, the American-market Outlander which they shipped to Australia has a much more appropriate truck-like SUV design than the Australian-market Pajero Sport. But I still think the Pajero Sport would sell here, particularly if it came with a Ralliart package or whatever Mitsu is offering these days. There are people out there buying brand new Lexus GXes specifically to go off-roading and the Pajero Sport offers similar capability for much less money. 4Runner TRD Pros are flying off the shelves at a ridiculous rate. There simply aren't any other competitors in the reasonably priced full-enclosed off-road SUV market.
Somebody needs to make an affordable alternative to the Mercedes G class and Land Rover Defender. The Wrangler and Bronco are different in that they are a little more off-road niche focused even if the shape is right. A good-sized, boxy off roader with real hardware (including BOF construction) and a fixed roof but with an eye towards style. I feel like Mitsubishi could be really compelling in this segment - an alternative to the sea of 4Runners. I wonder if anyone still owns the Raider IP? That seems like a better name for the NA market than Pajero or Montero that probably nobody under 25ish even remembers.

That allegation is repeated in the lawsuit; he's seeking $500 million in damages to his reputation and $588 million in lost compensation

Nissan should countersue for the same amount for the same reason and just go into court with pictures of the Nissan Sentra and Versa.

Alas. People who can't even get approved for a note on a used Sentra have now lost another option.
They can still get a gently used previous-gen base spec ex-rental fleet Altima pushing 200k miles with mismatched body panels at their friendly local buy-here pay-here. Gets the job done just as well, if not better.

Isn’t the Versa the same price as the Mirage too? There’s always that.

It blows my mind that people would buy these sub-compact cars as a sedan body style. Why?

A way bigger trunk when all the seats are up.

No amount of practicality can offset the severe aesthetic cost of a subcompact sedan.
My question is why the automakers don't simply make the hatchback the same length as the sedan.

Oh wait, that would become a wagon and nobody buys wagons for some reason. :rolleyes:

I'm as shocked as everyone to find that the Chevy Spark was discontinued last year.

Nissan Versa and Kia Rio are the options left for now.

Last edited:
The Rio is selling better than the Versa. The Versa will probably follow shortly if there aren't already plans to discontinue.
It’s honestly insane how badly Versa sales have plummeted in the US. They sold nearly 150k units a year from 2013-2016 then about 75k by 2018, to a scant 13k in 2022. There’s got to be something else to explain such a sharp drop in a relatively short amount of time besides a drop in demand for entry level, subcompact cars. The Rio is hardly faring better though, having sold 16k units in 2022.

Back