Mobile site is a bit broken.

• Thread starter Dan
  • 26 comments

Dan

Premium
United States
United States
The new site design looks great so far, but the main toolbar is stuck in the center of my screen. It's probably due to the fact that I'm using an extremely outdated version of Safari and iOS on my iPhone.

image.jpg

Yeah... that's not supposed to happen.

What version of iOS are you using?

There is no login button on the mobile site for whatever reason. I hope it fixed soon. I got struggled entering here.

Yikes, Dan, I'm not sure if I can even run that iOS version in the simulator! :scared:

Anyways, I have just added an option which will allow you to disable the sticky header; this should resolve the issue for you.

Yeah, sorry. My phone is garbage anyway, and I'm overdue for a new one. I don't want you to have to go through any extra trouble for an extremely rare situation. Maybe it's happening for others on newer versions, who knows?

Wow, 6.0.1? You had the same problem, eh? There's only a few hundred visitors to the site using iOS versions that old, I must say it is quite eye-opening to find out that you guys are actually regulars!

After some research, I believe this problem will affect everyone with iOS 9 or older, which is a little surprising to me and I suspect this will impact more people. I'll have to see if I can find another solution.

I have a similar issue to dan. Except menu and the tool bar thing are lower down then they should be.
IMG_0989.PNG

I'm running iOS 10.3.2

I have a similar issue to dan. Except menu and the tool bar thing are lower down then they should be.
Had you just rotated your phone? Does the issue persist when you refresh the page? What model of iPhone do you have?

Had you just rotated your phone? Does the issue persist when you refresh the page? What model of iPhone do you have?
No I did not just rotate my phone. It's been like this since I logged on this morning.
Yes the issue persists when I refresh.
I have an iPhone 5.

Hm, very strange. I can't replicate this on my own iPhone 5, it displays as normal.

Can anyone else with an iPhone 5 check this and let me know how it looks for them? Also, please report your iOS version, if you can.

Your device, Dylan, seems to be ignoring one of the directives that specifies the page width on mobile devices (notice the extra padding to the left of the GTPlanet logo — that should not be so large on a screen of that size). I don't know how this is possible.

Does the problem occur with the header on the homepage, too? What happens when you log out of your account? If you disable the "sticky header" in your account preferences, does this affect the behavior?

On the homepage everything looks fine.
If I disable sticky it stays at the the top of the page but the menu button still isn't in the right place.
IMG_0992.PNG

Edit: if I log out it works properly but as soon as I log back in, it goes back to being broken.

On the homepage everything looks fine.
If I disable sticky it stays at the the top of the page but the menu button still isn't in the right place.
View attachment 652346
Edit: if I log out it works properly but as soon as I log back in, it goes back to being broken.

IMG_4814.PNG

That's where my menu button is as well, is it not supposed to be there?

That's where my menu button is as well, is it not supposed to be there?
No, it should be next to the magnifying glass, in the top black bar.

I presume you're also using an iPhone 5? Can you confirm that you are running iOS 10.3.2?

No, it should be next to the magnifying glass, in the top black bar.

I presume you're also using an iPhone 5? Can you confirm that you are running iOS 10.3.2?
I have a IPhone 5s, but I'm only on 10.3.1. I can update it in a bit and check if it's any different.

Edit: I just updated to 10.3.2, and It didn't change the menu button location.

Last edited:
I just noticed that when I go on to some threads, the profile/conversations/alerts bar is not where it's supposed to be. It seems like the "Off Topic > Site Support" tabs, or whatever happens to be there is long enough that it kicks the icons out of the row and down a bit. I have an iPhone 6, running iOS 10.3.2.

IMG_6275.PNG

Had you just rotated your phone from landscape to portrait, @GTRacer22? That could break the layout in some scenarios until you refresh or go to another page.

I had that issue and it's fixed now, along with one which had the ads appearing over the alerts (I could still click the buttons, so was willing to accept it). I'd guess you got it, nice speed with the fixes, @Jordan. 👍

No, the blue menu box is still hanging beneath the black header bar, just like in the original picture I posted.
Same for me.
I lost some hair trying to figure this one out, but I think I've got it.

You are both using the "Wide Screen" option, which caused the template to break in an unusual way only on very small screen sizes. I have re-worked the template; please let me know if this solved your problem.

You are both using the "Wide Screen" option, which caused the template to break in an unusual way only on very small screen sizes. I have re-worked the template; please let me know if this solved your problem.
It's fixed now. 👍 You really didn't have to go through all that, I didn't even know it wasn't right to begin with. :D

Last edited:

All good on my end! Thank you!

Back