Modding and restoration discussion

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 702 comments
Either way, what Masgel proposed is impossible in GT2. A car's design/livery is fixed and the only thing that can change are the colors, so unless 2 different cars are identical minus the colors, that can't happen. Clever texturing can produce a somewhat different look on 2 colors, like on the GTR LM racing modification and my CLK GTR's number trickery, but that's it.

Last edited:
is anyone interested in converting the nsx-r LM from the GT test drive disk? :

GT1_TESTDRIVE_NSX_LM_RM.png

because I tried but it didn't work very well

Thanks for the insights, Pez and Dave.
So I had a thought that, at the time, seemed feasible to do. Basically, my thinking was that since we have pretty-much duplicates of certain cars (Zexel and Kure R33 JGTC), to basically unify some of the JGTC models under their respective models (ex. Nissan Skyline R33 JGTC) and just have the liveries as colour options. I already saw this not be an option for the Team Oreca and STP Taisan Vipers, due to mismatching power figures (I think).
The zexel and kure idea sadly wouldnt be possible, the way palettes work is that they get applied to a base image which has all the pixels mapped to a specific palette, meaning that you would end up with a black and red zexel or a blue and white kure with the sponsors staying the same

This error occurs when you have too many colors in your custom image. Reduce the number of colors (8-bit/256 colors images should work, you can reduce the color depth with Photoshop or Paint Pro Shop) and try to convert again

So Amazing thread!

Now want to mod and mod my GT2!

THX for all tips!

I need just a little help,

I'd like to put Corvette C4 rims to Corvette C4 ZR1.

Can you help me please ?

Many thx

Last edited:
I found out that if you make a replay in Epic Turismo (the meme mod) with one of the new cars, and load it in the OG game, the car will turn to an RX-7. I guess this applies to other mods that add new cars too?

I found out that if you make a replay in Epic Turismo (the meme mod) with one of the new cars, and load it in the OG game, the car will turn to an RX-7. I guess this applies to other mods that add new cars too?
The RX-7 A-Spec LM I'm guessing? If so, then yes. A lot of time if the car doesn't exist in the normal game; GT2 will use the RX-7 A-Spec LM as a placeholder car.

View attachment 1260547

Another confirmation of a drag mode in arcade mode. Taken from PAL game.
Known for a while now: they renamed arc_panels.tim to arc_panels_jp.tim but never deleted the original file. The original JP version has early graphics for all languages, with the US graphics being updated before US v1.0 and the EU graphics being replaced before JP v1.1.

Known for a while now: they renamed arc_panels.tim to arc_panels_jp.tim but never deleted the original file. The original JP version has early graphics for all languages, with the US graphics being updated before US v1.0 and the EU graphics being replaced before JP v1.1.
What? When was this discovered? I've never seen this before.

It's been on TCRF for potentially more than a decade, according to the page history.
Yeah, I assumed only in the demos though, not the full game.

EDIT: and I'm seeing the date of when the graphic was added in 2022.

Last edited:
On a related note, on one of the earlier pages of the Searching for Evidence of Hidden Things thread, someone uploaded a save game they had changed the region to and it displayed the drag race option as well. I'll see if I can find the post.

Edit: Here it is. If you scroll a few posts up, he talks about what he did. I haven't tested this save in a VERY long time, but last I recall, it did show the option.

Last edited:
On a related note, on one of the earlier pages of the Searching for Evidence of Hidden Things thread, someone uploaded a save game they had changed the region to and it displayed the drag race option as well. I'll see if I can find the post.

Edit: Here it is. If you scroll a few posts up, he talks about what he did. I haven't tested this save in a VERY long time, but last I recall, it did show the option.
That's merely a side effect of changing the region variable to US in a JP version of the game. It loads an early version of arc_panels_us.tim (which has the Drag Race and Options panels intact) instead of arc_panels_jp.tim. The buttons themselves still take you to the usual menus, it's just the texture that changes.

If you were to do it on a JP v1.1 disc (either via GameShark or Silent's combined disc script), it won't show anything juicy as the graphics had already been updated by that point.

Edit: here's a collage demonstrating the effects:
GT2-JPtoUSConvert.png

Last edited:
The used car lists are preset - the file format contains a fixed list per 'week' per manufacturer. There are no restrictions on which cars appear (other than region filters, e.g. Honda / Acura), the list is attached to a manufacturer just to know which menu page to show up on, and is independent of the manufacturer of the cars on the list.

Unfortunately, from past experimentation the game simply does not load the list for any manufacturers other than those used in the original game, even if a page is created for it.
Thinking about it.. can you make it belong to a certain manufacturer, but show somewhere else? Because, while it would be a lot of work, someone could re-do the lists, and make them have different themes, and place them in the different "cities". One for low-end cars, one for higher-end luxury and sports cars, one for classics, everyone's favorite: Hagerty's or whatever it is called.. similar to Gran Turismo 4, as well as some of Test Drive Unlimited's dealerships. A dealership for race cars could be interesting, could feel like the used cars from GRID.
Either way, what Masgel proposed is impossible in GT2. A car's design/livery is fixed and the only thing that can change are the colors, so unless 2 different cars are identical minus the colors, that can't happen. Clever texturing can produce a somewhat different look on 2 colors, like on the GTR LM racing modification and my CLK GTR's number trickery, but that's it.
Like, it uses more colors than we can see? "This section can be blue or pink, this other section is a separate color in the palette which is blue in one scheme, but white in the other, this one is white in one, pink in the other"? Pretty clever

Thinking about it.. can you make it belong to a certain manufacturer, but show somewhere else?

The used car list widget just shows the list for a single specific manufacturer. The cars on that list don't have to be tunable by the same manufacturer, which is the only other place where a manufacturer ID is relevant. You probably could in theory totally rewrite all of the used car lists to use each manufacturer as a themed group instead and put them on custom pages, but that's a ton of work and without doing it I can't say if it would actually work or not.

Glad to see that the mod is being shared! This is TAIYO, I'm in charge of the in-game logos.
We had been investigating a lot to make sure that the car logos are sourced from brochures, leaflets and other official media.

If you guys have any question, I can relay it to the other devs of the A-SPEC Project.

Back