Modding and restoration discussion

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 702 comments
Please don't mind me double posting, this could become a regular thing. How else are you guys going to know about updates if I only update my one giant post?

Anyway, today's mod:
Mazda RX-7 GT-C LM + Hidden #8 RM skinny night model fix
The GIF only shows the #8, but both are fixed ;)

7l9did59bdg1ag46g.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/file/pvu564ya776kd1d/Mazda_RX-7_GT-C_LM_NightFix_Submaniac93.7z

Yes, I did find how to mod car models basically. HOWEVER! I can't add OR delete anything, therefore let's not get ahead of ourselves. I can only modify existing models.

I did manage to make a batmobile Impreza WRC when I was looking through the data though xD
t3zm85j2hktw8x26g.jpg

x2qih16985cbylb6g.jpg

Oh and also, you all get to pick my one and only fully working custom rim, "dish" and all (which actually isn't a thing, there is no actual polygon making the rim's dish, it's the inside of the tire that's colored, strangely enough. I don't know how they made having one side of the tire black, and one side colored... so basically, wheel's dishes are actually just us being able to see a color around the wheel's texture, which has its corners turned transparent). Try as I might, in over an hour and 30 tries, I couldn't make a second fully working wheel, so there. Back to its rightful owner. (GT1's Legacy Wagon GT's wheels).
Rename to whatever you want to replace, by default this replaces the first BBS wheel.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/3vow5u8o652ua16/bb001--s.tim
4718v4fey8gfdwy6g.jpg

ha60edzzbbraunj6g.jpg
Also, you are not getting my awesome test wheel (because it doesn't exist anymore)
fnghc8rc3pxb0j26g.jpg

Have this fix for Mazda RX-7 GT-C '99 ?

Mazda RX-7 GT-C '99 has a gross bug on the side of the car, showing the wheels.

Last edited:
Edit: Disregard this, I'm an idiot.

How difficult would it be to make machine tests not pass a day of time? I frequently go to machine test just to check parts/swap parts to meet the limits for races just because there's no way to change settings in your garage at home. It's not a big deal if it doesn't bother anyone else, but it's so annoying to me that my days are so much higher than they would be if it only counted my race days. lol Maybe there's an undiscovered gameshark code I'll have to figure out.

Last edited:
How difficult would it be to make machine tests not pass a day of time? I frequently go to machine test just to check parts/swap parts to meet the limits for races just because there's no way to change settings in your garage at home. It's not a big deal if it doesn't bother anyone else, but it's so annoying to me that my days are so much higher than they would be if it only counted my race days. lol Maybe there's an undiscovered gameshark code I'll have to figure out.
Machine tests already don't count towards passed days. Maybe you're thinking of the license tests?

Either way, I don't think that's been figured out yet. My guess is that it's hardcoded, which would make modding a bit less trivial.

Oh. facepalm Well now I feel very dumb. I don't know what I was doing last night that was making my days go up, maybe I joined and accidentally left a race without racing or something. I just remember thinking, I should ask about this on the forums in the morning. lol

Okay, I'm back to doing some modding. More basic stuff though, I just did some color option edits.

First, I added back the scraped yellow color for the DB7 Coupe from the demos. It looks good. 👍
View attachment 763059

I did a color option update to the 1996 Castrol Supra, I applied the blue color option to the final model. I also copy/pasted the black color from MMRivit's palette edit aswell. :D
View attachment 763060 View attachment 763061

I gave the 1997 Camaro SS the scraped colors from the test drive disc, which were the same colors from the Z/28. I of course made the mistake of porting over the beta wheels. That will be fixed, I just went back to edit the wheels as I'm writing this.
View attachment 763062

The 1998 Mustang SVT Cobra now has the same color options as the GT. I wanted to be able to drive a SVT Cobra in green. :P
View attachment 763063

The Lancer Evolution VI GSR now has the scrapped red color from the 1st demo. Luckily, the top of the wing actually stayed red on the final model like the other colors. So, I didn't have to mess with the wing. :D
View attachment 763064
Could you make this Lancer available?

So i fixed the A4 Avant that's in the demos. It's visually untouched besides the reflections, wheel positions and texture, broken brake lights at night and a few polygon sorting issues~
(Also the duplicate green isn't an error by me, it's how the car is hah)
That Audi badge in the back looks massive.
Also love the E36 coupe.

First of all: Formidable work from all of the people involved so far, it's truly impressive how much progress has been made when we only have a near-minimal percentage of people involved in this unlike something like Nintendo modding, the sole fact that a brand new car was made and injected into the game is a huge step forwards. I will be attempting to dip my hands into this when I get the chance as I want to learn about this as well, with my main interest and wishes being altering and adjusting stuff to get it as close and faithful as possible to the source as GT2's limits allow (I know it may sound corny or cheesy but whatever). But for now I will remain in the sidelines as I obviously am not nowhere near you people's levels yet.

Anyway,
something has been bugging me this past week about some arguably small details but I think it's worth mentioning.
The most prominent detail has been that I always felt like something was very off about the RUF Turbo-R model, not really regarding proportions or physics but rather the taillights.
RUFTURBOR-GT2.jpg

I never felt like this kind of cut RUF lights were part of this specific 993 kit so I finally decided to stop being lazy and back myself up with some research and I only found this specific kind of Turbo-R taillights in virtually a 1:10 (or bigger) ratio, leaving me partly confused as to why Polyphony chose this rare kind. From some admittedly shallow digging, it seemed that the Turbo-R could be bought directly from RUF in its full package or as a RUF-certified conversion if you owned an original Porsche 993 Turbo and in both cases you have the same original single Porsche taillight, no matter if it's just a RUF on the inside or if you got the complete visual kit as seen in these examples.
1997-RUF-993-TurboR.jpg
1997-RUF-993-TurboR_3.jpg

My main concerns aren't with why and how this ended in GT2 since the most sensible guess is that they just copy-pasted the taillight structure of the BTR/CTR2 and called it a day since that'd obviously be easier and quicker to meet their deadlines. BUT what I want to know is how much of a hassle would it be to bring this original taillight structure to GT2's Turbo-R model and specially if the game would just crash and burn considering how something as simple as adding a bar on the model could be way too much for the game's limit on polygon count and whatnot, my most educated guess is that it's not as easy to implement as it seems, but I really would want to hear what you more-experienced lot have to say about this (specially because the more I think about this potential error makes my head explode). Have a great day/evening nonetheless and keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Hello everybody.
Today, i did a thing. A 7.5 hour long thing lmao
It's a "tutorial" stream. For those even remotely interested in GT2 car modding, this covers all the basics of making a car for GT2. Although it will be improved upon once i get questions asked i think.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but it's something I've always been curious about: How exactly are the stock sounds for NA and Turbo AI cars labeled in GT2? I know for a lot of games, the sound file for a car will be named so that it corresponds with a particular car (i.e., the BMW M3 GTR engine sound in NFSMW '05 is apparently the engine sound for the cut TVR Cerebra).

So, are those generic AI sounds just a stock sound, or are they supposed to be tied to a certain car(s) in the game?

In GT, every sound has an ID number which is read by the engine part.
In GT1 the game reads a number for the intake/engine sound, and one for the exhaust, both of which aren't linked whatsoever, so i'm guessing there's some table somewhere that says these go to this car etc, but this means any car can use any sound as engine or exhaust that exist in the directory.
In GT2, every sound ID has its variants. Example: 21204.es is the engine, then you have 21204_n0 (stock NA), _n1 (sport NA) _n2 (SemiRace NA), _n3 (Race NA), and the turbo variants: _t0, _t1, _t2, _t3.
All of which are linked by the ID. So starting with GT2, you can't mix and match exuast and engine sounds. Also, the game knows to pick _n or _t depending on if the car is equipped with a turbo or not.
Also GT2 is the only game where evn is a sound doesn't have a NA or T variant, the unused variants have to exist, so PD gave them a simple one-note sound, that we all know as the UFO. GT1 also had this, but the unused sounds actually were usable.
Starting with GT3, and up to GT6 at least, the car sounds still use IDs (in fact, the same ID hierarchy is used all throughout, and i'm not sure it if might still be in use today too tbh) but are separated into folders.
You have a folder for all engine sounds, a folder for stage 0 NA, one for stage 1 NA, etc. And the games still can only pick the same IDs for sounds, so no mix and matching.

I never felt like this kind of cut RUF lights were part of this specific 993 kit so I finally decided to stop being lazy and back myself up with some research and I only found this specific kind of Turbo-R taillights in virtually a 1:10 (or bigger) ratio, leaving me partly confused as to why Polyphony chose this rare kind.
My main concerns aren't with why and how this ended in GT2 since the most sensible guess is that they just copy-pasted the taillight structure of the BTR/CTR2 and called it a day since that'd obviously be easier and quicker to meet their deadlines. BUT what I want to know is how much of a hassle would it be to bring this original taillight structure to GT2's Turbo-R model

There's not really such a thing as a 'standard' Ruf spec, so the cars are usually just whatever the owner wanted. Virtually all of the Rufs in GT2 have some sort of unusual option visually, which makes me suspect that PD simply based each one on a single reference car of that type, and probably one based in Japan. The unused CR4 model for example is a spot on match for the unique spec of the one real car that was built, not just a generic Ruf 964.

In terms of adding the centre reflector, if there's room for a couple of colours in the palette used for that area of the car, it's probably just a case of painting it onto the texture. It shouldn't need any modelling since the car already has the blanking panel textured on.

So..

...with something like the E36, also some other older models available in some in-game regions other than East, and it being possible to add new dealerships...

Is it possible to have any car on a used car list? And is it too much of a hassle? Is it all a preset or is there any randomness to it, like maybe with a fixed "seed". If you wanted, could you add a Nissan into the Subaru UCD, but with it still being tunable in the Nissan dealership, and entering events there?

Because then there could be a "Used Car Dealership" for each region besides East, not necessarily having one per manufactorer there. They would only have the used car option, with only cars that are at least, like, 3 years old, but with focus on older models. The old cars could still be available in their dealerships, but on the USD it would be a great value for your money. But the list should be small, so you won't always easily get the car you want in the color you want at a good price (also easier to create).

Is it possible to have any car on a used car list? And is it too much of a hassle? Is it all a preset or is there any randomness to it, like maybe with a fixed "seed". If you wanted, could you add a Nissan into the Subaru UCD, but with it still being tunable in the Nissan dealership, and entering events there?

Because then there could be a "Used Car Dealership" for each region besides East, not necessarily having one per manufactorer there.

The used car lists are preset - the file format contains a fixed list per 'week' per manufacturer. There are no restrictions on which cars appear (other than region filters, e.g. Honda / Acura), the list is attached to a manufacturer just to know which menu page to show up on, and is independent of the manufacturer of the cars on the list.

Unfortunately, from past experimentation the game simply does not load the list for any manufacturers other than those used in the original game, even if a page is created for it.

Hey modders!
How are paint jobs and liveries handled in the game? Are they treated as separate cars? Or does the game recognize different paints/liveries on a single car? Or are they situation-dependent matters?

Hey modders!
How are paint jobs and liveries handled in the game? Are they treated as separate cars? Or does the game recognize different paints/liveries on a single car? Or are they situation-dependent matters?
Typically different paint jobs and liveries such as those you can cycle through in the car dealerships are the same car just different textures being swapped in and out. However, where a car has a special colour, for example if a car can be bought in 5 colours but you can win it in a different 6th colour not avaialbe at the dealership, that's a seperate car.

How are paint jobs and liveries handled in the game? Are they treated as separate cars? Or does the game recognize different paints/liveries on a single car?

Each car has one texture sheet and up to 16 sets of palettes for that texture. This is sufficient to do different paint colours, but isn't enough to do different livery designs (outside of very clever mapping using limited colours like the Tommykaira M30 GTS-R). Cars with multiple different racing modifications such as the Mk4 Golfs have a whole separate model and texture for each one.

A garage car has both the ID of the model / texture set to use (the 'body' in old hybriding terms, 'RacingModify' in PD terms), and the ID of the set of palettes to use (the car colour).

I'm trying to fix a spelling error in the TVR Dealership menu and fiddle with some other menus, but I'm having an issue with GMCreator: when I try to split gtmenu.dat, I get an error message that reads "Failed with exception Unable to read beyond the end of the stream during split" and, as a result, I can't open the .gm files that were extracted. When I do so, I get another message: "Error GZIP header, first magic byte doesn't match".
Please help me fix this somehow.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insights, Pez and Dave.
So I had a thought that, at the time, seemed feasible to do. Basically, my thinking was that since we have pretty-much duplicates of certain cars (Zexel and Kure R33 JGTC), to basically unify some of the JGTC models under their respective models (ex. Nissan Skyline R33 JGTC) and just have the liveries as colour options. I already saw this not be an option for the Team Oreca and STP Taisan Vipers, due to mismatching power figures (I think).

Last edited:
Thanks for the insights, Pez and Dave.
So I had a thought that, at the time, seemed feasible to do. Basically, my thinking was that since we have pretty-much duplicates of certain cars (Zexel and Kure R33 JGTC), to basically unify some of the JGTC models under their respective models (ex. Nissan Skyline R33 JGTC) and just have the liveries as colour options. I already saw this not be an option for the Team Oreca and STP Taisan Vipers, due to mismatching power figures (I think).
The Team Oreca & STP Taisan Dodge Viper GTS-Rs are actually different cars entirely though. Taisan's Viper is a 1997 or 1998-spec car that has more in common with the Apricot Hill Prize car Viper GTS-R, while the Oreca Viper is accurate to the "First Evolution" model they introduced and sold from 1999 up until around 2001.

Back