Modding and restoration discussion

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 702 comments
58f2b41822.png

https://bit.ly/2BWL0Nk
Very cool. Is this a remake of the Delta ECV?

This model overwrite the white version.. im not a hex expert, would be great if the file had both versions.

Oh, ok. I hope that you will learn how to add and not restore colors. I am too lazy to learn this^^

I usually create a separate file if I'm doing a texture edit to a car and add the data via hex editor to the car file I want the color added to. Just throwing that out there.

I checked some files from alpha3 and solved this but works only in the color choice
menu, not in-race or garage, I think its something about the color code.. thanks.

PD: I have the same problem with the XJR15 mod by subm.

If you add a color choice to a car, altering the CDP/CNP files isn't enough. Multiple other files have to be altered in order to have a properly usable car in-game.
Changing the CDP/CNP allows us to view the additional colors in the dealership, but in order to use them you have to hack the color in via codes (the color value to enter is the one you added in the CDP/CNP, those between 30 and 60hex or whatever)

In order to have fully functional color add-ons each person wanting to add them in will have to manually alter the corresponding files and then rebuild them with pez2k's tools once they'll be released. As mod creators we'll be able to provide the built files, but they'll only work for that car, so in order to have multiple add-on cars each car will have to be manually added by the users.

Yeah, long story short, the colour choices in the menus are defined as a list in the .carinfo files (six interlinked files in total). These assign the name and thumbnail colour to each colour ID for each car, as well as other things like its replay name and which regions it's available in.

hm that's the reason why nobody shares cars with extra
colors because you would need these other files in cumulative form.

I have managed to choose and use the viper gts in red (from pal) but not in garage, but its ok.

yeah. Whenever you want to use an additional color, you have to use a color modifier code and (in my cases) use the values I provide in order to use them. They still won't show the right color in the garage, but they'll be fine in-race.

Yeah, long story short, the colour choices in the menus are defined as a list in the .carinfo files (six interlinked files in total). These assign the name and thumbnail colour to each colour ID for each car, as well as other things like its replay name and which regions it's available in.

hm that's the reason why nobody shares cars with extra
colors because you would need these other files in cumulative form.

I have managed to choose and use the viper gts in red (from pal) but not in garage, but its ok.

It would be awesome for a quick how-to or atleast some info on which files and where to look in them.

It would be awesome for a quick how-to or atleast some info on which files and where to look in them.

There are six interlinked files, which are heavily indexed. If you add a single colour entry you need to update the index of every other car after it in the three main lists, plus the index of every colour name in both languages (likely thousands of edits in total). It's completely infeasible to hand-edit. I wrote tools to do it, but they're not really user-friendly yet. Unfortunately my time has to be split between GT2+ and tooling, but once I do have user-friendly tools they will all be released.

The files are .carinfoa, .carinfoe, .carinfoj, .carcolor, .ccjapanese and .cclatain. There are so many places to edit that I can't explain it off the top of my head, I'd need to re-read my source code.

It actually makes a lot of sense how they did it - they need to store replay names for three different regions, but colour names in two different character sets. They also need to store colour thumbnails, palette IDs and region availability of each car over four regions. It's a lot of data.

Hello everyone,

I'm new here. I recently tried to make "anything" in GT2. I exported car, made changes but now I don't know how to export it back to .GZ (or .CDO). I have the .OBJ with .TGA, I'm missing the way to export it back. What I wanted is to make "anything" on the whole model and try it in-game. Is there any article which explains all that basic stuff about GT2 modding? I'm also interested to make custom in-game music, I'm more experienced with SFX and music than modeling. Thanks :)

Hello everyone,

I'm new here. I recently tried to make "anything" in GT2. I exported car, made changes but now I don't know how to export it back to .GZ (or .CDO). I have the .OBJ with .TGA, I'm missing the way to export it back. What I wanted is to make "anything" on the whole model and try it in-game. Is there any article which explains all that basic stuff about GT2 modding? I'm also interested to make custom in-game music, I'm more experienced with SFX and music than modeling. Thanks :)

There is no tooling or code that will allow used to rebuild .obj back into .cdo models for importing into gt2. That's still awhile before that happens.

And I'm the person on here to have made custom in-race sound mods.
That's the only sound mod you can make besides the engine sounds which can be custom made now.

(I'm waiting on an adaptor for my old hdd, since my old desktop died so I can get the programs and info on how I did it.)

Ah so guys here modify the whole .GZ (or .CDO) files? They're not exporting it to any other format?

.gz is just a gzip archive, similar to .zip files. Tools like 7zip can extract and compress them.

CDO is the car model format, and CDP is the colours and textures.

CDO is only partially understood - vertices, faces and UV mapping are well-known, while wheel positions and z-ordering of faces are roughly figured out, but reflections and shadows are a complete mystery so far. GT2CarViewer only implements the first three points, and is purely a viewer and not an editor. Its OBJ export is just for looking at the models in other programs, it loses a lot of information compared to the original CDO and thus is not possible to convert back. Any CDO mods are done via hex editing only right now.

CDP is mostly known - car colour palettes and texture data are completely mapped out, but there is some remaining mystery data that may be something to do with reflections or illumination. CDP is vaguely similar to Sony's TIM format used in several PS1 games, configured as 4bpp indexed colour with 16 palettes. Which of the palettes is used for each area of the texture is specified by the CDO model that it's applied to. This means that there is no easy way to edit the textures. The best workaround currently is to convert the file to a TIM then use TIM tools to figure out which palette you need to be editing, convert the TIM to an editable format like BMP, use a legacy art suite like Paint Shop Pro 7 that still supports 4bpp colour, then convert back each step at a time.

Maybe I missed that, are there any tutorials for these mods? Or video where someone do this? I think I'm missing a lot of tools, not successful to make .TIM format from extracted game files. Want to retexture car.

I also wanted to mention that "Pizza Hut" released demo disc including GT2 demo, dunno if any unique cut content is included. And one more think. I found "GT2 Press CD" on eBay, very overpriced and looking rare :D . Do someone know about it? It just suprised me :D

Thanks!
Gran-Turismo-2-Press-Disc-CD.jpg

Enter: Mod Showcase #5, where I now will reveal a couple of other color mods I kept to myself for a while. 1. I added scrapped colors to the Mazda RX-7 GT-Turbo and added a red color option to the Spoon Integra Type R.

We already have that press CD. It doesn't have a demo, just press stuff, such as car renders, rack images, photos and such. It's not as interesting as you think if you're not into behind the scenes stuff

We already have that press CD. It doesn't have a demo, just press stuff, such as car renders, rack images, photos and such. It's not as interesting as you think if you're not into behind the scenes stuff

Well I'm am very much into behind the scene aspect of gt. I'm even collecting all the old psx/gamer mags that featured gt and gt2. And do you have a copy of the gt2 press CD? I can't find a copy anywhere!

I don't have a physical copy of it.. if you see what I mean. I forget exactly where but I think i might have found it on archive.org or something.

Back