Modding and restoration discussion

• Thread starter pez2k
  • 701 comments
I think your beginner tutorial would be quite complex.

Its probably much easier to modify the more recent tiles like GT5 and 6 than GT 2. I say that because I understand how to modify those, but I can’t mod GT2. I’ve tried and failed.

hi everyone I didn't know where to ask this question and I do it here .. nothing .. I have a modified ps3 and I have two questions about gt2 ..
1) could i pass gt2 by pezz on the console? the bin file is missing if I am not mistaken and it does not read it ..
2) you can improve the graphics of gt2 (and therefore of all ps1 games) as I do when I play on the emulator?

Provided you have a way to convert the patched game into whatever format the ps3 needs to read it, there should be no issues i think ?
As for improvements, the ps3 offers barely anything, so you'll have what it has. Some screen smoothing and faster-ish loading if i remember right.

Hello everyone.
I'm new to this place.
So, I'm currently working on a mod for GT2, so I need some help.
1) How do I edit the replay names in the .carinfoa file and the names of the cars in the menus?
2) How do I make custom logos for cars?

I will patiently wait for a reply.
Thank you for the help in advance.

Last edited:
A famous cut car being restored (note for the wing borrowed from the Calibra)...
and @pez2k you are allowed to use it on the GT2+, credit will be appreciated.
1638994992915.png

Last edited:
A famous cut car being restored (note for the wing borrowed from the Calibra)...
and @pez2k you are allowed to use it on the GT2+, credit will be appreciated.
Thanks for the offer, but I don't have space left to add any more cars beyond what I have planned.
I just need to make it working with a mix between the CLK Race Car and the AMG C43 physics.
To be honest, the CLK RC physics are most likely just a copy of what they'd set up for the C-Class Touring Car, I don't think they'd need any alteration at all.

Thanks for the offer, but I don't have space left to add any more cars beyond what I have planned.

To be honest, the CLK RC physics are most likely just a copy of what they'd set up for the C-Class Touring Car, I don't think they'd need any alteration at all.
How many 'new' restored cars will be in the next version roughly? can you give some examples of such?

I'm curious... will be some RM's and special colours too?

Last edited:
It's a decent start, keep going ^^

As for adding other people's mods to GT2.1, i have no plans to right now. I don't know all that i'll be including, and i would like to do the majority of the work myself, at least on the graphical side of things.

Last edited:

In that case I could imagine a texture mod for the CLK Race Car to turn it into the C-Class. I've seen a texture mod that turns it into the CLK GTR too. Then again I don't expect you to or care if you add those.

The time has come~

Mercedes CLK GTR 1997
Comes in 4 colors, each with its own number!

Don't ask for a patch with correct specs and such, i'd need to mod a completely vanilla copy of the game in order to provide that, in each different region and revision, sooooooo.... yeah.
I just put the body on top of a clone of the GT-One 98 though i edited what needed to be, such as engine specs, weight and all that jazz.
Engine sound from GT3's Diablo and exhaust sound from GT2's Lotus Elan S4 Sprint, race upgrade.

Files download

Last edited:
The time has come~

Mercedes CLK GTR 1997
Comes in 4 colors, each with its own number!

Don't ask for a patch with correct specs and such, i'd need to mod a completely vanilla copy of the game in order to provide that, in each different region and revision, sooooooo.... yeah.
I just put the body on top of a clone of the GT-One 98 though i edited what needed to be, such as engine specs, weight and all that jazz.
Engine sound from GT3's Diablo and exhaust sound from GT2's Lotus Elan S4 Sprint, race upgrade.

Files download

Awesome to the max. Would getting this into the game entail unpacking and repacking the .vol file or something?

At the very least, yes. If you just replace the body onto an other car, it'll be easy work.
I can provide the files to make the car into the one in the video but it requires a little bit of work (easy if you can follow readme's instructions) using pez's tools (Datasplitter and CarInfoEditor). It'll create and add the car to the game as a new entry. that's the best i can do towards people having a working CLK GTR in their games before 2.1 comes out.

Honestly you folk are so bloody impressive.

Games never die when modders are available to put their effort and passion into new things. Amazing.

i don't know if in 1 2 or 3 years, but when your gt 2.2 is released i will be very very happy to start all over again ... the clk in gt2😱 ... keep churning out more please!!

I'm curious to know how the modders here would summarize this year in modding and it's strides, compared to previous years.

I'm curious to know how the modders here would summarize this year in modding and it's strides, compared to previous years.
As far as GT2 modding goes, I'm just curious when and what the first big breakthrough was.

As far as GT2 modding goes, I'm just curious when and what the first big breakthrough was.

There was mod research back in the 90s, it's pretty much been going since launch, off and on. There was a VOL extractor before GT3 came out, I remember playing with it in the early 2000s and it making no sense to me. There was a guy named Skynyrd who figured out basic model editing, with Gameshark codes to move vertices on cars, then there were big sites full of interesting codes and hybridding information like that of RogsR34UK, where the game was stripmined for information. The first bit of what would one day become GT2+ was me spending time with those codes figuring out how to make the Golf V6 4WD, back before the PS2 launch.

Around 2005-2015 I don't know much about, but at the end of that period adeyblue did a lot of GT2 technical research (for speedrunning I believe), culminating in his tool to not just extract, but repack the VOL. I came across some of the mods being made (generally laborious and highly skilled hex editor work), and the limitations that people were hitting, and was interested for nostalgia's sake. I tried out making the Polo work properly, quickly ran into the fact that it would need tools to do it properly, and... wrote them. I reimplemented a lot of adeyblue's research intending to use it for editing rather than just datamining, and eventually did the same with Leo2236's research on models and textures.

Since adeyblue's repacker, there's been a huge collaborative research effort that has figured out many of the game's file formats, then various people have implemented that in tools to keep going further.

I mean, this year Submaniac created the first fully functional scratch-made car for GT2, which is a massive milestone. The research from commongear into the final critical parts of the car model format cleared the last hurdle in the way of custom models, so that we could incorporate his work into alternative tools and continue it further. That's also about the bulk of what I myself have done this year - finish off some research code for reading and writing the models, include the new discoveries, and include OBJ support.

I think adeyblue's GMCreator was also released this year, which is the first tool to create fully custom menu pages, another big hurdle.

Finally, Silent worked on polishing up the existing 50/60fps Gameshark codes, as well as widescreen and other visual enhancements for emulators, which expanded the game in another direction entirely.

There was mod research back in the 90s, it's pretty much been going since launch, off and on. There was a VOL extractor before GT3 came out, I remember playing with it in the early 2000s and it making no sense to me. There was a guy named Skynyrd who figured out basic model editing, with Gameshark codes to move vertices on cars, then there were big sites full of interesting codes and hybridding information like that of RogsR34UK, where the game was stripmined for information. The first bit of what would one day become GT2+ was me spending time with those codes figuring out how to make the Golf V6 4WD, back before the PS2 launch.

Around 2005-2015 I don't know much about, but at the end of that period adeyblue did a lot of GT2 technical research (for speedrunning I believe), culminating in his tool to not just extract, but repack the VOL. I came across some of the mods being made (generally laborious and highly skilled hex editor work), and the limitations that people were hitting, and was interested for nostalgia's sake. I tried out making the Polo work properly, quickly ran into the fact that it would need tools to do it properly, and... wrote them. I reimplemented a lot of adeyblue's research intending to use it for editing rather than just datamining, and eventually did the same with Leo2236's research on models and textures.

Since adeyblue's repacker, there's been a huge collaborative research effort that has figured out many of the game's file formats, then various people have implemented that in tools to keep going further.

I mean, this year Submaniac created the first fully functional scratch-made car for GT2, which is a massive milestone. The research from commongear into the final critical parts of the car model format cleared the last hurdle in the way of custom models, so that we could incorporate his work into alternative tools and continue it further. That's also about the bulk of what I myself have done this year - finish off some research code for reading and writing the models, include the new discoveries, and include OBJ support.

I think adeyblue's GMCreator was also released this year, which is the first tool to create fully custom menu pages, another big hurdle.

Finally, Silent worked on polishing up the existing 50/60fps Gameshark codes, as well as widescreen and other visual enhancements for emulators, which expanded the game in another direction entirely.
While it's outside of my expertise, it is definitely impressive how far GT2 modding has gotten. I imagine the more recent breakthroughs of custom menus and making all-new cars from scratch would allow for some pretty wild new stuff, assuming you'd be able to fit it all on the disc.

Back