More Than Five Million People Play Forza Each Month

5 mill is impressive but:
- people who pop in and out of FH3 for a Forzathon price probably count towards it
- people who pop in and out of a Forza game to collect loyalty reward credits probably count towards it

I don't play any Forza at the moment but I do both of the above at least once per month so I probably count towards those 5 mill as well.

5 mill is impressive but:
- people who pop in and out of FH3 for a Forzathon price probably count towards it
- people who pop in and out of a Forza game to collect loyalty reward credits probably count towards it

I don't play any Forza at the moment but I do both of the above at least once per month so I probably count towards those 5 mill as well.

If you don't play either, why bother collecting rewards?

If you don't play either, why bother collecting rewards?

Valid question. Answer: I'm a completist. I have every possible car in FH3 including all DLC and I want to keep it that way. So next weekend I will log into FH3 to get that Mini HE so I have all HE cars as well.

I did enjoy the game greatly so don't get me wrong. But once all campaign races are done there isn't that much replay value for me, especially with that aweful rubberbanding. I will probably pick it up again occasionally in 2018 closer to the FH4 release.

It sounds like opening the game up to PC only players was a shrewd move.

Valid question. Answer: I'm a completist. I have every possible car in FH3 including all DLC and I want to keep it that way. So next weekend I will log into FH3 to get that Mini HE so I have all HE cars as well.

I did enjoy the game greatly so don't get me wrong. But once all campaign races are done there isn't that much replay value for me, especially with that aweful rubberbanding. I will probably pick it up again occasionally in 2018 closer to the FH4 release.

If you bother turning their game on every month, you are likely a guaranteed sale of their next product as far as they are concerned.

Is that 5 million unique users or do I count as two users if I play both FH3 and FM6?

It's Forza games, so you'll have FH1-2 and F1-5 warriors.
Last time they used active "unique" users there was user overlap. Since he didn't use that qualifier, this time which is a pretty big thing in the "Praise Remarks" world, I'd say there's an overlap again.
Either way it's a great number, if they have 5 or 3 million peeps turning their game and playing at least once a month almost a year (or two) from release, they got a nice faithful base.

Because if it's not asked, people may believe that it's 5 million unique users.
People who didn't read the article in which the question was also asked, you mean.

When a publisher continues to rely on Monthly Active Users, going far as to include multiple games as well, you know there's nothing remarkable about sales.
It's probably a good thing that Polyphony don't rely on monthly anything. They'd starve to death otherwise.

Way to go Horizon 3 for being the third best selling game in the UK a year after launch, btw. Now that's remarkable.

Because if it's not asked, people may believe that it's 5 million unique users.
Well that's an assumption made on their part. At no point in the article (or source) does it state if it's unique or not.

Greenawalt says the Forza series hits 5 million users a month - that's what we have to go on.

When a publisher continues to rely on Monthly Active Users, going far as to include multiple games as well, you know there's nothing remarkable about sales.

Pretty much this. The only indication of interest are the sales of the latest installment. I hope Forza7 can do well so Turn10 can straight up say how much it sold.

6 reached a million after almost 4 months - which tracked below Forza5 and that one went on to selling 2mln lifetime.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forza-motorsport-6-sells-over-1-million-copies-2/

So Forza6 is most likely below 2mln lifetime.

That's rather lame compared to...... Gran Turismo Series with sales totaling 76.90 million copies worldwide*,
*as of March 2017 :sly::sly::sly::sly::sly::sly:

/s

That's rather lame compared to...... Gran Turismo Series with sales totaling 76.90 million copies worldwide*,
*as of March 2017 :sly::sly::sly::sly::sly::sly:
How long have the respective series been out compared with each other?

[EDIT] Wait a minute - you're comparing Forza 6's sales in four months to every GT game released worldwide since December 1997?

That's rather lame #snip# :sly::sly::sly::sly::sly::sly:

Last edited:
Forza Horizon 3 is nearing 5,000,000 players on its own.
It's a successful title with enough DLC to have mass-market appeal (Hoonigan, Hot Wheels etc.), and is frequently bundled with Xbox One S consoles.

Forza Motorsport 6 is also nearing 5,000,000 players on its own, although that title has been a part of "free weekend" promotions multiple times.

Add Forza Motorsport 5 (free with Gold in September), and the older Forza titles and it's easy to see how the series can hit 5,000,000+ MAU.

Kudos to @Milouse for the stats :cheers:

Forza Horizon 3 is nearing 5,000,000 players on its own.
It's a successful title with enough DLC to have mass-market appeal (Hoonigan, Hot Wheels etc.), and is frequently bundled with Xbox One S consoles.

Forza Motorsport 6 is also nearing 5,000,000 players on its own, although that title has been a part of "free weekend" promotions multiple times.

Add Forza Motorsport 5 (free with Gold in September), and the older Forza titles and it's easy to see how the series can hit 5,000,000+ MAU.

Kudos to @Milouse for the stats :cheers:
IMO, Forza Horizon is now the main franchise. As soon as I saw the FH2 trailer, I knew this franchise will be the new reference.

People who didn't read the article in which the question was also asked, you mean.

It seems to me like that question was added after I had posted it here, since it's almost identical to mine. Either that or my subconsciousness read the article better than my consciousness did, because I don't remember seeing it the first time I read the article. @Brend, was the question there originally?

Well that's an assumption made on their part. At no point in the article (or source) does it state if it's unique or not.

By default, most people probably read "5 million people" or "5 million players" as unique individuals. And if it really is 5 million unique players per month, then that is huge. Which is also why it would be so interesting to know whether that's the case or not.

Apples and oranges. IIRC, people have been really pushing how important player retention is over in the GT Sport section to justify its heavy online focus...

I can't think of a racing franchise that's sold more this generation, though. Not sure how that's unremarkable.

It seems to me like that question was added after I had posted it here, since it's almost identical to mine. Either that or my subconsciousness read the article better than my consciousness did, because I don't remember seeing it the first time I read the article. @Brend, was the question there originally?

The question was in there from the moment the article went live, yes.

Apples and oranges. IIRC, people have been really pushing how important player retention is over in the GT Sport section to justify its heavy online focus...

My general questions is, do developers value player retention? Or are they only concerned about total sales? You might think they only care about the latter because what do they care if you play for 10 minutes or 10 years as long as they got their money.

I invested 1800 driving hours in GT6 and maybe 1/100th that in PCars. Does it really matter? And what if I preordered one and bought the other used?

There's a much deeper analysis of stats that we don't know about, and whether it's important is a mystery.

My general questions is, do developers value player retention? Or are they only concerned about total sales? You might think they only care about the latter because what do they care if you play for 10 minutes or 10 years as long as they got their money.
I would think that if they didn't care about player retention, they probably wouldn't be making DLC for free and for a price, for a year after release, generally.

???
Why do you think that ???
Everybody likes Forza Horizon. It's just the perfect mix between arcade and sim and it knows what it is. Look at Forza 7, the sim aspect tends to be thiner with years. Just take a look at youtube and you'll see that FH is the only popular racing game with many views. Those who like racing games like me will buy FH and FM. Those who are vaguely interested by cars but like the vibe in FH (music, amazing sceneries, nice gameplay and played by many youtubers...) will buy only FH.

It's probably a good thing that Polyphony don't rely on monthly anything. They'd starve to death otherwise.

Citation needed lol

Sure and then you would site a meaningful metric like daily concurrent users. Monthly active users is nothing but a poor tactic used by publishers to hide sales whilst still seem successful to shareholders or public (large timeframes, multiple accounts etc). First time I've seen it being used with multiple games though lol

I can't think of a racing franchise that's sold more this generation, though. Not sure how that's unremarkable.

Still unremarkable considering no other racing franchise has released 5 games this generation. Forza individual title sales are nothing remarkable (1-2 million noted). FH3 being the outlier with 2 million+

FH3 being the outlier with 2 million+
Shouldn't that be closer to 5 million? Unless you're going to claim that every Xbox player had a PC as well...

It's interesting that you're prepared to discount the Forza franchise's high sales this gen because of their higher work rate yet when PD only release one or two games per gen it's "remarkable" that the racing game starved PlayStation owning masses jump on them and gobble them up en masse.

Last edited:
Back