More Young People Watched EVO 2017 Than IndyCar's Iowa Race

It's a huge win for eSports. Now that it's getting prime time coverage, it can compete with other higher up programs. It's only going to get better from there, and makes me wonder if GT Sport will one day have say Nats Cup or Constructor Cup races live.

It's a huge win for eSports. Now that it's getting prime time coverage, it can compete with other higher up programs. It's only going to get better from there, and makes me wonder if GT Sport will one day have say Nats Cup or Constructor Cup races live.
The quick fire nature of EVO makes it very fun to watch too.

I tuned in to a few matches of Smash Bros because I knew it wouldn't require a lot of time. Sim racing may fail to pull in casual viewers like actual motorsport does at times. Still though, it would be great to see a consistent slot somewhere like ESPN 2 for sim racing.

I think over the coming years we will see an explosion of E-Sports on all kinds of communicationchannels. We are reaching a level where it almost becomes nice to watch and follow. We are not there yet but the next generation kind provide the final leap to the grand public. I've tried a couple of times to watch but it can't keep me interested due to the buggy connections, horrible audio and average image quality. GTS, PCARS2 and FM7 are all going into this direction of E-Sports and it will be a matter of a couple of years before you can buy your merchandise from your favorite E-Sport team / Driver. Sounds really strange though when reading that back....

I'm not surprised. Fighting games are a cornerstone of the modern gaming industry, SSB and Street Fighter top amongst the genre, people like fights because they're relatively quick and easy to follow, and those two games are TV friendly. Racing is a niche, races take longer than most young people want to pay attention to, and they can't easily go do it themselves.

Still, it's something different. It and DRL have started giving me more reason not to cancel my TV subscription.

We are reaching a level where it almost becomes nice to watch and follow.
Hell I don't even have a console system anymore and my gaming PC gets used for everything but gaming because I spend way too much time watching other people play games on YouTube. Somehow I get more enjoyment out of watching other people play now. Must be getting old. :P

Racing games could be okay for watching if it's not super long laps...

The quick fire nature of EVO makes it very fun to watch too.

I tuned in to a few matches of Smash Bros because I knew it wouldn't require a lot of time.

Smash Bros is actually one of the slower games compared to the rest.

Last edited:
I knew when Evo was back in February. I didn't even know there was an IRL race last weekend, and I generally try to follow IRL.

Having watched CART As a child I can say this doesn't surprise me a bit. Indy struggled along with CART, it's just not ever been a big market like NASCAR. A lot of Americans only watch baseball or football, a few might watch the Indy 500 or Daytona. Certainly an IndyCar race is a good deal to attend, cheaper than.......A long hot NASCAR race. I remember when cart series hit 240 mph at Michigan and California, maybe it will go back to those days where sex was safe and u know....:sly:

I myself do not follow motorsports, but if I were to be a spectator of racing games, I imagine it would be very exciting to watch shorter races, maybe 4-8-minutes per.... With a screen displaying each driver's view for the audience, and one overall camera view.

I'd be down to watch play competitively race in Rally games, except everyone races at the same time (no contact/ghost mode, seen in DiRT games).

EVO 2017 is to fighting games like the Indy 500 is to Indycar. Clickbaiting much?
Literally specifies the Iowa race in the title. Literally makes this point in the body of the article:

EVO 2017 is generally considered to be one of esports’ largest calendar events. Fighting games naturally lend themselves to the format and for years, gamers have tuned in to watch the championships. Its triumph in broadcast figures is impressive but looking at the competition, we must maintain perspective.

IndyCar’s Iowa race is only the 11th in a 17 event calendar. The Verizon IndyCar series is far from reaching a climax and this could explain a discrepancy in figures. The comparison is between the biggest fighting esports final of the year and a middling race in the open-wheeler discipline.

So either, the 'clickbait' didn't work enough and you didn't actually read the article or you don't understand what clickbait actually is.

Literally specifies the Iowa race in the title. Literally makes this point in the body of the article:

So either, the 'clickbait' didn't work enough and you didn't actually read the article or you don't understand what clickbait actually is.

Fact of the matter is of course it will gain more viewers over the course of a long IndyCar season. Though what he refers to is that EVO is the biggest fighting game spectacle of the year, as compared to an under marketed in the smack dab middle of the schedule race

Fact of the matter is of course it will gain more viewers over the course of a long IndyCar season. Though what he refers to is that EVO is the biggest fighting game spectacle of the year, as compared to an under marketed in the smack dab middle of the schedule race
As stated in the previous post, of course. I'm glad its common knowledge for you. It may not be for everyone else.

Back