Morse code on Nike One 2022

• Thread starter Freq
  • 235 comments
Prior to CAD I went through a number of concept phases, as you can see here, until we figured out what defines a Nike car with a little help from Kaz.

1. The first sketch was a very American long nose roadster combined with some athletic shoe inspiration.
2. The second sketch was also shoe inspired, but looking at an exposed technology story with 360 degree's of design.
3. The third was moving in the right direction, by looking at how Nike would make a minimzed vehicle like a pair of high end sprinter's shoes.
4. The fourth sketch defined the direction once we had decided on the unique driver interaction, the cross between a motorcycle and gym equipment, which would force the driver/athlete to train at a higher physical and mental state to make the most of the vehicle. The unique wheel layout was inspired by a sprinters stance in the gates. See the ONE-POSTER2 image.

Once the direction and concept were defined I used www.Rhino3D.com to develop the Class-A surfaces.

"The shameless self promotion tour rolls on!" Enjoy, I'm out again. Phil

Attachments

• ONE-RHINO1.jpg
    ONE-RHINO1.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 709
  • ONE-RHINO2.jpg
    ONE-RHINO2.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 425
  • ONE-RHINO3.jpg
    ONE-RHINO3.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 386
  • ONE-SKETCH1.jpg
    ONE-SKETCH1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 847
  • ONE-SKETCH2.jpg
    ONE-SKETCH2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 770
  • ONE-SKETCH3.jpg
    ONE-SKETCH3.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 654
  • ONE-SKETCH4.jpg
    ONE-SKETCH4.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 675
  • ONE-POSTER2.jpg
    ONE-POSTER2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 915
How long did it take to complete the whole process (initial conception to finished render)?

I wonder how much Nike paid to have that car in GT4.

All the special cars are pointless - simply because you can't compete with them. Hell - you could use the "hidden" easter egg cars in GT3 - that made them a worth while find.

How hard would it have been to simply be able to compete with the "special cars" - just for fun.

The Model T, Daimler, Catherham, Nike etc... the game is a DRIVING SIMULATOR - not a marketing forum. The novely of tghe "special cars" is worn off the thrid ime you use them.

maybe its his initials? his first name IS phil afterall, so it could be PLU.
True, and I thought about this, but his handle is "PFD", and based on his URL, his last name is "Frank", though this could also be the name of his 'partner in crime'. Just a thought.

For those that asked about parts and tuning for the Nike One 2022, here's what you can get. For parts, you can only get tires and the frame reshaping gismo. For tuning, all you can change are the driving aids (TCS and ASM), and the front-to-back weight balance. While I wouldn't call it understeer, this thing has massive turning power. Acceleration is pretty good, and makes for a fun rally car with the ASM and TCS turned off.

http://freq.auriplane.net/files/pictures/GT4/IMG0108.JPG

I think it's awesome you stopped in here Phil. I'm into Fords, so I've probably drooled over a few of the saleens you've helped design (even the focus). I love the design process, especially with cars. Wish I had the talent to do it, but I'm better off admiring from a distance/enjoying the end product. Keep up the awesome designs.

1. The tires should read .--. ..-. -.. "pfd", it might be reversed due to the way I modeled the tires, it was a late add. http://www.babbage.demon.co.uk/morseabc.html
2. The process took a number of months of part time work.
3. I am just as bummed you can't compete with the car, this is due to the high number of polygons to make up the car, like some of the open cockpit cars. When I leanrned this I quickly designed a ONE-R that would have fewer polygons that you could race, but it was to late in the process.
4. One other cool note, we had the the Japanese GT Touring Car Champion driver, Tetsu Motoyama, "tune" the Nike ONE, in his hands it will actually lap most tracks faster than the Saleen S7, my other baby.
5. My buddies Takuya and Albert were instumental in making thiis whole thing happen, so I give thanks to them.

Phil

nice car phil ! i also do 3d and design work in lightwave/maya = )

also, aside from being very fun to drive the 'Ring in, the ONE completely kills every other car in arcade mode rally 👍

Whats the actual top speed on the thing in game?
160MPH.

Well, Phil, you've become quite popular thanks to that easter egg you put in there. Is there anything else you've added to cars that might be of interest?

GTRacer4
Gran Turismo has,in essence, become a billboard

Yeah, it's funny when Kaz talks about how manufacturers are requested their cars to be in GT4/5. He thinks it's so great, but hopefully GT5 doesn't become a marketing tool.

Thanks for all the great inside news Mr. Frank. I just got this idea, maybe you should contact Hotwheels to include your Nike ONE to their next First Editions lineup. It's gonna be awesome. Just my crazy idea. :)

jessekatianda
Thanks for all the great inside news Mr. Frank. I just got this idea, maybe you should contact Hotwheels to include your Nike ONE to their next First Editions lineup. It's gonna be awesome. Just my crazy idea. :)

He would have to get both PD and Nike to agree to that.

Here's a thought:

The "write-up" on the car mentions training.. and the car being "tuned"..

Is it possible that, the more you drive it, the faster it becomes? i.e. taking it for a lot of hotlaps on the 'Ring or Test Course might eventually let it hit the 230mph mark?

pfd
4. One other cool note, we had the the Japanese GT Touring Car Champion driver, Tetsu Motoyama, "tune" the Nike ONE, in his hands it will actually lap most tracks faster than the Saleen S7, my other baby.
Phil

Wow, you designed the Saleen S7? I loved watching it in the ALMS. Beautiful car. Did the design turn out close to your original vision? I imagine a unique project like that would be subject to less dilution by outside forces.

Awesome little Easter Egg Phil! Don't suppose you have anything similar on the S7 do you? :lol: The Saleen is definitely one of my favorite supercars, beautiful design.

It's great to see that you could stop by. Being a designer, you must be very busy. Will you be staying? :D

Just a thought - Since you personally know Kaz, do you think you could drag him in here as well? 💡 He could answer a ton of questions...

Phil, thanks a ton! It's so impressive that you would take the time to respond and give us so much great info. Very good design too, I think it's a beautiful car.
And the Saleen S7 too? Another beauty. Thanks again.

I agree with 4800. You deserve praise for how awesome you've been to us. You could have just ignored the e-mail that was sent, or just ignored this thread. Even worse, you could have been a real jackass. But no, you gave us insight that we could never think of. Stories, sketches, renders... My hat's off to you, man.

Just me doing a little drifting in the One. I think its a really fun car to drive and I also think its really cool that Phil took the time to talk to us and tell us more about it, thanks alot.

6122055737.jpg

nest thing he knows he'd gonna be getting offers, people requesting their name in morse on their favorite car.

speaking of which, next time you see a Caterham 7 come by your way...

Wow, it's great to learn more about the Nike One. Awesome that you stopped by here Phil.

Edit: I was wondering, would you mind sharing a render of how the ONE-R would of looked like?

It is seriously heartening to see that the man at the center of this intriguing project is so very personable, and so readily shares his experiences.

Thanks, Phil.

OfUnknownOrgin
nest thing he knows he'd gonna be getting offers, people requesting their name in morse on their favorite car.

speaking of which, next time you see a Caterham 7 come by your way...

..and this guy's posted like 94 times.

Note that this errr... thing will be delivered with a bagfull of kneecaps and shinbones.

Knowing how Nike treats some of the guys making shoes for him, I now understand why they designed a car with pedals. The rear-fender is especially designed for the guy with a whip shouting "tally-hooo" at you when you're about to overtake.

(sorry 'bout that, Phil : nothing to do with you. Erase the logo, and this vehicle is OK for me. We need people re-thinking our present).

Back