Most Overrated games?

• Thread starter Ellis
  • 281 comments
Ellis
There is something about Day Z that makes me not want to get it. I just keep thinking if i get it, it will let me down because i would not have anyone i actually know play it.

Wait for Arma III and Day Z to release as a mod to it then. Should be complete at that point and with a much better engine (apparently)

There is something about Day Z that makes me not want to get it. I just keep thinking if i get it, it will let me down because i would not have anyone i actually know play it.

That's kind of how I felt until I played a few hours with Ibo, now there's a group which seems to be growing in number quite rapidly here. Then again Arma II is a great game (if you look past the admittedly long list of flaws) on it's own merit so you might even end up preferring that, but it's quite hardcore.

Bioshock. I just knew before it was released this thing was WAY over hyped. What I saw from the pre-release videos didn't look anything special. Though, the story looked very interesting. I was 100% correct. The gameplay was more boring that church. A typical 'enter a room; clear a room' video game. But, the story was great. One of the best next to MGS.

Bioshock. I just knew before it was released this thing was WAY over hyped. What I saw from the pre-release videos didn't look anything special. Though, the story looked very interesting. I was 100% correct. The gameplay was more boring that church. A typical 'enter a room; clear a room' video game. But, the story was great. One of the best next to MGS.

I've never really seen BioShock get much praise for its mechanics, so not many people would disagree with you on that front. Really, though, I don't think a game should have to have some unique and revolutionary mechanic to put it in contention as one of the greatest games ever (I consider BioShock to be a member of that echelon of gaming); as long as the mechanics work and don't take away from the storytelling aspect, I'm happy.

I agree that BioShock wasn't anythign special when it comes to gameplay. Just another cookie-cutter FPS. The story and setting was what it got so much praise for... But I, personally, still didn't like it all that much. Granted, I do consider it to be one of the better FPS games I've played, but I can agree that it's still overrated.

Thought of another one. Left 4 Dead. I mean really, what is the gameplay there? Kill zombies, rinse and repeat the whole game.

Call of Duty. While the earlier ones are classics, the series got absurdly repetitive after COD 4. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Black Ops 2's name gets changed to Black Ops 1.5!

I can tell there is a general lack of appreciation for call of duty nowadays :lol: Instead of black ops 2 it should be call of duty 4.5

Thought of another one. Left 4 Dead. I mean really, what is the gameplay there? Kill zombies, rinse and repeat the whole game.

Its actually more for co-operative gameplay than anything else. So if you haven't got friends to play it with, it pales extremely quickly.

There are supposedly some strategic gameplay as well, although I hadn't really seen any.

That seems to be the go to response from people and I have played it with friends. I still got very bored of doing the same thing over and over.

Yes, I do agree with your opinion. It is a bit dull at times, just killing the same thing all the time, apart from the Beast thing and the Witches. Not really my type of game however.

Can I join the bandwagon? I think Call of Duty games are overhyped, made by recycling machines (recycle the same game every year), and directed by Michael Bay. Boring, repetitive, generic, nothing special. At all.

The most recent one i could think of would be I AM ALIVE, there was so much hype in 2008, and i don't know what happened but i tried out the demo, a month back and was dissapointed. The first trailer made it seem pretty epic, similar to last of us, but that was all.

The first few call of duty games were not all that bad, when compared to other FPS in those years. When i first saw COD modern warfare, i liked it, its just that after that they never seem to try anything different, even the scale and gameplay is more or less still the same like in modern warfare.

Last edited:
+1,000
I AM ALIVE looked so good in the trailers and the concept. I didn't even finish the demo it was so disappointing. The gameplay is linear a 🤬, yet Ubisoft try to make it seem "open-world" (i.e. mini-map, a bit of free-roam). Sandbox my ass :irked:

Call of Duty games are fun, but the hype that goes into each one is ridiculous. I think that a way to improve them would be to spend two years developing the games rather than one. Unfortunately, Activision is not going to do that as they are too busy milking money from, "the Madden of FPS games".

They do spend two years making each game. They have alternating developers: Infinity Ward and Treyarch.

+1,000
I AM ALIVE looked so good in the trailers and the concept. I didn't even finish the demo it was so disappointing. The gameplay is linear a 🤬, yet Ubisoft try to make it seem "open-world" (i.e. mini-map, a bit of free-roam). Sandbox my ass :irked:

:lol: exactly, oh well at least the last of us looks pretty good EPIC

I'm gonna add Skyrim to the list, and fallout new Vegas. Bethesda release awesome games before these and cracked under the pressure, then messed it all up.

I'm sure it has been mentioned before but, can I say Gran Turismo 5?

Really disappointed when it finally came out, and after waiting for 5 years!

CoD, especially as its hypocrisy that developers slag of the Koei Warriors series for same thing each time... when CoD is...

Furinkazen
CoD, especially as its hypocrisy that developers slag of the Koei Warriors series for same thing each time... when CoD is...

Has anyone else noticed this.

Prototype Alex Mercer.

Cod BO Alec Mercer.

No difference, huh?

As an ArmA II fan and avid player since times before DayZ I have to say that DayZ is highly overrated, not because of being in alpha stages or for being highly glitchy(which is something that is inherit from ArmA II) but for being generally ... bad.

The concept is good but the gameplay and how it plays is not suited for that engine(ArmA II is highly flexible, but is orientated to shooting and ballistics simulation, not CQC situations like the ones featured on DayZ). DayZ heavily relies on cooperative gameplay, but is really hard to get into(Lacks a proper text bsed tutorial, or at least basic info on how some things work within the game, sure the lack of this info helps to create a more "exploratory" environment, but the most basic information in how basic stuff works is skipped for no apparent reason), most of the most basic features(like the inventory system) simply doesn't work, controls are even more complicated than the vanilla game (however this is mostly ArmA II normal layout, which is simple not suited for the kind of gameplay that DayZ is build for). The fact that people completely dismisses the vanilla game just to play it is also annoying, because as I conceive it the game itself (ArmA II: Combined Ops) it's pretty damn good for what it is, and is not just a base for DayZ. Other mods(ACE and I-44) have demonstrated even further potential than DayZ itself.

I'm still holding some hope that by playing DayZ with a group or clan might indeed improve the experience, but how I see is just a mod that overshadows the great game that ArmA II really is.

Oh, I would also like to add basically every Final Fantasy game after the PS1 era to the list.

Have you played X, out of interest? I've hated everything after X-2 which was also not brilliant but X is one of my all time favourite games. The last of the 'classic' FF games in terms of gameplay, IMO. None of this active battle nonsense.

Back