Most powerful fully tuned Mazda Miata NA?

• Thread starter Thomasss95
  • 12 comments
Netherlands
The Netherlands
Today I was playing around with some NA Miatas and I noticed that some have a higher amount of horsepower when fully tuned than others... Does anyone know which one has the most power when fully tuned?

Not off hand. But your best bet is just with the highest power from the factory and go from there. You may find that the highest power is not the best handling one tho.

If I remember correctly the Roadster NC '07 was the killer in a seasonal race a while back. Other than a race/touring car, I think that's your best bet. And it's a cheap one to buy. Good luck
Although, I agree that the '07 is a great choice for any Miata, I think he is looking for first generation NA's. I would suggest the same as @Otaliema with which ever versions have the highest power, I would also suggest looking at the early FITT Miata event that @Motor City Hami organized. The easiest way to find that would be checking out the FITT Records and Archives. 👍

Although, I agree that the '07 is a great choice for any Miata, I think he is looking for first generation NA's. I would suggest the same as @Otaliema with which ever versions have the highest power, I would also suggest looking at the early FITT Miata event that @Motor City Hami organized. The easiest way to find that would be checking out the FITT Records and Archives. 👍
The class that used the NA cars was hp limited in that event iirc.
The highest power is going to be the one with the one with the highest stock power I think. But they are all with in 10hp stock so it's a moot point really.
Really the only reason to go max power is high speed tracks where agility is not as important. Miata's are agility cars imo.

hsv
I think he's referring to an actual NA Miata, not a naturally aspirated one.
I believe you are correct.
As for the NA version I have no idea which one will have the highest power fully upgraded. So I will stand by my statement that the one with the highest stock power will prolly have the highest tuned power.

I would go with max torque over max power, get the wheels broke free faster that way. Then it won't matter if you have 175 or 375 hp they will spin just the same. I think, @DolHaus or @shmogt could answer that better.

Thanks for the tip! I will have a look which NA has the highest power stock and buy that one. Also a supercharger helps a lot with initiating wheel spin, better than a turbo in my opinion.

It depends on the difference really, are we talking 2hp or 20hp? 0.5 kgfm or 5kgfm? Unless the difference is significant then you won't notice the difference, try them both and see which one feels better, thats all it comes down to in the end. As long as you've got enough power to break traction then power delivery is more important than peak output, only max the car if it helps rather than doing it as a standard practice - more is not always more.

When choosing turbo or supercharger I'd go for the one that gave me the best power curve, I want smooth progression of torque/bhp across the map rather than big dramatic peaks as it will be easier to balance the throttle at any RPM rather than hitting a sudden power spike and unbalancing the car.

Back