• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 556 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
125. Moto 2. MotoGP. You know what time it is- another season of MotoGP racing! It's the pinnacle of motorbike racing with some of the very best in the business on some of the world's toughest race courses. This is my contribution to this upcoming season of action. Here's the 2011 schedule:

MotoGP 2011 Season Calendar:
* Mar. 20 - Qatar Grand Prix (Losail)
* Apr. 3 - Spanish Grand Prix (Jerez)
* Apr. 24 - Japanese Grand Prix (Twin Ring Motegi)
* May 1 - Portuguese Grand Prix (Estoril)
* May 15 - French Grand Prix (Bugatti Circuit at Le Mans)
* June 5 - Catalunya Grand Prix (Catalunya)
* June 12 - British Grand Prix (Silverstone)
* June 25 - Dutch Grand Prix (Assen)
* July 3 - Italian Grand Prix (Mugello)
* July 17 - German Grand Prix (Sachsenring)
* July 24 - United States Grand Prix (Laguna Seca)
* Aug. 14 - Czech Grand Prix (Brno)
* Aug. 28 - Indianapolis Grand Prix (Indianapolis Motor Speedway)
* Sep. 4 - San Marino Grand Prix (Imola)
* Sep. 18 - Aragon Grand Prix (Motorland Aragon)
* Oct. 16 - Australian Grand Prix (Phillip Island)
* Oct. 23 - Malaysian Grand Prix (Sepang)
* Nov. 11 - Valencia Grand Prix (Valencia (Ricardo Tormo Circuit))

My best wishes and best of luck goes out to all racers in all classes of MotoGP racing. Go kick some two-wheel butt on the track! Go put on a great show (like always) this season!

Last edited:
Last season was a bit of a let down for me, so hopefully the on-track action picks up a bit more this season. Yamaha had the upper hand at almost every track in 2010, I'd like to see at least the Honda and Ducati manufacturer teams equal with them this year. If Suzuki could catch up with the leading teams too (doubtful), that would be fantastic.

I saw The Speed Report on Sunday night with notes on the new Ducati. I hear Ducati's newer bike is supposed to be overall better and more responsive for riders. I've always been a fan of Ducati motorcycles (in addition to Honda and Yamaha). I think the title may likely come down to Honda and Ducati. Maybe even Honda and Yamaha.

I think it will be a three way battle between Lorenzo, Pedrosa and either Stoner or Rossi. I suspect Stoner should be even better on the Honda since it doesn't have the front end vagueness problems that the Ducati had the past couple of years. If you look at his crashes (and there are many), they are all as a rule low-sides, and often in relatively slow corners. If you've got little front-end feeling, low-sides are the obvious result...

If Rossi is healthy and Pedrosa can avoid breaking a bone, then both should mount a really strong challenge for the title. I love Ben Spies so I hope he can bring the MotoGP title back to the States, but I think he will need a year on the factory bike to start winning races.

125. Moto 2. MotoGP. You know what time it is- another season of MotoGP racing! It's the pinnacle of motorbike racing with some of the very best in the business on some of the world's toughest race courses. This is my contribution to this upcoming season of action. Here's the 2011 schedule:

MotoGP 2011 Season Calendar:
* Mar. 20 - Qatar Grand Prix (Losail)
* Apr. 3 - Spanish Grand Prix (Jerez)
* Apr. 24 - Japanese Grand Prix (Twin Ring Motegi)
* May 1 - Portuguese Grand Prix (Estoril)
* May 15 - French Grand Prix (Bugatti Circuit at Le Mans)
* June 5 - Catalunya Grand Prix (Catalunya)
* June 12 - British Grand Prix (Silverstone)
* June 25 - Dutch Grand Prix (Assen)
* July 3 - Italian Grand Prix (Mugello)
* July 17 - German Grand Prix (Sachsenring)
* July 24 - United States Grand Prix (Laguna Seca)
* Aug. 14 - Czech Grand Prix (Brno)
* Aug. 28 - Indianapolis Grand Prix (Indianapolis Motor Speedway)
* Sep. 4 - San Marino Grand Prix (Imola)
* Sep. 18 - Aragon Grand Prix (Motorland Aragon)
* Oct. 16 - Australian Grand Prix (Phillip Island)
* Oct. 23 - Malaysian Grand Prix (Sepang)
* Nov. 11 - Valencia Grand Prix (Valencia (Ricardo Tormo Circuit))

My best wishes and best of luck goes out to all racers in all classes of MotoGP racing. Go kick some two-wheel butt on the track! Go put on a great show (like always) this season!

Corrected! :dopey: Can't wait to be there on August 26! :D

The schedule has now been edited. I still can't wait to see the 2011 season of MotoGP kick off proper.

Good to see they're keeping Aragon after it subbed for balatonring. Really enjoyed that circuit and the races.

I think the title battle will be epic this year. With Lorenzo, Rossi, Pedrosa, Stoner, possibly Hayden. Spies may be in it for a while but will eventually drop out of the title battle. He could win races for sure.

On another note, I'll be following Kenan Sofouglu in the moto 2 category very closely. He shocked the paddock in estoril. Who can forget the sight of him leading his first gp in moto2, going down the straight trying to punch his handlebar back in to shape? What made it even more special for me was that he was riding what would have been Shoya Tomizawa's bike.

RIP Shoya...

Vale puts in 25 Laps at Misano on a Ducati to Test his Shoulder not the Bike :lol:

Reports are not Encourging though as he is quoted as saying the Shoulder is Still Weak and Painfull

Not long till the Sepang Test and then we'll see all the Bikes and Riders out in 2011 Livery and the First chance to see how things will go .

Hopefully Rossi will be Fitter as time goes on the thought of a Proper Title Battle with 3 Makes of Bikes and the Best Riders on Each would make 2011 a Season to look forward too . Without Rossi fully fit another season like last year will be rather boring . Stoner and Lorenzo will be the ones to Watch

Pics from Misano

3-1.jpg

2-2.jpg

5-2.jpg

Wow, that looks stunning.

I really hope his shoulder is healed by the start of the season

I can't wait to see this year's match up. Vale on Ducati against Lorenzo and Pedrosa.

I'm curious to see whether Vale will be able to get Ducati to the top like he did with Honda and especially with Yamaha. Let's hope he'll be 100% fit for the 1st round!

Am I mistaken or are the engines in MotoGP going to be 1000cc again?

I can't wait to see this year's match up. Vale on Ducati against Lorenzo and Pedrosa.

I'm curious to see whether Vale will be able to get Ducati to the top like he did with Honda and especially with Yamaha. Let's hope he'll be 100% fit for the 1st round!

Am I mistaken or are the engines in MotoGP going to be 1000cc again?

1000cc in 2012 so this year it'll be the small slow old 800cc ones for one last time :lol:

Subscribed to the new 2011 listings. Woot
I can't wait for the new season.
Thanks for the link Neal.

Sepang test session 1 report 👍

MotoGP.com
lorernzo.slideshow.jpg

After more than two months of no on-track action the MotoGP riders were back doing what they do best on Tuesday as the first official Test of 2011 began at the Sepang International Circuit. Not wasting any time in getting their pre-season Testing workload underway, all 17 MotoGP riders as well as three factory Test riders (two from Yamaha, one from HRC) were on track shortly after 10am local time.

Leading the early pace at the top of the timesheet after the opening half of day one was Repsol Honda rider Dani Pedrosa, who despite still tentatively nursing his recovering collarbone was fastest with a best lap of 2'02.306. That placed the Spaniard just over a tenth of a second ahead of compatriot and sole Suzuki rider Álvaro Bautista, who has a range of new parts to test on the GSV-R, with San Carlo Honda Gresini pair Marco Simoncelli and Hiroshi Aoyama close behind.

Ben Spies was the second highest factory team rider in fifth position as the American survived an early fall on his Yamaha inside the opening hour of the day. He escaped unharmed and led Casey Stoner, Andrea Dovizioso (both Repsol Honda), Jorge Lorenzo and Colin Edwards on their respective factory and Monster Tech 3 Yamaha machines.

Valentino Rossi was the quickest Ducati rider in the first half of the day as the Italian took advantage of an adapted fuel tank shape, installed to allow him to change his riding position as he set out with the main aim of gaining a good level of comfort on the Desmosedici. Rossi led a group of GP11 bikes, with team-mate Nicky Hayden, Aspar rider Héctor Barberá and Pramac pair Loris Capirossi and Randy de Puniet following suit.

Rookie Cal Crutchlow, also riding with a shoulder still recovering from surgery, rounded out the early run 14th fastest on the Monster Yamaha Tech 3.

Join motogp.com for a full report of the day's Testing upon its conclusion, and keep up to date with the latest times by clicking here.

Pos Rider Team Fastest lap Prev. Gap Lead. Gap Laps
1 Hiroshi Aoyama San Carlo Honda Gresini 2:02.483 - - 0
2 Marco Simoncelli San Carlo Honda Gresini 2:02.488 +0.005 +0.005 0
3 Casey Stoner Repsol Honda Team 2:02.889 +0.401 +0.406 0
4 Colin Edwards Monster Yamaha Tech 3 2:02.899 +0.010 +0.416 0
5 Dani Pedrosa Repsol Honda Team 2:02.933 +0.034 +0.450 0
6 Andrea Dovizioso Repsol Honda Team 2:03.296 +0.363 +0.813 0
7 Ben Spies Yamaha Factory Racing 2:03.387 +0.091 +0.904 0
8 Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha Factory Racing 2:03.644 +0.257 +1.161 0
9 Kousuke Akiyoshi HRC Test Team 2:04.292 +0.648 +1.809 0
10 Hector Barbera Paginas Amarillas Aspar 2:04.510 +0.218 +2.027 0
11 Valentino Rossi Ducati Marlboro Team 2:04.794 +0.284 +2.311 0
12 Alvaro Bautista Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 2:04.901 +0.107 +2.418 0
13 Cal Crutchlow Monster Yamaha Tech 3 2:05.135 +0.234 +2.652 0
14 Nicky Hayden Ducati Marlboro Team 2:05.338 +0.203 +2.855 0
15 Toni Elias LCR Honda MotoGP 2:05.915 +0.577 +3.432 0
16 T2 Yamaha Test Team 2:06.005 +0.090 +3.522 0
17 T1 Yamaha Test Team 2:06.209 +0.204 +3.726 0
18 Karel Abraham Cardion AB Ducati 2:07.160 +0.951 +4.677 0
19 Loris Capirossi Pramac Racing Team 2:18.480 +11.320 +15.997 0
20 Randy De Puniet Pramac Racing Team 2:22.385 +3.905 +19.902 0

Casey Stoner’s progress on the Repsol Honda RC212V continued at a rapid rate on Tuesday when the Australian rider topped the opening day timesheet at the official MotoGP Test at Sepang. Posting a best lap of 2’01.574 – the only sub-2’02” effort – at the very end of the day Stoner was 0.403s faster than World Champion Jorge Lorenzo, who had been sat at the summit of the timings on his factory Yamaha M1 prior to his rival’s late lap.

Indeed the RC212V performed well on day one, with Stoner’s team-mate Dani Pedrosa third at just under five-hundredths of a second behind second position and showing little or no signs of hesitance with regards to his still recovering collarbone. The Spaniard, Stoner and third Repsol Honda rider Andrea Dovizioso (who placed eighth on the timesheet) were all testing various front forks on their bikes, whilst the Italian rode the 2011 chassis for the first time.

Marco Simoncelli, the HRC supported San Carlo Honda Gresini rider now entering his second season in the premier class, was fourth at marginally over seven-tenths off Stoner’s marker, with Ben Spies completing the top five. The American took his factory M1 round in a best time 0.758s off the top time, having escaped uninjured from a fall inside the opening hour of the first day’s riding.

On the track he scored his equal best result in his rookie MotoGP season in 2010 Álvaro Bautista, who is this year tasked with developing the GSV-R as Rizla Suzuki’s sole rider, was sixth fastest as he worked through a range of new aspects including chassis, engine, suspension and electronics. Hiroshi Aoyama (San Carlo Honda Gresini), Dovizioso, and Colin Edwards (Monster Yamaha Tech 3) were the final riders to get within a second of Stoner, whilst Randy de Puniet was the highest placed Ducati rider in the opening day order in tenth position, 1.578s off top spot.

Riding the recently unveiled Desmosedici GP11 but with a modified fuel tank was Valentino Rossi, whose main focus was on his riding position as he continues to adapt his style to his recovering right shoulder. The Italian was 12th on the timesheet, leading a spate of Ducatis with factory team-mate Nicky Hayden, Pramac Racing’s Loris Capirossi, and Aspar Team’s Héctor Barberá following in the order.

British rookie Cal Crutchlow, with a similar shoulder hindrance to Rossi, was 16th on his Monster Yamaha Tech 3 M1 bike, just under 2.5s off top spot as he continues to make the transition to MotoGP. LCR Honda’s Toni Elías was just behind, as he rode a 2010 factory RC212V chassis with a 2011 engine, and Karel Abraham (Cardion AB Motoracing) completed the field, riding two different Desmosedici machines for comparison.

HRC’s testing workload was supplemented by the presence of Kousuke Akiyoshi, whilst Yamaha also had two test riders on track.

ROSSI01_20_original.jpg

hmmm...still in Carbon and no Sign of a Title Sponsor for the Works Yamaha Team

Lorenzo01_original.jpg

Repsol Team Launch Pics .

2011-repsol-honda-hrc-rc212v-14Medium.jpg

2011-repsol-honda-hrc-rc212v-12.jpg

2011-repsol-honda-hrc-rc212v-11Medium.jpg

2011-repsol-honda-hrc-rc212v-6Medium.jpg

2011-repsol-honda-hrc-rc212v-3Medium.jpg

Last edited:
Great posts there!
I think there's great season ahead. Shame is though, that there isn't more riders... Well at least Repsol Honda is doing something about it with 3 riders:)

I think Stoner may have the edge at the beginning of the championship with a very competitive machine, against the also ultra talented JL, Rossi and Spies. Didn't see that one coming, I must admit :dunce:

As predicated Lorenzo switched to Alpinestars. Even after winning the title Dainese still put all it's weight behind Rossi!

Ben Spies is going to be mega this year!

Simoncelli tops third day times and also has best time of all three days. Vale 10th, a second off. Not bad considering his shoulder .

1 Marco Simoncelli San Carlo Honda Gresini 2:00.757 - - 42
2 Casey Stoner Repsol Honda Team 2:00.811 +0.054 +0.054 42
3 Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha Factory Racing 2:00.845 +0.034 +0.088 46
4 Andrea Dovizioso Repsol Honda Team 2:00.945 +0.100 +0.188 51
5 Ben Spies Yamaha Factory Racing 2:01.002 +0.057 +0.245 60
6 Dani Pedrosa Repsol Honda Team 2:01.241 +0.239 +0.484 44
7 Hiroshi Aoyama San Carlo Honda Gresini 2:01.353 +0.112 +0.596 63
8 Nicky Hayden Ducati Marlboro Team 2:01.534 +0.181 +0.777 60
9 Colin Edwards Monster Yamaha Tech 3 2:01.651 +0.117 +0.894 32
10 Valentino Rossi Ducati Marlboro Team 2:01.842 +0.191 +1.085 52
11 Hector Barbera Mapfre Aspar Team 2:02.030 +0.188 +1.273 42
12 Loris Capirossi Pramac Racing Team 2:02.057 +0.027 +1.300 48
13 Randy De Puniet Pramac Racing Team 2:02.159 +0.102 +1.402 57
14 Karel Abraham Cardion AB Motoracing 2:02.645 +0.486 +1.888 29
15 Cal Crutchlow Monster Yamaha Tech 3 2:02.717 +0.072 +1.960 44
16 Toni Elias LCR Honda MotoGP 2:02.916 +0.199 +2.159 55
17 T1 Yamaha Test Team 2:02.965 +0.049 +2.208 41
18 Kousuke Akiyoshi HRC Test Team 2:03.452 +0.487 +2.695 3
19 T2 Yamaha Test Team 2:03.621 +0.169 +2.864 32
20 Noburu Aoki Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 2:04.700 +1.079 +3.943 46
.........................................................................................................................................................................................

MotoGP Test Sepang Day 3

MotoGP Test Sepang, Malaysia
Day three of three-day test.
February 3, 2011
Weather: Hot and sunny
Track temperature: 32 degrees
Ambient temperature: 46 degrees

HONDA RIDERS TOP SEPANG TEST

Honda riders swept the top three overall spots and four of the top five at the conclusion of the first three-day test of the year at the sultry Sepang Circuit in Malaysia.

For the third day in a row a different Honda rider led the charge. Today it was Marco Simoncelli (San Carlo Honda Gresini RC212V), who was not only the fastest rider on the day, but fastest overall.

The tall, lanky Italian got off to a quick start, attacking the 5548m circuit outside of Kuala Lumpur in 2m 0.757s on only the second of his 42 laps aboard his full factory Honda RC212V. It was a lap that no one could match and "Super Sic" finished the three-day test 0.013s faster than Dani Pedrosa (Repsol Honda RC212V). The lap was only 0.239s slower than the fastest ever lap of Sepang set in qualifying in 2009.

The second-year MotoGP rider was buoyed by his results, saying at this time last year he was having a difficult time adjusting to the power of the premier-class machine after years on a 250cc two-stroke. But none of that trepidation was evident today, as he validated the important work done during the off-season by Honda engineers.

Simoncelli might have gone even faster had he concentrated on a single fast lap. Instead, he confirmed the improvements of both his team and Honda engineers by doing a simulated race run in the afternoon, 20 full laps, plus in and out laps.

Pedrosa was sixth on the day, but second overall in a test that ended with the top riders separated by barely perceptible margins. Pedrosa's lap of 2m 0770s from Wednesday stood up as the second fastest time. The 2010 MotoGP World Championship runner-up finished Thursday with the sixth fastest time, but only 0.239s off Simoncelli's pace.

The Spaniard had arrived in Malaysia concerned with the recovering health of his left collarbone and arm. Pedrosa suffered a double fracture of the collarbone in practice for last year's Japanese Grand Prix in Motegi and continues to regain strength. The durability of the shoulder and arm wasn't an issue, with Pedrosa completing a 12-lap run to check his fitness level.

Second to Simoncelli today was first day leader Casey Stoner (Repsol Honda RC212V). The 2007 World Champion continued to improve his comfort level on his new team with a lap that was a mere 0.054s from the top spot today. His lap of 2m 0.811s put him third overall for the test, giving the Honda riders a sweep of the virtual podium.

Stoner was one of three Honda riders to crash on Thursday. The Australian had a minor spill in Turn 12 when he touched the white line, but was unhurt and quickly rebounded.

Andrea Dovizioso (Repsol Honda RC212V) finished the day with the fourth fastest time which was only 0.188s off the day's fast time. Fifth overall for the test, Dovizioso pronounced himself content with the work done, while looking forward to returning here in less than three weeks' time to continue the important pre-season work.

Hiroshi Aoyama (San Carlo Honda Gresini RC212V) had his best result of his rookie 2010 MotoGP season at Sepang and he finished in the same position today. The Japanese star was seventh on the day and seventh overall after clocking a day's best 63 laps in the typically tropical weather. His lap of 2m 1.353s was only 0.596s slower than his teammate Simoncelli's best and his fastest ever in Malaysia by 1.3s. Aoyama also fell early on the final day, but his testing regimen was barely interrupted.

Closing the gap to the leaders was Toni Elias (LCR Honda MotoGP), who revealed that he'd been under the weather since arriving in Sepang. The Spaniard had flown to Sepang a week early to get acclimated to the tropical heat, but just prior to the test came down with the flu. Being at less than peak physical form was a detriment as the 2010 Moto2 World Champion in his re-entry into the MotoGP class after a one-year break.

Elias finished a deceptive 17th fastest, but closed the gap to the top time by more than a second overnight.

HRC test rider Kousuke Akiyoshi was the third Honda rider to fall. The veteran rider wasn't as fortunate as his peers and it was later confirmed he had suffered a fracture in his left arm.

HONDA MotoGP RIDER QUOTES

Marco Simoncelli (San Carlo Gresini Honda): 1st, 2m, 0.757s "I'm really happy. In the Valencia test I realised that the new bike had good potential and I had a good feeling. If we consider that this is not my favourite track I have to be more than happy. I was very consistent yesterday and this morning I managed to make this extraordinary time. Then I did the race simulation, during which I have been constant and in the end I got exhausted, as in the race. Well, I'm glad to have gone 360 degrees. The team worked perfectly with the new team members. Everything has turned to perfection. We all improved, I, for one, and the guys working on the bike and I am convinced that this year we will be there. Of course, this is the first test and I don't want to get too hyped up, so we must continue to work with our feet firmly on the ground."

Casey Stoner (Repsol Honda RC212V): 2nd, 2m, 0.811s "Today was definitely the best day, despite the crash. In general we made some nice steps forwards, alternating between the different chassis, trying to get a good feeling for them. We managed to make the bike work a lot better with used tyres and a different traction control system that catches the tyres a little quicker when they start to spin - which assisted with our corner speed. I'm really pleased with what I've found in this test, in fact it's a little better than what I expected. I'm happy with the overall package, just to be able to focus with such a good base set-up has been really important for us."

Andrea Dovizioso (Repsol Honda RC212V): 4th, 2m, 0.945s "This morning we tried a different bike set-up and we improved in the middle of the corner. We worked on some electronics, in particular on the traction control and we found some good solutions. We also tested a different set-up of the clutch, but unfortunately the feedback was not as we expected. This morning the track conditions were very good, so I used the soft tyre and I could lap in 2.00. It was the first time that I set 2.00 on this track so I'm very happy. I'm satisfied about the work done by HRC, myself and the team during these three days of testing. We start from a very good package. All Hondas are very competitive with many strong riders. We are aware that what we have done is not enough and that we need to continue working. I'm happy also of the training programme done during the winter because physically I managed this first test of the year well."

Dani Pedrosa (Repsol Honda RC212V): 6th, 2m, 1.241s "I am very, very happy about how the test went in general. The best news we could have is that recovery of the arm has been effective and cramps have disappeared and the lack of power which had me so worried. This afternoon we did a long run of 12 laps and we have done well. As for the work on the bike, I am also satisfied. We tried many things, step by step, and we leave Malaysia with clear ideas regarding suspension and some more things to confirm about chassis and engine when we come back here. I have concentrated more on the 2010 machine, and the second test we will have more time to test this year's bike. Ohlins also will bring some new parts that can still improve the package. For me, the most important step we have given is in terms of stability on braking, which was one of the things we wanted."

Hiroshi Aoyama (San Carlo Gresini Honda): 7th, 2m, 1.353s "This morning we concentrated on the set-up and went very well. In the afternoon we continued our work with great satisfaction. Three days were important and useful to understand that I can still go strong. The team is fantastic and I found a perfect harmony. Now we will analyse the data and prepare the second equally important to test in Sepang."

Toni Elias (LCR Honda): 17th, 2m, 2.916s "It was a difficult weekend for me. I flew to Malaysia one week earlier to train in this typical heat and to avoid the jetlag consequences, but three days ago I have started to feel sick. At the end I had to take antibiotics for the flu, so physically I was not okay and this bike requires one to be in good form. Despite the flu I think we had three productive days trying different adjustments to get more confidence and more stability on track. However, we still have a lot of work to do because I am struggling to find the right setting, but this is normal as I am continuing my adaptation to the RCV. I lapped in 2m 1.0s in 2009 on a MotoGP bike, so I am sure we will find the way to reduce the gap."

Yamaha

Jorge Lorenzo and Ben Spies wrap up a successful test at Sepang

Today saw the final session of the first official MotoGP test of 2011 at the Sepang circuit in Malaysia. Yamaha Factory Racing Team riders Jorge Lorenzo and Ben Spies spent the three days on track evaluating a number of development steps for the 2011 YZR-M1 ahead of the new race season which kicks off next month. Lorenzo's session focused on a series of shorter runs as he continued evaluating the various developments, impressing his team as he maintained a faster pace through the afternoon despite the increased track temperatures. The reigning World Champion finished the day in third position, just 0.088 seconds off the top of the time sheets. New factory rider Spies was again among the fastest riders on track for the majority of the day whilst working through various electronic settings on his bike. This test also marks the first time the Texan rider's complete crew have worked together.

The riders will now travel to Bangkok for public appearance in the city on Saturday 5th of February, then heading home for a rest in advance of the second official test here at Sepang on the 22nd February.

Jorge Lorenzo
3rd, 46 laps 2'00.811
"I'm very happy after the three days, it has been one of the best winter tests, normally we have more issues to feel good. The bike feels better but we still need to improve some points. I think the next test will see us take the next step. This afternoon when it was really hot on the track I still managed to put in a few fast laps which has given me the confidence that we are heading in a good direction. Ben is doing a very good job, I spoke with him yesterday and we discussed many things about the bike, he's a good team mate."

Ben Spies
5th 60 laps 2'01.002

"For the second and third day we did very consistent times so I'm very happy with it, it shows the consistency of the bike. There are some things we still need to work on. We tested two configurations of engine and we know which direction we want to go in now which is great. We also worked on some electronics for fuel consumption without compromising lap times and we found a good solution for that as well. We'll come back with some different goals in two weeks to look at being a bit faster and also test some different tyres. We've definitely done what we needed to do here. It's been good riding alongside Jorge, we've both worked hard to deliver important information which the team can now take away and work with."

Wilco Zeelenberg - Team Manager
"Jorge feels quite comfortable on the bike. He's got more patience this year and has taken a very considered approach to the test. I'm happy that we've completed a successful test with both riders on good form having blown off their cobwebs. We have enough data to decide which direction we have to go in now for our next visit here which was our first priority. We've seen it's very competitive over the last couple of days with more riders than last year able to compete for the podium so I think it's going to be a very exciting season."

Massimo Meregalli - Team Director

"A good final day for Ben today, again he was straight up to a good pace which he was consistent with over the session. This was the first opportunity for all of Ben's crew to work together, I am very satisfied to see there were no problems and they fit together well. Overall as a team we are pleased with this Sepang test, everyone has worked hard to ensure that on both sides of the garage we have tested everything we needed to. We can now go away and prepare for our next session here later in the month where we are confident we will make another step forward in our development for the 2011 bike to be ready for the start of the season."

Positive start to 2011 for Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team

The Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team concluded a successful start to preparations for the 2011 MotoGP world championship today with Colin Edwards and Cal Crutchlow satisfied with significant progress made at the end of a three-day test at the Sepang circuit in Malaysia.

Experienced American Edwards took full advantage of dry conditions throughout the test to evaluate a host of new upgrades on his Yamaha YZR-M1 machine. The 36-year-old completed 125 laps, working closely with his crew to assess a revised engine, chassis and electronics package he will campaign in 2011.

Edwards ended with a best time of 2.01.651 to finish ninth overall, the Sepang test highlighting just how competitive the 2011 World Championship is likely to be with the top ten riders split by just over one second.
Crutchlow was also buoyed by his hugely encouraging performance, the British rider clocking a best time of 2.02.717 to finish 17th on the final timesheets in what turned out to be a productive second test with the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team.

Crutchlow was able to quickly master the long and technical Sepang circuit he'd never seen before and he overcame constant discomfort in his left shoulder following pre-Christmas surgery to expertly build up his confidence and speed with his YZR-M1 machine.

Crutchlow made a brilliant recovery from a high-speed crash on the second afternoon to knock nearly 1.3s off his time from the first day, as he completed 127 laps by the time the test reached its climax. Edwards and Crutchlow will back on track at Sepang on February 22 for the second of three pre-season tests ahead of the first race in Qatar on March 20.

Colin Edwards
9th, 2.01.651

"It was good to get back to work with the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team and I am really happy with the development that Yamaha has done on the bike for 2011. It has improved in every area and it was great to get back up to speed so quickly and post consistent and competitive lap times on each day. The engine is a big improvement in terms of power and the chassis helps me turn much better than I could before, so in all aspects I am happy and confident that I can have a strong season. Looking at the field there is some unbelievable talent but I feel really motivated to repeat some of the strong results I had in 2009. It is not going to be an easy task but I am sure with the help of the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team it is not unrealistic to fight for the top six. I'm looking forward to being back on the back again later this month so we can fine-tune the package ahead of the first race."

Cal Crutchlow
17th - 2.02.717

"I am happy with the test because I am still learning so much but I was able to run a consistent pace and drop my lap times on each day. I'm on a big learning curve and I wasn't looking for pure speed. I'd never ridden at this track before and it is certainly a tough place to learn quickly. All the other guys have done millions of laps around here and I just need to build up my experience. I've got to improve in every area but I'm happy and the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team are happy too. My times are in the ballpark of those set in last year's race and that's pleasing considering everything is still so new for me and I wasn't in peak physical condition because of my shoulder. I need to improve in the braking area and also step up my pace on t he hard Bridgestone tyre, but I feel I'm getting more comfortable with the bike. I've been looking at loads of data and when we return later this month I'll continue trying to adapt my style. I'm still riding the bike too much like a superbike, but I'm pleased that I'm progressing and getting faster."

Winter Test
Thursday Feb 03 2011

Sepang - Ends
DUCATI MARLBORO TEAM ENDS FIRST TEST WITH MAJOR PROGRESS

The first pre-season MotoGP test of 2011 ended today at Malaysia's Sepang circuit. Valentino Rossi and Nicky Hayden were able to take advantage of three full days on the track with no rain, a rare occurrence in this Asian country, and that enabled the Ducati Marlboro Team to return to Italy with a large quantity of information and data that can be used to continue the development of the GP11.

Valentino Rossi pronounced himself very satisfied with the progress made on the GP11's setup, allowing him to drop his best lap time by over seven tenths compared to yesterday. Despite being limited by his still-healing shoulder, the Italian was also happy with his physical progress and with the work done by his team.

Nicky Hayden also improved each day, and he looks forward to seeing the fruits of his labor at the next test, which will once again take place at Sepang, February 22-24.

Nicky Hayden (Ducati Marlboro Team) 8th, 2:01.534 (60 laps)

"It's great to be back here, and to be back on the bike. We had three important days with a lot of work to do. Of course I don't like to still be so far away from the leaders, but we've reduced the gap every day. Today it looked like it could rain at any time, so we did a lot of laps in the morning and found some stuff we like. We chased the chatter a lot, which cost us time trying to figure out what's going on. Last year, that was something we only had a problem with at this one track. We don't want it anywhere, but it could be a problem that's not related to the GP11 in general and is specific just to this track. We also tested some tires for Bridgestone and gave them some information that can help down the road. We realize there's still a lot of work to do, and that starts with the rider. When we come back, we'll keep reducing the gap to the front guys."

Valentino Rossi (Ducati Marlboro Team) 10th, 2:01.842 (52 laps)

"I'm very happy because before coming here, I expected to do 20, 30 laps per day, and as it turns out, I did around 40 each of the first two days and over 50 today. Of course I was really finished by the end, in part because the rest of my body has to work differently; my left arm has to do extra work, so it's very tired. But I'm really happy with my shoulder because it's improving day-by-day, and even after the stress of having ridden a MotoGP bike at the limit, I don't have any problems: now it's just a question of strength. My mobility has improved a lot, and I no longer think my physical limitations cost me a second; let's say I lose five or six tenths, especially on braking and in corner entry. Anyway, we worked well today too, and we were able to collect a lot of data and solve the chattering problem we were experiencing. Obviously, there's still a lot to do, but compared to the start of the test, we've definitely gotten closer to the base setup we're looking for. There's no need to change the Desmosedici's character; we need to take advantage of its best characteristics—its stability and its engine—and improve the other areas, especially the in-corner behavior, to make it turn better. In any case, the overall evaluation of the test is definitely good; today we're a second off the top riders, and also in the afternoon, riding with race tires, the distance stayed around seven or eight tenths. I still have to do more kilometers in order to understand other aspects of the GP11 but, although I have to change my riding style a little, I now feel much more at home with the Ducati."

Last edited:
There's nothing much going on in the world of MotoGP at the moment but this looks interesting...

Autoblog
Vyrus 986 M2 brings major technology leap to Moto 2

vyrus-986-opt.jpg

Vyrus has been bringing its unique take on motorcycle design to the well-heeled masses for several years now, but the company's technology is about to make the giant leap to Moto 2 racing courtesy of the 986 M2 race bike, which is promised to spawn a version for the street by the end of the year. It's beautiful, and now we have real pictures to drool over.

The most obvious change from typical motorcycles and Moto 2 competitors is the hub-center steering that Vyrus has perfected on its larger-capacity machines such as the 987 C3 4V. Since all Moto 2 racers are required to run the same spec engine, which is based heavily on the 600cc unit that powers Honda's middleweight repli-racers, unique solutions like hub-center steering may separate Vyrus from the rest of the pack.

But that's not all Vyrus is unleashing on the 986 M2. Note that the radiator is placed beneath the engine and that the exhaust exits through two highly stylized ports that poke out above the swingarm. Speaking of which, that rear swingarm uses a linkage to actuate a shock mounted 90 degrees from what's considered normal shock placement. All of these bits have their purpose, be it mass centralization or improved rider feedback.

Perhaps the most intriguing news of all, though, is that the company hopes to launch the road version of the 986 M2 by September of 2011 for a relatively attractive €25,000 ($34,000) price. Suffice it to say, we're highly intrigued. Check out the high-res gallery of images below.

Test times from day one at Sepang...

1. Casey Stoner AUS Repsol Honda Team 2m 0.987s (53)

2. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team 2m 1.360s (46)

3. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Yamaha Factory Racing 2m 1.468s (50)

4. Colin Edwards USA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 2m 1.654s (42)

5. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Repsol Honda Team 2m 1.747s (54)

6. Ben Spies USA Yamaha Factory Racing 2m 1.808s (47)

7. Hiroshi Aoyama JPN San Carlo Honda Gresini 2m 1.939s (73)

8. Marco Simoncelli ITA San Carlo Honda Gresini 2m 1.996s (49)

9. Valentino Rossi ITA Ducati Team 2m 1.999s (53)

10. Alvaro Bautista ESP Rizla Suzuki MotoGP 2m 2.224s (48)

11. Hector Barbera ESP Aspar Team 2m 2.645s (54)

12. Nicky Hayden USA Ducati Team 2m 2.680s (60)

13. Toni Elias ESP LCR Honda MotoGP 2m 2.779s (63)

14. Randy de Puniet FRA Pramac Racing Team 2m 2.920s (44)

15. Cal Crutchlow GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 2m 2.936s (36)

16. Loris Capirossi ITA Pramac Racing Team 2m 3.082s (58)

17. Karel Abraham CZE Cardion AB Motoracing 2m 3.167s (46)

18. Bike #T1 JPN Yamaha Test Rider 2m 3.676s (46)

19. Nobuatsu Aoki JPN Suzuki Test Rider 2m 4.639s (57)

20. Bike #T2 JPN Yamaha test Rider 2m 4.958s (29)

3 Repsol Hondas in top 5? Oh they're gonna be strong this year! Also, glad to see Colin Edwards in 4th. I guess that Vale still isn't 100% ready after that shoulder injury, but 9th isn't too bad.

Latest Posts

Back