MotoGP 2011 (125, Moto2, and MotoGP)

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 556 comments
At the end of last season Ben Spies was asked something like "What worries you must about next season"? He replied "Casey on a Honda".

Gonna take some beating.

I'm loving the new Moto GP Safety Car.

BMW-1-Series-M-Coupe-to-serve-as-MotoGP-Safety-1.jpg

I'm loving the new Moto GP Safety Car.

It is quite tasty isn't it. It has the makings of an 1 Series M Coupe GTS

EVO.com
The unique one-off is based on the forthcoming 1-series M Coupe. However, only the 340bhp straight-six turbo engine and drivetrain have been carried over unaltered from the production model.

Suspension has been replaced for an adjustable set-up, with dampers independently variable for both bump and rebound. Brakes are also new, the standard floating caliper set up having been replaced by a six-piston, fixed-caliper racing system. Adjustable front and rear axle camber, coupled with adjustable ride height, means the 1-series can be set up to suit any circuit on the championship calendar.

The car also benefits from a revised aero package, including an adjustable rear wing and an additional front splitter integrated into the underside of the front apron.

Weight saving measures stretch to polycarbonate side and rear windows, a carbonfibre bonnet and an Akrapovic titanium racing exhaust, which according to BMW, will ‘deliver a captivating sound for the benefit of spectators’.

The weight saving continues on the inside. The front seats have been replaced by racing buckets, complete with six-point harnesses, while the rears have been replaced by a roll cage. The obligatory Alcantara M steering wheel also makes an appearance.

The 1 Series M Coupe is also going to be the car awarded for the M Award this year. A nice change from the usual M3.

The renowned BMW M Award will also remain a feature of the World Championship, rewarding the best-performing rider in qualification in the premier class at the end of the season. In 2010 World Champion Jorge Lorenzo collected a brand new BMW M3 Sedan after consistently leading the way, and in 2011 the lucky winner will receive a new BMW 1 Series M Coupe.

don't know if this has been done yet, but i think it's a good time for everyone's title predictions. i'll get it started:
125: had enough of spanish winners but terol looks odds on
moto 2: anyone's guess, marquez could, bradl definitely could, redding and luthi my 2 to watch.
moto gp: can't go wrong with a repsol honda, whether casey can dominate outside qatar decides it for me.
cue your choices...

Paris Hilton was on hand in Madrid on Saturday to front the official presentation of the SuperMartxé VIP by Paris Hilton team which will compete in the 2011 125cc World Championship.

Alongside riders Sergio Gadea and Maverick Viñales, who will ride the Aprilia RSA machines which were unveiled at the event, the American media personality entertained the attending press by posing next to the bikes which were sporting pink, white and blue fairings. Hilton also expressed her intention to be present at as many rounds of the 2011 World Championship as possible.

The set-up, which is run by Raúl Romero and whose aim is to fight for the final 125cc title before the category is replaced by the new Moto3 class in 2012, will be one based around a vastly experienced and successful team. The sporting and technical director will be Ricard Jové whilst the highly accomplished Rossano Brazzi, who has previously worked alongside Valentino Rossi and Max Biaggi, will be responsible for the preparation of the bikes.

paris-hilton-125gp-motorcycle-race-team-launch-7.jpg

@ Ru-fus: I've seen this before... It makes me laugh and vomit... Not pleasant:ill:

P.S. I don't understand spanish, so I wonder what was the whole last question they asked her because it made the pressmen laugh. I think the translator didn't tell her the whole story.

don't know if this has been done yet, but i think it's a good time for everyone's title predictions. i'll get it started:
125: had enough of spanish winners but terol looks odds on
moto 2: anyone's guess, marquez could, bradl definitely could, redding and luthi my 2 to watch.
moto gp: can't go wrong with a repsol honda, whether casey can dominate outside qatar decides it for me.
cue your choices...

125: don't follow
Moto2: Hoping for Redding, Luthi is a good choice too.
MotoGP: Stoner. I think he may lock the series up before Motegi, if Motegi is held this year. Lorenzo 2nd, Pedrosa, 3rd.

EDIT: More injury woes for Pedrosa. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90113 He's starting 2011 not even at full strength due to a shoulder injury from last year. Uncertain whether he will miss any time. Beginning to wonder if injuries will dog him his whole career...

Last edited:
125cc I hope Folger finally gets a few podiums this year. Maybe a little bit of German blood will stir up the 125cc ranks.

Moto2 I've not followed much but I'm working on it.

Go Elbowz for the title this year. :D

The Motegi round will be in October. Elsewhere... is there any shame racing for, and winning for a racing team (of any kind) headed by Paris Hilton? Imagine an F1 team or a damn good sportscar racing team headed by Paris Hilton. That's hot (I'm sorry- HAD to say that!). Good luck to the SuperMartxé VIP by Paris Hilton team, as well as the other teams in the 125 class.

Not to segway to my thread about the motorsports impact on the earthquake in Japan, but I have to imagine Honda will have extra incentive to see Hondas win and finish strong this season. Casey Stoner's win in Qatar is a nice boost for Honda. I said earlier that I think the title may come down to Honda and Ducati. I favor Honda, but you just never know for sure considering how crazy MotoGP can be.

I can see it now. Pink bikes in the pack lol. Anyways... I thought it was a great start to the season. Hope this won't be the only win for Repsol. I personally prefer the Repsol over Ducati.

Looks like Ducati is more at the sharp end of the grid in Jerez:

Free Practice 1
Pos Rider Team/Bike Time Gap
1. Casey Stoner Honda 1m39.551s
2. Dani Pedrosa Honda 1m39.579s + 0.028s
3. Valentino Rossi Ducati 1m40.077s + 0.526s
4. Marco Simoncelli Gresini Honda 1m40.176s + 0.625s
5. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1m40.420s + 0.869s
6. Andrea Dovizioso Honda 1m40.429s + 0.878s
7. Ben Spies Yamaha 1m40.887s + 1.336s
8. Colin Edwards Tech 3 Yamaha 1m41.063s + 1.512s
9. Randy de Puniet Pramac Ducati 1m41.064s + 1.513s
10. Nicky Hayden Ducati 1m41.233s + 1.682s
11. Karel Abraham Cardion Ducati 1m41.398s + 1.847s
12. Hector Barbera Aspar Ducati 1m41.601s + 2.050s
13. Hiroshi Aoyama Gresini Honda 1m41.816s + 2.265s
14. Cal Crutchlow Tech 3 Yamaha 1m41.949s + 2.398s
15. Toni Elias LCR Honda 1m42.157s + 2.606s
16. Loris Capirossi Pramac Ducati 1m42.313s + 2.762s
17. John Hopkins Suzuki 1m42.538s + 2.987s

Free Practice 2
Pos Rider Team/Bike Time Gap
1. Dani Pedrosa Honda 1m40.101s
2. Casey Stoner Honda 1m40.289s + 0.188s
3. Jorge Lorenzo Yamaha 1m40.623s + 0.522s
4. Marco Simoncelli Gresini Honda 1m40.701s + 0.600s
5. Valentino Rossi Ducati 1m40.956s + 0.855s
6. Randy de Puniet Pramac Ducati 1m40.982s + 0.881s
7. Ben Spies Yamaha 1m41.053s + 0.952s
8. Nicky Hayden Ducati 1m41.058s + 0.957s
9. Hiroshi Aoyama Gresini Honda 1m41.292s + 1.191s
10. Karel Abraham Cardion Ducati 1m41.304s + 1.203s
11. Colin Edwards Tech 3 Yamaha 1m41.337s + 1.236s
12. Andrea Dovizioso Honda 1m41.407s + 1.306s
13. Hector Barbera Aspar Ducati 1m41.665s + 1.564s
14. Loris Capirossi Pramac Ducati 1m41.810s + 1.709s
15. Cal Crutchlow Tech 3 Yamaha 1m41.854s + 1.753s
16. John Hopkins Suzuki 1m42.305s + 2.204s
17. Toni Elias LCR Honda 1m42.690s + 2.589s

Dovizioso is showing a surprising lack of pace. Let's see if he makes up for it in qualifying.

It simply looks like Ducati is the team to beat this year. It is still quite early, but they look very fast.

Rossticles
It simply looks like Ducati is the team to beat this year. It is still quite early, but they look very fast.

Surely you mean Honda is the team to beat and specifically Stoner?

insane days racing, rain makes everything better.
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
i couldn't believe the crashes, rossi into stoner, good & bad to see stoner accept vale's apology but then question his talent :embarrassed:
great day for the brits, kent, mackenzie, smith, coghlan really impressed and crutchlow could have had a podium :)

It was a nerve racking race. My heart stopped many times. Some interesting results though. Most important thing is that noone got hurt.

Was a fairly exciting race today. Feel sooo sorry for Edwards. What's the verdict on what happened to his bike?

Nerve wrecking... All my favorite riders were out.

My home boy Oliveira on 125 crashed out of 3rd.

Rossi crashes into Stoner, Spies chrashes out of 2nd, Simoncelli crashes out of the lead...

In the end, it was survival of the smartest. Not the fastest. Still, it's racing!

About Stoners' words... Rossi lacks no talent. He started 12th and made the best of an underpowered machine. And Vale was making an honest overtake. He also apologized for trying too hard and taking his efforts a bit too far. Again, it's racing...

If Stoner just expects people to recognize his speed and his bike's supremacy and let him through without a fight, he is in the wrong Championship.

I hope he was just pissed... Cause if he starts acting all "prima donna" in the second race, he is looking at things the wrong way. The crown is not his yet... And no one is "out to get him".

Oh, quit your whining, Casey.

Based on what Stoner said, his engine cut out when he crashed because he hit the kill switch, albeit unintentionally. I didn't see the race, but I'm willing to bet that Rossi's bike was still running. If the marshalls helped him, it was probably because they knew Stoner wouldn't be able to get back into the race since starting a Grand Prix racing bike isn't as simple as turning a key in the ignition.

missed the race, was still in bed sleeping lol, with try and watch it tonight as it sounds like a great race :)

No....the martials ran over and stood round Rossi with thir toung's haning out or thir heads, 2 martial's realised what they were doing and ran to bump start Stoner who was already up and waiting, but did half the job and went back to Rossi which by now was being pushed up the track with Stoner screaming at them for a bump, It was like the Spanish Armada all over again.
Funny'st thing for me was Rossi at the end of the race knowing he's got to face Stoner when they hate each other and keeping he's crash hat on so the press would'nt see he's red face then Stoner coming out all smiles saying "your ambition outweighed your tallent did it.......yea......yea.....but your ambition outweighed your tallent" [he could'nt say it enough]somthing Rossi said to Stoner some years back when he noticed he was a threat and decided to start playing mind games with him.....FUNNY

Well, Rossi will take chances. He always tries. He made unbelievable moves and overtakes that no one could believe doable. Like corkscrew on the sand? Awesome. Or the way he ownd Lorenzo (Spain? Can't recall) passing where no one cold even consider the possibility.

With that he contributes to make moto racing the most spectacular form of motor sport for me.

On occasion, there will be contact, some mistakes, drama, but there will be SHOWTIME.

As long as it's not on purpose, it's racing... Let's get on with it Mr Stoner.

And don't think I have anything against Stoner. He's "up there" as one of my favorite riders along with Rossi, Spies and Simoncelli.

Just watched the race, lots of excitement as I expected from the first European race but it's a shame the battle for the lead disappeared due to crashes...it looked promising though 👍

Was a fairly exciting race today. Feel sooo sorry for Edwards. What's the verdict on what happened to his bike?

According to his team it was ‘a minor technical issue’ that caused his engine to die, I'm not sure Edwards would describe it as minor!

Rossi's takedown of Stoner was truly unfortunate... while nobody can deny Rossi's talent, that was from very, very, very far back.

T'was a nail-biting, hair-pulling, blood pressure spiking race. Probably the most exciting I've ever watched...

That above picture is hilarious. I'm so upset about Ben Spies' first two races. I wish he could be doing as good as he was in AMA. It's only a matter of time I believe.

Back