Motorsport OMG / WTF moments - Racing Funnies, Fails, Crashes, And Randomness

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 5,370 comments
Roo
Who else knows it better?

atc-honda-350x-for-sale.jpg

;)

God damn, that was reckless. The Benetton's rear end crumbled away awfully quickly too.

You can never be sure with these old cars in private hands, they get bodged together far too often after little shunts or even just in general upkeep, they're not kept to the original standards. We all know about the famous Ferrari that the front fell off because the owner modified it.

You can never be sure with these old cars in private hands, they get bodged together far too often after little shunts or even just in general upkeep, they're not kept to the original standards. We all know about the famous Ferrari that the front fell off because the owner modified it.
I thought that was an oil tanker

I don't recall if it was ever 100% proven but the assumption was always that Kroymans had modified it to get his big frame into it.

The conspiracy theory has it that #192 was fixed after Schumacher broke his legs in it, renumbered #193 and sold on to Kroyman.

The conspiracy theory has it that #192 was fixed after Schumacher broke his legs in it, renumbered #193 and sold on to Kroyman.

Indeed but I've never really believed it, I can't see any reason why Ferrari would've attempted to repair it and done such an iffy job that it split apart at such low speed. Given his large frame I find the homebrew mod explanation more believeable.

Well, that was a Benetton. That was also a stupid move on that driver's part.

YouTube comments seem to be 50/50 in blaming either the ChampCar or the Benetton;

- Benetton went for a very thin gap, not wide enough for a car, into a fast approaching vanishing point
- ChampCar was horrendously slow coming out of the Lesmo and should have checked its mirrors

Perhaps there's something in it. The ChampCar was ridiculously slow coming out of the Lesmo and the Benetton's high speed might have it have to make a quick decision on the ChampCar. Benetton goes left, off line, but the ChampCar stays there, probably thinking that someone would pass him on the right, and doesn't check his mirrors.

Now that's being very generous. Without another angle to see the incident, I guess we won't know. I do think that whatever the situation, the Benetton could have braked and backed off but racing drivers don't like to do that.

Pierluigi Martini did qualify on the front row proper in 1989 but back in 2003 Minardi topped an official qualifying session with Jos Verstappen.

Justin Wilson even came second in the same session for a 1-2 but his time was deleted after his car was found underweight.

Pierluigi Martini did qualify on the front row proper in 1989 but back in 2003 Minardi topped an official qualifying session with Jos Verstappen.

Justin Wilson even came second in the same session for a 1-2 but his time was deleted after his car was found underweight.

Is that rear left tyre smoking at 1:20?

Back