Motorsport OMG / WTF moments - Racing Funnies, Fails, Crashes, And Randomness

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 5,373 comments
Wow. That just looks terrifying from his position, slightly worst then the ALMS wreck at VIR, which also had a car dangerously close to the Camera man.

I don't see how these tractors are worse than the concrete walls, or trees on some stages. The F1 comparisons are out of place.
It's more the tastelessness of it that bothered drivers. Temporary chicanes are usually introduced to keep the average stage speed down; the rules and regulations state that the average speed has to be less than 130km/h. When they are used, they usually take the form of large hay bales so that if a driver gets it wrong, they can recover. Tractors are not appropriate because they're dangerous if a driver gets it wrong and represent a rally-ending hazard for what is little more than a spectator-friendly stage.

I know what these chicanes are for, but when I see them driving through tight villages, or extremely rocky "roads" with concrete walls, posts, tunnels, rocks, trees, etc. I see a lot more danger than with these perfectly placed tractors. Also don't see the tastelessness, Bianchi's accident was so unusual and such a freak accident, that I just cannot see the similarities. In the end, the drivers should of course be the ones to decide, I'm simply a bit baffled that this concerns them and other stuff doesn't.

when I see them driving through tight villages, or extremely rocky "roads" with concrete walls, posts, tunnels, rocks, trees, etc. I see a lot more danger than with these perfectly placed tractors.
It's because they're an unnecessary danger on a stage that doesn't really do anything. When they're flying along proper stages, the risks are accepted - you make a mistake and you're out. But here, the stage is just made for television; a chance for fans to get up close to the cars. It doesn't add anything to the overall event. There shouldn't be any unnecessary risks added in.

It's because they're an unnecessary danger on a stage that doesn't really do anything. When they're flying along proper stages, the risks are accepted - you make a mistake and you're out. But here, the stage is just made for television; a chance for fans to get up close to the cars. It doesn't add anything to the overall event. There shouldn't be any unnecessary risks added in.
Gaining publicity for the tractors' manufacturer seems to have been one reason behind the decision.

The concrete block that is around 400 metres before the tractors looks worse
It's more a visual reference point than anything else. The corner is a right-left chicane on top of a crest. The drivers need something to help them pick their line. The blocks themselves are just like the ones that you see on construction sites.

remember Solbergs crash in Germany?
That was a hinkelstein, also known as a "dragon's tooth". It's a cubic metre of reinforced cement anchored into the ground. They're designed to keep tanks from running off the road and getting caught in a ditch or on a slope; after all, the Arena Panzerplatte is an old military proving ground. A rally car doesn't stand a chance against them, but the barrier on that stage would likely crack if they hit it.

A really odd "tire blowout" in Xfinity Series for Derrike Cope. Personally I have never seen a tire blowout that looked like a nitrous explosion.

I'm reasonably sure that wasn't a tyre that blew, rather whatever did explode blew the tyre out as a result.
The team said that the caliper broke, and the resulting heat and pressure cause the tire to blow. I do agree though, I think the tire went down due to the explosion. It reminds me a lot of this, which has probably already been posted.

The team said that the caliper broke, and the resulting heat and pressure cause the tire to blow. I do agree though, I think the tire went down due to the explosion. It reminds me a lot of this, which has probably already been posted.

That one looks like the car soiled itself badly..imsorry

A really odd "tire blowout" in Xfinity Series for Derrike Cope. Personally I have never seen a tire blowout that looked like a nitrous explosion.

That looked scary. No one got hurt, at least.

It's a miracle the Pettys survived their respective crashes with the lack of safety devices compared to today.

Just blind luck, that's all anyone has in those situations. The Pettys didn't all survive either, you're only 75% correct.

Back