Motorsport OMG / WTF moments - Racing Funnies, Fails, Crashes, And Randomness

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 5,373 comments
Yeah it was that but remastered to 60fps.

I didn't know about this incident... at the Nurburgring for Round 6 of the 1999 Superbike World Championship (the Wiki) there was an oil spill on the Castrol Curve (I know) that wasn't flagged. Some riders were also unhappy with the flag marshalls for the lack of blue flags, as can also be seen.

To the best of my knowledge there were no injuries other than bruises during this chaotic race:

Last edited:
I didn't know about this incident... at the Nurburgring for Round 6 of the 1999 Superbike World Championship (the Wiki) there was an oil spill on the Castrol Curve (I know) that wasn't flagged. Some riders were also unhappy with the flag marshalls for the lack of blue flags, as can also be seen.

To the best of my knowledge there were no injuries other than bruises during this chaotic race:

Colin Edwards flipping all the birds at the corner workers and flagmen (rightfully so) made the event much more memorable.

Random:

Can any of our Finnish members translate what's being said here? I'm just idly curious as to what Häkkinen's impressions were in what would be one of his first tests.

NARRATOR: The 21-year old Mika Häkkinen slipped into the cabin of a F1 car for real for the first time.

HÄKKINEN, DRIVING FOOTAGE: We, we did it so that I went there already on Thursday to adjust the seat, we put everything together, on Friday we went to Silverstone and then began testing. In the morning Nannini drove for some 20 laps before me and after that I jumped in. It was, yeah it was a pretty nice feeling there and of course Nannini gave advice like which gear to use in which place and so on.

HÄKKINEN, INTERVIEW: We found many faults there and Nannini had, for example, adjusted the throttle himself in the morning and I found out later in the day that I had to adjust the throttle, you can adjust it inside the car. You can change it there and I changed it there quite a lot.

HÄKKINEN, DRIVING FOOTAGE: Nannini drove in the morning around '59, '60 and my best time for the afternoon was '54,2.

HÄKKINEN, INTERVIEW: Well there was a pretty big difference, yeah. *laughs*

NARRATOR: The testing day with Benetton was arranged as a prize for last year's Formula 3 Superprix.

HÄKKINEN, DRIVING FOOTAGE: The test went, in my opinion, so well that... I drove in the beginning for five laps and after that, there was like, no problem in getting used to the car. As I remembered the times I drove with Formula K in the micros it was a pretty similar situation: the tyres had loads of grip, the engine had power and so on. Well, it went from there and it was really, the car was amazingly stiff with great grip do it was really nice to drive.

INTERVIEWER: The difference was surely clear, like night and day when coming from the F3 as you jumped suddenly behind the wheel of the top class F1?

HÄKKINEN, INTERVIEW: Well of course, the top speeds are totally different but, in principle, it's exactly the same. You play with the car adjustment in the same way, the gear ratios, and so on. But the only thing that was more positive in the F1 was that you can do much more adjustments yourself, inside the cockpit. You don't have to come into the pits every time, stop, and the tyres are getting cold and everything gets cold. You can, during the driving, adjust everything ready by yourself.

I tried to retain some of the characteristic style of Häkkinen in the translation. He uses a lot of filler words, repeats things, and overall sounds pretty confusing at times but it's just his personal style.

Last edited:
characteristic style of Häkkinen

Yes.
Just... incredibuwl.
Great feeling, huehue.
[Big Smile]

---

I wasn't expecting a complete transcript! Thank you very much. For a sub-60 time it must have been the South circuit. Pretty telling that he was immediately quicker than Nannini.

Shameless plug:

There's a few "new" clips in here that you might not have seen in other compilations. Along with a some classic moments.

Two nasty crashes at Turn 18 in the Formula E today. here's the crash that caused the red flag which the broadcast is trying to ignore and never showed.

In the US broadcast, they completely ended the program without even telling us why a red flag was thrown. Really odd. I can understand not showing a crash because the driver's condition was unknown, but in the case of our broadcast, we didn't even really know about this crash.

The mouse cursor and the weird aspect ratios and cropping ruin it.
Yes I know but I got most of the clips from Motorsport Moments and the icon was in the corner, and I didn't want that in my video. The reason why the cursor is there is that I was using the Xbox Game Bar to capture the video clips and had to press record.

Last edited:
Whoa, that's massive now we see what caused it. No wonder they A: Red Flagged it and B: Didn't want to show that while they were unsure of Lynn's condition (plus, none of the cameras captured it. That was CCTV footage).

S5000, Phillip Island, heat 2 yesterday. Cooper Webster leads - I'm reliably informed - Thomas Randle, although it's hard to tell.

160097663_10224993167279294_4787897650313692823_n.jpg

For anyone who may still be wondering (like myself), the driver, Moisey Uretsky, was born in the USSR, and runs the hammer and sickle as a show of his heritage. Why he combined it with a Porsche (i.e. German) livery tho...that's my question.

Last edited:
Back