Motorsports Trivia Thread!

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 7,179 comments
Right.... I'm not disbelieving any of the claims... after the explanation. I just said they were alike, in the front. Notice the grille (and just the grille) is very much alike in the model daan showed and the Delta.

Either way, I'm having enough trouble with Kev's answer... is the answer a pre-WWII leader?

The only guy I can think of off the top of my head is Prince B Bira, but he drove the car himself. There's also a Prince Leopold von something in the back of my head, but I can't remember anything else.

Adolf Hitler did use motor racing - he provided lots of funds for Mercedes and Auto Union to take on and beat the world's best. But he didn't enter his chauffeur.

I was actually going to say Adolf Hitler... and then was going to say Yosef Stalin... but I'm figuring it must be someone of "lower exposure", but still, world leader as such. Still, I have no freakin' clue!

umm... Charles de Gaulle??

Mussolini. The 1939 Mille Miglia was cancelled after an accident left 10 people dead in the 1938 race. Mussolini's chauffeur, Ercole Boratto, won the race that was put on in it's stead, a 1000 mile race between Tobruk and Tripoli.

Kevin, rest assured that it was a difficult one :crazy: After a while I just started looking for famous world leaders and see if they had someone drive a race (Hitler, Stalin, Reagan, etc), and I didn't look into Mussolini because I thought he wasn't "worldly enough".

The first Trans Am race was actually called Trans-American (as its name would suggest) Sedan Championship, on 25 March 1966 at Sebring International Raceway in Florida. Jochen Rindt (yes, the F1 Jochen) took the overall victory. The 2-litre class was won by Bob Tullius.

That's right Diego440.
I don't usually blow my own trumpet Wastegate, but after getting home from work and having a shower, I found Mussolini's chauffeur in about five minutes on page four of my Google search.

as usual, the serach engine in Oz is better than the one in Spain. What key words did you type in? I swear I typed every variation of "world-leader", "chauffeur", driver, racer, etc etc etc. The closest I got was a race driver who disguised himself as a chauffeur during WWII. Either way, here's my question. It should be an easy one:

Why was the F3 Championship in 1990 called the "Mikamika Series"?

The British F3 Championshp in 1990 was dubbed "Mikamika" as the two Mikas, Hakkinen and Salo, were fighting for the title. Hakkinen came out on top.

Yuichi, you got it and you didn't. Still, I'll grant you the answer, since that wasn't the only reason it was called MikaMika. It was called like that mainly because both Mikas won 15 of the 17 races. Hakkinen got 9 wins and Salo got 6. It was called MikaMika because both of them (almost) always won the races. I don't know if you get my point, since sometimes I wake up not wanting to think in English.

Anyways, good job 👍

That means that they ended in the water, right? (remember, I'm having a non-English day :crazy: )

Alberto Ascari did so in 1955. Then Paul Hawkins did it in 65 (I think)... and that's it.

:D

Well, it seems GT4's NA release has almost collapsed the site. Can't think when it was as slow as it is right now. I guess it's still safe, since the Euro nad Australian versions haven't appeared yet. Anyway, here's the question.

What company built the first Ferrari cars?

Diego440
That means that they ended in the water, right? (remember, I'm having a non-English day :crazy: )

Alberto Ascari did so in 1955. Then Paul Hawkins did it in 65 (I think)... and that's it.
There was a 3rd. 💡 Who knows who it was?

The almost-third I found was Lorenzo Bandini, but he failed to fall into the water. Instead, he was trapped under his car, while it was burning, and he died. He did crash in the same spot as the two water-dwellers, though. I have the video.

Schrodes
Auto Avio Construzione.

Oh yeah. The small company also worked with Piaggio and RIV. Of course, they also made war planes, which made it a sweet target during WWII -- the factory was bombed in 1944.

Diego440
The almost-third I found was Lorenzo Bandini, but he failed to fall into the water. Instead, he was trapped under his car, while it was burning, and he died. He did crash in the same spot as the two water-dwellers, though. I have the video.
There was a third, but it's kind of a trick question.

I googled it. And yes it was 1965 that Paul Hawkins went swimming.

edit : I believe that 'Schrodes' has the next question. I am just replying to a pre-existing question.

Mike

Has there ever been a race in the F1 World Championship where every car that started the race has finished? If so, where and who were the top three finishers driving what.

Back