Motorsports Trivia Thread!

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 7,179 comments
Arrows ran the Supertec engine during the 2000 season. Williams and BAR also ran some version of it in 1999.

er... I don't know, Yuichi... the info I have is that Ferrari was the first to use them in Belgium '68. I guess if you can get a valid Internet source on it, you'd get the cake, so to speak.

Maybe Lotus did use front or side wings, but the question spoke of rear wings.

Diego440
er... I don't know, Yuichi... the info I have is that Ferrari was the first to use them in Belgium '68. I guess if you can get a valid Internet source on it, you'd get the cake, so to speak.

Maybe Lotus did use front or side wings, but the question spoke of rear wings.
Depends on whether you would call this a wing or not. I think it is. It certainly looks like it's producing downforce.

Pic scanned from "Lotus - All the cars" by Anthony Pritchard

I wouldn't personally call it a wing; more of a downforce-inducing rear bonnet. Still, I have no problem with calling it a good answer if there's a general consensus (sp?).

This seems to be a bit of a grey area. I saw that website also Yuichi. I also saw others that said Belgium was the first race where rear wings were used. I decided to go with Belgium because I read somewhere that teams only used wings on the high speed tracks and it wasn't until 1969 that teams discovered that wings are also useful on the slower tracks.
Who is asking the next question?

Talladega?

I know Talladega is where it's located, but I've heard people call it the Talladega track.

OK; Edited. I actually did the search on it. It's called Super Speedway now. Wonder where they got that name...

*reminisces the GT3 Super Sleepway*

Yep, it's Talladega.
Alabama International Motor Speedway opened in 1969 and it's name was changed to Talladega Superspeedway in 1989.

Alright! I used to live in the US next to some rednecks and they were quite fans of the 'tldega...

Alright, here's the question. The answer is quite fun.

Why did Niki Lauda retrospectively gain fifth place in the 1974 British GP?

He had a pucture whilst leading the race and had to pit at the end of the penultimate lap. After changing his tyres he found the exit to the pitlane blocked by 'hangers-on' - people who shouldn't have been in the pitlane.

It took a lot of argueing before Ferrari managed to get Lauda classified 5th - he was initially classified 9th.

So let me get this straight, you disappear for about 5 days and then reappear and answer so quickly my super hard question? :grumpy:

Just kidding.

Yep, that why. Although I believe Lauda was running third, with a couple of laps to go, when one of his tires started to let go. Time for a mad dash Ferrari pitstop, which was duly done, and he left the pit lane like a rocket...

Or at least he would have done, if it wasn't for the fact that the pitlane exit was blocked with several dozen officials, a number of corporate guests of the RAC, one or two pitlane marshals all spectating, none of them anticipating a car exiting the pitlane at this late stage of the race.

Oh, and some were even using a Ford Cortina course car as a grandstand, so even if people had moved out of the way, the car would still not have been able to get by.

As a result, Lauda, trapped in the pitlane was classified a lap down - and ninth.
Naturally, it went to arbitration, and six months after the event, it was decided he had a realistic chance of being on the lead lap, and so was awarded fifth. Two points.

nice anecdote... OK, wastegate... shoot

It's a symptom of getting older that I can remember what happened 30 years ago better than I can remember what happened 3 years ago.

An easy one (if you google it - I imagine), what was Graham Hill's first name?

That was probably too easy;) Somehow I don't think Hill would have won all he did, the World Championship, Le Mans, the Indy 500, 5 Monaco GPs if he'd been using the name Norman. It just doesn't sound like a racing driver's name.

Hey, that's a 1989 Lancia Delta HF Integrale Group A... right?

I may be off for a year or two, maybe

Diego440
I may be off for a year or two, maybe
Not just a year or 2, but it's the wrong car......

But that's what you were supposed to think. You fell into my trap.... BWAHAHAHA

I beg to differ... the Rally version is still based on the Delta HF Integrale. In fact, there was one road version with the same painted colors as the rally version, in honour of the car. The 037 Rallye '83 was completely different. See the attached picture for additional visual support

Attachments

• Lancias.jpg
    Lancias.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 16
Diego440
I beg to differ... the Rally version is still based on the Delta HF Integrale. In fact, there was one road version with the same painted colors as the rally version, in honour of the car. The 037 Rallye '83 was completely different. See the attached picture for additional visual support
The pic is of a Lancia 037. Wastegate said it was a Lancia 037. It is not a Delta. They are 2 completely different cars. Lancia went from the Grp B 037 to the Grp B Delta S4 and then to the Grp A Delta HF.

http://www.qv500.com/lancia037p2.htm

well, perhaps Lancia did more than one fascia to the 037, judging by the different front grilles of this picture and the one i attached... still, the front looks like the delta... alrighty then

The Delta was a small front-wheel-drive hatchback which only became a 4WD rally car (the Integrale) after Gp B was axed. The 037 pre-dated this, and was a purpose-built rear-wheel-drive Gp B with a spaceframe chassis. It was styled to look similar to Lancias roadcars.

Latest Posts

Back