Motorsports Trivia Thread!

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 7,179 comments
What have F1 champions: Schumacher, Senna, Alonso, D. Hill and Villeneuve done that Hamilton, Rosberg, Raikkonen, Vettel and Hakkinen have not. (neither of these lists are comprehensive of all champions. There are more in each category).

What have F1 champions: Schumacher, Senna, Alonso, D. Hill and Villeneuve done that Hamilton, Rosberg, Raikkonen, Vettel and Hakkinen have not. (neither of these lists are comprehensive of all champions. There are more in each category).

Won a WDC in a year when they weren't beaten to a race win by their teammate?

Won at Jerez?

Is it WDC related or something else?

Been DSQed?
I don't think Alonso has been DSQ'ed.

Here's a hint. Adding to the first list includes driver like: Perez, Webber, Heidfeld, Trulli, Alesi, Katayama, Barrichello, Warwick.

Adding to the second: Coulthard, Kobayashi, Sutil, Verstappen, Sato, Montoya, Bottas

When did Michael Schumacher flip an F1 car? Hill did it in practice for Portugal 1994, Senna did it at Mexico, Villeneuve in that tragic accident at Australia 2001 and Alonso in Melbourne too but I can't quite recall MSC doing it.

When did Michael Schumacher flip an F1 car? Hill did it in practice for Portugal 1994, Senna did it at Mexico, Villeneuve in that tragic accident at Australia 2001 and Alonso in Melbourne too but I can't quite recall MSC doing it.
Villeneuve also did it at Spa in 1999
Schumacher went over in practice at Australia in 2001

Looks like he flipped a Ferrari in 2001. Again, in Australia.

I wouldn’t say that Villeneuve’s Australia was a flip was it? Unless my memory is fading, he went airborne into the fence but never actually went upside down did he?

Schumacher’s flip is quite a forgotten one. Not many videos of it on YouTube either.

Edit: Rewatched Villeneuve’s accident and noticed that he did flip once entering the gravel, similar to Alonso’s 2016 crash at the same corner.

Also here is Schumacher’s flip for those who haven’t seen it.

Last edited:
Such a harmless looking spin to start with.

That's why gravel run-offs aren't always the answer.

Question: What did Berger do that led to another driver being detained at an airport? Who was the other driver (should be obvious to those who are old enough)?

He somehow defaced Sienna's passport & had a good ol laugh about it too :lol:

Legendary Berger.

Indeed. He replaced the picture, versions of the story vary between "male genitalia" or some boobies. Senna was famous enough that his passport was rarely checked, but when it eventually was... :D

Your go.

Indeed. He replaced the picture, versions of the story vary between "male genitalia" or some boobies. Senna was famous enough that his passport was rarely checked, but when it eventually was... :D

Your go.
I thought it was a pic of a bottom/behind but wasn't sure.

I remember reading about it at the time but the finer details escape me all these years later.

I'll have to think up a suitable question for all & post it.

In the two litre era, 1991 until today, there have been 19 works manufacturers in the British Touring Car Championship.

Name them without looking it up.

I'm just going to panic write all manufacturers I can think of that have entered the BTCC and hope that the 19 are in there somewhere.

Volvo
Honda
Vauxhall
Renault
Alfa Romeo
Peugeot
Toyota
Ford
Nissan
BMW
Audi
Chevrolet
Mazda
MG
Seat
Mercedes
Subaru
VW
Proton
Mitsubishi

I know of only one F1 championship race won by a driver with the use of only one eye.

Please name the driver, car and event.

upload_2018-1-28_16-5-49.jpeg

Stirling Moss, Cooper, Argentine GP 1958?
Correct!
Stirling Moss drove a 1960cc Rob Walker Cooper-Climax to victory in the Argentine GP January 19, 1958 - 60 years ago - wearing an eye-patch. Katie had accidentally poked him in the eye the day before. His car was 2 seconds a lap off the pace from the quicker cars, but he won by avoiding a pit stop. By the end, his front tires were down to the cords and he was driving on the grass alongside the track to keep the tires cool. The MoV over Musso in a Ferrari was 2.7 seconds.

This was the first victory for a Cooper in an F1 championship GP, and the first victory for a rear-engined F1 car in a championship GP.
note: Rear-engine Auto-Unions won numerous GPs before WWII in the European championship, then the top level of GP racing.

@ watertank Please take a turn and ask your own trivia question. You have won the right!

Can someone tell me what Porsche this is?

soiw5wsdh1kskwntzw6g.jpg

Back