Motorsports Trivia Thread!

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 7,179 comments
If Grosjean and Sirotkin score WDC points during the 2018 Formula 1 season it'll be a really big deal... but why?

It'll be the first time every driver has scored a point in an F1 season.

And this was achieved at Monza with Sirotkin being classified 10th and getting a point. Coincidentally, it was Grosjean being disqualified which led to Sirotkin getting that 10th place but Grosjean has four points finishes by now already.

points.png

I love how it was only Grosjean that got disqualified from Monza, even though surely Magnussen also ran the illegal bodywork.

I wondered about that too. Perhaps they'd already managed to get a legal floor for his car?

I thought I saw something online saying they had a new floor for Magnussen before Italy, which was the deadline, then Haas asked for an extention for Grosjean to get a new floor for Singapore, which was denied. I'll try and find a link.

EDIT:

There was one particular year in the history of the Indy 500 in which the most dramatic increase in lap speed was attained, nearly 18 mph faster than the previous record. Identify the year, speed, car, engine, driver and sponsor. Hint: the car was sponsored by a toilet seat.

No idea on the rest, but I'll take a shot in the dark: Same year as Gordon Smiley's death, 1982?
No, it was earlier than that.

But instead I'll ask a question that's probably a lot easier to answer: Name one time 3 antipodeans claimed the top 3 spots in an F1 GP.

Of the Formula 1 drivers who have started more than 10 Grand Prix, who have the top 3 finishing record, in terms of percentage of races finished?

Open question:

The 1994 Formula One season featured, in total, 46 different drivers. 25 of those drivers scored points meaning 21 drivers failed to score points.

Excluding the Indy years, these three must surely be records?

Check it out; it really is the most extraordinary of any Wikipedia motorsport table. And that's before factoring in drivers like Herbert, Lehto, de Cesaris and Alliot who drove at least one race for two different teams that year. Herbert even drove for three.

Last edited:
A couple of poignantly short entries there. I hadn't realised that Ratzenberger was ahead of Senna on results when the teams reached Imola.

ratz.JPG

senna.JPG

Wendlinger's season was only one race longer, of course, but he recovered from his Monaco injuries to race the following year. Astonishing that Barichello didn't miss more races given the severity of his Imola crash. Astonishing season altogether, easy to forget that it was the norm for fewer than half of the grid to make the chequered flag.

Check it out; it really is the most extraordinary of any Wikipedia motorsport table. And that's before factoring in drivers like Herbert, Lehto, de Cesaris and Alliot who drove at least one race for two different teams that year. Herbert even drove for three.
I sympathize with the underdog teams. Pacific Racing competed every round in 1994. Bertrand Gachot qualified five times, Paul Belmondo qualified twice. All seven starts were DNFs. They failed to qualify either car in eleven races, including the last ten races in a row.

A couple of poignantly short entries there. I hadn't realised that Ratzenberger was ahead of Senna on results when the teams reached Imola.

View attachment 770436
View attachment 770437

Wendlinger's season was only one race longer, of course, but he recovered from his Monaco injuries to race the following year. Astonishing that Barichello didn't miss more races given the severity of his Imola crash. Astonishing season altogether, easy to forget that it was the norm for fewer than half of the grid to make the chequered flag.
Plus Andrea Montermini, who recorded 1 DNQ after a monster shunt in Barcelona practice at the final corner...

Here's a question to keep us going:

What is the most frequent surname of all Formula One drivers?

Additionally, nine surnames hold the record for second-most common surname. What is it?

There is a simple list of drivers sorted alphabetically on Wikipedia but let's please at least pretend to have the magic of a quiz and use your own knowledge only.

If the frequency of the second most common is 2, then we have Brabham, Andretti, Schumacher, Rosberg, Senna, Jones (?).

Last edited:
How about Jones? I must have edited that one in while you were performing smackdown on my post :P

I get the feeling this one is heavily influenced by the one off appearances of guys in the Indy 500 when is counted as an F1 race.

There have been 3 Villeneuve's. Gilles, Jacques and Jacques.

There has been at least 3 Hills. Phil, Graham & Damon.

Both correct

How about Jones?

Only two! Alan and, uh... Tom.

I get the feeling this one is heavily influenced by the one off appearances of guys in the Indy 500 when is counted as an F1 race.

Well deduced and I will say that actually, only two of the second most common surnames have an Indy link and both of those names only have one Indy driver. I mean, it does "count" but it's really not as heavily influenced as you might have thought.

Most Common

???

Second Most Common

Brabham - Jack, Gary and David Barra333
Villeneuve - Gilles, Jacques Sr, Jacques daan
Hill - Graham, Phil, Damon daan
???
???
???
???
???
???

Last edited:
Two Fittipaldi's? Or Fittipaldii?

Three is the second most common but Fittipaldi is one of them. Emerson's brother also raced and was the founder of the Fittipaldi team, not Emerson himself. Wilson's son Christian was a 1990s midfielder.

Most Common

???

Second Most Common

Villeneuve - Gilles, Jacques Sr and Jacques daan
Hill - Graham, Phil and Damon daan
Fittipaldi - Emerson, Wilson and Christian TenEightyOne
???
???
???
???
???

Last edited:
There's been a few Winkelhocks. Manfred, Marcus & Joachim (or is it Jo?)

Also correct!

Most Common

???

Second Most Common

Villeneuve - Gilles, Jacques Sr and Jacques daan
Hill - Graham, Phil and Damon daan
Fittipaldi - Emerson, Wilson and Christian TenEightyOne
Winkelhock - Manfred, Joachim and Markus daan
???
???
???
???

Open question:

The 1994 Formula One season featured, in total, 46 different drivers. 25 of those drivers scored points meaning 21 drivers failed to score points.

Excluding the Indy years, these three must surely be records?

Check it out
; it really is the most extraordinary of any Wikipedia motorsport table. And that's before factoring in drivers like Herbert, Lehto, de Cesaris and Alliot who drove at least one race for two different teams that year. Herbert even drove for three.
Shout-out to Nicola Larini who only entered two races and finished in second in one of them, and Mansell, who entered four and won one of them.

Have to give credit to Schumacher that season too, despite some dodginess. Didn't place lower than second in any race he finished.

Rodriguez? there were the two brothers Pedro and Ricardo, but it's a pretty popular latin surname.

Back