Motorsports Trivia Thread!

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 7,179 comments
This is all completely skewed though by the fact that Senna was one of the best Qualifiers of all time.

Legitimately, this would suggest that critics of Vettel who suggest that he can only win from the front should also reappraise Schumacher, Senna, Hamilton et al or at least cut Vettel a bit of slack. For that 2010-13 period, he did what they all did too; win from the front.

This was exactly the reason I brought Senna's winning start positions up, although I didn't expect our dearly departed friend to notice, or care if he did.

Be interesting to see what the biggest in race climbs ala Perez at Sakhir are, since functionally there's very little difference between starting a race from the back and dropping to the back on lap 1 after getting punted.

All 17 drivers who finished the 2020 Sakhir Grand Prix finished on the Lead Lap. Is there an F1 race where more drivers finished on the lead lap with nobody classified as any laps down?

Obviously the late Safety Car allowed everyone to be unlapped, but as Sakhir was the shortest circuit in F1 history in terms of laptime it's still a surprise to see nobody finish a lap down. Pietro Fittipaldi in 17th was only 36 seconds off the leader at the flag.

Basically the question is, can anyone find a race where the last finishing driver (in at best 17th) was closer to the leader than 36 seconds?

Open Question:

The classic position for holding a steering wheel is a 9-3 position. Jean Alesi frequently used to hold his steering wheel at a 10-2 position and sometimes even what looked more like an 11-1 position. So I'm not talking about driving styles but are there any other drivers with idiosyncratic driving positions? I know it depends on the shape of the wheel too but I'd be curious to know.

Open Question:

The classic position for holding a steering wheel is a 9-3 position. Jean Alesi frequently used to hold his steering wheel at a 10-2 position and sometimes even what looked more like an 11-1 position. So I'm not talking about driving styles but are there any other drivers with idiosyncratic driving positions? I know it depends on the shape of the wheel too but I'd be curious to know.

Archie Scott Brown drove with his hand at 9 and his stump at 4.

Interestingly, Nick Heidfeld holds the record for most Podiums without a win in both Formula 1 and Formula E! (13 and 8 respectively)
If only Nico Prost wasn't such a bonehead.

It's interesting, after his domination of feeder series, throughout the 2000's his win column shows a long and almost straight line of 0's save for a single American Le Mans series victory.

TIL Jenson Button raced against Max Verstappen, Max's dad Jos, and Max's mum Sophie (in karting, as teammates).

(Also in checking this post I realised how 90s Max's 2020 results were.)

Edit: When this coming season starts Hamilton, Raikkonen and Alonso will have raced against Michael, Ralf, and Mick Schumacher.

Last edited:
racing-driver-johnny-bute-marquess-of-bute-aka-johnny-news-photo-1616442256.

who what where

Johnny Dumfries, but no idea what and where. The man who could have lived a pure jet-set life but decided to be a skilled racing driver instead.

Lotus 98T is the 1986 car. I have no idea what races were wet that year but it could just be practice. Random guess... Hungaroring?

It's wet and one of the circuits that allowed tobacco sponsorship. So, 7th Marquess of Bute, Lotus 98T, Spa?

While looking up Dumfries, I ended up on Elio de Angelis' page and saw that he finished 3rd in the Championship in 1984 without winning a race. I descended through the stats Rabbit Hole to see if that's a unique stat or something more common I was quite surprised by how many occasions it happened. These are the drivers who've finished in the top 3 of the Championship despite not winning a race that year.

2nd: Peterson 1971
2nd: Farina 1952
3rd: Webber 2013
3rd: Button 2004
3rd: Montoya 2002
3rd: Barrichello 2001
3rd: Patrese 1989
3rd: de Angelis 1984
3rd: McLaren 1969
3rd: Rindt 1966
3rd: Ginther 1963
3rd: Musso 1957
3rd: Castellotti 1955
3rd: Fagioli 1950

Quite true. However, one doesn't win 14 out of 17 rounds in the British F3 championship - or the Le Mans overall race - by just deciding that racing is fun. He had actual skills for it.

Had Lotus not wanted to switch engine partners for 87, and Nakajima in the 2nd seat as part of that deal, i think he'd have had a much better showing in his second year. He admittedly out-psyched himself early that year and lost all confidence in his abilities. The 98T wasn't particularly reliable either. JPS may have stayed around longer as a F1 sponsor if he'd got a second chance. That's F1 professional motorsport for you!

Last edited:
Which impressive Formula 1 achievement is the top 3 this:
1: Kevin Magnussen
2: Felipe Nasr
3: Giancarlo Baghetti, Johnnie Parsons, Giuseppe Farina

Open Question:

I couldve sworn Jos Verstappen drove with both hands touching on top of the steering wheel in his early F1 career

Last edited:
Just a random fact that piqued my interest: Max Verstappen has started 120 Grands Prix, won 10 of them and scored 43 podiums.

He's still not yet as old as Senna was at Monaco 1984.

Teammate Tracer:

Jack Brabham - Eddie Cheever
Klaus Ludwig - Ayrton Senna
Peter Brock - Pedro de la Rosa

How few can they be done in?

Last edited:
Back