Motorsports Trivia Thread!

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 7,179 comments
Jack Brabham - Eddie Cheever

Jack Brabham shared the #56 Rothmans Porsche 956 at the 1984 Sandown 1000 with Johnny Dumfries. Dumfries won the 1988 Le Mans 24 Hours in the #2 TWR Silk Cut Jaguar XJR-9LM with Andy Wallace and Jan Lammers. At the previous year's Le Mans 24 Hours, Lammers had shared the #4 TWR Silk Cut Jaguar XJR-8LM with Raul Boesel and Eddie Cheever.

Jack Brabham - Johnny Dumfries - Jan Lammers - Eddie Cheever

Klaus Ludwig - Ayrton Senna

Klaus Ludwig shared the #7 Joest Racing Porsche 956 with Henri Pescarolo to win the 1984 Le Mans 24 Hours, round 3 of that year's World Sportscar Championship. Pescarolo (and Stefan Johansson) shared the same car with Ayrton Senna at round 4, the Nurburgring 1000km.

Klaus Ludwig - Henri Pescarolo - Ayrton Senna

Peter Brock - Pedro de la Rosa

Peter Brock shared the #05 Vauxhall Vectra at the 1997 AMP Bathurst 1000 with Derek Warwick. In the final 2 rounds of the 1990 F1 season, Warwick was teammates at Lotus with Johnny Herbert. In the 2000 F1 season Herbert was teammates at Jaguar with Eddie Irvine, and was replaced by Pedro de la Rosa the following season.

Peter Brock - Derek Warwick - Johnny Herbert - Eddie Irvine - Pedro de la Rosa

I tried to get from one commentator to another: John Hindhaugh - Neil Crompton

John Hindhaugh (2013 360MRC 6 Hours Donington) Andy Meyrick (2011 Le Mans 24 Hours) Adrian Fernandez (1998 CART) Scott Pruett (2010 V8 Supercars round 10) Cameron McConville (1999 Bathurst 1000) Craig Lowndes (2001 Bathurst 1000) Neil Crompton

I feel like there must be a shorter route.

At the 1957 German Grand Prix, Fangio was at least 30 seconds ahead of Hawthorn and left the pits 48 seconds behind him so I'd say 2 minutes, give or take. And of course, Fangio made up the three-quarters of a minute and won the race.

If you overlook the traditional definition of a "pit stop", Coulthard was in the garage for at least 4-5 minutes at the 1998 Belgian Grand Prix before rejoining after having his rear wing replaced.

Last edited:
Formula 1's YouTube channel has posted a Grill The Grid challenging the drivers to name a team for every letter of the alphabet, and they're including the 50s/60s Indy 500 teams. It's surprisingly hard. There's nothing for Q, U, X or Y. I did badly. Without looking it up, give it a go!

Roo
Formula 1's YouTube channel has posted a Grill The Grid challenging the drivers to name a team for every letter of the alphabet, and they're including the 50s/60s Indy 500 teams. It's surprisingly hard. There's nothing for Q, U, X or Y. I did badly. Without looking it up, give it a go!

I gave myself 3-4 minutes.

Alfa Romeo
Brabham
Cooper
D
Eagle
Ferrari
Gordini
Honda
Iso-Marlboro
Jordan
Kojima
Larrousse
McLaren
N
Osella
Penske
Red Bull
Stewart
Tyrrell
Vanwall
Williams
Zakspeed

Yes, Larrousse came to me quicker than Lotus did.

I then strained for another 5-6 minutes over the ones I didn't get and Dallara should have come to me. NART is a team I know but it just completely escaped me.

Last edited:
My attempt.

Arrows
Benetton
Copersucar
De tomaso
Ensign
Fittipaldi
G
Hesketh
Iso
Jordan
K
Ligier
Minardi
N
Onyx
Penske
Q
Renault
Shadow
Theodore
U
Vanwall
Williams
X
Y
Zakspeed

ATS, Brabham, Connaught, D, ERA, Ferrari, Gordini, Hispania, I, Jaguar, Kurtis Kraft, Lotus, Manor, N, O, Porsche, Renault, Sauber, Tyrrell, Virgin, Wolf, Zakspeed.

This got me thinking, what's the longest Formula 1 pit stop in history according to official timing?
Back in 2005, didn't some of the drivers return in the last few laps of the race as unclassified finishers, so as to take advantage of that season's one-lap qualifying rules? Those probably had to be some of the longest pit stops, if they can be considered as such. Presumably, if the vehicle is driven in and out of the pits by the driver during racing conditions, and all work is completed in the pit or garage area within safety/sporting regulations, then that's a de facto pit stop.

Last edited:
The 2021 Formula One season has 20 drivers. 11 of those drivers are Grand Prix winners:

Kimi Räikkönen
Fernando Alonso
Lewis Hamilton
Sebastian Vettel
Daniel Ricciardo
Max Verstappen
Valtteri Bottas
Charles LeClerc
Pierre Gasly
Sergio Perez
Esteban Ocon

11/20 is more than half, 55% in fact.

Can any other Formula One season claim a greater number or percentage?

Interestingly, about half of those drivers have been in Formula 1 for at least a decade (with only two of them having been there for 2). Also interesting to note that despite having only four champions on the grid in 2021 compared to 2012, it is tied at the number of championships between them.

Last edited:
The 2021 Formula One season has 20 drivers. 11 of those drivers are Grand Prix winners:

Kimi Räikkönen
Fernando Alonso
Lewis Hamilton
Sebastian Vettel
Daniel Ricciardo
Max Verstappen
Valtteri Bottas
Charles LeClerc
Pierre Gasly
Sergio Perez
Esteban Ocon

I figured 2012 would maybe hit that with already having 7 winners in the first 7 races.
But nope, those 7 are nearly all the drivers on the grid that year that ever won a race. And 6 of them were world champions already (+1 future champion).
You do get to 12 drivers if you include drivers that would go on to win a race in the future.

Last edited:

Kimi Räikkönen
Fernando Alonso
Lewis Hamilton
Sebastian Vettel
Daniel Ricciardo
Max Verstappen
Valtteri Bottas
Charles LeClerc
Pierre Gasly
Sergio Perez
Esteban Ocon

Not including future winners, by the end of the 1982 season 16 winners had taken part, but not all in the same race. It also falls short as a percentage (16 of 40 who entered, so 40%, or 16 of 38 who qualified for at least one race, so 42%).

I figured the 1967 season would be a good pick; 19 past/present/future winners but also 38 drivers (excluding F2 one-off drivers). Fifty percent.

Throw in Guy Ligier (6 GP wins as a constructor) and Chris Amon, and that's a pretty good field.

TIL after his F1 debacle, Andrea Sassetti sponsered the Euromotorsport team in CART in 1993. Andrea Montermini, pictured, was one of the revolving door of drivers for the team that season.

240437432_371028981191375_7218790129292346725_n.jpg

Between this guy and William Storey, I'm starting to think we should all be aware of Black cars with very "Charismatic" personalities attached to the sponsorship.

George Russell has, thus far, been outscored in points by his first three consecutive teammates; Kubica, Bottas, Latifi.
Russell has now finally outscored Latifi at the 28th time of asking.

With today's driver announcements we now know the 2022 F1 season will feature 3 full time Asian drivers (Tsunoda, Albon, Zhou).

I wonder - is this a record? Is there a season in history with more Asians on the grid?

In your answers, beware of Russians - Nikita Mazepin is from Moscow, making him European, whereas Daniil Kvyat is from Ufa, which I believe makes him Asian as it is East of the Volga River.

Let's try to search for full season drivers only - I believe in the 70s at Fuji there were a fair few one off Japanese entries.

With today's driver announcements we now know the 2022 F1 season will feature 3 full time Asian drivers (Tsunoda, Albon, Zhou).

I wonder - is this a record? Is there a season in history with more Asians on the grid?

In your answers, beware of Russians - Nikita Mazepin is from Moscow, making him European, whereas Daniil Kvyat is from Ufa, which I believe makes him Asian as it is East of the Volga River.

Let's try to search for full season drivers only - I believe in the 70s at Fuji there were a fair few one off Japanese entries.
1995 had Taki Inoue (all), Ukyo Katayama (missed one) and Aguri Suzuki (shared 50% with Brundle).

1995 had Taki Inoue (all), Ukyo Katayama (missed one) and Aguri Suzuki (shared 50% with Brundle).
I had a quick look through the 90's and early 2000's and that was the best I saw. Lots of years with two full time Japanese drivers and a cameo from a third. If you want to get really liberal with the definition of Asia, 2002 has Mark Webber, Alex Yoong and Takuma Sato.

1994 Japanese Grand Prix featured Ukyo Katayama, Taki Inoue and Hideki Noda.

David Brabham also drove but that does not count as Asian in my book.

Last edited:
1994 Japanese Grand Prix featured Ukyo Katayama, Taki Inoue and Hideki Noda.

David Brabham also drove but that does not count as Asian in my book.
Yeah, I'm counting Australia/NZ as Oceania here (as Ricciardo would make 4, if Asian)

Back