MR Corvette C8 - General Discussion

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,295 comments
While I will of course wait for the reveal to make any conclusions, I also think it looks quite ungainly. The front is okay, but the rear is just a mish-mash of shapes that don't work together. It also looks like they're keeping the wheels pushed out the corners, meaning a very high offset like the C7. Personally, I think mid-engine cars look the best with deep dish or highly concave wheels, especially on the rear. But the C7's offset doesn't allow that and it seems like this won't either.

In race-car form it looked a bit better, so if (when) there's a wider high-performance variant, it might resolve a few styling issues with the rear half.

For those who dont know, the car has tons of padding under the vinyl. So it doesnt just hide the lines, it actually changes them, that why it looks so odd.
You can see that here on the side scoop:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-04-16-00-20-57.png
    Screenshot_2019-04-16-00-20-57.png
    245.9 KB · Views: 45
One main problem that I'm seeing if ever the new Corvette will become MR is its pricing. I'm sure it will definitely costs more than a conventional FR Corvette.

I have heard about the camo padding, so I hope it addresses some of the issues with the design I have.

The price is more than the C7, but not absurdly more, supposedly. About 10k more to start. Another thing though, is that mid-engined cars are usually a lot less practical. The FR Corvette has a large trunk that's not possible to be replicated for this car most likely.

Didn't Corvette become a brand of its own a while ago, making this a Corvette and not the Corvette?

I have heard about the camo padding, so I hope it addresses some of the issues with the design I have.

The price is more than the C7, but not absurdly more, supposedly. About 10k more to start. Another thing though, is that mid-engined cars are usually a lot less practical. The FR Corvette has a large trunk that's not possible to be replicated for this car most likely.

That's not true, necessarily. The original NSX and Boxster are both examples of MR sports cars with trunks at both ends. My Boxster has 11.2 cubic feet of cargo room, compared to just 4.6 cubic feet in a Miata. I can actually fit quite a bit of stuff in my car, especially as the 'frunk' is pretty deep. Granted the C7 Corvette is something like 15 cubic feet, but that's because it has a large hatch area.

A few things come to mind looking at that image.

Cheap
Uninspiring
Why would i buy this car over a 720
Why would i buy this car over a 488
Why would i buy this car over a 911

:)
If I have enough cash for a 488 or a 720S I'm already hardly in the market for a Corvette anyways so I really don't understand what you're trying to get at

Why would I get an A110 over an Aventador
Why get a Cayman over a Pagani Huayra
Why get a Mustang over an Aston Martin DB11

Last edited:
A few things come to mind looking at that image.

Cheap
Uninspiring
Why would i buy this car over a 720
Why would i buy this car over a 488
Why would i buy this car over a 911

:)

The only one of those at the moment that has any sort of fair competition with a C8 is the 911. Because I am definitely am going to do comparisons with a supercar that will be quickly phased out knowing McLaren's scatterbrain ideals with regards to models, and a vehicle that is being replaced in a year's time (Or, when this car hits showroom floors) with a 700 HP model as a baseline.

Come on dude.

If I have enough cash for a 488 or a 720S I'm already hardly in the market for a Corvette anyways so I really don't understand what you're trying to get at

Why would I get an A110 over an Aventador
Why get a Cayman over a Pagani Huayra
Why get a Mustang over an Aston Martin DB11

But i thought this was corvettes answer to those cars?

So you telling me corvettes will continue to be a cheap alternative to those cars :confused: Now i'm really confused

So you telling me corvettes will continue to be a cheap alternative to those cars :confused: Now i'm really confused

In time, when the Z06 and the ZR1 come out. Do you really think that Chevrolet is going to be shooting their load and bringing out the big guns while alienating the more blue collar customer base that has been built up over the years?

The people buying regular Corvettes aren't even close to being in the market for a 300 thousand dollar supercar that is only vaguely related because it's midengined too now. They don't come out with Z06s and what have you until later, this is about the regular C8 Corvette.

The people buying regular Corvettes aren't even close to being in the market for a 300 thousand dollar supercar that is only vaguely related because it's midengined too now

Exactly. Even the 911 comparison is only really fair in the beginning if it's being done with the standard Carrera.

Exactly. Even the 911 comparison is only really fair in the beginning if it's being done with the standard Carrera.
Even base Carreras start at almost 100 grand, and I'm pretty sure barely anyone buys stripper 911s so most of them should breach the 100 grand mark, and this is just the normal Carrera.

Back