MR Corvette C8 - General Discussion

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,295 comments
Must be the angle of the photo, but I genuinely thought the rest of the car was covered. The greenhouse looks so low compared to the rear, you almost have to ask how you can see out the rear glass.

I'll hold my opinion on the looks until it's fully revealed. But after the past couple designs GM has produced, I'm not so sure.

That rear picture and this one really doesn't make the car look promising.

Screenshot_20190708_185224.jpg

I have no doubt that this C8 will be a good, fast car.

I'm also pretty certain it will be an ugly car. Shame, as the last 4 generations of 'Vette were great looking cars, even if in a plasticy kind of way. Has anyone seen an early C4 lately? Their simple & lithe shape has really aged well, especially from the rear.

I have no doubt that this C8 will be a good, fast car.

I'm also pretty certain it will be an ugly car. Shame, as the last 4 generations of 'Vette were great looking cars, even if in a plasticy kind of way. Has anyone seen an early C4 lately? Their simple & lithe shape has really aged well, especially from the rear.

I honestly thought both the C6 and C7 were ugly but both have grown on me a lot since their initial launches. I feel like this will be the same and it'll age well. That's one thing I like about Corvettes - they all age well.*

*opinionated statement

“So... let’s start with a normal looking mid-engined car, yes? Like maybe an NSX. Then we have to Chevy-ify it. We’ll take the front and make it look barely like a Corvette!! And then - here’s the kicker - we’ll stick a Camaro rear on the thing! Absolutely genius, right?”

tenor.gif

It's admittedly a leaked photo, so not representative of the final product. But that's not a good look. How does it look so cheap? Camaro-fying the R8's rear end does both cars a disservice.

Considering their places in automotive history, it's interesting to contrast this with the 992. Porsche is often accused of being slavishly dedicated to the past with the endless refining of the 911 shape, whereas Chevrolet has reimagined the 'Vette a few times now. Remember how shocking the C7 was at first? IMO it's aged well, still looking pretty fantastic out on the move.

This is the biggest change yet, but if these leaks are anything to go by, I feel like a good chunk of people will wish the bow tie showed a little more restraint.

Last edited:
Hmm... the front angle looks better proportioned. I don't know though, I don't like the way it just kinda looks like a mid engined C7. And it just doesn't look particularly well built for some reason.

Now I wonder how the C5.R would have went, were it MR during its Le Mans debut.

Any word if Corvette are looking into GT3 and GT4 categories?

Any word if Corvette are looking into GT3 and GT4 categories?
Gonna go with a no on that. They’ve got GTLM to worry about, and GT3 is basically Callaway’s territory.

Ugh, that latest leak looks like those old Bahar Lotus concepts made real. It's getting worse...

Putting the design topic aside, is it true Chevy said that they will still utilize the dated 6.2L pushrod V8 on this MR Corvette? That's according to this article. I thought they will use a newer powerful engine on this one.

I'm going to guess it's a move to keep price hikes as small as possible. There's nothing inherently wrong with the design either, especially the use of pushrods.

I'm going to guess it's a move to keep price hikes as small as possible. There's nothing inherently wrong with the design either, especially the use of pushrods.
Well, I know already about the cheaper manufacturing costs that comes with the said design but putting it on a MR layout sports car? Seriously? I don't know and I bet nobody would take my word for it but for some weird reasons, I just find that one to be so hilarious. :lol:

And it seems doubtful to call this model an all-new if they're still going to use an engine block that's already a decade old. :lol:

Putting the design topic aside, is it true Chevy said that they will still utilize the dated 6.2L pushrod V8 on this MR Corvette? That's according to this article. I thought they will use a newer powerful engine on this one.

Its debut is already set next week, July 18.

https://www.motor1.com/news/358708/chevrolet-midengined-corvette-c8-livestream/
Well, I know already about the cheaper manufacturing costs that comes with the said design but putting it on a MR layout sports car? Seriously? I don't know and I bet nobody would take my word for it but for some weird reasons, I just find that one to be so hilarious. :lol:

And it seems doubtful to call this model an all-new if they're still going to use an engine block that's already a decade old. :lol:
Clarkson hasn't even been on Top Gear for four years now. You don't have to try so hard.

If it isn't broke, and still works well, don't fix it. Besides, the fact that it's being changed from FR to MR should be enough to call it an all new model, but I seriously doubt that you were thinking of that while trying to get across the snark? Come on man.

Latest Posts

Back