MR Corvette C8 - General Discussion

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,295 comments
I just cant help but to look at this and not see 4 exotic cars mashed up into one. Ferrari sf90, Acura NSX, Ferrari f430, and a splash of lambo gallardo.

I’m an not a fan of this design at all tbh. I think they wasted a great opportunity to make a good looking MR Corvette.

Edit: Only the front is ok. I really like the headlights. The back is the worst part. If it ever comes to GT Sport or any GT, Chase Cam would be a huge no no for me :lol:

Edit: It looks like a fictional super car from Burnout or something.

Last edited:
The performance, price, the ditching of the leaf springs, a proper double-clutch transmission, and the fact it still can fit two golf bags to keep angry boomers happy are all really impressive. Even the interior doesn't seem to have any whiff of GM cheapness.

However, the entire car seems let down by the god-awful styling, which further proves that corporate design language is terrible. Seriously, it looks like took a Camaro and pressed it into the mold of an early 2000's supercar. I suspect the same jerk that was in charge of designing the horrific Camaro update (you know, the one they had to do an emergency redesign on) is responsible for this. Maybe it looks better in person, but I doubt it. The proportions are all wrong, it sits way too high, and the wheel offset is tragic.

A manual option, higher quality interior, that badge (it'd be silly to deny that's a major factor in this market). As @Moglet pointed out, price advantage outside of good 'ol USA. If the C8 price is more than the C7's in pounds, you're looking at the GT4 versus this, and I imagine that makes the choice much, much more difficult.

Looking at it more, I like aspects, but the rear half of the car is just so, so bad. The black wing helps a bit, but body coloured, it just makes things worse. Corvette faithfuls will forgive it no matter what it looks like, and that price/performance mix on this side of the Atlantic is hugely appealing. But woof.

Mixed reactions, but that’s to be expected with change. Everyone remember the crapstorm when they went to fixed headlights with the C6? Everyone said it didn’t look like a Corvette.

What's the latest on the engine?

Codenamed the LT2, it's a 6.2 L Small-block V8 pushing out 495 HP & 470 ft/lbs of torque. No other concrete info other than that, as it looks to be a slightly breathed-on version of the mill in the C7 Stingray.

MR cars are very tricky to get a sense of through pictures....they always looks much bigger in photos than they do in person. That said, this car looks big. I will reserve final judgement until I see one in person. For the time being, I'll say I don't think it looks as good as the C7. I think it was the wrong move to carry over a similar design language from the C7 for the new generation. I would have rather seen them go somewhere else with the detailing.

I'll repeat that it's a hell of a lot of exoticness for $60k though.

495 for a base 'Vette isn't what I was expecting, but makes plenty of sense considering the incremental improvements over the generations: 350 > 400 > 430, etc. The front end reminds me all too much of the Evora, and I don't really have a problem with that. The taillights...will take some getting used to because at the moment there's a little too much 'Camaro' there and I'm not a particular fan of design fusion in this regard.

For a first-gen MR effort, I'm more than interested in how the design evolves over time. If there were one thing to change, it's the quarter panels. I can't decide if they're too aggressive, or too plain.

495 for a base 'Vette isn't what I was expecting, but makes plenty of sense considering the incremental improvements over the generations: 350 > 400 > 430, etc. The front end reminds me all too much of the Evora, and I don't really have a problem with that. The taillights...will take some getting used to because at the moment there's a little too much 'Camaro' there and I'm not a particular fan of design fusion in this regard.

For a first-gen MR effort, I'm more than interested in how the design evolves over time. If there were one thing to change, it's the quarter panels. I can't decide if they're too aggressive, or too plain.
I mean they could have squeezed out another 5hp for an even 500 lol. Those baseline numbers bother especially the hp. I'm just anal I guess.

Does anyone else think it’s almost shaped more like a truck(maybe an el Camino) than a sports car?

Last edited:

I always see people say it has Camaro taillights but Camaro took Corvette taillights in the first place with the fifth gen in 2009. They went away from Corvette taillights on the fifth gen refresh and sixth gen but the sixth gen refresh brought back Corvette taillights.

Nailed it... I couldn't have said it better...

I really want GM and Chevrolet to succeed with the new Corvette.... But man, first initial impression of this C8... I really miss the C7, which I consider to be the not so pretty Corvette already...

The design for this C8 is a mess

Personally I though GM would release two version of the Corvette C8, the MR and the FR layouts at the same time...
I wasn't expecting they would be so bold as to release just one...

I am sure a lot of people will like this well priced C8MR, but this car DOES NOTHING to me...

Plain ugly and looks so unbalanced...

Makes a more expensive Acura/Honda NSX looks like a piece of art now... Time for the NSX to get new customers?

I am sad for the Corvette...

Eagerly waiting for the C9 now...

Having written the above, here is how I would spec it

C8.png

Dear lord, it doesn't get better at any angle. That is one terribly designed car from a leading manufacturer. Instead of shooting for the sensual curves of McLaren and Ferrari or the edginess of Lamborghini, they stumped for bits of GTA Spano, Proto Spirra and countless other forgettable start up flights of fancy.

It doesn't help that Lotus are always on the verge of death and built a more modern looking, relatively cheap MR car a whole decade ago...

corvette-side.jpg
A374F06C-FA4E-42F9-90F5-7D374F6C0898.jpeg
FD3CD9D2-1D8C-414A-8A19-6AF9C1443BBC.jpeg

I honestly don't like it, it looks out of proportion all over the place and the rear end is probably the ugliest rear end of any Corvette ever. I'm sure it's performance will be exception for the cost, but it's a no from me.

Not that retro is the right way to go, but I wonder what the C8 could have looked like if they had opted to use the C3 as inspiration, particularly the rear. My biggest problem with the C8 is the rear end has zero elegance. Not that the C7, C6, nor C5 did either (all of them just had tall flat slabs of plastic in the back) but the C8's worst angle is the rear. A few different C3 variants:

1978-Chevrolet-Corvette-C3-Silver-Anniversary-Edition-CX2766-0408_a.jpg

something-special-1969-l36-corvette-rear-view.jpg

There's something nice about a tapered rear. Looks more finished than the 'chop tail of the last few Vettes.

(As an aside, elegance is almost a dead concept in contemporary automotive design. Just about everything is scowling, hyper aggressive, sword-edged, and "bold". We need a renaissance of feminine beauty, dammit. Toyota: Build the S-FR!)

It's really not my thing as a whole, but I honestly don't have any major issues with the fascias. The unresolved space on the rear deck is a little...strange...but it gets better, cleaner, when the spoiler goes away. It could do with less area between the beltline and the wheel openings, but the way it is might make it more liveable.

I do like that sort of rosy bronze.

My opinion gets far less favorable when I look to the interior; that center stack is asinine and the rest is too cluttered.

I like the design overall, though a bit fussy. Like a few others have said, the rear end looks off - it's because it's so narrow and tall. If it were more wide in the back, I feel that'd make a huge difference, and spread the congestion out.

I hope the Grand Sport/Z06/ZR1 do for the C8, what it did for the C6. The wider track brought the looks full circle in that car for me, and I hope it does with the C8.

Interior, engine note, practicality and everything else are spot on to me. Oh... and 0-60 in under 3 seconds @ <$60K - talk about a value proposition 👍 It takes undercutting to a whole new level.

You mean... like this?

corvette-60-years(10).ashx

..or a little bit later, this:
4-Rotor-Corvette-Car-and-Driver-1024x625.jpg

Personally, I'm not sure why it didn't have a split rear screen at the very least. It could easily be achieved with one way painted glass if rear visibility is ever a large consideration on an MR car. Such a missed opportunity to make something groundbreaking for an American marque.

Another thought.

All the cars that now look quite silly for being nearly as expensive or more expensive than the C8:

-A90 Toyota Supra
-Shelby GT350
-Camaro ZL1
-Porsche Boxster
-Nissan GTR
-Jaguar F Type V6

I know Vettes are not for everyone, but I can't get over how much car this is for $60k. It basically makes everything on the market (competition or not) look overpriced. How on earth is a 370z Nismo only $15k cheaper than this? How is a base model BMW 5 series practically the same price? It practically matches the Ferrari F430 spec-for-spec, and is probably much, much faster as well.

Another thought.

All the cars that now look quite silly for being nearly as expensive or more expensive than the C8:

-A90 Toyota Supra
-Shelby GT350
-Camaro ZL1
-Porsche Boxster
-Nissan GTR
-Jaguar F Type V6

I know Vettes are not for everyone, but I can't get over how much car this is for $60k. It basically makes everything on the market (competition or not) look overpriced. How on earth is a 370z Nismo only $15k cheaper than this? How is a base model BMW 5 series practically the same price? It practically matches the Ferrari F430 spec-for-spec, and is probably much, much faster as well.

I had a completely opposing thought, which was how on Earth do you buy a C8 instead of a 90s NSX?

Said Danoff and nobody else. :lol:

I'm completely serious. I don't see anything about it that makes me want it more. I view the extra horsepower in the C8 as a bit of a drawback actually. Keeps me from stretching my car out on the road a little.

Back