MR Corvette C8 - General Discussion

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,295 comments
Looks wise to me it looks alright. Seems like its balancing classic Corvette with with MR proportions which is maybe why in some spots it looks off and some not.

That being said, a somewhat simple V8 for cheap in an MR is very exciting. I still wished they didn't call it a Corvette but if they didn't I guess there wouldn't be a Corvette at all.

As long as reliability wasn't skimped for this to happen I think it might do better than I thought when I first heard they were going MR. But the manual option is still the biggest shame to lose.

Does he know that Europe exists? In the UK the price difference is substantial and makes the Cayman look like a bargain.

As an example:
Corvette Stingray
US - $56,000 (before taxes)
UK - $91,400 (£72,945)

718 Cayman
US - $57,000 (before taxes)
UK - $56,106 (£44,790)

Regarding the car, I love it, I'd have one in that bronze/brown colour in a heartbeat if I could afford it. The interior looks especially good on this one. 👍

Last edited:
Not as bad as id thought it would look. Looks about as cheap as it is, which isnt strictly a bad thing...

definately not the car for me :lol:

Looks terrible. Shape, proportions and styling wise it's 10-15 years behind other MR cars of that size. To be expected i guess with it being a first stab at producing a mid-engined car.

But it's relatively cheap and has strong performance figures on paper. If it handles okay i guess it's job done.

Ugliest generation of corvette ever made.
Front looks like a mix of Ferrari and ugly Japanese prototype, rear looks bulky and designed by a student that likes futuristic stuff and spaceships.

But it's relatively cheap and has strong performance figures on paper. If it handles okay i guess it's job done.

It's 50% of the job done you mean

If I remember correctly, this is Chevy's first foray into a mid-engined car, right?
When Pontiac was a thing, they had the Fiero. That's the first thing that comes to mind for me.

I have to admit though, while the C8 may not be the most magnificent and polished looking car, it’s absolutely nuts that, if it’s actually priced below $60,000, that would make it over $100,000 cheaper than the cheapest mid-engined supercar in the states, the Acura NSX. No doubt that it’s going to cannibalize the sales of many other performance cars.

Rear end as a whole just looks plain weird. That spoiler needs to go, it just looks ugly sitting there with a gap in between then theres the taillights..come on Chevy really. Its really hard for me to believe it will hit 60 below 3 seconds, I mean you're talking chopping off a full second basically from a base c7 by just adding 30hp and making it rwd with a dct but also adding a little over 100lbs. I mean maybe I'm wrong and it really could do it that fast we will see. Once the z06 and zr1 come out I mean we could be 2.5 seconds or less to 60 which will be insane. Pricing is a real strong point for this new c8 considering its competitors, so it should do well. Overall I like it and I would get one.

Well, I see potential in the styling. You can see the influence and compromises (as expected) dictated by clueless product developers and brand managers. The forced 'CamaroVette' rear styling is terrible, and they didn't need any cues that look back...the car is no longer like the past versions. I bet the designers have a cleaner, more futuristic bodywork waiting in the wings for the restyle we will get in about 3 years when the people at the top finally realize they screwed up.

Well, I see potential in the styling. You can see the influence and compromises (as expected) dictated by clueless product developers and brand managers. The forced 'CamaroVette' rear styling is terrible, and they didn't need any cues that look back...the car is no longer like the past versions. I bet the designers have a cleaner, more futuristic bodywork waiting in the wings for the restyle we will get in about 3 years when the people at the top finally realize they screwed up.

You'd have thought that given it's a whole new platform and the brand's halo car that they (the GM/Corvette styling and marketing departments) would use this opportunity to re-imagine the brand's styling language and not just slap slightly refreshed current C7/Camaro design clues on a mid-engined shape.

corvette-side.jpg

It also appears to sit quite high. Don't know if it's just the camera angles used in these press shots, but slap some matt-black plastic wheel arch covers on it and it wouldn't look out of place with a 'Corvette Allroad' badge on the back.

Used prices on C7s are going to hold strong I'd say after looking at this.
Couldn’t disagree more. It may be an uglier looking car, but a big chunk of C7 owners /lessees will get their hands on a C8 the moment it hits the showroom, C7s will be pretty cheap soon.

They've made somewhere in the region of 120,000 C7's in it's various guises. I don't think any success or failure in the C8 is going to affect the used prices of C7's in general. The more focused and special edition models will hold values, but then they would anyway as it's always the collectors and enthusiasts who go for them.

corvette-side-jpg.836764

It also appears to sit quite high. Don't know if it's just the camera angles used in these press shots, but slap some matt-black plastic wheel arch covers on it and it wouldn't look out of place with a 'Corvette Allroad' badge on the back.
Lots of body above the rear wheels too. Seems really tall at the back from that angle.

Honestly, I'd not be surprised if this had showed up at SEMA as the Corvaro, a custom-built, mid-engined, Corvette/Camaro mashup in the style of the Eckert's Mach Forty.

Absolutely knacking.

Unpopular opinion: I'm not crazy about the design of this new Corvette. To me It doesn't feel right making it rear engine. It looks too similar to a Ferrari for me. If they dropped the Corvette name and called it the Chevy Zora, I would most likely accept it. Maybe it will grow on me

Looks terrible. Shape, proportions and styling wise it's 10-15 years behind other MR cars of that size. To be expected i guess with it being a first stab at producing a mid-engined car.

Nailed it... I couldn't have said it better...

I really want GM and Chevrolet to succeed with the new Corvette.... But man, first initial impression of this C8... I really miss the C7, which I consider to be the not so pretty Corvette already...

The design for this C8 is a mess

Personally I though GM would release two version of the Corvette C8, the MR and the FR layouts at the same time...
I wasn't expecting they would be so bold as to release just one...

I am sure a lot of people will like this well priced C8MR, but this car DOES NOTHING to me...

Plain ugly and looks so unbalanced...

Makes a more expensive Acura/Honda NSX looks like a piece of art now... Time for the NSX to get new customers?

I am sad for the Corvette...

Eagerly waiting for the C9 now...

The front looks ok, but the rest just doesn't do it for me. It just doesn't look like a Corvette in my eyes.
It's also giving me some serious Burnout Revenge flashbacks for whatever reason.

Edit: probably the reason for the Burnout flashbacks. To me that just screams Burnout so much.
corvette-side-jpg.836764

Last edited:
Lots of body above the rear wheels too. Seems really tall at the back from that angle.

I'd hazard a guess that having to be a 'useable everyday car' as the Corvette is usually sold as, it still has to accommodate a golf bag-sized luggage compartment behind the engine.

Back