MR Corvette C8 - General Discussion

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,295 comments
I would understand this critics if it was about the recent ferraris... but from the last 20 years ?
599, california, F12, 458 etc were all quite "simple" designs. The weird angular overdone, complicated, busy, spaceship-like shapes are post 2012 or so, and this kind of terrible design is pretty much the hallmark of the C8.

Yes, the past 20 years. The last really good looking Ferrari, in my opinion, was the 360 with the last great looking one being the 355. This puts that transition in 1999. Since then, the design language has really fallen off the rails.

And the C8 is a god-awful mess of design too. I mentioned this before but it sits too high, the wheels are too small, and the proportions are all out of whack.

The way I see it though, I wouldn't buy an ugly car sports/supercar unless that car was a statement. A Ferrari is a statement, even if it's one of the uglier ones it has massive snob factor which the C8 can't come close to competing with. It will be ridiculously fast for it's price I'm sure, and I'm sure becuase of it's price it will sell very well, but I don't think it will take a single sale away from Ferrari.

I agree with this and really in the grand scheme of things any Ferrari is targeting a different market than the C8. This is best exemplified by the fact that GM made a point to show how the C8 can fit two golf bags. If that's not targeting the aging Boomer I don't know what is. I can't see the F8 being able to do that, although since it was just unveiled in Geneva, I might be wrong about it.

And yes, the C8 will sell incredibly well...at least in America. It'll also, presumably, be one of the best bangs for the buck you can get here too in terms of outright performance. I can't see it being a hit elsewhere in the world, but I'm not sure it really ever was.

Woah. Just Woah. I could understand people not liking some of the recent ferrari models, but now this is just screaming "I have poor taste and I'm proud of it"

As opposed to this post reading "I can't comprehend others having different opinions on something as subjective as design, so they must be wrong."?

Modern Ferraris are full of fussy design lines. The general proportions aren't as awkward as the new C8 though.

So I stumbled across these on Facebook:

67582536_2442119099182644_7646696706498625536_o.jpg

67376050_2442119179182636_8122574921072115712_o.jpg

67401815_2442119229182631_4304649337696157696_o.jpg

67363039_2442119292515958_1625328002625699840_o.jpg

67419104_2442119349182619_7958108202262855680_o.jpg

I'm going to talk to our GM to see if our Chevy dealers can get these sample boards because they're awesome.

Yes, the past 20 years. The last really good looking Ferrari, in my opinion, was the 360 with the last great looking one being the 355. This puts that transition in 1999. Since then, the design language has really fallen off the rails.

And the C8 is a god-awful mess of design too. I mentioned this before but it sits too high, the wheels are too small, and the proportions are all out of whack.

I agree with this and really in the grand scheme of things any Ferrari is targeting a different market than the C8. This is best exemplified by the fact that GM made a point to show how the C8 can fit two golf bags. If that's not targeting the aging Boomer I don't know what is. I can't see the F8 being able to do that, although since it was just unveiled in Geneva, I might be wrong about it.

And yes, the C8 will sell incredibly well...at least in America. It'll also, presumably, be one of the best bangs for the buck you can get here too in terms of outright performance. I can't see it being a hit elsewhere in the world, but I'm not sure it really ever was.
The C8 corvette will be available here in Australia for the first time ever, and it's sold out so it's a big deal.

The C8 corvette will be available here in Australia for the first time ever, and it's sold out so it's a big deal.
Do they have it in your showrooms already? How does it look like in RHD form?

Last edited:
That bronze really is the way to go as far as I'm concerned, but it seems like every one I've seen in that color has "beige" (or whatever Chevrolet calls it*) wheels. What's wrong with silver? I'd even take gloss black.

*Pewter.

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com%2Fthe-drive-cms-content-staging%2Fmessage-editor%252F1564675275469-c8wheeloptions.jpg

Who are they kidding? It's beige.

Last edited:
All Corvettes have had TWO THINGS in COMMON
· Front-engine RWD layout
· V8 as its main enginge

The C8 is NOT a Corvette. Call it whatever, GM, but it's not a Corvette. I hope it's nowhere near a success.

All Corvettes have had TWO THINGS in COMMON
· Front-engine RWD layout
· V8 as its main enginge
Oops. It's like you're wilfully disregarding any examples--including very real, production examples--because they don't suit your chosen narrative.

What the Corvette has always been is Chevrolet's halo product; its top end performance option. Even when the Corvette was powered by an inline six and had a live rear axle, it was still smaller, lighter and more powerful than the other GM vehicles that served as part donors. As a halo vehicle, specifically one geared toward performance more than luxury...well the switch to an MR layout makes way too much sense and it's astonishing it didn't happen sooner with all of the proposals over the last 50+ years.

The C8 is NOT a Corvette. Call it whatever, GM, but it's not a Corvette.
Except it is. They even spelled it out on the rear.

I hope it's nowhere near a success.
Well that's more than just a little bit petty. You don't like it, and so you want the brand to hurt because of it. Sounds like someone who doesn't actually care about Corvettes and yet is simultaneously getting their knickers all knotted over it.

The car is awesome- truly lives up to the heritage. Make mine 2 years old post-lease, in Elkhart Lake Blue, please. (OK, maybe I'd go with a C7 for that clutch pedal?) Re: some of your comments- Joey D, kind of agree, but the F430 and 599 were both classic designs- last Pinin-penned modern Ferraris? C8 overall design is really good. I like that they resisted the "surpised cat" headlight designs so common now. Tail lights could have been better- no Corvette design heritage there. The only area where they totally boned it is the wheels. Bleh. I can only assume BBS/RAYS/etc. were paying Chevy to put ugly stock wheels on to pump the aftermarket.

I didn't even think of looking for a second one considering I was surprised to see the 1, the sad thing is I probably looked right at it considering where it's parked. :lol:

One thing I am disappointed about is that they didn't include it in the Corvette parade laps Sunday morning. It would have been nice to hear it while in motion.

Now I'm curious as to what they are going to bring to Road Atlanta in October. I just wonder if the C8.R race car will be revealed by then and they might have one sitting on display up in the manufacturer's area.

Back