MR Corvette C8 - General Discussion

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,295 comments
The opinion from the video above is probably overblown and exaggerated by driving the C8 back to back with the C7. That said even not so amateur reviewers are calling out the understeer.

Here's Randy Pobst:
https://www.motortrend.com/news/how-to-make-the-c8-corvette-handle-even-better/

Savagegeese annoys me. I appreciate their deeper technical insight than most reviewers (it's borderline unparalleled actually), but their painfully serious yet snarky smugness shtick gets old really fast.

*patiently waits for Speed Academy to get their hands on a C8*

I think there's is some degree of understeer in the car so amateur drivers do not kill themselves. Engineering explained talks about it:

I think there's is some degree of understeer in the car so amateur drivers do not kill themselves. Engineering explained talks about it:

Every street car is like that, it's standard practice. Except the GT86 which really is a unique case.

But also consider the case that actual race cars, especially ones with any degree of downforce, are also very stable. It's not for safety, it's for consistency. It's easy to go fast in a predictable car.

Those all season tires that come on the car and are mentioned in that video are impressive. All season tires have come a long way.

But also consider the case that actual race cars, especially ones with any degree of downforce, are also very stable. It's not for safety, it's for consistency. It's easy to go fast in a predictable car.

There's a difference between being stable and having massive understeer. At the IMSA weekend, I saw plenty of MR cars over-steering even prototypes. Maybe they'll improve it in the future, but I think GM overcooked the understeer here. And even with their "track" set up there's still too much. Yeah, this car will be bought by a larger audience than the typical MR car, but they didn't strike the right balance.

https://www.motoring.com.au/right-hand-drive-chevrolet-corvette-revealed-126288/
chev-corvette-insta-3.jpg

I got a call Thursday from a friend that his parents were in Kentucky at the Corvette plant to pick up their new C8 convertible and drive it back to Chicago, and that I should stop by this weekend to check it out.

He called me back today to say his parents picked up the car, drove it 23 miles from the plant, and the engine blew. Valve spring failure, engine is toast. There was a recall was issued for this the day after their C8 rolled off the line, engine replacement needed. He didn't go into much details, but I assume it is covered either by warranty or the recall. Still a bummer. Needless to say, he told me not to stop by this weekend.

I got a call Thursday from a friend that his parents were in Kentucky at the Corvette plant to pick up their new C8 convertible and drive it back to Chicago, and that I should stop by this weekend to check it out.

He called me back today to say his parents picked up the car, drove it 23 miles from the plant, and the engine blew. Valve spring failure, engine is toast. There was a recall was issued for this the day after their C8 rolled off the line, engine replacement needed. He didn't go into much details, but I assume it is covered either by warranty or the recall. Still a bummer. Needless to say, he told me not to stop by this weekend.

That sounds like a built-on-friday afternoon car if there ever was one. :lol:

Finally saw a C8 on the road. The back end is still a mess in person, but context does help because the car is more sports-car than it looks in one-off photos. So I'd say that the car does not photograph well, but even still, it's not particularly excellent looking. I go for sleeker styling in general though.

Finally saw a C8 on the road. The back end is still a mess in person, but context does help because the car is more sports-car than it looks in one-off photos. So I'd say that the car does not photograph well, but even still, it's not particularly excellent looking. I go for sleeker styling in general though.

Yeah. I've seen one in person. The back just looks so....not elegant. It's disappointing.

Information about 5 future C8 models were leaked to Motor Trend

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-chevrolet-corvette-c8-z06-zora-zr1-eray-rumors/

2022 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

The Corvette Z06 will have a naturally aspirated 5.5-liter flat-plane crank V-8, just like the 1-2 finishing C8.Rs at the Daytona 24. But instead of only 500 hp like the corked-up racecar makes, the street car will produce between 615 and 625 hp. Torque output should be similar to the racecar, at around 480 pound-feet. This means that the C8 Z06 will make less horsepower than the C7 Z06.

Price? I'm hearing around $80,000, which is obviously too good to be true and close to $10K less expensive than the last Z06.

2023 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1

Chevy will mutate the Z06 into the ZR1 by plumbing two turbochargers into the aforementioned 5.5-liter flat-plane V-8. Horsepower will be in the 825 to 850 range.

Beyond that, we know nothing more about the future ZR1. Price should start in the $120K neighborhood, similar to the C7 ZR1.

2023 Chevrolet Corvette PHEV

Probably called E-Ray, expect the Hybrid C8 to be an AWD plug-in hybrid (PHEV) with two motors on the front axle, and possibly a third motor pancaked between the dual-clutch transmission and engine. Kiss the frunk goodbye, as that space will be used for the front traction motors and batteries.

What will the engine be? Our source didn't have any new info for us on this one, other than to confirm that it's coming. But our educated bet is that the PHEV will rock the Z06's 5.5-liter NA V-8.

As for power, I figure the hybrid will slot in between the Z06 and the ZR1. A total system output of 775 hp feels about right. $100,000 for such a machine makes sense.

2024 Chevrolet Corvette Electric

General Motors would like to sell totally emissions-free cars by 2035 and be carbon neutral as a corporation by 2040. [...] We're sure it's coming, and it's safe to assume that the technology in the C8 Hybrid will be shared with EV.

2025 Chevrolet Corvette Zora

he Zora will use the twin-turbo V-8 from the ZR1 and the hybrid system from the hybrid—E-Ray or whatever it ends up being called. If you figure on 850 hp from the gas engine, and 150 hp from the EV components, that gets you right to 1,000 hp.

I'm actually excited about a few of those, if they're true and I'm glad that they'll use Zora's name for one of the trims. Though I'm also hoping that there's a Grand Sport somewhere in the future of the C8 lineup.

They are also putting a rush job on getting rid of the awful button layout, so maybe they can fix the steering wheel too.
Do people not like the wheel or something? I think it's a pretty cool look.

I saw another C8 a few days ago in San Francisco from a good 85ft away, the first convertible C8 I've seen in person. From that distance, from the side, and it being the convertible version...it really does pull off the exotic car look in a way no front-engined Corvette ever could have.

Latest Posts

Back