MR Corvette C8 - General Discussion

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,295 comments
I think he wrote that he will be waiting for a Z06 now.

Crunch crunch
This happened to a guy I know. He bought a C7 Stingray Z51 and when he had his first maintenance done at the dealership the porters (dealership drivers that move the cars) took it out for a drive and totalled it. He ended up with a new Z06 after the dealership "corrected" the situation.

What's up with that understeer?

I remember reading somewhere that the understeer was tuned in intentionally to keep people from wrecking their Vette. You’ve gotta remember that the base Vette is more of a Grand Tourer rather than a sports car, similar to the base 911. so they’ve more so tuned it to be comfortable to daily rather than destroy the track, I imagine that future versions, especially the Z06, will tune out that understeer as it aims more for Supercar territory.

What's up with that understeer?
They put the engine behind the driver and made the car a relatively affordable direct Ferrari fighter but don't want to be held responsible for the genocide of Corvette owners as soon as one (1) raindrop hits the road like Toyota had to deal with 30 years ago. Base Fieros pushed like a dump truck for the same reason.

Aftermarket will take care of it pretty quick.

Last edited:
They put the engine behind the driver and made the car a relatively affordable direct Ferrari fighter but don't want to be held responsible for the genocide of Corvette owners as soon as one (1) raindrop hits the road like Toyota had to deal with 30 years ago. Base Fieros pushed like a dump truck for the same reason.

Aftermarket will take care of it pretty quick.

The Fiero also had Chevy Chevette front suspension. So there's that.

In reality, the C8 probably just needs some alignment adjustments. The Boxster/Cayman has always been a fairly neutral platform, and I don't imagine the customer base is all that more skilled. The C8 will obviously be carrying more speed into corners, but the tradeoff being that pressing the loud-pedal out of corners is probably a lot more stable than the C7.

I remember reading somewhere that the understeer was tuned in intentionally to keep people from wrecking their Vette. You’ve gotta remember that the base Vette is more of a Grand Tourer rather than a sports car, similar to the base 911. so they’ve more so tuned it to be comfortable to daily rather than destroy the track, I imagine that future versions, especially the Z06, will tune out that understeer as it aims more for Supercar territory.

Hey, if the Mustang crowd can handle it...wait no

That makes total sense. It should take care of the 90+% of buyers that will be just driving around town or to the local golf course.

Z06

2022-chevrolet-corvette-z06-spy-shots--photo-credit-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100749698_h.jpg

2022-chevrolet-corvette-z06-spy-shots--photo-credit-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100749701_h.jpg

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1126722_2022-chevrolet-corvette-z06-spy-shots-video

Well, it's an opportunity to tune out some of the awkwardness in the rear end styling. Or not...which is mush more likely.

OT and not necessarily directed at the quoted individual, but what is that ugly thing in front of the two camouflaged C8s in the second pic? 991? 992? GT2? GT3?

Edit: I'm blind, it seems. GT2 RS, I guess. ... 991?

OT and not necessarily directed at the quoted individual, but what is that ugly thing in front of the two camouflaged C8s in the second pic? 991? 992? GT2? GT3?

Edit: I'm blind, it seems. GT2 RS, I guess. ... 991?
Yep, it's a Porsche 991 GT2 RS

I haven't been a huge fan of the C8. I still love the C7 Z06/ZR1 but I did see this blacked out Z51 C8 today, it looked ok in person (I like it in black) but overall it still doesn't look right. I like the wing it looks less awkward than the smaller spoiler imo, but I dont think its visually pleasing with 4 mounts, I think it would look better with 2. I hope the Z06/ZR1 is wide body like the C6 and C7.
IMG_6179.jpg

IMG_6167.jpg

IMG_6168.jpg

IMG_6169.jpg

IMG_6172.jpg

IMG_6176.jpg

IMG_6177.jpg

IMG_6170.jpg

Last edited:
I disagree, I think it's one of the better colors, if not the best. I like red as well.
Different strokes for different folks.
Didn't say it has to do with the color i'm sure that back end will look ugly no matter the color :lol:

But as you said different strokes for different folks.:dopey:

Didn't say it has to do with the color i'm sure that back end will look ugly no matter the color :lol:

But as you said different strokes for different folks.:dopey:
Oh I misred your post, I thought you said that black is never gonna grow on you, like the color lol. Yeah I definitely have my reservations about the C8 too. It does look like they basically slapped the C7 tailights on it. I still prefer the C6Z and C7Z.

Last edited:
Since two Americans before me say that they don't like the C8, I'm sure I can say, without insulting anyone, that this C8 is :yuck:.

I like the front view, and back view, despite ugly-ish has grown on me because of its aggressiveness, but the side view, with the weird tail extension for the trunk, and the front lights that stick out way to much, is really bad imo. Hopefully the ZO6/ZR1 correct all the things that stick out as ugly

I haven't been a huge fan of the C8. I still love the C7 Z06/ZR1 but I did see this blacked out Z51 C8 today, it looked ok in person (I like it in black) but overall it still doesn't look right. I like the wing it looks less awkward than the smaller spoiler imo, but I dont think its visually pleasing with 4 mounts, I think it would look better with 2. I hope the Z06/ZR1 is wide body like the C6 and C7.
View attachment 939849
View attachment 939850
View attachment 939851
View attachment 939852
View attachment 939853
View attachment 939854
View attachment 939855
View attachment 939856

Holy **** a high wing spoiler in the wild

So let's talk about understeer.

I've seen a lot of amateur-driver reviewers say things like "terminal understeer" and it shows them driving at a constant pace around a long corner and the car is just understeering away, right? Weirdly, they're always on a small track with tight corners that don't appear much bigger than a kart track.

It's making me curious if they're driving the car correctly. We're talking about a mid-engined car with 490 hp here, it's designed to go fast. And as we all know, handling characteristics at the limit are different at different speeds. Some cars are horrendous at low speed - lots of mid-engined cars with relatively small front tires - but light up at high speeds when driven at the limit. This thing is not a Miata or even a Mustang, it wasn't designed to dance around at low speeds, it was designed to be a GT car on the street and also very fast on track.

All the videos I'm seeing look like a properly stable high-speed machine that handles like a *real* race car. Stable, consistent, easy to drive. I think most of the people reviewing the car just don't spend enough time driving at 10/10 or even 9/10 to appreciate why stability and consistency matters. I think these reviewers just have completely wrong expectations, and aren't using the car correctly.

The opinion from the video above is probably overblown and exaggerated by driving the C8 back to back with the C7. That said even not so amateur reviewers are calling out the understeer.

Here's Randy Pobst:
https://www.motortrend.com/news/how-to-make-the-c8-corvette-handle-even-better/

More weight to the rear helps traction under acceleration in the C8. It puts down the LT power very well from low speeds, but here's another chance to be even better: There's still too much midcorner understeer .

My hypothesis is that Team Corvette is working to compensate for the off-power oversteer tendency. My humble armchair advice to Mike Petrucci and his engineering team is to use the terrific limited-slip e-diff, a trick learned from years of racing the tail-heavy Porsche 911.

Seriously, I always post corny jokes when saying what a car reminds me of, but maybe styling the rear like a Mosler, would be aesthetically pleasing. Seriously.

Back